• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EYE: Divine Cybermancy |OT| Eye For An Eye - Indie FPS/RPG, Source engine

skacky

Neo Member
To people experiencing crashes with the game:

There is a temporary solution while we are working on the patch. In the OPTIONS menu, go to the GAME tab and uncheck ULTRA VIOLENCE.
Hopefully this should fix the crashing issues. If the game still crashes despite this, please report and don't forget to post your system specs.

Thank you again!

robin2

I think you should add some sort of saving when you quit the game.

I played 1 hour, leveled up, quit because of dinner, and now I have to restart the mission but keeping the level I got. This happened already 3 times: if it goes on, I'll end grinding up levels, because I'm forced to replay missions while my character progress in saved. It's not possible to always finish a long mission just in time before quitting.

I (still) don't know if there is a point behind this (maybe plot related?), but a single save slot, that exclusively stores your data (for your profile) in case you have to quit before the mission accomplishment, may be a good idea.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Man, this game is so fucking weird. I wish it were a little more grounded in reality so I had something to relate to, but the setting/lore is just a bit too out there for my personal tastes. The translation is kind of, well, bad, in some spots, too.

With that said, the actual running around and shooting things part is quite a bit of fun. 88 minutes in according to Steam and I still have the desire to go back and play more.

I still feel like I have no idea how I should be allocating stats or what I should be saving up Brouzofts, or whatever the money is, to buy.

1stStrike

Banned
robin2 said:
I think you should add some sort of saving when you quit the game.

I played 1 hour, leveled up, quit because of dinner, and now I have to restart the mission but keeping the level I got. This happened already 3 times: if it goes on, I'll end grinding up levels, because I'm forced to replay missions while my character progress in saved. It's not possible to always finish a long mission just in time before quitting.

I (still) don't know if there is a point behind this (maybe plot related?), but a single save slot, that exclusively stores your data (for your profile) in case you have to quit before the mission accomplishment, may be a good idea.

+1. At least save our progress to our current location when we quit the game. It's not going to ruin the hardcore factor to be able to save your progress. That's what's keeping me from wanting to play the game any further right now.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
1stStrike said:
+1. At least save our progress to our current location when we quit the game. It's not going to ruin the hardcore factor to be able to save your progress. That's what's keeping me from wanting to play the game any further right now.

+2

As I play the game it gets better and better but save system is needed badly.

kai3345 said:
what the fuck is going on in those screens

I'll add new screens when I progress further.

robin2

subversus said:
+2

As I play the game it gets better and better but save system is needed badly.

I'll add new screens when I progress further.

Yeah. I just took 3 hours completing a mission, and gained 3 levels in the process. Fortunately I played till what should have been the mission end, so my game should have been saved.
I say "should" because I can't tell tell if the game actually saves or not, so I actually quit without knowing for sure if I got my campaign progress saved!
I think this really needs to be addressed. Also, the complexity of missions will likely increase, so the time needed to complete them (and I also like to explore every corner of the map) will too...

(It's just me or enemies increase and get and stronger, the more you level up?).

robin2

Edit: Ok, it doesn't seem to be a bug, at increased difficulty is allows you to use only one portion of your health.

Twinduct

God I'm in love with this game, 7 Hours already.
Quick update on suggestions:

- Add some more info (mainly for functions). But don't you dare put in some 'holding hand' mechanic for missions and etc.

- I wanted to say ' For the love of God, add a map inside the temple HQ ', But I already know the layout. So might be a good idea for newbies.

- When viewing the hacking menu, perhaps have a way to see what direction the entity from the player is.

And some bugs I found:

- When hacking, if the entry list updates, the 'target' loses signal. So for example, when hacking a sentry that is just beneath 'me' in the list of entries and another entry comes closer (thus jumping up in the list of entries) you lose signal with the 'sentry' entry. This became amazingly annoying whilst trying to hack when there is a fight close by.
(Occurred during the objective mode for New Eden (aka New Eden+))

- Pressing 'B' (Or any other menu button) when viewing the 'death' screen (the screen that tells you how many resurrects you have) the player gets revitalized immediately. I'm talking about BAM! get shot/ stabbed screen pops up, press b and you're back in the fight.
(Don't know if this is a feature/ hack since there seems to be a timeout before the user revitalize naturally)
(All places)

- When hacking a soldier, when they are busy fighting someone other than the PC, they become zombies. They just follow you around but don't engage any enemies. Even when you set them to 'hunt' mode.
(Occurred during the objective mode for New Eden (aka New Eden+))
(Specifically in my case it was Jian units)

Having said that, well fucking done on the game guys. I'm honestly enjoying my tits off of this. It might the nostalgic vibe of how games use to be or the complete alien setting/ art or just the tight gunplay.

But this is honestly my sleeper hit of this year so far! Can't wait to try this out in MP

abunai

so, i cannot seem to select weapons with anything else than mwheel up/down, is this a bug? rebinding stuff in options or binding keys to slot(x) in console doesn't work. It's a little annoying to try and get my healthkit out quickly during a fight only to overscroll and end up with my sword.

That's my main complaint with the game though, next to that would be the save issue that others have mentioned.

The game is super fun, and there is so much to do. Totally worth the money. I love being overwhelmed by choice. Was super funny when playing co-op we found we could heal the critters that walk around the level. The art is great, but the level design doesnt reach more than big-box-with-smoke at times, which a bit jarring but understandable. Definitely ambitious.

Twinduct

abunai said:
so, i cannot seem to select weapons with anything else than mwheel up/down, is this a bug? rebinding stuff in options or binding keys to slot(x) in console doesn't work. It's a little annoying to try and get my healthkit out quickly during a fight only to overscroll and end up with my sword.

That's my main complaint with the game though, next to that would be the save issue that others have mentioned.

The game is super fun, and there is so much to do. Totally worth the money. I love being overwhelmed by choice. Was super funny when playing co-op we found we could heal the critters that walk around the level. The art is great, but the level design doesnt reach more than big-box-with-smoke at times, which a bit jarring but understandable. Definitely ambitious.

skacky said:
This weapon linking issue is something we'll be working on for the next patch.

Yep Known bug, getting worked on =)

Max

I am not Max
For the dev thats been posting

Bug: After equipping a minigun and tonnes of minigun ammo the message had popped up saying you can't exceed 95% weight malus, I think I pressed B to exit the armory screen with 96% malus, since then while playing I wasn't able to reset my inventory in the armory screen or remove the minigun or any of the ammo, and the same for opening the inventory screen

Probably more of a glitch that most people won't recreate but thought I'd mention it.

skacky

Neo Member
Hello again,
Thanks for all these reports, they are incredibly helpful. I'm glad you seem to enjoy the game!

Keasar

How does weapon groups work? I would really like to figure that out so I can use the Number keys instead of having to scroll through all my weapons with the mouse wheel.

Max

I am not Max
Impressions after 7 hours of play time after finishing the second mission, and some co-op.

- Gunplay feels brutal and very HL2-ish, my main character has a very high accuracy so the damage output from guns is super high and very satisfying. The weapons available are your typical fare, semi-auto and auto assault rifles, smgs, shotguns, sniper rifles, even miniguns and each leave a different style of play for each preference.

- Mission structure and waypointing. Most objectives leave you with a waypoint and are very straightforward.The main NPC's give you your main mission but there are other NPC's scattered around the huge levels that offer side-quests for those who go looking.

- I'm really loving the setting. There are vibes of Ghost in the Shell, Firefly, and Fallout most predominantly which I adore. (One section in the first mission is directly modelled after the GitS movie's finale.) This game is a complete love-letter to its influences.

- Different dialogue paths have different mission objectives, albeit not drastic there are options for you to choose from to keep things different.

- Handling stats is straight forward, descriptions for all of them let you choose exactly how you want to shape your character. There is a research menu that lets you spend money on researching things other scientists discover, which grants you stat bonuses. Pretty neat.

- I've not played the co-op extensively but having your character transferable between SP and MP is great. A friend of mine said he got tonnes of money through co-op missions or something.

- Enemies are a joy to combat (see gunplay) although AI seems as though they've always got their eyes on you (probably a Source limitation). The assorted aliens during mission 2 are just awesome.

- No impressions on any of the spells, all I've used so far is the active camo.

Was pretty on-the-fence about this game for the first half hour or so but I'm feeling pretty satisfied with what I've played so far. Do not let the indieness source-mod look derive you from this experience.

PsychoMantis

Neo Member
Has anyone tried a stealth build? I am really interested in this game, but what some people have said about stealth has put me off it.

Salsa

Max said:
Do not let the indieness source-mod look derive you from this experience.

this is half of what lures me in man

lol

indie/mod that looks great >>>> half-assed AAA console port

Damn, game really is oldskool. subversus, come at me bro, lets play some coop - it's kinda difficult to hack without someone covering my ass.

Tain

I'm kinda shocked that this doesn't have quicksave/quickload anywhere. That's pretty out there, especially when the functionality is expected and in the engine. I like that.

To make sure I understand: you have sometimes long-ass missions and you get XP as you play through them. If you quit or die, you have to restart the mission, yet your XP is always saved?

sounds like PSO or something.

In cases like this, where the missions get long yet you want to maintain a sense of tension, a self-deleting "suspend" save is always the best solution.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Tain said:
I'm kinda shocked that this doesn't have quicksave/quickload anywhere. That's pretty out there, especially when the functionality is expected and in the engine. I like that.

To make sure I understand: you have sometimes long-ass missions and you get XP as you play through them. If you quit or die, you have to restart the mission, yet your XP is always saved?

sounds like PSO or something.

In cases like this, where the missions get long yet you want to maintain a sense of tension, a self-deleting "suspend" save is always the best solution.
I don't think I will mind that system.

Herla

robin2 said:
How did you get it? I don't know what to do to to acquire it.

There are shops in the main hub, one sells augs and the other spells.
The camo is sold by the Medic guy if I recall correctly... (I still have to get used to the names in this game lol)

abunai

robin2 said:
How did you get it? I don't know what to do to to acquire it.

Go to the medical bay in the Temple HQ, it's the second option down from the merchant. It is something like 16,000 brodollars and you need a particular amount of stats for it to work with your cyberbrain but I can't remember what they were. It wasn't too high so you should be okay to just buy it.

Then bind it to a key in options, good to go.

subversus

just had 3 hours coop session. Also played with a dev. Will post impressions later but coop is the way to go!

also I figured out the save system. It saves after every main objective. You have limited number of lives. It's quite tolerable, but there should be a clear checkpoint indication.

subversus

527B9023F0AD28DE2CD67E17BC44F2CF48A5B32C

subversus

Reuenthal said:
So.. can this thing compare with the king(Deus EX)? At all? Just for the genre and because this preview sounds positve on it, I am pretty interested on this.

too indie for that and more unforgiving + some mechanics are too obscure

It's like Deus Ex + fast paced System Shock 2 with solid shooting minus horror.

Reuenthal

Banned
subversus said:
too indie for that and more unforgiving + some mechanics are too obscure

It's like Deus Ex + fast paced System Shock 2 with solid shooting minus horror.

I haven't played System Shock 2 but it has a great fame. I guess its production values aren't up to par but it will still be what I am expecting and want more or less based on your description. Being like Deus ex is big praise.

Edit: To be fair and honest, with an actual Deux Ex game coming out in a few days, I am looking forward to that first, and this is for later. I do have an eye on this too though.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Seriously wish there was a demo, I want to try this game pretty badly.

subversus

Reuenthal said:
I haven't played System Shock 2 but it has a great fame. I guess its production values aren't up to par but it will still be what I am expecting and want more or less based on your description. Being like Deus ex is big praise.

no, production values are ok (except translations, ugh).

It's more about obscure mechanics.

For example I got shot and I'm bleeding. There is nothing on the screen that says how I should stop that. I need to watch through tutorials to know that and they're pretty brief.

So after I started bleeding I need to quickly maintain myself. To do this I need maintain option to be equipped in my quick menu or to do this through the separate menu. And if you don't know this you're fucked. I survived only because my coop partner told me how to stop bleeding. At least some button prompts would be appreciated.

There should be an always accessible training module or something like this. Deus Ex did that part right.

Reuenthal

Banned
subversus said:
no, production values are ok (except translations, ugh).

It's more about obscure mechanics.

For example I got shot and I'm bleeding. There is nothing on the screen that says how I should stop that. I need to watch through tutorials to know that and they're pretty brief.

So after I started bleeding I need to quickly maintain myself. To do this I need maintain option to be equipped in my quick menu or to do this through the separate menu. And if you don't know this you're fucked. I survived only because my coop partner told me how to stop bleeding. At least some button prompts would be appreciated.

There should be an always accessible training module or something like this. Deus Ex did that part right.

I guess waiting once more people have played it and there are some FAQS and internet tutorials out might help with this one. Still, being like Deus EX is sufficient to give it a try at one point.

subversus

Reuenthal said:
I guess waiting once more people have played it and there are some FAQS and internet tutorials out might help with this one. Still, being like Deus EX is sufficient to give it a try at one point.

Do it in coop then.

I've spent the last two days convincing my friends to buy this with me for the co-op, but now that they've finally agreed, they're enjoying it without me because the framerate is rendering this unplayable—even with all of the video options set to the lowest possible option it's in single digits. My system is admittedly a few years dated, but its specs are equal to or greater than even the recommended specifications listed by the developer and has recently handled New Vegas and the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series without any hiccups.

Processor: Intel core 2 duo 2.4GHz
Memory: 2 GB
Graphics: NVidia 7800

I completely understand that my desktop setup here is awful, and I never expect anything to run well, but to underperform to this degree this just seems a bit odd. Is something wrong here, or is this just the sort of performance I should expect due to my outdated hardware? Anyone else having any such issues?

skacky

Neo Member
Hello,
There are currently memory leaks due to models precaching under 32 bits system. You can try to turn Ultra Violence off in the Options menu and see if the game runs better.

We are going to fix this issue in the upcoming patch.

Thank you for your support, and we apologize for any inconvenience.

subversus

ok, did one single mission and it's awesome.

it's totally Deus Ex type of game cranked to 10.

if you spend a weekend learning it then you'll enjoy it immensely. But there are flaws and I'll write about them in a separate post.

also most powers are mappable in options menu.

Wow, wow, wow. This game came out of nowhere and is EXCELLENT so far. I'm playing it pretty shooter like so far with Katana and Assault Rifle and it is sooo good.
Here are some Screenshots I took from the first real mission:
BF0F25F7DC8083F7D6AC9498E899BE6A8550E0E0

A826E57CA955E740E84E60257A1D5D237CD43415

951461BF82FDA40EF6A3FBF1312416E2C1BCEDE3

The style and atmosphere in this game is phenomenal.

Top Bottom