• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Explosion at cultural centre in Suruc, Turkey, at least 27 confirmed dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

kazegami

Those people who died there were going to help Kobane, a city saved from ISIS, to reconstruct.
Here's one of the tweets from someone who died there. They were collecting toys for the kids of Kobane:

CKWwpBPWwAAEcpA.jpg

KPJZKC

If this is found to have been ISIS, it will probably be one of the biggest mistakes ISIS could have made.

Turkey was more or less ignoring ISIS, but with this kind of aggression...Erdogan isn't exactly the type to lose face and ignore this (unless this is okay because they're mostly kurds).

Fuck. Just watched the video.

Seriously, it's time to take the gloves fucking off. No more of this suave bullshit.

Put fucking ISIS heads on pikes. They say they don't fear death. The world needs to make them fear death.

So much unnecessary death caused by these fucks.

It's absolutely fucking enraging.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
If this is found to have been ISIS, it will probably be one of the biggest mistakes ISIS could have made.

Turkey was more or less ignoring ISIS, but with this kind of aggression...Erdogan isn't exactly the type to lose face and ignore this (unless this is okay because they're mostly kurds).

I very much doubt Erdogan would ever allow IS to start shit in Turkey. He's acutely aware of the dangers that pose their tactics of destabilization and probably wants none of it at home.

Angelcurio

This seems to be a video of the incident ... Holy Shit

This is depressing, it was a pacific manifestation, you can even see one of the girls holding a flag looking to her left side as if something was being put next to her just a second before the explosion. So many lives lost in the blink of an eye, this mass murdering needs to stop.

I don't see a future in the region where this stuff stops happening any time soon. No country with a decent army is willing to tackle Daesh head on with ground troops because the cost would be too great.

This is depressing, it was a pacific manifestation, you can even see one of the girls holding a flag looking to her left side as if something was being put next to her just a second before the explosion. So many lives lost in the blink of an eye, this mass murdering needs to stop.

Unfortunately you won't see a single western government do anything more than spew empty phrases and continue on letting this shit fester on.

KPJZKC

I don't see a future in the region where this stuff stops happening any time soon. No country with a decent army is willing to tackle Daesh head on with ground troops because the cost would be too great.

We'll see what Turkey will do - the question is whether it will be confined to inside their own country. It's not exactly a small military power.

slit

Unfortunately you won't see a single western government do anything more than spew empty phrases and continue on letting this shit fester on.

What exactly is the West supposed to do? Invade and occupy? That never ends well. Bombing them alone isn't going to work. The people who live there have to do something.

We'll see what Turkey will do - the question is whether it will be confined to inside their own country. It's not exactly a small military power.

What did Turkey do last year when ISIS hit two south cities? Nothing. They (Turkey) simply supplied ISIS with more weapons and safe passage into Syria and Iraq. Turkey is not a saint in this conflict, they made a big bet towards Muslim brotherhood (failed) and to oust Assad (failed). What the fuck was Erdogan thinking, just when I was proud to call my country the role model for the region.

What's worse? The Turks hate the Kurds, the Turkish media portrays the Kurds as second class citizens. I just don't get it, these guys have been living with us for years now, it's OK to live together ffs!

For those who don't know, the town of Soruc is mainly Kurdish which is about 15 KMs away from the border of Turkey - Syria, near the town of Kobane.

It's assumed that ISIS hit this town because people were gathering at a cultural center to help rebuild the town of Kobane, which ISIS is fighing over with the Kurdish Peshmerga.

CKXc9QuVEAASQOk.jpg

CKXTmaNUkAAsJKC.jpg

CKXEwjmUYAAb8N1.jpg

CKXBTdyWUAATNdj.jpg

CKW5i4LWUAA9iqr.jpg

Gorger

I can't think of anyone else who would attack a cultural center. ISIS despises education, culture and intelligence.

ISIS is a the very oxymoron of all of that.

My condolence to Turkey-GAF and everyone who have lost their loved ones. More must be done to rid these deranged pieces of shits from the face of the earth. I am afraid these random attacks are just going to continue endlessly in the unforeseen future. The world just doesn't seem bothered enough to really come together and work out a plan to defeat them.

Gorger

For those who don't know, the town of Soruc is mainly Kurdish which is about 15 KMs away from the border of Turkey - Syria, near the town of Kobane.

It's assumed that ISIS hit this town because people were gathering at a cultural center to help rebuild the town of Kobane, which ISIS is fighing over with the Kurdish Peshmerga.

CKXc9QuVEAASQOk.jpg

CKXTmaNUkAAsJKC.jpg

CKXEwjmUYAAb8N1.jpg

CKXBTdyWUAATNdj.jpg

CKW5i4LWUAA9iqr.jpg

This so fucking sad.... How can someone be so utterly void of humanity.

What exactly is the West supposed to do? Invade and occupy? That never ends well. Bombing them alone isn't going to work. The people who live there have to do something.

I don't buy that excuse. Standing by is allowing this to happen. Standing by is also endangering us in the mid to long term.
We no longer can afford to idly stand by and let this human tragedy at our doorstep continue on. And to put that responsibility on some poorly organised PKK fighters and a few equally radical islamist rebels in Syria is just downright disgusting.

Then again, I don't believe that any western government is even bothered by what happens there, were it not for all the asylum seekers that this crisis is driving to the EU and inciting a highly xenophobic electorate that might not elect their cowardly career politician ass anymore.
This is as much a crime against humanity by ISIS as it is a historic failure of the west and it's shameful that we still believe the myth about our inaction being the only option.
in an inter-connected world, tragedies like this simply can't be treated as a local and isolated problem. Such a notion is dangerously naive.

dakun

No religion justifies the killing of others.
Regardless of whether THIS is a religiously motivated attack or not. That statement is a huge lie and you know it.

I'm in istanbul right now. Scary stuff. My thoughts are with the families and friends of the victims

Ikael

My condolences to the Turkish people. I do hope that the authorities can identify the authors of this massacre quickly, and then prolly exterminate them into oblivion.

CKXc9QuVEAASQOk.jpg

CKXTmaNUkAAsJKC.jpg

CKXEwjmUYAAb8N1.jpg

CKXBTdyWUAATNdj.jpg

CKW5i4LWUAA9iqr.jpg
i hope ISIS DIAF

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2

CKXc9QuVEAASQOk.jpg

CKXTmaNUkAAsJKC.jpg

CKXEwjmUYAAb8N1.jpg

CKXBTdyWUAATNdj.jpg

CKW5i4LWUAA9iqr.jpg

I want off this planet already

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I want off this planet already

I see these amazing people, who wanted to help rebuild a town lost because of insane pieces of filth, who were collecting toys for children...and no I don't want off this planet.

Only thing that needs to disappear forever is The Islamic State. This is going to sound insane, but I want them dead. All of them. They are a blight on humanity.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood

CKXc9QuVEAASQOk.jpg

CKXTmaNUkAAsJKC.jpg

CKXEwjmUYAAb8N1.jpg

CKXBTdyWUAATNdj.jpg

CKW5i4LWUAA9iqr.jpg

There is no Peshmerga in Syria, those are Kurdish forces in Northern Iraq. The PYD/ YPG fights in Syria against Isis, which is an offshoot of the PKK. Hence Turkeys reluctance to give them any kind of direct aid.

That said I don't agree with you at all that the Turks hate the Kurds. And it's kinda ironic you say that when you post pictures of leftist Turks who have volunteered to help a Kurdish city to rebuilt.

Anyway such a sad event, but the thing is nobody in Turkey is surprised that this has happened. This government is partly to blame of the shitty situation there and I wonder how they are gonna clean this mess up. In the last few weeks they toughned up against ISIS, with upto 60 arrests of suspected ISIS members in Turkey.

I don't know what's going to happen, but this ISIS threath isn't going away by just ignoring them. It will be kust waiting for the next bomb to go off.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
I see these amazing people, who wanted to help rebuild a town lost because of insane pieces of filth, who were collecting toys for children...and no I don't want off this planet.

Only thing that needs to disappear forever is The Islamic State. This is going to sound insane, but I want them dead. All of them. They are a blight on humanity.

That's why I find it sickening to see how those people got killed. Can't stand this shit...

There is no Peshmerga in Syria, those are Kurdish forces in Northern Iraq. The PYD/ YPG fights in Syria against Isis, which is an offshoot of the PKK. Hence Turkeys reluctance to give them any kind of direct aid.

That said I don't agree with you at all that the Turks hate the Kurds. And it's kinda ironic you say that when you post pictures of leftist Turks who have volunteered to help a Kurdish city to rebuilt.

Anyway such a sad event, but the thing is nobody in Turkey is surprised that this has happened. This government is partly to blame of the shitty situation there and I wonder how they are gonna clean this mess up. In the last few weeks they toughned up against ISIS, with upto 60 arrests of suspected ISIS members in Turkey.

I don't know what's going to happen, but this ISIS threath isn't going away by just ignoring them. It will be kust waiting for the next bomb to go off.

You're correct, its the YPG. Got my factions mixed up throughout all this.

I disagree with you, in general I think the Turks and Kurds don't have the best relationship. I believed the AKP government when they initially proposed peace but I no longer believe in their intentions.

Turkey needs to help the Kurds and end the co flit with the PKK. Turkey standing by and not doing anything is going to backfire.

slit

I don't buy that excuse. Standing by is allowing this to happen. Standing by is also endangering us in the mid to long term.
We no longer can afford to idly stand by and let this human tragedy at our doorstep continue on. And to put that responsibility on some poorly organised PKK fighters and a few equally radical islamist rebels in Syria is just downright disgusting.

Then again, I don't believe that any western government is even bothered by what happens there, were it not for all the asylum seekers that this crisis is driving to the EU and inciting a highly xenophobic electorate that might not elect their cowardly career politician ass anymore.
This is as much a crime against humanity by ISIS as it is a historic failure of the west and it's shameful that we still believe the myth about our inaction being the only option.
in an inter-connected world, tragedies like this simply can't be treated as a local and isolated problem. Such a notion is dangerously naive.

Great, you didn't answer the question though.

What should the West do?

Great, you didn't answer the question though.

What should the West do?
The West should help redraw the borders. It's really the only way out of this mess. The borders were so badly created, as if the authorities wanted conflict in the middle east.

Kurds especially need to their own country.

slit

The West should help redraw the borders. It's really the only way out of this mess. The borders were so badly created, as if the authorities wanted conflict in the middle east.

Kurds especially need to their own country.

Do you really think some man made border is going to stop this mess? IS already spans multiple countries.

Do you really think some man made border is going to stop this mess? IS already spans multiple countries.

I mean it's a start? I just don't realistically see Shia, Sunni and Kurds living together, revenge killings and so on and all.

But to your point, borders aren't the only thing. You absolutely need troops on the ground, the air-only campaigns can only do so much, especially with ISIS learning to evade the bombs.

Cub3h

Banned
I don't know if I wanna watch that video, what exactly does it show? bodies being blown up?

There's no gore from what I can see (I half watched away knowing at some point there'd be an explosion), but there's a group of people with a banner and then you see an explosion and the person recording turns away to run. I did watch it on mute because people were saying it was really haunting.

The shocking part is how close-up everything is, usually these types of videos are taken from security cameras or other video from far away.

Walpurgis

Banned
Nato ally. Its relatively big.
I hope so. I am just disheartened by how the media handled the slaughter in Iraq a few days ago and the slaughters in Nigeria a few months back. I just checked CBC and the Turkey story is very well hidden. However, it is a top story on CNN so that makes me hopeful that this story will get the attention it deserves.

dabig2

I mean it's a start? I just don't realistically see Shia, Sunni and Kurds living together, revenge killings and so on and all.

But to your point, borders aren't the only thing. You absolutely need troops on the ground, the air-only campaigns can only do so much, especially with ISIS learning to evade the bombs.

So we have western foreign powers not only occupying the lands, but reforming them again. There are going to be tons of losers in that kind of deal. And you know what the losers go on to do? Not fuck the prom queen, or in this case, they decide to blow up the prom queen and now we're back to square 1 with an entrenched and pissed off minority who get to preach their hate and can now point to a definable, omnipresent enemy who literally descends from the skies with hellfire and divides the land and her people. We would give cassus belli to the next generation's Osama Bin Laden.

Yeah, we've been at this for a very long time now and we've only continually made it worse. I rather we don't repeat the same mistakes.

Duji

Jesus... that footage of the actual explosion is gruesome.

These IS morons need to be abso-fucking-letly destroyed. This isn't because of a religion. No religion justifies the killing of others.
Ever heard of the Crusades? Not all interpretations of every religion is peaceful.

So we have western foreign powers not only occupying the lands, but reforming them again. There are going to be tons of losers in that kind of deal. And you know what the losers go on to do? Not fuck the prom queen, or in this case, they decide to blow up the prom queen and now we're back to square 1 with an entrenched and pissed off minority who get to preach their hate and can now point to a definable, omnipresent enemy who literally descends from the skies with hellfire and divides the land and her people. We would give cassus belli to the next generation's Osama Bin Laden.

Yeah, we've been at this for a very long time now and we've only continually made it worse. I rather we don't repeat the same mistakes.

Fair point.

It's helpless really, the people in the region must find peace among themselves but that seems impossible to do with the likes of IS and so on.

slit

Here's the problem, doing that won't stop it. It may temporarily slow their attacks but as soon as you pull out the same thing happens. When you're asking a mother, father, husband, or wife to allow their children/spouse to potentially be killed it should not be in vain and I have seen no evidence that putting a foreign troops on the ground will change anything long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom