• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Excalibur: a NeoGAF Pathfinder Play by Post Campaign

Outwardly, Thaddeus does not react, but within, a battle rages.

He briefly considers employing a Zone of Truth to verify the story, but asking her to repeat it on her deathbed seems cruel, and moreover, somehow he already knows that it is true.

"Excalibur," he says, looking the woman in the eye, "Though your methods were faulty, your true motivations are not. I promise you that I shall investigate your claims, and should they prove true, then I will seek justice for the wrongs committed toward you. It is my duty as an upholder of the law. Not even kings are immune from the hand of justice."

For reasons he can't quite figure out, Excalibur's story strikes a chord with Tiberious. His childhood was completely different, as he recalls loving the path to gladiatorhood. Yup, once he started forming memories at 12, everything was awesome. But still, even though he shouldn't be able to relate, something about Excalibur's story just sits with him.

"I see. Your story doesn't excuse your actions, but it does explain much as to why you hate Ruby Keep's royalty. Perhaps a new government is in order after all, or at least something to show the royal family that they can't do whatever they want. How will that get done? I don't know yet. But let it be known, for all our conflict, your final words were the manliest I've heard in a long time."

((I figured she'd have some grim and nuanced reason for her war, but I wasn't expecting her to be an exiled princess. Plot twist successful here as well.))

<Then Excalibur, both the game and the woman, can die in peace.

I'm gonna go ahead and move on at around 10 PM my time (or ~4 hours from this post's timestamp).>

Excalibur begins a struggle to pull herself into a stand, blood dripping from her armor and cape rapidly, "Confront.. my mother.." she grunts, "She cannot hide from the truth.." After pulling herself up, she nearly collapses forward once again. In response to the question 'how will that get done?' she pulls out a tome from her person and tosses it at their feet, "These are the plans... for the new government... and the ideals for well treatment of all races. Take them, find someone that can make a difference.."

She begins to hamper forward slowly, her steps lined with red. As she passes by Draco, she simply remarks, "They trained you exceptionally..." and continues to pass by..

Once she is at the face of the battle before her, still raging on, she gives one last powerful boom of her voice, "My fellow Orphans! My fellow abandoned brothers and sisters!! This is not our final battle!! In my death I will continue to lead you all!! We will continue our battle for eons in the Astral Sea!!!"

And following that voice, her echoes reach the ears of her comrades in the battle.. and soon, many that were previously overpowering the Ruby Keep soldiers suddenly allow themselves to be defeated and killed willingly, some even pulling themselves onto weapons against those that hesitate. Excalibur drives her sword into the ground, and presses a hand against the breast of her armor, and triggers the magic behind it.. She begins to glow, and following the glow what was once the shape of her form soon becomes flowery sparks that escape and separate, drifting away in a non-existent wind into a nothingness. Both her life and body are willingly no more, with no hope for revival.

---

The volume of screams and clashing of metal die the same as many lives this moment. Many of your comrades wander the battlefield in the silence as calm follows the storm.

As a tragic contrast of celebration between friends and the mourning of others ensues, is only allotted moderate time before many of the Keep soldiers stand at attention and give proper salute. Armored troops march down the aftermath of the battlefield, metal chromed black with gold linings. An elven man steps beyond the great soldiers, in his own dark and gold trenchcoat uniform as he surveys the surrounding result of the battle. Dorthlenne in great authority declares to the Keep soldiers all about him, "This sector is now under Alydaran jurisdiction! The Alydaran Guard now holds reign over the operation being performed here!" He then makes his way to the party nearest to the glimmering waters and smiles to them, "A splendid job the several of you have done."

Thaddeus ignores Variel. He turns around and carefully approaches the giant pool, eyeing the woman on the other side. Beyond her, the shrouded giant looms, creating an uneasy feeling in the paladin's gut.

"Miss... er... Cassandra?" he calls out to her, hopefully loud enough for her to hear. "Are you alright? Do not worry; I am not here to hurt you."

When Thaddeus attempts to catch Cassandra's attention, he will hear a woman's voice speak magically in his head, "You must leave here, I have to stay behind to keep this monster sealed. Only I can do this.."

Loinel Savis follows up with his own magical message, "I have also chosen to guard her from harm. Please heed our wishes to prevent a catastrophe."

Cassandra finally says, "Please tell my brother that I love him. I won't be able to see him again."

Tiberious promptly lets the praise go to his head. "Of course! Every job of ours is a job well done!" He's prepared to bask in their victory further, when he notices one of his comrades isn't immediately near Dorthlene.

"Hey, where's Thaddy?"

Dorthlenne just shakes his head and rolls his eyes into his eyelids at Tiberious' excessive inability to track others on a comic scale. He lets his movement answer as he moves to the edge of the cliff overlooking the pool, "Thaddeus, I know there is that whole 'you ruin a grand scientific enterprise of mine' and my responding 'imprison you and having you beaten' thing between us, but as a complete bastard.. I hope you at least hear me out when I say that monster you see is science gone too far: something out of limits of control and reason, the work of a mad man. I'm sure you've read about it in my little diary, I should know because it was stolen from my facility."

He gazes out into the glimmering waters and glowing walls, "You shouldn't worry either. Only those with the blood of the gods can channel the divine magic of this pool of radiance category artifact. As long as Cassandra Aurelian is trapped being only able to use its power to seal the monster, I don't think anybody will be abusing its power anytime soon." He then pats Thaddeus on the back of his armor, "Come now, you've bested Excalibur and managed not to kill the only thing keeping this little island we call a continent completely leveled. It's about time we returned to daylight."

Grapple check (1d20+17=31)

Thaddeus clutches the wrist of the hand that touched his shoulder and twists it just slightly enough for Variel to be uncomfortable.

"We are not friends, little man," he says icily, but not menacingly. "When last we met. I was not myself, but make no mistake - I have returned to my senses."

He glances across the pool. "You are going to help me destroy that creature you helped create. I cannot abide that poor girl being doomed to spend the rest of her life in this cave, and neither will you.

"If you come willingly, perhaps I shall petition for leniency when the time comes for you to stand trial for your crimes. If you resist, then when all is said and done, I will hunt you down for the rest of your days, and I promise you that you will never escape my reach."

He then looks slightly up, at nothing in particular. "You hear that, necromancer? I endeavor to free the girl from her charge. Surely you'll provide some assistance in dispatching the beast?"

"You want to save her? Count me in, Thad! Not only is being stuck here for the rest of her life horrible, we can't really say we're done here if there's a big, scary monster waiting to get rolled out as soon as her life span ends. Let's do this!"

Tiberious makes it about one step before he starts coughing up blood. "Ok, maybe I should tend to my wounds from fighting Excalibur before we do any more heroing."

"Agreed Leo. However, on that note, perhaps this could wait till tomorrow. I don't think we want to go up against that thing half assed, if it is as dangerous as they claim."

"But we've got to save her right n-" Tiberious can't even finish the sentence without coughing up more blood due to getting overexcited.

Looking disappointed, he says "I guess one day isn't too bad in the scope of the rest of her life."

<i can continue on with this as intended, though it will prolong the game even further and i was hoping to leave it as something that another dm can use as conflict

I am also getting emotionally exhausted of the game so i was hoping to be able to end it>

<I take that as a majority then, since I have no clue when Mike M will be back.

So it'll be okay if I just move on for you guys? I just want to make sure we're in agreement.>

Grapple check (1d20+17=31)
Blades and spears draw among the Alydarans at the notice of physical threat being implemented. Dorthlenne answers, with a bit of snap in his voice at the accusation, "I did nothing to help create that monstrosity and I would love to kill it as much as you would! Unhand me, or it'll be me that will be forced to petition leniency for your transgression."

Assuming Thaddeus does let go, Dorthlenne will adjust his collar, "I'm not going to do a damned thing without some kind of plan anyhow. We should return to the surface to pool resources."

Once everyone has finally made their way away from the cliff, wispy spirits begin to escape the bodies of the deceased surrounding them. Almost everyone in the cavern pulls out a weapon in anticipation, only to stand watch as the spirits move to the cliff, forming a wall to barrier any access*. Dorthlenne glances about, "Looks like the mayor is trying to tell us something. No choice but to leave now."

<*this is the "convenient cavern collapse".>

"Well damn, there goes the rescue for now."

Tiberious shrugs and heads back to the surface with the others, ready to see what awaits now that Excalibur has been dealt with.

Mike M

Nick N
((Sorry, it's been nonstop crisis mode at work for the past couple weeks, I've been working through my lunch break when I would usually be writing stuff. Catching up.))

<It's cool. I kinda went ahead and kept the game going. In hindsight I should've just kept playing the Excalibur part of the battle and ignored the other parts, but I made a mistake and what's done is done.>

Thaddeus doesn't let go of Variel at first. Completely unfazed by the man's threats, he is ready to retort when the unexpected soup barrier makes quite an entrance in the cavern.

He frowns and reluctantly lets go now, seeing no point in attempting to restrain him. "One day, Miss Cassandra," he says quietly. He turns his back on Variel and looks to the others. "Gentlemen," he says, "It appears our mission is done. Shall we have the wizards begin teleporting our force back to the Keep?"

Mike M

Nick N
((Did not see that plot twist coming. A while back I thought we were building to a revelation that Olidammara engineered the Fall to secure power, but I was wildly off base about every twist I thought I saw coming in QftHR, so why not in that too?))

Dreadstone watches the mass slaughter of the Orphans, aghast at the sudden wave of carnage as the Drow and their allied warriors unexpectedly cease offering resistance to the Ruby Keep forces. Caught up in the momentum of battle, it seems that the surface forces do not even realize what has occurred at first. Even as they stop fighting, their confusion is only heightened as the Orphans resort to suicide to follow their beloved leader into the Astral Sea beyond the material plane.

Dorthlenne’s words go unheard in the tiefling’s ears as he tries to comprehend the enormity of what has just occurred. Never one to overestimate his importance in the grand scheme of things, he is still taken aback at how what to him seemed like a titanic struggle for the fate of the continent matters so little when a monstrosity that could destroy them all slumbers beneath the surface, indifferent and uncaring of what creed or race holds sway. “All of this,” he says, staring at the slain Drow, “all of this can’t’ve been fer nothin’.”

Picking up Exalibur’s manifesto, he leafs through her blueprint for a world of equality between all the races. “Maybe it ain’t ‘bout chosin’ ‘tween her an’ the way things’ve always been,” he mutters. “If even half of what she said’s true, how can just go back to the way things were? Maybe there’s a third option.”

Dreadstone is called back from his reverie as the barrier begins to form around the cliff to the sounds of nervous soldiers. “Time t’go,” he says aloud. “Everyone gather up an’ get th’wizards front an’center. We’re done down here.”

((Oh fuck, I gotta start coming up with an epilogue soon, don’t I?))

A while back I thought we were building to a revelation that Olidammara engineered the Fall to secure power,
<Oh, that is definitely still up in the air, even if it's not the focus of teh story. Just something I planted in the game to be thought upon OOCly.

Not sure if Draco wants to say anything, but I'll go ahead and start writing the next scene.>

In the following week, you are called to stand attention at a small military ceremony held in front of the capital hall of the great city of Alydar. Of those among you, Chloe is absent. Dreadstone will have received a written note days before announcing her intent to go to Southport and escape to a new life of finding her greater purpose.

Your party is announced and recognized with a written speech given to the attending by a nameless figure, augmented by a magical device to carry the voice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUa2kL8kOk4

My fellow Alydarans. Standing before you are four good men, and their dog, that have been instrumental in quelling the rebellion plaguing the country. They faced many dangers in order to bring back knowledge instrumental to a successful attack on the rebellion and the dark elves among them. You might recognize them as being accused of treason against the country, but let me say that this is not true. It is the opposite, they are heroes hired by the late Marcallus Billem in recognition of their skill and bravery. Their run ins with conspirators and enemies tarnishing their name have failed to succeed in doing so.

Even with the death of Lucretia Sapphire, the leader of the terrorist rebellion, many around the country still hold protest against Kingdom policies in the east, and much repair will need to be done to mend the rifts dividing people today. Even still, you will be able to rest easy knowing that no more attacks will occur thanks to these brave warriors and adventurers, and may they continue their lives, enjoying knowing that they are now part of the elite known as the Heroes of Alydar.

An applause roars in accordance to the end of the speech. As celebratory trumpets play, you are then awarded a title and a medal corresponding to which:

Draco will receive the title of "One of Limitless Wit" and a medallion displaying a classically garbed figure confidently looking thoughtful in the presence of a Rakshasha.

Dreadstone will be granted his first official title.. one more flattering than his previous ones to date: "Protector of the Keep". It shows a hunter locked in battle with a Gryffon flying above.

Thaddeus obtains the title of "Paragon of Heironeous". His medal depicts a saintly hero and a common depiction of Heironeous as a person both gripping a single blade and thrusting it up triumphantly as a team.

Finally, Tiberious will be bestowed the title that is simply "The Champion". His medal depicts a Barbarian warrior on an Owlbear's shoulders, lifting up his axe in readiness to drive it in.

---

As the ceremony comes to a close, the party becomes free to leave and do as they wish... but not before some come to visit the various party members.

Dortumn comes up to meet Dreadstone. He is no longer dressed in military attire, now in a large coat for the windy spring weather and accompanying trousers for the occasion. He continues to walk using a cane at his side. He looks to the side a bit, and tells the Tiefling admittedly, "So I guess there's something to this whole mercenary business after all, huh? I've decided to quit the brass and was thinking of picking up that old Klaus' Ranging Station.." Dortumn then glances over his shoulder to where Dorthlenne stands attention and turns his face back to Dreadstone, and follows up hush hush, "And move it out of town." He then grins and jolts his body with a bit of contained laughter he says, "I'll finally be able to whip those boys into fighting shape. Put some fight into them the way the army didn't want me to."

Tiberious is suddenly clothes lined and brought to the ground onto his face. Once Tiberious gets to see who did it, he'll notice the Avatar of Kord pointing his finger down at him, "Emerald Bay tournament! Be there!" and he walks off.

Draco is approached by Dhalia Mallory. She attempts to find what to say to confront the young man, but fails to find anything she can say. She is silenced by her own hesitation and simply nods at Draco.. Finally, she shakes her head, "It wasn't your fault.. I suppose some things can't be helped."

Finally... Thaddeus is seemingly left with nobody to come and greet him. The house that once held the woman he once knew has been abandoned. Just as it would seem like he is left out, a young voice speaks softly behind him, "...Sir?" When Thaddeus turns around, he'll see a hooded girl. She pulls down the hood, revealing Rosina Montague. "...I know what I did must have hurt you. I just want to say I'm sorry."

---

<After responding to these NPCs, you may segway into your respective endings.>

((I don't think the ten year bit should be a problem. I kind of went batshit on mine anyway))

((A ridiculous character deserves a ridiculous sendoff. Doubly so since I was half asleep typing up a good portion of this))

Tiberious enjoys the ceremony, reveling in the attention. He doesn't think the day can get any better. Then he gets clotheslined by the Avatar of Kord. This is great! Not only did he get out of prison on his own, he's clearly been working on his clothesline! "You bet I'll be there! I'll see you in the finals."

He is left with but one option. He must spend the time before the tournament travelling the world, gaining strength through his experiences. A training journey is no journey for Tiberious, so while saying goodbye to his friends, he seeks their aid in coming up with a new identity. The end result is him purchasing a yellow dragon mask and assuming the name Faulzot, a mighty dragon of thunder and lightning. With iron will and determination guiding him, he gets on the nearest boat and sails off, going where the winds take him. A year of adventures would await him.
-------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx1mryKqvT8

Finding himself in a land overrun by trolls, Faulzot cuts and cuts away, only increasing their numbers. It is when a knocked over torch stops one's regeneration that he discovers fire to be their weakness. After lighting himself on fire from head to toe, the scourge was ended before daybreak.

The island of hydras proved a challenge, nearly removing Faulzot's mask. The art of tying hydras' heads into a pretzel took time to learn, but was a worthwhile endeavor. He left the island as a mountain of giant, squirming pretzels.

He later came across a kingdom that had just lost its king, trying frantically to find who assassinated the former ruler. Sensing evil from the queen, Faulzot acted on a hunch and cut her in half. This was incorrect, but in the ensuing shitstorm, the court adviser inadvertantly revealed himself as the killer. While Faulzot solved the dilemma, he still had to leave the kingdom lest he get executed.

It was when rowing a hand-made boat across the ocean that Faulzot encountered a boat of orcish pirates protected by an awakened shark. It was in the process of waylaying a merchant's ship. Quickly rowing over, he began to wrestle the shark. Through sheer manly spirit, he was able to bend it to his will. Jumping the shark onto the orcs' ship, he makes quick work of them and earns himself a ride with the merchants.

An evil wizard with the power to animate anything derived from the earht had enslaved a small village with an army of iron golems. After the wizard commandeered his weapons, Faulzot was forced to fight the golems with his body, cracking them with a series of aggressive headbutts. He was eventually able to corner the villainous wizard at a cliff, and sent him crashing into the rocks below with an atomic suplex.
------------------------

By the time he returns to Emerald Bay and sheds the mask, Tiberious is more than ready for the tournament. He tears through his opponents like warm butter, as does the Avatar of Kord. The finals roll around, and the two warriors go at it, splitting the arena with their initial clash.

As day becomes night and night becomes day, their weapons are worn down and forced to be cast aside one at a time. Eventually, they are left with naught but their arms and legs. The grappling goes on for another day until Tiberious gets a chance to make his move. Seeing an opening, he grabs the Avatar of Kord and makes a mighty leap, sending them into space. He flies past the Moon, past Venus, past Mercury, and is bracing to slam him into the sun-

"Hold on, there's no way you could have jumped into space!" One of the orphans listening to the story objects. "The amount of force and speed you'd need to escape the planet's orbit is well beyond anything a living creature could do, even with extensive magical enhancements. And even if you did, you'd die within moments of making the jump."

The other children nod in agreement, leaving the old man who does not look unlike a combat-ready version of Santa Claus furrowing his brow. He flips a few pages in the large book he's holding. "You say that, but if you believe in yourself enough, anything's poss-"

"Weren't you and the Avatar of Kord supposed to be friends or something? Why were you trying to slam him into the Sun anyway? That's definitely trying to kill him." one of the other orphans pipes up.

Tiberious looks for an explanation for the unusually inquisitive children. "Well, um, you see, men of our magnitude aren't killed by simple things like that."

"They aren't killed by being thrown into the Sun?" Says the same child incredulously.

"Yes."

After having many of the details of his stories picked at, questioned, and critiqued, he tries to get going again. "So anyway-"

"What was with the name?" interrupts another orphan. "Don't you know that Faulzot is Draconic for cuntcrease?"

"Nonsense! A good friend of mine gave me that name! It's right here in the book of Tiberious Thunderface's Magical Adventures."

"About that," says little orphan Timmy. "You've been holding the book upside down the whole time you've been here."

Tiberious looks down at the book for a few moments, then back up. "Well fuck me sideways and call me Suzy, you're right!" This prompts one of the caretakers to scold Tiberious. "Language! You're volunteering with young orphans, remember?"

"What? One of them was calling me a cuntcrease a second ago, I think that ship's already sailed."

"Yeah, you cuntcrease! Sheesh, fuck me sideways and call me Suzy." promptly comes out of the mouth of one of the youngest children there, who clearly has no idea what he's saying. Not too long after that, Tiberious is asked to leave.

As he leaves the orphanage, he rips off the fake beard and smears away the makeup designed to exaggerate his age. While he now has some gray in his hair, Leo does not appear too much than he did seventy years ago. While walking, he starts talking to himself. "Got to sell it to the little kids, everyone loves a jolly old man more than a man who tripped in a fountain of youth during his escapades. Oh shit! I'm going to be late! The Mrs. won't be happy."

With a sense of urgency, Leo makes his way to a large clearing, where a grand-sized gold dragon is waiting, appearing rather cross. "Let me guess, you lost track of time until you got kicked out again?"

"Yes Ezyria..." Leo says looking down for a moment. After that, his expression becomes quizzical. "What are they teaching at orphanages these days? You'd think I was reading at a wizard's symposium or something. It's still worth it to make their days better, but damn."

Rolling her eyes, Ezyria says "You've never been a clever man. a bunch of children might as well be a board of wizards, the way you like to embellish sometimes." Despite the cutting words, she says this in an almost endearing manner. "Now come, our services are needed across the continent. Apparently a Tarrasque got loose and is on a rampage across the countryside. Let's go!"

As he climbs on her back and they fly off into the sunset, she adds, "You know Faulzot really is Draconic for cuntcrease, right?"
-------------------------
It is said that to this day, Tiberious and his Dragon wife still roam the lands, bringing justice and happiness to those that need it most. To get their attention, one need only cry out the dirge of manhood.

Manly man man, Manius maning maning man, Mani Mani Manatee, Mans mans manus manorum

Mike M

Nick N
Dreadstone can't stop handling the medal he's received, exploring its smooth, polished surface with his calloused fingers until the metal feels warm to the touch. "Protector of the Keep," he mutters more to Gnaw and himself than anyone else. "Mighty big responsibility, that."

It's everything he should have ever wanted. Recognition by the establishment beyond the begrudging tolerance he had received for acts that would have netted a human or elf superfluous accolades. Elevation to a position of relevance among his peers. He has the license to punch his own ticket now, chart whatever destiny he pleases.

So why does he have this sensation of doubt gnawing endlessly in the pit of his stomach? There can be no mistake, they did the right thing in putting down Excalibur's rebellion. The woman had noble goals and ambitions, but you can't enforce equality at the point of the spear by overthrowing the status quo. Even putting aside the cost in lives, the social upheaval alone would make people resistant--galvanized even--against the permeation of new ideas. You just end up back where you started, more entrenched than before, and bloodied for the effort.

Excalibur's book sits next to Dreadstone's own journal in his satchel. The roadmap to her dream. Maybe... Maybe there was a way to get people there without the conflict, without the direct assault on their beliefs and ideals so that one could impose their own. Maybe that was something he could work towards. Gods know he's had his fill of fighting to last a lifetime, but it's all he's ever known. The prospect of making something else of his life fills him with a sense somewhere between dread and anticipation.

Dortumn draws him out of his inner thoughts. He's been getting lost there a lot, recently. Maybe he's just getting too old for this stuff. "If anyone can do it, it's you," he tells the formal field marshal. "Just watch out for that Dorthlenne. Man's as slippery as they come."

Eventually, the attendees at the ceremony begin to disperse, the event that had brought them together no longer adequate adhesive to keep them together. Bidding goodbye to Thaddeus, Draco, and the turnip is somewhat awkward. The men had been together constantly for months now, but the reason for their unity had expired, leaving nothing behind but the phantom sensation that they ought to be out there doing something, but with no idea what that something might be. With half-hearted promises to reunite sometime in the near future for some unspecified purpose, the party goes their separate ways. Dreadstone doubts they will ever all occupy the same room again.

---

The tiefling's abode is cold and dusty. One would not need to be an investigator to tell the obvious signs of a prolonged vacancy. Gnaw pads ahead, eagerly sniffing out every corner and stick of furniture as though they offer endless new senses to experience, but to the tiefling it has that odd mixture of familiarity blended with alienation. Like returning to a childhood play yard to find that everything is much smaller than you remembered.

Gnaw leaps up on the bed, and immediately begins turning about to make a suitable spot for him to curl up into a ball, heedless of the dust motes he kicks up in the process. "Sure," Dreadstone chides, as he unstraps his armor and travel gear "just go an'make yerself right at home. No need t'stand on my account."

Dressed in nothing more than his street clothes for the first time in what feels like ages, Dreadstone sits on the bed next to Gnaw, absent-mindedly scratching the dog's head behind the ears as he stares into space and contemplates his future. After several minutes, he suddenly gets to his feet, seizing his satchel and fishing out Excalibur's tome.

Setting it down on his desk, he opens the cover and begins to read.

((Actual epilogue to follow))

Thaddeus tolerates the pomp and circumstance of the ceremony and wears a humble smile, but in truth his thoughts are elsewhere. He scarcely pays attention to the announcer, though the design of his medal and the title impressed upon him are both appreciated.

As the crowds disperse and the party separates to embark on their own personal journeys, Thaddeus wanders the streets of Alydar, lost in thought. As the sun retreats into the horizon, he finds himself staring up at the vacant home of Arianna.

His indulgence of memories long since past is interrupted by a young voice behind him. "Excuse me, Sir?"

He turns around and watches curiously as Luna Lovegood makes what appears to be a sincere apology. He stares blankly at her for a good ten seconds afterward; the girl is starting to look sheepish and awkward.

Finally, he smiles. "You are forgiven," he says.

There is more silence, but this time it's less uncomfortable. "So... Is this your house?" she asks.

"No," says Thaddeus. "It was the home of a woman I've loved for many years. I never told her that, though. At the outset it was because I was young and scared. By the time I outgrew that, she'd fallen for some unnamed vagabond from Ruby Keep, and borne his child."

"Oh. I'm... uh... I'm sorry."

He merely nods in reply, the smile on his face slightly fading.

Another minute passes, and Thaddeus notes with some curiosity that the girl is still standing there. "How are you faring, Ms. Montague?"

She looks down. "I've been... okay," she says. "I mean, it's been difficult, you know? My brother is in prison now, so I've had to make it on my own, and well.... that's not easy."

Thaddeus tilts his head. The stars are gradually appearing in the sky as the last slivers of sunlight bury themselves. "Rosina," he says, "My companions are all going their separate ways. They rightly desire freedom from destiny, and I expect they all will go on to accomplish great things. But for me... Heironeous, I believe, still has a clear path laid out for me.

"There is an innocent young woman trapped in the catacombs beneath the earth, preventing an unfathomable creature from being unleashed onto the world. There is another young woman, and a young man, who appear to have been erased from history, whose stories deserve to be told. An investigation into the misdeeds of the Queen must be performed, and I know of no one else with the drive to do it. And, last but not least, the commander of the forces here in Alydar is corrupt to the bone, and must be exposed."

A glimmer appears in his eye. "I am putting together a squadron to see to these matters. You are welcome to join me, if you would like."

Rosina Montague smiles.

~fin~

------------------------------------------

The man and his wolf paused, after passing through the giant gate. "The biggest city in the world," he said. The words were magically translated into a form that his companion could understand. She grunted to agree, in the way that canines do.

He was smartly dressed, in travelers' clothes and a sturdy, comfortable cloak with its hood down. His hair was dark gray and well-groomed. A well-made satchel hung off of one shoulder. He was simultaneously calm and determined; this was a man who knew exactly what he wanted, and was patient enough to get it.

He took his time walking the streets, taking in the sights, the sounds, and the smells. Every eco system was different, but there were always patterns to pick up on, and once those patterns could be discerned, it was academic to pick out those who flowed against the current. This, he had learned in the glade, as he'd weeded out the traditionalists who'd needed to go. His talent had only become more refined in the years since his departure.

In a matter of hours he had learned to spot the pick-pockets before they even thought to practice their craft. They were not his primary targets, of course; his real quarry would be far more adept at blending in. He doubted, in fact, that he would ever catch one in the open.

But catch one he would.

The bell near the front door rang, indicating that someone was coming in. Jack looked up from the book he'd been memorizing to find two unfamiliar figures enter.

"Welcome to the Ruby Keep Public Library," he said evenly.

Jack thought he detected the slightest hint of confusion on the man's face, but it was only for a fleeting moment. Next to the man was a white wolf. "I am sorry; animals are not allowed in the library. I will have to ask you to leave your pet outside."

The wolf made a sound that was beyond Jack's ability to interpret. The man addressed the canine briefly, and it turned around, opened the latch with its teeth, and exited. This was a curious scene for Jack, who had never observed an animal behave this intelligently.

"Thank you," he said. "May I help you find something?"

The man approached the desk. "Where is the other librarian?" he asked.

Suddenly, Valgar's unusual request that Jack man the front counter today made more sense, as did the elevated stress levels indicated by his vital signs when he'd asked. Jack's loyalty subroutines overrode those that compelled him to tell the truth, and he answered, "I am sorry. Mister Jeubert is attending a conference at the Great Library of Ioun. His date of return is indeterminable at this time."

The man narrowed his eyes and leaned in to inspect Jack more closely. "You're made of metal," he noted.

"That is correct. Although my original body was comprised of a 70% titanium alloy, after its destruction and my subsequent period of dormancy, I was refitted with a steel exterior. Is there anything else I may help you to find?"

The man shook his head. "I think I will look around on my own," he said.

"Of course," said Jack.

The android watched as the man scoured the library, unsure of what to do.

Between the shelves of the library, when he was certain the metal man couldn't see him, Baldur reached into his satchel and produced an old piece of green leather. He sniffed it to confirm: the same scent was all around him in this library. It only took a few minutes of searching before he found the bookshelf.

Great Art Forgeries and Frauds of History, by Falor Vien.

Baldur smiled triumphantly. He would enjoy telling Dreadstone that he'd finally been surpassed as the World's Greatest Hunter.

He pulled on the book.

Draco only wishes he could enjoy the ceremony as much as Leo, but even he cannot deny he is feeling more thing a bit of pride for himself about all this. Unfortunately it doesn't last long, once Dhalia shows up in front of him. However, after hearing what she has to say, he smiles and says "Thank you." He is not really sure if he meant it or not, if he even blames himself anymore, but either way, he feels like a weight has been lifted. And for the first time in a long time, he decides to pay a little visit to his parents.

------------------------

Draco stands across the way from a run down home, "You called me in for this?"

An older looking human standing next to him replies, "He's got several, of what use to be our friends, in there protecting him. Our men aren't trained for this kind of stuff. Besides you're the-"

"Yeah yeah, hero of Freetown or whatever, I get it." says Draco as he turns to a younger human standing to the other side of him. "Okay, toss some bombs inside to try and smoke him out, and if that doesn't work follow me inside."

The young man response, "Yes sir!" and Draco just roll his eyes. He may be something of a teacher now, but he'll never get use to that.

"Alright everyone! Lets show this bastard we don't appreciate necromancy in Free Town!" Draco shout out to the people as he charges in towards the house.

((Arg... Not quite sure this came out the way I hoped it would. But then I'm not really sure what I wanted Draco to do post campaign anyways. Oh well, shit happens I guess.))

<Since Mike M's next post will be chronologically later, I think it's more fitting to place this ending post before then.>

As the party disbands and separate to regain the reign over their lives that was once taken by the circumstances of war, a bard watches from afar from a breezy shade under a tree by the toy shop . Under his large brim hat he gazes to the fading of ceremony celebrating heroism. He allows words to fill the air as absent thoughts for himself given sound, "So the dark god has not woken and Ehlonna's daughter continues to grow.. It makes me wonder if in this brand new age if Primaria will continue to birth and mother additional deities just as it was the graveyard of those previous to them."

With his wonder in mind he gazes up to the sky, looking between the branches that ease the strength of Pelor's light. "'A storyteller of Muunfae'," the Bard calls himself, taking a moment of pause to foster a consideration in the cool breeze, "Perhaps I should invent a new name."

---

<Thank you all that have played in the game and put up with me being a new DM. I admit I made quite a few mistakes and it was a painful learning experience. Still, I am glad I got to finish the story I wanted to tell and no longer have to think about it for a whole year.>

Mike M

Nick N
What Scars Remain

The winter dawn came late, as was usual for the season. Within the towering fortifications of Ruby Keep, the sun’s arrival was delayed even further, the skies turning from its night darkness to a dull gray to the fire of the morning sky before finally an even, pale blue. Only then did the glowing orb finally crest the artificial horizon of the wall, spilling its light down into the streets to vanquish the shadows and denizens of the night that had not already heeded the heralding of the changing sky.

The morning light flooded down the street of the wharf district, creeping down the alley. As the shadows evaporated, they revealed the form of a figure perched upon a crate, golden eyes glinting in the light from deep within a scarlet hood, the points of horns curled like a ram’s protruding out either side of the hood at chin level, and a tail the color of rose quartz made flesh draped behind. Only the regular exhalations of visible clouds of breath provided sign of life.

With the soft pumph! of displaced air and the flapping of similarly colored robes, a man with black curly hair appeared in the narrow alley beside the hooded sentry, a pair of steaming ceramic mugs in his hands.

"&#778;&#836;&#801;&#792;&#826;&#796;&#858;&#846;&#810;M&#877;&#784;&#770;&#876;&#869;&#833;&#789;&#797;&#826;&#819;o&#773;&#829;&#776;&#848;&#836;&#842;&#769;&#786;&#820;&#802;&#863;&#851;&#851;&#800;&#841;&#806;&#817;r&#855;&#830;&#842;&#779;&#785;&#820;&#789;&#837;&#812;n&#834;&#820;&#860;&#845;&#857;i&#876;&#849;&#876;&#860;&#823;&#821;&#851;&#812;n&#773;&#873;&#878;&#867;&#874;&#790;&#796;&#800;&#841;&#803;&#796;&#825;g&#844;&#770;&#878;&#779;&#870;&#868;&#849;&#775;&#1161;&#823;&#1161;&#840;&#817;&#812;&#846;&#817;&#803;&#845;&#797;&#793;,&#838;&#834;&#842;&#774;&#873;&#859;&#768;&#832;&#805;&#826;&#810;&#845;&#828;&#800; &#868;&#850;&#873;&#838;&#834;&#784;&#1161;&#858;&#793;&#798;&#814;l&#878;&#794;&#838;&#869;&#778;&#781;&#836;&#807;&#801;&#815;&#837;&#815;&#845;&#811;&#803;&#799;o&#773;&#781;&#829;&#830;&#867;&#778;&#856;&#841;&#818;&#818;v&#879;&#835;&#768;&#874;&#773;&#795;&#811;&#798;&#816;&#857;&#810;&#846;e&#794;&#773;&#781;&#784;&#847;&#825;&#812;&#809;&#810;&#826;,&#879;&#855;&#834;&#779;&#775;&#856;&#862;&#857;&#841;&#825;&#845;&#811;&#813;"&#848;&#773;&#860;&#797;&#799;&#828;&#800; he said, extending one of the mugs to his silent companion.

The figure on the crate turned, pulling back the hood to reveal long tresses of hair as golden as her eyes as she shot her guest a look of annoyance. “I thought we talked about you speaking like that, Torrino,” she said.

“What?” Torrino protested. “I just want to be more familiar with your heritage. That’s generally what people in a relationship do, you realize.”

The tiefling woman grunted as he received the warm mug. “It’s not really a heritage,” she corrected. “At least not any I want to acknowledge. It’s just sorta… ingrained in me. I can understand it, but I don’t like speaking it.”

She paused to look into the mug. It was full of coffee: Black, steaming, and pungent. “You make it how I like it?” she asked.

Torrino nodded. “Triple strength, no cream, no sugar, fresh off the boil.”

The woman tipped the mug back and drank the scalding contents in a single go.

“Lorie Brightsen,” Torrino chided, “that’s hot enough to boil someone alive.”

“Heat doesn’t bother me much,” Lorie said, wiping the grin on her face. “Besides, I could use the pick-me-up. My muscles are aching out here.” Lorie dismounted from the crate, stretching her arms in the air above her before bending as far back as her spine would allow. The metal of her well-maintained revolvers gleamed in the daylight as her cloak fell back from the holsters slung across either side of her hips.

cornelia_vogel_comm_by_yamaorce-d82mxx1.jpg

Torrino frowned, pointedly stepping through the ice that had encrusted the surface of a puddle that had formed between cobblestones. “Do you mean to tell me you’ve been here all night?” he asked.

“Uh, huh,” Lorie responded, pulling out a brass telescope and holding it to her eye.

“But it was below freezing out here,” Torrino protested.

Lorie turned toward Torrino with another smile. “The cold doesn’t bother me any either,” she said, pressing the telescope into his free hand. Pointing out of the alley and across the thoroughfare toward a dilapidated warehouse, she added, “Take a look over there and tell me what you see.”

Torrino lifted the spyglass to one eye and surveyed the building across the way. “It’s a warehouse,” he said drily. “One that’s about to fall in upon itself at any moment, from the looks of it.”

“It’s a warehouse about to fall in upon itself with new locks,” Lorie said, pulling gently on Torrino’s elbow to guide his view toward the front door.

“Huh,” Torrino said, lowering the telescope. “That is odd.”

“Want to know what else is odd?” Lorie asked pulling out a small leather-bound notebook. “I’ve been keeping track of who goes in and out of this building. The weird thing? I only ever see women go in, all the same approximate build.”

“Sisters?”

“More likely one woman who’s good at disguises,” Lorie corrected. “Sometimes she looks human, sometimes elven, but I’m all but certain it’s the same person. But did you hear what I said? I only ever see women go in. I have never seen a single soul come out of that door.”

“So there’s more than one entrance,” Torrino said. “That’s hardly unusual.”

Lorie shook her head. “Uh uh,” she denied. “I’ve gone over that perimeter with a fine-toothed comb. The windows and bay doors are boarded up, no signs of forced entry. The wood’s old, too, so it’s been there for a while. That’s the only serviceable point of ingress. So where how is that woman getting past me?”

“Quite the puzzle,” Torrino said, almost absent-mindedly.

“That’s not all, either,” Lorie said, flipping through the pages of her notebook. “My sources have been keeping me in the loop for unusual purchases and requisitions by anyone fitting the woman’s height. Look at this. Copper wire, glass spheres, some sort of carbon filaments, quantities of gunpowder. All being purchased gold up front, no questions asked by women who are extremely knowledgeable of metallurgy, engineering, and a whole host of other scientific fields I don’t even know.”

Lorie jabbed a finger at one entry in particular. “Look at this,” she said excitedly. “She was interested in purchasing large quantities of lithium ore. Do you know what lithium is used for?”

“No,” Torrino replied flatly.

“Nobody does!” Lorie exclaimed, flinging her hands up into the air. “So what does this woman want with it? This could be something, Torrino. This could be something big. I call her… The Gadgeteer.”

“Have you tried talking to her?” Torrino asked.

“I beg your pardon?”

“You know, interviewing her. I know it’s a novel concept and all, interviewing a potential suspect of an investigation, but I always did excel at thinking outside the box in that way.”

“Smart ass,” Lorie grumbled, snatching back her telescope.

“Preferable to being a dumb ass, I always say.”

“Just for that, I’ve decided to break up with you and run off to become a devotee of Myhriss. I’m afraid any further attempts at sleeping with me will require a rather sizable donation to the church.”

Torrino sighed. “That might be preferable, actually,” he muttered.

“I’m sorry?” Lorrie asked. “What was that?”

Sighing, Torrino reached into his pouch. “This came for you yesterday,” he said as he pulled out an envelope sealed with black wax seal. “It’s out of Freetown.”

Lorie let out a small laugh as she accepted the letter. “Is this what has you all bent out of shape?” she said, waving the letter as though to fan her face. “You thought I would be upset? Torrino, I’ve been putting in for transfers since I made the Ranger Corps. Another rejection isn’t going to hurt my feelings, I’ve got tough skin through and through.”

“You’d better read it,” Torrino said quietly, his eyes on his feet.

Lorie unfolded the letter--the seal already broken--and read its contents. Her smirk immediately fell away from her face, followed by an involuntary gasp.

“You’ve finally been called up,” Torrino said. “The Black Marshals want to have a talk with you.”

Mike M

Nick N
What Scars Remain Part 2

Lorie stared out the window of the carriage, the looming specter of Freetown obscured by the drizzle of rain that pattered against the thick and uneven glass panes. In the fifteen years since its founding, the former military prison had undergone dramatic and repeated metamorphoses, including a brief bout with combating an insurgent troupe of necromancers who seemed to believe that the new social order would allow them the freedom to practice their dread arts. Eventually the equilibrium had swung closer to its origin, the prison repurposed into the headquarters for a new law-enforcement division that specialized in the tracking, capture, and transport of the most dangerous criminals and fugitives in the realm.

The elite of the elite.

The Black Marshals.

The carriage came to a stop outside the sturdy stone walls that had once held impassible iron gates. Dressed in an oilskin coat and a broad brimmed hat, the dwarven driver appeared at the door, opening it for Lorie and providing a stool for her to dismount. “My lady,” he said gruffly, offering his hand.

“Thank you for the offer, but no need,” Lorie said, stepping down to the ground unassisted, feeling the soles of her boots sink into the churned mud. No matter how many times she rode in a carriage, it was a feeling that she could never get used to. Childhood memories of being relegated to the back of wagons with her human mother were etched deep upon her mind, and even with a society that had become more open to the possibility of equality between the races, she could never shake the feeling that it was anything over than a half-hearted formality rather than genuine acceptance. Some scars just ran deep, she supposed.

The wagon driver did not seem to give one whit about Lorie’s ambivalence to his etiquette or service, stowing the stepstool and unloading her bag from the rear of the carriage without further comment. Lorie paid him for his service and watched as the team of horses turned the wagon back down the narrow road that lead to the burgeoning town that had grown on the outskirts of the former prison to support the efforts of the Marshals.

Hiking her hood over her head to shield her from the elements, Lorie marched through the rain and mud beneath the archway into what had once been the prison yard. Despite the inclement weather, the men and women of the marshall service were still out performing their drills and marches, heedless of the elements conspiring to spoil their aim. Unsure of where she was to go, Lorie paused long enough to watch the action. Most of them were practicing on the use of bows and arrows, though the occasional crack of gunfire told her that there must be a firing range somewhere on the premises. The advent of the repeating gun had changed the equation for the Ranger Corps in Ruby Keep, who had by and large already made the changeover from the bow. The Black Marshals, however, were legendary in their bow skills, renown for their ability to best even the most highly skilled gunslingers in the land. But apparently the march of progress could not stay its hand forever.

iorveth_the_leader_by_eriksblue-d3i528z.jpg

“Oi!” came a cry to Lorie’s left. “Are you lost, little Red Bird?” Lorie turned to find a elven man marching toward her, tall and gaunt and dressed in the long black wool coat that was the customary attire of the marshals and their deputies. “You lot are supposed to stick t’the township, the marshals are perfectly capable of--”

The man stopped short as he came close enough to behold Lorie’s face and features. “Dead gods below,” he muttered. “You’re her, aren’t you?”

“Her?” asked Lorie in a guarded tone. “Her who?”

“The new recruit!” the elf exclaimed, holding his hands before him in presentation. “You’re that ranger that’s the hot stuff with the guns, aren’t you?”

“Oh,” said Lorie, visibly relieved. “Yes. Yes, that’s me.”

The elf let out a laugh, throwing his arm around Lorie’s shoulders and hanging upon her heavily. “That’s one for the record books, isn’t it?” he said. “A black sheep among the Black Sheep, you’d be! Make respectable types of us all yet!”

Lorie’s face screwed up in consternation. “You’ll have to forgive me, but I’m not entirely sure what you’re talking about,” she said.

The elf puffed his chest out, hooking his thumbs under the lapels of his long coat. “It’s just the local color, is all,” he explained. “Most of us don’t exactly come from fine and upstanding backgrounds such as you, but that don’t keep us from being proud members of the finest fighting group in the kingdom. The boss is all about giving folk a fair shake, provided that they’re willing to work for it. We’re black sheep, every one of us.”

“The boss,” Lorie broached tentatively, “do you know him well?”

“Pht,” the man said, waving his hand in dismissal. “My name’s Jixis, I’ve practically been the boss’s right hand man ever since he founded this outfit. Mind you we didn’t always see eye-to-eye--the first time we met, we were both bound and determined to kill one another! But the man made me a promise that if me and my mates threw in with his lot during that whole rebellion fifteen years past that we could have our sins washed away in the eyes of the law. The boss is a man of his word if nothing else.”

Jixis reached into his pocket, pulling out a brass time piece. “You’re early yet,” he advised, noting the time. “The boss won’t be taking appointments for a time. Why don’t you let me show you around?”

Lorie nodded. “I wouldn’t mind checking the place out before I commit to anything,” she said.

Jixis gave a hearty laugh. “If you refused, you’d be the first!” he said. “A black sheep among black sheep among black sheep, you’d be!” Moving toward the facility, he waved for Lorie to follow.

Their first stop was the kennels, men in padded suits under assault from gray dogs with white throats and bellies. “Dogs are better than most animals for what we do out here,” Jixis explained. “More of a help in tracking down a target, bred for their ferocity. The locals think they’re all derived from the boss’s first dog, but it ain’t so. Oh, he got studded plenty for the project, make no mistake, but it wasn’t all him. Still, they’re all called Gnawdogs, regardless of what stock they come from. It’s just too much work to try and explain the difference, you know?”

“Oh, I know a thing or two about the dogs,” Lorie murmured.

“Ha! Done your homework, have you?” Jixis smiled.

Lorie shrugged. “Something like that,” she replied.

The tour continued out the other door, opening onto a courtyard with a series of stalls placed at a distance from vaguely humanoid shaped targets. Each stall contained a marshal or deputy in their long wool coats, training their firearms downrange and squeezing the trigger in turn. “This is the firing range,” Jixis explained, shouting to be heard over the gunfire. “But I suppose you already knew that.”

“Yeah,” Lorie agreed with a smile, “I think I know my way around one of these.”

Jixis raised an eyebrow. “Oh, is that so?” he smirked. Cupping his hands over his mouth, he shouted, “Oi! Hold fire, boys! The Red Bird thinks she’s gonna show you all how it’s done properly!”

With quiet chuckles and polite smiles of incredulity, the shooters vacated their stalls. Lorie stood up to the center stall, two empty stalls on either side. Throwing her cloak over her shoulder, she uncovered one of her holsters, her hand hovering just above the wooden grip. WIth her other hand, she reached into her pocket, producing a single copper coin.

With a flick of her thumb, she flung the copper piece into the air as her other hand pulled her firearm clear of the leather holster and squeezed the trigger. No sooner had the chamber revolved into position than her hand slammed down on the hammer and she pulled the trigger again, four additional times in rapid succession, placing five rounds in the foreheads of the targets downrange.

With her final bullet, she raised her gun skyward and fired. The copper coin fell at Jixis’s feet, a hole bored through its center.

“Well fuck me sideways,” the elf muttered. “I think it’s time you talked to the boss.”

Mike M

Nick N
What Scars Remain Part 3

The office was not as large as Lorie would have expected. The walls were white and unadorned, a single window looking out onto the yard of the former prison. A desk filled most of the space, a chair on either side of it.

The chair on the opposite side of the desk seemed to be the centerpiece of the room, large and ornate, carved out of what appeared to be ebony. It almost seemed to be closer to being a throne than a mere chair, now that Lorie was inspecting it closely. She leaned in to inspect what appeared to be a medallion set into the elaborate headset of the chair. A graven image carved into its surface depicted a hunter doing battle with a gryphon in flight, a scene she had seen represented on the flags fluttering from the ramparts of Freetown, rendered in silver on a black field.

“Nice bit of nonsense, that,” came a grizzled voice from behind. Lorie spun on the spot and shot to attention to find herself facing the head of the Black Marshals standing in the doorway. “I ain’t never even set eyes on a gryphon before,” he said as he stepped around the desk toward the chair. “Well, ‘eye’ on, anyway,” he appended, running his fingers over the eyepatch covering his right eye.

“Director General Redstone, sir!” Lorie saluted.

“At ease,” Director Redstone said. “I’m not in yer chain of command, not yet, anyway. I am gonna have to insist on sittin’ in my chair, however.”

“Oh. Of course!” Lorie said, feeling the blush rise to her cheeks, hopeful that it would not show with the red complexion her skin already possessed. She moved to the other side of the desk and took a seat, sliding her tail through the gap between the seat and the back of the chair. For what seemed like a long moment she stared at the man across the way from her. His hair was shot with silver to match his remaining eye, his charcoal doublet and white sleeves highlighting just how dark his skin really was. His face was furrowed with lines as he entered the latter half of his sixth decade in life.

“I’m… I’m not really sure where to start,” Lorie confessed.

“Y’could start by askin’ permission to speak freely.”

“Oh Gods, Lorie, you simpleton,” Lorie muttered to herself. “Permission to speak freely, sir.”

“Granted,” Director Redstone said, leaning back in his chair. “It’s good t’see you, Lorie.”

“Is it?” Lorie snapped. She immediately regretted the tone of her voice, but she supposed it was inevitable. There was twenty-five years of bottled emotions in play here, there was no way to do this gracefully.

Director Redstone sighed, slumping slightly in his seat. “I ‘spose I deserve that,” he said.

“Oh gods, I’m sorry,” Lorie apologized. “That didn’t come out how I meant it, it’s just that… Gods, I don’t even know what I should call you!”

“I’m gonna guess ‘father’ is outta th’equation,” Director Redstone said. “Seein’ as how you’ve been makin’ a reputation for yerself under yer mother’s maiden name.” Redstone slid a pile of pile of papers in front of him and began leafing through them. “Top of yer class in academy. Highest marksmanship scores on record. Perfect performance evaluations.”

“It wasn’t meant to be a slight against you,” Lorie insisted. “I just wanted to make my way under my own steam. It was important to me that I earn it, not just be handed it because I was--”

“Daughter of Hell’s Warden? Th’ Protector of the Keep? Parliamentarian Redstone?”

Lorie nodded. “You’ve… Developed quite a storied reputation over the years. It wasn’t right for them to practically exile you like this.”

Redstone raised his visible eyebrow. “Is that what y’think happened?”

“Isn’t it?” Lorie asked in a guarded tone.

Redstone chuckled to himself. “Not at all,” he said. “Not in th’slightest. Really, this is the best thing that coulda happened. I’m a law man, not a man of laws. I did my time in the parliament, establishin’ the marshals kept me apart of th’cabinet an’got me outta the Keep. Now I got me a whole lotta deputies out there doin’ what I used t’do on a continental scale while I get t’mind the scales of justice. Best thing. Really.”

“You were quite the parliamentarian,” Lorie insisted. “You were instrumental in getting the Equality Decree passed, you helped reorder the entire monarchy and elevated the voice of the people! How can you say that this was the best thing for you?”

“I didn’t do it all by myself, Lorie,” Redstone said quietly.

“I know,” Lorie said, nodding vigorously, “you and Birchwood worked together to--”

“Not who I was speakin’ of,” Redstone interrupted, “though he certainly did as much and more than I did. No, what you don’t understand is that nothin’ I did was my own doin’, I was just… Passin’ on the word of someone else. Someone who did th’wrong things for th’right reasons, someone I had t’stop and’ve spent all my days since wonderin’ how it coulda gone different. Eventually I just… Ran outta words. Had nothin’ left t’offer once things were on a new path. That’s why I had t’leave.”

A stony silence descended on the pair, father and daughter staring at each other from across a desk that may as well have been an ocean.

“You look just like ‘er,” Redstone said with a faint smile.

Lorie laughed so hard she snorted. “I think most most would think I take after you,” she said, tapping the point of one of her horns.

“I don’t see it,” Redstone said. “I just see yer mother in you.”

“You… You didn’t come when she passed,” Lorie said quietly. “I thought for sure that you’d…”

Redstone sighed deeply, interlocking his fingers as he leaned forward on his desk. “I’m sure yer mother told you what went down between us,” he began. “I… I reached out t’her. Back when th’Orphan revolution failed, I thought for sure she’d be willin’ to let me back int’yer life. But she told me t’stay away. The harm I done her… Well, it was th’sort that ran deep. Despite that, though, I loved her ‘nough t’respect her wishes. I stayed away, even after she was gone. Did I make th’right call? In retrospect, probably not. But I’m a man defined as much by my mistakes as my successes, and I’ve a whole lotta them behind me.”

“Is that why you finally accepted my application?” Lorie asked. “You wanted to make amends?”

“Well, y’seemed determined to come out here fer some reason. I figured yer mother never said anythin’ ‘bout ignorin’ you if you came lookin’ for me, so I’m still on the straight an’ narrow in that regard.”

“It’s not just about you, uh… Sir? Darren? We’ll have to work on that. But it’s not about you. The point is that I believe in the work you’re doing out here. This doesn’t just run on your side of the family, mind, my mother was every inch the lawman you were too. This… This is just what I was meant to do.”

“And Torrino?” Redstone asked.

“We all have to make sacrifices,” Lorie swallowed. “I… I love Torrino, but if he won’t come with me--”

Redstone held his hand up to cut her off. “Don’t make that decision. Not yet, anyway. That was one of th’mistakes in my life I was just speakin’ of. Th’point is… If y’want it, there’s a place fer y’here in the Black Marshals. It’s a miserable, cold, thankless existence, an’y’need t’think it over long an’hard ‘fore y’go an’sacrifice a warm bed an’loving heart to sign up. Just… Think on it ‘fore y’commit, alright? Think on it a long time.”

Lorie nodded slowly. “And if I don’t join up?”

Redstone smiled. “Then my door is always open t’you, an’you won’t ever worry ‘bout havin’ t’salute me or risk th’appearance of my playin’ favorites. Personally, I’d prefer that, but I forfeited th’right t’tell y’how t’live a long time ago.”

Lorie nodded again. “I’ll think about it,” she agreed. “I’ll think about it until I’m sure, one way or the other.”

“That’s all I could have asked for,” Redstone said. The room lightened as the rainclouds broke, allowing the golden light of the sunset to spill into the small office.

“Say,” Redstone said, nodding his head out the window. “You fancy takin’ a ride while yer thinkin’ things over?”

“I’d love to,” Lorie said.

riders-in-sunset.jpg

Let's give an applause to Mike M for finishing off this game with one of his fantastic character stories!

SxjmAVc.gif

With that, we're all free. As you guys can probably tell, even though most will most likely DM new settings and a fresh universe, I still left some loose ends for someone else to expand upon should they choose (be it through a game or what may be the roots of a written story.)

I could also talk a lot about the behind the scenes stuff and how so many things changed over both the course of planning and as the game was played, but it would be a life biography at this point, so... I'll just say that I wanted to go for something that was far more grounded and more localized with a heavy suspense angle, while presenting elements of modern manipulation of politics and information in a fantasy setting. In short time (when I first saw MGS4's story) I wanted to do it without trying to reminisce of the previous game in an abusive way to the point where I instead wanted to turn expectations of familiar things upside down when possible to show much things have changed over thirty years.

Thanks for DMing KM, I had a good time even through all the times you think you messed up :p I enjoyed playing both of my characters and I feel that they each had good to great arcs.

We're at that downtime period in between campaigns right now. Some time in the next few days I'll get around to making a new thread with fully fleshed-out character creation guidelines, but I expect there to be a few weeks to a month of additional downtime after I post it. I want to at least get through the first CPA exam first, and plus I think an RP break would be welcome for some of us. And of course people need time to build their characters.

I'll post a notification in this thread whenever the new one goes up. For now though, well done everyone :)

Top Bottom