• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex UFC Champ Quinton "Rampage" Jackson arrested for hit and run

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefro

Dave Meltzer has the scoop, as usual

http://www.f4wonline.com/content/view/6018/105/

Quinton Jackson was pulled over this afternoon and taken to police headquarters after a car accident near Newport Beach, CA. He's been charged with felony hit and run, reckless driving and felony evading arrest.

According to the Costa Mesa police, an officer observed him driving with a flat tire and talking on his cell phone and attempted to pull him over. He ignored the officer and continued driving with the officer in pursuit. Police had received a report of a vehicle with his photo on it involved in a collision on the 55 Freeway in Costa Mesa, that struck other vehicles and fled the scene, according to Lt. Paul Dondero.

The chase continued with the vehicle weaving in and out of traffic, including at one point driving on the wrong side of the road and even on a sidewalk, scaring pedestrians.

The officer saw the vehicle in a second collision while driving toward Newport Beach. Nobody was believed to have been injured in the collisions.

The car continued to Newport Beach where the tire blew out and came off the rim and he was taken into the Orange County jail, where he is being held on $25,000 bail.

UFC president Dana White flew to Orange County upon getting the word of Jackson's arrest and was driving to the county jail, believed to be to post bond.

More links

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_y...YcB?slug=ki-jackson070808&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

TMZ has the photos
http://photos.tmz.com/galleries/rampage_arrested
mr7hug.jpg

2ef115c.jpg

i wonder if Dana will now kick him out of the UFC for giving fighters a bad name...hold on, let me fix that...i FUCKING wonder if Dana FUCKING White will FUCKING kick him out of the FUCKING UF MOTHERFUCKING C for giving FUCKING fighters a bad FUCKING name.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
mr7hug.jpg

This made me lol hard.

Funny on so many levels......... who has a picture of themselves on their car...... :lol and cops scared of even the picture of him "Dont touch it, he mad dangeous" "Dont worry i got a gun"

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
mr7hug.jpg

This made me lol hard.

Funny on so many levels......... who has a picture of themselves on their car...... :lol and cops scared of even the picture of him "Dont touch it, he mad dangeous" "Dont worry i got a gun"

isn't he getting cuffed on the ground behind them?

I love that he has a PICTURE of himself on the truck and thought he might be able to flee the scene...

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

Blackace said:
isn't he getting cuffed on the ground behind them?

I love that he has a PICTURE of himself on the truck and thought he might be able to flee the scene...

lol yup, standard police procedure i guess, dont know whats going on behind that tint.

Mugen

Banned
mr7hug.jpg

This made me lol hard.

The cops aren't scared of the picture. They're preparing to open the car door.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

Mugen said:

Thanks Captain Obvious, i would never have realised that on my own............

It looks like they are reaching out to touch the picture and its funny.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Ninja Scooter said:
i wonder if Dana will now kick him out of the UFC for giving fighters a bad name...hold on, let me fix that...i FUCKING wonder if Dana FUCKING White will FUCKING kick him out of the FUCKING UF MOTHERFUCKING C for giving FUCKING fighters a bad FUCKING name.

Yeah, I am thinking Dana will give him another chance. If he wasn't a star, then he would be gone. But wtf was going on with Quinton? Was he drunk, high? What?

smurfx

get some go again
dskillzhtown said:
Yeah, I am thinking Dana will give him another chance. If he wasn't a star, then he would be gone. But wtf was going on with Quinton? Was he drunk, high? What?
if i had to guess he was probably high on something and ran from the original crash and then got freaked out when the cops wanted to pull him over and everything spiraled down from there. wonder how much time he will get in jail. no way is he walking from this. what a dumbass he probably lost a huge amount of fans he had in the ufc and even more important sponsorships. i don't think toyo tires is gonna appreciate a guy they are sponsoring running from the cops and being associated with a criminal.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
First image in my head was Rampage punching the shit out of someone and taking off running.

<shrugs>

JimiNutz

Banned
I just found out over in a E3 thread of all places :lol

It's a real shame. Rampage is one of my favourite fighters and comes across as a genuinely nice guy. What was that fool thinking.

JTran2003

Kintaro said:
First image in my head was Rampage punching the shit out of someone and taking off running.

<shrugs>

thats actually what i thought as well. Rampage is a good fighter. I hope Dana keeps him in the UFC but i kinda doubt that. was really looking forward to Jackson vs. Griffin rematch.

Boogie

JTran2003 said:
thats actually what i thought as well. Rampage is a good fighter. I hope Dana keeps him in the UFC but i kinda doubt that. was really looking forward to Jackson vs. Griffin rematch.

EXTREMELY unlikely that Dana drops Rampage because of this. Especially if he's the one posting Rampage's bail.

The Yahoo article said Dana posted his bail, so that's a good sign. This story makes me sad. Page has been one of my fave fighters and mma personalities since Pride. I know he's said he has anger management issues, and during Pride he had that conversion to Christianity when he stopped swearing and carried a bible to the ring. During the TUF season, he was pissed off and speeding thru the parking lot in his car, and i remember thinking, wow, that's really unsafe. Still a great fighter and compelling personality; hope he can make amends and get his shit together.

Boogie

Dark FaZe said:
WTF RAMPAGE??

:(

He's DONE!!! :\

While INCREDIBLY STUPID, this 'rampage' might only net him around 90 days in jail, tops (depending on any previous record he might have).

The police officer in me says that he is an utter moron for this, as he could have seriously hurt someone, and that he deserves punishment for it.

The fight fan in me realizes that, provided there aren't any underlying issues with his state of mind, this probably won't affect his fight career that much.

FightyF

Banned
Mugen said:

They're reaching for his nipple and you know it!

It almost looks like they're trapped behind the "TMZ".

Yeah, that means it's time for bed...

Mugen

Banned
Thanks Captain Obvious, i would never have realised that on my own............

It looks like they are reaching out to touch the picture and its funny.

Yeah, but you thought it was funny that the cops were scared of the Rampage picture. It's good that you figured it out eventually though.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

Mugen said:
Yeah, but you thought it was funny that the cops were scared of the Rampage picture. It's good that you figured it out eventually though.

Errr no i knew what the cops where doing to begin with, im not a half wit like you seem to be..... and it is funny, see above edited pics to see the LOL's.

iddqd

he seemed to be a nice and fun guy during the last season.
hope he´s not getting dropped by the ufc.. a rematch against forrest would be nice!

JimiNutz

Banned
It's not looking good for Quinton at the moment

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/jackson-under-mental-evaluation-13712

“A couple of friends flagged down officers in front of the Jackson home,” said Lt. Rick Handfield, of the Irvine police dept. “An acquaintance asked the officer to help because they felt Mr. Jackson might be a threat to himself or others.”

A friend close to Jackson said the fighter had slept and ate little in the last few days.

It is believed that Jackson is being held for 72-hour observation under standard protocol for “5150” detainees, which is law enforcement vernacular for a “mentally unstable” individual. During the three-day period, the patient is not able to check himself out of medical custody while an evaluation is made. Medical officials could extend that period if they deem the patient is mentally unfit.

Man I hope he gets better soon. He comes across as a genuinely nice guy and he's got amazing talent and personality. Hopefully this isn't a long term problem and he'll be back to full health soon. MMA won't be the same without him :(

Blackace

NutJobJim said:
Man I hope he gets better soon. He comes across as a genuinely nice guy and he's got amazing talent and personality. Hopefully this isn't a long term problem and he'll be back to full health soon. MMA won't be the same without him :(

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol Bullshit! I have met Mr Jackson a few times and he is a true asshat..

I don't wish him any harm, but just because his life got out of his control doesn't mean we need to sugar coat anything..

Fusebox

Banned
He seemed like an absolutely dead-set legend of a nice guy on TUF S7, I'm wondering what you must have done to get an asshat response from him.

JimiNutz

Banned
Blackace said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol Bullshit! I have met Mr Jackson a few times and he is a true asshat..

I don't wish him any harm, but just because his life got out of his control doesn't mean we need to sugar coat anything..

Really? Was that a long time ago when he was fighting in Pride? I've never met him personally but in all the interviews I've seen him in he is always pleasant, modest, and funny. It's true I've seen footage of him acting like a complete dick in Japan, and he can certainly play the clown, but that was a long time ago and he went through a huge reformation a couple years ago. I know it's a tv show and that he could just be putting it on for camera but did you see his recent stint as a coach on TUF? I though he came across very well there and seemed like a genuinely good man.

Blackace

Fusebox said:
He seemed like an absolutely dead-set legend of a nice guy on TUF S7, I'm wondering what you must have done to get an asshat response from him.

I hardly talked to him. Just sat back stage with Bob Sapp. But he treated all of Japanese fans like ass.

Watching anyone in an interview is a lot different than behind closed doors.

Also, he most likely has mental problems as well...so its not totally his fault

Blackace

NutJobJim said:
Really? Was that a long time ago when he was fighting in Pride? I've never met him personally but in all the interviews I've seen him in he is always pleasant, modest, and funny. It's true I've seen footage of him acting like a complete dick in Japan, and he can certainly play the clown, but that was a long time ago and he went through a huge reformation a couple years ago. I know it's a tv show and that he could just be putting it on for camera but did you see his recent stint as a coach on TUF? I though he came across very well there and seemed like a genuinely good man.

Yeah it was in Japan. And maybe he has changed. But I have seen him behind closed doors without any cameras.. The man has issues. Hopefully he will get them taken care of, but I am not going to say he is a "nice" guy from the stuff I have seen him do and heard him say...

:lol I really hope that's not his own personal vehicle. I don't care who you are, who the fuck drives around with their picture plastered on their car?

I can't believe I didn't see this until today.

Blackace

Dark Octave said:
:lol I really hope that's not his own personal vehicle. I don't care who you are, who the fuck drives around with their picture plastered on their car?

Karl Malone!

JimiNutz

Banned
Blackace said:
Yeah it was in Japan. And maybe he has changed. But I have seen him behind closed doors without any cameras.. The man has issues. Hopefully he will get them taken care of, but I am not going to say he is a "nice" guy from the stuff I have seen him do and heard him say...

I've seen footage of him in Japan and at times he acted horribly to the fans and the Japanese people in general, but I truly believe that people can change. He's admitted that he's done some horrible things and that he's now trying to be a different man, and I think you can really see it in the way he presents himself now. He also admitted that he used to have a lot of anger management issues, which he managed to control thanks to professional help.

Nobody is perfect, and I know that I personally have done a lot of stupid and shameful things in the past, but I have huge respect for those that acknowledge their mistakes and faults and then make huge efforts to correct them. Quinton strikes me as one such man and although it looks like he's had a little relapse here I'm sure hell come through in the end. If you can try and watch the most recent season of TUF you may find that you see a totally different Rampage.

Dark Octave said:

I can't believe I didn't see this until today.

I'm not 100% certain but I'm pretty sure I saw in a video that the truck was a gift from either the UFC or a sponsor

Blackace

NutJobJim said:
I've seen footage of him in Japan and at times he acted horribly to the fans and the Japanese people in general, but I truly believe that people can change. He's admitted that he's done some horrible things and that he's now trying to be a different man, and I think you can really see it in the way he presents himself now. He also admitted that he used to have a lot of anger management issues, which he managed to control thanks to professional help.

Nobody is perfect, and I know that I personally have done a lot of stupid and shameful things in the past, but I have huge respect for those that acknowledge their mistakes and faults and then make huge efforts to correct them. Quinton strikes me as one such man and although it looks like he's had a little relapse here I'm sure hell come through in the end. If you can try and watch the most recent season of TUF you may find that you see a totally different Rampage.

Hopefully he really did change. But all I can say is the stuff I have seen ( not the tame stuff you have seen on tape/camcorder) left a real sour taste in my mouth.

He was always pretty cool to me, so it isn't like a personal thing from me to him.

I really think he has true mental problems and hope he can find a true balance for them..

Fusebox

Banned
Blackace said:
I hardly talked to him. Just sat back stage with Bob Sapp. But he treated all of Japanese fans like ass.

Watching anyone in an interview is a lot different than behind closed doors.

Not interviews, the majority of TUF is pretty candid footage, but if he was treating Japanese fans like crap then thats not cool.

Blackace

Fusebox said:
Not interviews, the majority of TUF is pretty candid footage, but if he was treating Japanese fans like crap then thats not cool.

Well this was after he "converted" but he still maganged to have a child from a different woman that caused his Japanese wife, Yuki to leave him. But whatever...

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Don't think this will impact his ability to fight in the UFC at all. He'll have to repair the reputation with the fans, but as long as he stays out of the public eye for a while, everything will be alright in the long-term.

Fusebox

Banned
Fisticuffs said:
I learned from TUF that Rampage is a horrible cornerman :D

For sure, unless you like hearing your coach going "Oooh, owww, tttsss, oh maaan" every time you get smashed. :lol

Tuvoc

The officer at the far left had the best idea of shielding himself with the tailgate. Ya know, just incase Rampage bursts through the roof of the truck and starts raining bullets down at the ground.

Pimpwerx

That sucks. I didn't even have the heart to watch the Forrest fight after I heard he lost. I guess it might be his last fight for a little bit. PEACE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom