• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EYE: Divine Cybermancy |OT| Eye For An Eye - Indie FPS/RPG, Source engine

subversus said:
yes, this is why I'm so excited. It feels very old school. Like you walk in the shop, browse games knowing almost nothing about them and buying one just because description and screenshots look cool.

I hope this one doesn't suck.

Loved that feeling. last time i did this it was for Precursors and i ended up loving that game, hoping for a two for two.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
LuchaShaq said:
Is there a demo?

Looks interesting but I HATE the source engine for FPS. Always feel like I'm weightless and on rollerblades.
That's not as much Source engine as it is how Valve makes their games. If you played Dark Messiah you'd know that Source doesn't necessarily mean floaty arcade'y movement.

LuchaShaq said:
Is there a demo?

Looks interesting but I HATE the source engine for FPS. Always feel like I'm weightless and on rollerblades.

Just picture yourself as a lightning fast ninja, running fluently on air. And play that melee combat class then

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I get excited when buying games I've never even heard of, totally on a whim.

It takes me back to my Sega Genesis days.

Will install and post impressions later.

Hakkuei

subversus said:
according to this reveiw the game is hardcore...
Yeah, I translated the conclusion if anyone is interested :

E.Y.E is one of a dying breed : PC exclusives that are "very" hardcore and that's got lean and some balls. The game will not take you by the hand to make you discover the wealth of its gameplay and you will curse at the difficulty or the health/save system more than one time. But once you have assimilated the basics and swallowed your pride, it's a great pleasure to play through this ambitious and visceral title.

Hakkuei said:
Yeah, I translated the conclusion if anyone is interested :

E.Y.E is one of a dying breed : PC exclusives that are "very" hardcore and that's got lean and some balls. The game will not take you by the hand to make you discover the wealth of its gameplay and you will curse at the difficulty or the health/save system more than one time. But once you have assimilated the basics and swallowed your pride, it's a great pleasure to play through this ambitious and visceral title.
Sounds likethe first time I played STALKER, ran in guns blazing and died about twenty times in that first attack. Will be more careful this time :)

Will join in some coop once the controls and systems are figured out

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
So how much of the game benefits from multiplayer? The more the better for me. My roommate and I will want to play this.

Herla

Ok, I played it for half an hour and ... it's weird. In a good way, mostly.

The first thing you're presented with is a tutorial screen with 23 entries. The "Weapon Reload" tutorial tells you to open the quick menu, select it, then go to the weapon abilities and clic the "reload icon". Or you could just press "R".

Then I try to open the inventory and find this. At first I thought "what a weird inventory screen!", then I figured out it was a bug. A bug that, sadly, makes it almost impossible to change equipment on my character.

An NPC that talks like an alien from Knights of the Old Republic sends me to kill some guards, so I charge, sword in hand, like a proper badass and die almost instantly. And resurrect almost instantly. Then I press a button and these guys appear out of nowhere and I manage to kill everyone.

There's A LOT to figure out and learn. It's definetly intriguing and the style is nice. Too bad the sword combat is not as good as I expected...
Now I just hope they fix the inventory bug :(

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
OP is updated. Now it's OT. It will be changed and updated.

PM'd Nirolak to change OT title.

Now let's play this.

Really looking for some impressions. The videos on the Steam page make the levels look really dark and empty; I was actually getting more of a Perfect Dark vibe than Deus Ex.

That said, I know it's a small team and I think I read "20 hours of gameplay" somewhere (which sounds outrageous) so my interest is still very high.

subversus

played it for half an hour.

it's interesting. I liked combat, it encourages experimenting with weapons and approaches.

But it's an indie game. You can feel it. Not janky, but it's there. Nothing bad about it though. 10 people made it on a low budget so you can't blame them for lack of VO for example.

IndieJones said:
Really looking for some impressions. The videos on the Steam page make the levels look really dark and empty; I was actually getting more of a Perfect Dark vibe than Deus Ex.

That said, I know it's a small team and I think I read "20 hours of gameplay" somewhere (which sounds outrageous) so my interest is still very high.

From their FAQ:

"How long will the solo play be?"

It is really variable, but for a player doing only the main quest, and being a good FPS player, let's say around 15 hours. For a player who wants more to discover worlds, to explore, to accomplish some secondary quests, this duration can be easily tripled. And for a player who wants to discover everything, do everything, it's not possible to say. Without counting the almost infinite re-playability of the game

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Co-op is making this look fun as hell. I don't think any of my friends will bite on this until it's super cheap though. :/

subversus

also if some mod reading this: could you rename the thread into "EYE: Divine Cybermancy |OT| Eye for an Eye"?

subversus

ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
I'm at work so I can't really look up much information on this. Can you play the entire campaign in co-op or is it a separate mode?

I think you can play an entire campaign but I'm not 100% sure. But it seems to be more fun in coop.

Tremis

This man does his research.
So there is some kind of integrated multiplayer too? Or is it separate?

Also, is co-op only 2 people or 4?

Twinduct

Well, going in blind. The art in the OP had enough for me.
Plus I saw the first minute of the trailer ... dual welding Katana?
Sign me up!

Thanks the deuce I don't get buyers remorse from supporting indies :D

edit: ok so before I get burned by steam and not be able to buy the 4 pack, can anyone comment on the co-op?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Hakkuei said:
Yep, you can.
Definitely going to play all of this in coop. Seems a lot more fun than playing on my own.

Max

I am not Max
Tremis said:

ToyBroker said:
Is it cross-play enabled? For us lonely OSX users
negative

Anyone looking to buy a 4-pack? I really want to get it for $13.50

subversus

thetrin said:
Definitely going to play all of this in coop. Seems a lot more fun than playing on my own.

yep.

writing isn't on par with desigh. Whoever translated this did pretty subpar job. Or it wasn't good in the first place.

cwmartin

I don't think any of my buds would be interested, can you play with randoms in the game system or only link with friends?

Hakkuei

Tremis said:

Coop is up to 8 players, but 4 players max is highly recommended because otherwise it can get buggy.

Herla

One thing I'm really liking about the game: they got shotguns right! I can't think of many games where the shotgun is not just a close range weapon with a ridiculous spread.

Other stuff...the inventory bug disappeared. You have different slots on different parts of your body, so it feels like Deus Ex but with separate smaller inventories.
Sadly there's no armor customization apart from the usual "light/medium/heavy" selection, the good thing is that you can change it any time you want.

The save system is...I don't know what it is. If you quit during a mission you'll have to start it over, but you still keep the progress your character made (experience, equipment...).
Enemies seem to be randomly generated.

The fact that I still haven't touched all the powers, abilities and research stuff (!?) scares me a bit, there's a lot going on.

subversus

Linkzg said:
so this does have a decent single player portion?

not if you're into deep character development (I mean story-wise). But I'm only 45 minutes in so it's way early to judge. But what they say and how they say it doesn't sound... inspiring.

Gameplay is solid and promising.

Top Bottom