• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex Subway pitchman Jared Fogle attacked in bloody Colorado prison brawl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortemis

Banned
Damn, so Nigg inherited guns from his father, and since he was a convicted criminal he couldn't have kept it or sold it. That step-mom is a real piece of work.

Oh so if you're better than someone else that gives you the right to beat them up? Good to know.

I didn't beat him up, nor would I.

But if someone else chooses to do so then they face whatever repercussions exist for that behavior at that prison.

An action results in reaction. If Fogle hadn't raped children, he wouldn't be in the position where he could get assaulted by a member of a prison population.

The only people worthy of any sympathy, empathy and outrage at what happened to them are the children. That's it.

Rembrandt

Banned
Eh, a pedophile getting beat up on prison is low on my list of things I feel bad about. It's one of those things where I'm like "sure, we should be all for rehabilitation," but also like "so much worse shit is going on in prison not involving pedophiles that one getting beat up doesn't make me feel bad at all."

Fuck this dude. He's going to continue to get his ass beat but I feel like they're going to move him for gen pop soon enough.

studyguy

Americanprisonsystems.jpg

Even the worst shouldn't haven to deal with such shitty situations within prison. Shit's fucked all around.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I didn't beat him up, nor would I.

But if someone else chooses to do so then they face whatever repercussions exist for that behavior at that prison.

An action results in reaction. If Fogle hadn't raped children, he wouldn't be in the position where he could get assaulted by a member of a prison population.

The only people worthy of any sympathy, empathy and outrage at what happened to them are the children. That's it.

Britain in 1788 agrees with you.

Symphonia

Banned
I don't feel bad for him per se, but it's still assault. You don't have to like the victim for it to be a crime.

Justice has been dealt, and the judicial system has punished him. He's there until 2029. I imagine life behind bars is pretty grim without the violence. No-one has the right to take the law in to their own hands and deal what they consider fair punishment.

Edit: Cosmic, who's sympathising with Fogle? Show me the EXACT post(s) where they say they feel sorry for him.

PsychBat!

Banned
Cosmic, who's sympathising with Fogle? Show me the EXACT post(s) where they say they feel sorry for him.

Who's saying it isn't a crime? People are just saying they don't care.

heh

I feel like people in this thread are reminding other people that beating up a pedophile is still a crime when NO ONE has ever said that it wasn't. People can keep bringing it up but anyone who does from here on out should be called Captain Obvious.

Just gonna say that no one cares if it is a crime.

This is me feeling sorry for Jared the Pedophile:

happy-face-clipart-y4T9gyjiE.jpeg

Yea, this is what happens to sex offenders in jail. He's lucky he only got a bloody nose and some scratches.

Nigg should get a year of solitary for that.

I mean, he didn't try to kill him or otherwise do grievous bodily harm. Maybe you don't realize what a year of being by yourself is. That's one of the grossest overreactions I've read in some time.

Nipo

Should be rewarded instead

Cool. Do you have a list of crimes you're ok with prisoners being beaten for? Do we have to let other prisoners do the assault or can the state do ti too? If Norway can treat a person who murdered 70 people in a humane manner I think the US should be able to prevent assaults and rapes in prison.

Rembrandt

Banned
it's totally possible to not symphathize with him and still think that this should not happen in prisons.

It shouldn't but I wouldn't be using this example right here to tell people that.

And yeah, we all know it's a crime. Idk why people keep saying that like we think it's legal.

Wow this thread. He has done a despicable act by allowing all those children to be abused by the head of his foundation, and in fact it seems he actively ENCOURAGED it, but still, two wrongs don't make a right. He has recieved just punishment from the court already, and he will rot in a cell for 15 years contemplating what he has done and what a terrible human being he is.

ApharmdX

Banned
As much as it makes me smile that a guy like him, with that life's story, took a moment to beat the shit out of Jared Fogel... C'mon. That's not how shit should be done.

Prison violence is like this de facto layer of punishment that we almost glorify at this point. I won't shed a tear for Fogel but it's not a good thing that you can count on getting your ass beat in prison.

I generally agree with the sentiment of your post, and I've argued on here against prison rape for sex offenders (disgusting that it's glorified!), but it's hard caring that an admitted pedophile got a beating. Nigg shouldn't have done that, but the poster I quoted said that he should get solitary for a year. No, he shouldn't. A week in solitary, then let him out.

I don't give a single fuck about Jared, but whoever just let him into gen pop knowing full well what they do to guys like him is an asshole.

Still, that beatdown was only a fraction of the amount of pain all the kids he assaulted or were in his image/video collection (he had about 5.6 terabytes across multiple devices) experienced.

I really hate stories like these.

ColdPizza

Banned
I'm at work but I just read an article that said Jared had gained 30 lbs since his incarceration. It had a quote from someone stating that he could eat an entire box of honey buns in one sitting.

I guess prison isn't treating him well but my first thought was, how does he have access to that much food? Maybe he took the guy's dessert?

Some prisons have systems where you work a job and can buy foods and other supplies from a commissary.

You can buy candy and snacks, etc.

shingi70

Banned
Wow this thread. He has done a despicable act by allowing all those children to be abused by the head of his foundation, and in fact it seems he actively ENCOURAGED it, but still, two wrongs don't make a right. He has recieved just punishment from the court already, and he will rot in a cell for 15 years contemplating what he has done and what a terrible human being he is.

If you multiplying they do.

23qwerty

good. lol at people saying this is a bad thing though holy shit. we don't need to defend that scumbag

So genuinely curious about part of his charges. Weren't the prostitutes he slept with out of the country? I could have sworn I read that somewhere. If so how could he be charged under US law for acts he committed outside the country?
referring to children as prostitutes is... interesting phrasing to say the least

You'd have to be a badass to survive prison with that name.

Also, Jared should never be allowed out. You can't reform such a deep perversion, you just can't.

23qwerty

You advocate violence?
Not the typical GAF user. Most of GAF is liberal and doesn't like violence.

Then again there is a huge wrestiling, boxing, and MMA fanbase here too. People like watching others fight, punch, and kick each other.
against pedophiles and rapists? obviously.
side eyeing the fuck outta anyone who doesn't

and no I don't give a fuck about professional fighting lol

TM94

Cool. Do you have a list of crimes you're ok with prisoners being beaten for? Do we have to let other prisoners do the assault or can the state do ti too? If Norway can treat a person who murdered 70 people in a humane manner I think the US should be able to prevent assaults and rapes in prison.

I'm more than ok with pedophiles getting beaten

Ishida

Banned
You advocate violence?
Not the typical GAF user. Most of GAF is liberal and doesn't like violence.

You haven't been in GAF long enough, it seems. Lots and lots of people here are perfectly fine with violence as long as it serves their own brand of "justice".

good. lol at people saying this is a bad thing though holy shit. we don't need to defend that scumbag

Nobody here is defending Jared specifically. It's that the unwritten punishments that can come with being detained in prison is too much for some to cheer.

Look at Nigg's story here. A lot of people here agree that he didn't deserve to become a lifer, but he still did and he had to spend years trying to avoid all the horrible shit that can happen to prisoners that the public either overlooks or sees a joke. Getting caught up in gang warefare, other acts of physical violence, rape, contracting diseases from said rape, the list goes on. Being able to hear a "happy" story about a child molester getting beat up every once in a while isn't worth all the horrible stuff that others who don't even come close to deserving not being addressed because society has decided that it's just how prison life should be.

RedSparc

Banned
You haven't been in GAF long enough, it seems. Lots and lots of people here are perfectly fine with violence as long as it serves their own brand of "justice".

I would say GAF is more authoritarian and libertarian then liberal. They want liberal social policies but fuck all when we start bombing anyone. Don't look up, you might find yourself at a bloodletting.

23qwerty

Nobody here is defending Jared specifically. It's that the unwritten punishments that can come with being detained in prison is too much for some to cheer.

Look at Nigg's story here. A lot of people here agree that he didn't deserve to become a lifer, but he still did and he had to spend years trying to avoid all the horrible shit that can happen to prisoners that the public either overlooks or sees a joke. Getting caught up in gang warefare, other acts of physical violence, rape, contracting diseases from said rape, the list goes on. Being able to hear a "happy" story about a child molester getting beat up every once in a while isn't worth all the horrible stuff that others who don't even come close to deserving not being addressed because society has decided that it's just how prison life should be.
It's unfortunate for a lot of people obviously, but this is objectively a good thing that occurred here and it's disturbing that there's a lot of people acting like it ain't

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I don't understand the reference.

In any case, a thread full of people sympathizing with Fogle isn't a good place to be. So, good day to you all.
Brush up on your history then.

And condemning prison violence is sympathizing with criminals now? Wow.

It's unfortunate for a lot of people obviously, but this is objectively a good thing that occurred here and there's a lot of people acting like it ain't

When you look at it as an isolated incident, sure. But in the big picture, it can't be ignored that the reason why this was even able to happen in the first place was due to an institutional problem. It's no secret at this point about what happens when child sex offenders are sent to gen pop, but it was still allowed to happen in this situation anyways. I'll say once again, that Fogle is an absolutely disgusting human being and deserves no direct sympathy, but his sentence didn't include being put up as a stress toy for other inmates. This isn't how our legal system should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom