• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Extremist Militia Occupies Federal Building In Oregon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dai101

Banned
ENwEyTn.png

This is amazing.

And i bet the they come in 4XL size.

neshcom

Banned
Haha, this is little, but I love how they try to sell the illustrious ~~~~~Gildan~~~~~~ brand as a premium shirt.

eu pfhor ia

Neo Member
Terrorism is the use of fear to achieve a political end. Occupying a building is just protest. Nobody's terrified about going about their day due to this.

Really? Not even the Fish and Wildlife employees who were probably supposed to be working today? (not to mention law enforcement assigned to keep watch on them)

Bottom line is, the American public is free to interpret these peoples' actions in any way they want at this point, given the facts. Calling them domestic terrorists is not an unreasonable interpretation.

The only thing left is to wait and see how the courts interpret all of this, though.

Slavik81

I am not going to claim they are terrorists or not, but seriously? If this were someone's house or an empty office or something rather than a government building, and a bunch of jerks with guns came in and occupied it, said they weren't going to leave, and planned to profit off the land they just stole, would you still have this reaction? Defending?

Well, yeah? Once you have possession, you're defending when you prevent people from taking it back. It's not like defense is inherently righteous or anything. It's just the side of the fight that's protecting the status quo. If the status quo is unjust, the defense may be unjust.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
did they ever say why the one dude was lighting fires on federal land?

Their defense was it was a controlled burn to get rid of brush that got out of hand. It IS something that Farmers and Ranchers do, but these guy's history has me dubious of the claims.

besada

Banned
Their defense was it was a controlled burn to get rid of brush that got out of hand. It IS something that Farmers and Ranchers do, but these guy's history has me dubious of the claims.
That was their defense for the second arson they were tried on. Their defense for the Hardie-Hammond fire was they were trying to burn out an invasive plant species, but given that their own kin testified against them, and given they were convicted, yeah I'd be a little skeptical of their claims.

Slavik81

Really? Not even the Fish and Wildlife employees who were probably supposed to be working today? (not to mention law enforcement assigned to keep watch on them)

Bottom line is, the American public is free to interpret these peoples' actions in any way they want at this point, given the facts. Calling them domestic terrorists is not an unreasonable interpretation.

The only thing left is to wait and see how the courts interpret all of this, though.
That's fair, but while they may be scared, that wasn't the point of the action.

I don't really care about this group at all. I just don't like how 'terrorism' has become a label to apply to all unsanctioned political violence. It actually does have a specific meaning, and it's a distinction worth making because (imo) terrorism is almost always wrong while political violence may sometimes be justified. Even if this one is not.

(If you want examples, the Air India bombing is a good example of completely unjustifiable terrorism, while the American Revolution was an act of political violence that I find difficult to begrudge.)

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Violence towards practical ends is not terrorism. Its purpose needs to be to incite terror. If its purpose is defending territory, that's not terrorism.

Yes, it's disruptive. Protests are disruptive. Yes, it's a stupid protest. Yes, they should be imprisoned when they're eventually starved out of there. But not every bad thing is terrorism.

DEFENDING?

Not entirely sure why people are getting on Slavik's case for using the word "defending." He's clearly not using it to imply these chucklefucks are justified and has explained as much.

Slavik81

They occupied it with guns and are using women and children as meat shields.

This isn't a protest.
We might have different definitions of 'protest' if you feel that's relevant. I understood it to be entirely unqualified, just being "a statement or action expressing disapproval of or objection to something."

How on earth is this a protest? It'a pretty obvious this is terrorism.

Those two things are not mutually exclusive, if that's what you're arguing. That said, I did make my case as to why it's not terrorism. (tl;dr: the general public is not terrified.)

Okay.

I think you need to go to bed.
A good idea. Arguing word definitions is simply uninteresting. I won't distract this thread any further.

obin_gam

Have the feds leveled them yet?* Fucking rednecks.

* Have the feds said anything on what they are planning to do?

fixedpoint

This is another take on the subject, with more history, written from more of an insider's perspective:
http://www.feministmormonhousewives...e-more-violent-fanatics-than-other-religions/
Interesting, thank you. I had no idea that Mormonism had such a violent history.
Assuming this group needs certain resources to function long term, can't police attempt to arrest anyone leaving the building for supplies or block people from entering the area? I get that there is an increased risk in doing that, but I kind of doubt someone is going to go down in a hail of bullets on their way to the grocery store. That and cutting off power and water would force them to somehow be self-sufficient within the area of the building, which would be very difficult.
The sooner these fuckers get out of my state the better. It's just embarrassing that these filth are bringing attention to a state that is generally one of the more progressive in the country.
According to this, the US Park Service is planning to cut power and phone service, and to block roads leading to the reserve. From the same article, these are their supplies for the winter -
They occupied it with guns and are using women and children as meat shields.

This isn't a protest.
The most cowardly tactic. I guess I'm not surprised that people like this would use children as a shield, but it's still depressing.

Jinaar

The general public and media are terrified to not speak out. "Disenfranchised" (not 'smrt' men) white males with the Constitutional right to bear arms without worry and reprimand from government or local authorities. I'd be terrified if I lived in the U S of Terror.

fixedpoint

Won't someone PLEASE think about the ranchers!

UqkhPG7.png
Another tidbit from the Dept. of Hypocrisy - Ammon Bundy's business has received a federally-subsidized small business loan.
Ammon Bundy runs a Phoenix-based company called Valet Fleet Services LLC, which specializes in repairing and maintaining fleets of semitrucks throughout Arizona. On April 15, 2010—Tax Day, as it happens—Bundy's business borrowed $530,000 through a Small Business Administration loan guarantee program. The available public record does not indicate what the loan was used for or whether it was repaid. The SBA website notes that this loan guarantee was issued under a program "to aid small businesses which are unable to obtain financing in the private credit marketplace." The government estimated that this subsidy could cost taxpayers $22,419. Bundy did not respond to an email request for comment about the SBA loan.
http://m.motherjones.com/politics/2016/01/ammon-bundy-oregon-protest-sba-loan

andycapps

Interesting, thank you. I had no idea that Mormonism had such a violent history.

According to this, the US Park Service is planning to cut power and phone service, and to block roads leading to the reserve. From the same article, these are their supplies for the winter -

The most cowardly tactic. I guess I'm not surprised that people like this would use children as a shield, but it's still depressing.

lol at the box of Ramen noodles. That's enough food for one family for a week or so. 30+ people will go through that in days.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
They haven't done this already? The response to this has been a joke.
I think the general idea is to not shock them. Let them set up shop, then as they graduslly realize how Ill prepared they are, you cut them off for good.

Sort of the siege form of how you get a cat accustomed to a new home.

It's ridiculous that there is such a clash between the tactics used here and those used for truly peaceful protests and civil disobedience, though. Don't even get me started on the media response

studyguy

My pantry looks better stocked than that... Feel bad for the families just dragged along by mom and dad nutjobs.

lawnchair

Banned
could the US govt bring terrorism charges against these guys if they wanted to? my sense is that they don't want any attention on this, and don't want to acknowledge the far-right terrorism shit .. but i wonder what the sentencing would be like if some of these guys were brought up on terrorism type charges

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
could the US govt bring terrorism charges against these guys if they wanted to? my sense is that they don't want any attention on this, and don't want to acknowledge the far-right terrorism shit .. but i wonder what the sentencing would be like if some of these guys were brought up on terrorism type charges

Most would probably be given pleas for lesser or no time served, but hopefully effort is made to punish the Bundys and other ringleaders.

Furyous

This is another take on the subject, with more history, written from more of an insider's perspective:

http://www.feministmormonhousewives...e-more-violent-fanatics-than-other-religions/

Yeah church culture does kinda promote this mentality so I could see how someone reached wit's end and said fuck it. I am in no way condoning this and look forward to slandering the first person that comes at me with the but,but,but, blacks fuckery.

The general public and media are terrified to not speak out. "Disenfranchised" (not 'smrt' men) white males with the Constitutional right to bear arms without worry and reprimand from government or local authorities. I'd be terrified if I lived in the U S of Terror.

Shit's weird as they legit think they're losing the country. All of this feels like the beginning of DMZ to an extent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom