• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EYE: Divine Cybermancy |OT| Eye For An Eye - Indie FPS/RPG, Source engine

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
ok, so I played it a bit more and it seems to be a very fun game when you hotkey all your powers and learn what is what.

The game is definitely deep. I'm yet to delve into research and other options.

and it seems that writing isn't THAT bad, at least there will be some plot with betrayals and shit like that but it definitely could be better. That's the only thing I don't like in the game so far but it promises to be bearable at least.

Played the game for about 40 minutes and the sweeping, shallow impression I have is that Eye is kind of clunky but neat. It's like if William Gibson, ninjas, Deus Ex and the Source engine had a baby.

The user interface is a bit clunky, it just could have used some more iteration. I found the character creation kind of annoying because they have all of these different genes you can choose from to alter your character build but you have to cycle through each one in drop down menus to get an idea of what each gene does. It would've been better to have a list where you could simply mouse over each and then click on one to add it to one of the three gene/skill slots.

The enter key is use, why? In a no mans land between wasd and the mouse. Gonna have to change that. This is a Source game, why can I not simply climb up and down a ladder by approaching it?

In-game it seems as though everything revolves around the action menu. I've set shortcuts to the action menu but haven't figured out the hotkey abilities yet.

Me likey the inventory system and weights. Not only do you have to worry about fitting equipment in various slots on your person but weight plays a role as well. The more loaded out you are, the more bogged down you can get.

The combat is alright but the enemies don't seem too bright or accurate.

It's going to take a fair bit of playing the game to really form a solid opinion but I've liked what little I've seen thus far.

Herla

Wow hacking is better than I expected! Once you figure out how it works you can have a lot of fun with it. I love to hack looters and make them shoot at each other.
I even possessed a computer...that was weird.

The only thing I'm not liking at all is how enemies respawn: you can clear an area and then, out of nowhere, 3 more guys pop up.

Oh and the "role playing" part doesn't seem to be exclusive to "character progression", you can bribe certain NPCs or make them help you in exchange for their lives...it's limited, but it's there.

Carcetti

Impressions: ultra negative so far, as the game doesn't even start. Nothing happens when I try to start it from Steam, absolutely nothing. Sigh.

Edit: managed to get around this problem as I forced the hanging EYE process to resume via the Process Explorer software. More to come.

Midou

Steam says local co-op, does that include like at least 2 player split-screen or anything? I know its rare for PC games to have split-screen, but I'm not sure what else local co-op could mean.

Aaron

Midou said:
Steam says local co-op, does that include like at least 2 player split-screen or anything? I know its rare for PC games to have split-screen, but I'm not sure what else local co-op could mean.
Source engine supports split-screen on PC, so it's definitely possible though I haven't tried.

Twinduct

Really enjoying it. Yes it has the 'indie' feel, can't really put my finger on why though.
The game is really fun. Only got until the second proper stage (EVE or whatever). Already restarted my Character.

First guy was melee focused, well I though he was, but I didn't invest into the correct skills. I found hacking terribly hard with the first guy and because I didn't invest into the correct skills, my assumed melee profession lead the game to be extremely hard
(Hell I had to sneak on top of structures, waiting for the guy to turn away, leap down on him hand his ass to him and then get back into the shadows, or I get killed like a boss).

So restarted, invested heavily into hacking and guns. Now I kinda just hack my way through the game. On the first level I had like 4 looters just running around killing their brethren. Also turned the sentries against their owners. Hell I have yet to kill a single person myself hah.

As someone else said, the game really feels deep. Can't confirm if it's just on face value, but at this stage, playing as two separate builds, it was a completely different experience.

I love the soundtrack! it really fits so well with the bleak feel. Saw that its up for download, so gonna grab it.

Have not tried MP/ Co-op yet. But it should be really fun! Especially if you diversify the skill sets offered.

And now for some tips with hacking:
What I found so far, to be the easiest way to hack is start by mask, then hit overflow, then attack. Repeat.

The train of thought is like this: You take down their attack value (mask). They try to counter it by increasing theirs. You then increase your attack value (overflow). They then try to counter you by taking yours down. And then you attack.

What this leads to is a game of chase, which you win, thanks to having a quicker 'hacking gauge' or whatever its called. The nice thing here is that the only value you have to worry about is your own Cyber HP.

skacky

Neo Member
Hey everyone, I'm skacky and I'm one of the developers. I'm glad you like the game and I hope you'll have fun discovering more stuff in the future!
We're currently working on a patch that should resolve the unforeseen bugs and issues players encountered while playing. If you have any bug report to do, feel free to do it as I'll be checking the thread regularly. ;)

Right now our biggest issue is the crashes related to 32 bits systems. That should be fixed pretty soon and it's our priority.

Thank you again!

wilflare

19 & 21 said:
Accidentally bought (really, been a long fucking night)a 4 pack just now. First three to quote with steam names gets 'em.

is it still available?
steam: wilflare :D

you are AWEESOME

okay.. i just saw the timestamp but you are still AWESOME

Twinduct

skacky said:
Hey everyone, I'm skacky and I'm one of the developers. I'm glad you like the game and I hope you'll have fun discovering more stuff in the future!
We're currently working on a patch that should resolve the unforeseen bugs and issues players encountered while playing. If you have any bug report to do, feel free to do it as I'll be checking the thread regularly. ;)

Right now our biggest issue is the crashes related to 32 bits systems. That should be fixed pretty soon and it's our priority.

Thank you again!

Hi Shacky,
Thanks for letting us know. I do actually have a weird problem, I could reproduce it once, but not afterwards. Basically on the first stage you get sent on by the commander, I had a CTD error. This happened as I was hacking a looter, right after I hacked another one, without leaving the hacking screen. So I hacked a guy and just clicked on the next looter and started to hack, before the CTD, it said ' loading virus ' or something (as in loading the 'hack' you are sending to the person)

Once I got back in I tried the same thing at the same place and it CTD again. Third time however it didn't CTD (and it has yet to CTD since).

So not really a bug report (or anything major). Just little heads-up on what I found.

(Btw no error report was generated, so can't really help there)

Other than that, awesome game, thanks! =)

I think this game could use some structure and order to it. I am not saying that it should be a linear completely locked down progression and reward structure of current big budget games. But this game has a lot different mechanics all over the place and its not clear how or even if they are working or what you should be doing.

There are stats and levels but other than picking your starting character stats it doesn't seem like getting levels makes a huge difference. There is hacking and magic/psi mechanics which I haven't touched at all because I didn't care to and the game gave me no reason to bother with them.

There are implants and apparently you have most of them unlocked but you have to buy some of them? They seem to mainly play into stat progression like leveling up but a lot of is incremental and it's hard to notice a difference. The most significant part it seems is that it effects extra abilities like sprint or jumping.

You have most of the weapons unlocked in the beginning but not all of them. You have to buy some but apparently you can't buy them until your stats are high enough level.

Then there is the research mechanic. You have three things to research and when you finish one it seems like you unlock more things to research. But you can also randomly pick up items that you can research which unlocks more stuff to research. Which I presume will let you research even more stuff? I have no idea why you need to do any of that. Except for some reason the only way to heal in this game is to use a medkit and the only way to get that is to research it, which seems to be the expression compared to everything else you can research.

There are a lot things thrown into this game and its practically impossible to make heads or tails of any of it without spending hours screwing around. Although there is a chance some people might just get bored and give up before any of it makes sense.

Flunkie

Banned
I love when a developer interacts with the community so much. +respect

Anddo was having issues with the controller support a few posts up. Maybe you could explain more about the controller support, shacky.

subversus

Lostconfused said:
There are a lot things thrown into this game and its practically impossible to make heads or tails of any of it without spending hours screwing around. Although there is a chance some people might just get bored and give up before any of it makes sense.

yeah, I agree. I mean I'm not against complex games but there should be more structure to present its complexity right.

I mean I knew everything I need to complete the game after Deus Ex tutorial. This game could benefit from something like that. The first level wasn't a tutorial.

robin2

I loved the mission in the green slums. A lot.
I 'm loving also the Avalon*-like atmosphere.

* Mamoru Oshii's movie

The only problems so far I have with the game, are the interface and trying to figure out some things:
Stealth - Enemeies keep seeing me all the time.
Saving the game and Character progression - Thist is very strange. The game automatically saves once you complete a mission, so, if you quit the game or do anything that would end the current mission, you get to repeat it.. but you always keep all the progress your character has made.
The fact that you keep your progress is.. I just don'' get it; virtually: if you repeat 20 times the very first mission, and then you go on, you get to the second mission with an already high level character!

Exposition is also a problem, it's very hard to get a grip on what's going on. I feel it is a wanted thing but it' a bit too obscure.

About the interface I don't know what to think.. You get used to it, but, as someone else said in this topic, a bar with numbered slots, deus ex style, for both items and powers/abilities, would have been the natural solution. I think.

The last thing I want to say: the uzi-like sub machine gun, is awesome.

Midou said:

I believe this is referring to LAN play. I don't recall seeing a split-screen option but I could be wrong.

Anyone else run into the co-op dialog issue yet (see my last post)? It's super annoying and is making the game unplayable with other people for me.

subversus

Also how can you map weapons to number keys? I mean they are already mapped to them, but just don't work.

Herla

robin2 said:
Medkit/self healing - I researched it, but .. I don't know how to use it; in general I just don't know how to heal mysefl (provided there's a way to). I didn't see any healing item in the armory.

You have to put the syringe in your inventory, select it like any other weapon and right click to heal yourself (left click to heal others). It will recharge over time, so you can only carry one.
There's also a "spell" you can use to convert items (ammo and weapons that NPCs drop) into energy, you can press X to switch abilities and Z to use them.

Now I have a question...is it normal that my character sometimes suicides after failing a hack? It's a pain to randomly have to repeat a mission just because I like to hack everything in sight...

Twinduct

Herla said:
You have to put the syringe in your inventory, select it like any other weapon and right click to heal yourself (left click to heal others). It will recharge over time, so you can only carry one.
There's also a "spell" you can use to convert items (ammo and weapons that NPCs drop) into energy, you can press X to switch abilities and Z to use them.

Now I have a question...is it normal that my character sometimes suicides after failing a hack? It's a pain to randomly have to repeat a mission just because I like to hack everything in sight...

Yep, you need to keep an eye on your Cyber HP. As if it goes into the negatives, you die.
You can counter this by exiting the hacking process ('alla X button at the top') before you reach the negative values.

I might be wrong about this one, but it seems to only occur when you do a 'Hack'. Possession and etc seems to be fine. (Well can only account for possession and energy, both just kicks me out of the hacking window, where as complete hack kills me).

skacky

Neo Member
Herla: This happens when your Cyber Brain gets melted because the enemy firewall's attack was too powerful.
It is a bit too unforgiving right now and we're planning on perhaps nerfing it a bit, or putting something explaining what happened.

Herla

Twinduct said:
Yep, you need to keep an eye on your Cyber HP. As if it goes into the negatives, you die.
You can counter this by exiting the hacking process ('alla X button at the top') before you reach the negative values.

I might be wrong about this one, but it seems to only occur when you do a 'Hack'. Possession and etc seems to be fine. (Well can only account for possession and energy, both just kicks me out of the hacking window, where as complete hack kills me).

Huh. That's weird, I remember seeing negative numbers all the time when failing but only died a couple of time...
I'll try to be more careful anyway, thanks!

EDIT:

@skacky: that's great, more explanation for stuff would be ideal.

Carcetti

First impressions: Very interesting, but needs a wiki to make any sense of the stuff. It's the opposite of the kind of cute, easily accessible indie we've been getting. Very ambitious, very complex, but very hard to get into.

Twinduct

skacky said:
Herla: This happens when your Cyber Brain gets melted because the enemy firewall's attack was too powerful.
It is a bit too unforgiving right now and we're planning on perhaps nerfing it a bit, or putting something explaining what happened.

Shacky, just one request from my side. The possession controls seems waay off. Don't know if it's the AI not being able to do the path finding or something like that, but it feels like I get stopped by can high geometry changes sometimes. Or perhaps I'm missing something, does it become smoother/ easier to control as you lvl the hacking skill?

Plus the 'target' button on the bottom of the possession controls. 99% of the time it seems to target me even when I'm, standing a good distance away. Is it suppose to target me?

An awesome addition would be that you can 'target' (By mouse click) a person you want the possessed to kill, and just put him into attack mode.

Ledsen

I'm guessing this will get a TON of patches to fix the issues people have, so I'll wait a year or so for the kinks to be worked out.

skacky

Neo Member
We are aware the possession controls are a bit clunky right now. We may improve them in a future patch but it's not one of our priorities for now. That being said, it's not impossible for us to tweak the whole thing in the future. ;)

However the fact that it targets you is rather unsettling, I'm adding this to our bugtracking list.

robin2

Herla said:

Yeah I found it out. I'll edit the other post accordingly.

I still want to link numbers to my weapons.. and stealth is still strange.. and there are other things I still don't know exactly (how to get an invisibility cloak, how to unlock grayed-out abilities... It's like playing a complex game without manual).

However I'm enjoying it soo much.

subversus

robin2 said:
Yeah I found it out. I'll edit the other post accordingly.

I still want to link numbers to my weapons.. and stealth is still strange.. and there are other things I still don't know exactly (how to get an invisibility cloak, how to unlock grayed-out abilities... It's like playing a complex game without manual).

However I'm enjoying it soo much.

this!!

Twinduct

skacky said:
We are aware the possession controls are a bit clunky right now. We may improve them in a future patch but it's not one of our priorities for now. That being said, it's not impossible for us to tweak the whole thing in the future. ;)

However the fact that it targets you is rather unsettling, I'm adding this to our bugtracking list.

Thanks, I might be wrong that is strictly targets me. As i don't always see exactly where the guy is who i hack :p

just to clarify, this happens when pressing the lowest button, with the targeting icon. It also seems to sometimes be stuck, where after having pressed the targeting button, when moving forward it will always move toward that target (aka me). Even when I turned into the opposite direction, when pressing forward, the possessed will turn around and walk towards me.

The way I avoid it atm is not to use the target function at all. Just do the 'kill infront of' command atm.

Top Bottom