• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F A K E G A F T E N

Status
Not open for further replies.
so I talked with this woman on the phone about her shared apartment and she told me about all these additional costs and today I just texted her that I'm sorry but I simply cannot afford it.
note: berlin housing market is crazy, I bet she could find 10 new possible renters within seconds.

but now she still talks to me trying to make me offers and stuff...like why would she do this? I dont know her

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
The shtick gets old, especially when you claimed to have been terrible to a guy who was amazing to you and exhibited all of the behavior you project onto and criticize in men nearly daily.
Oh no, I'm dumb too.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
so I talked with this woman on the phone about her shared apartment and she told me about all these additional costs and today I just texted her that I'm sorry but I simply cannot afford it.
note: berlin housing market is crazy, I bet she could find 10 new possible renters withing seconds.

but now she still talks to me trying to make me offers and stuff...like why would she do this? I dont know her
It is a big ass city, 3.7 million people (and half more in metropolitan area).

As for lady, looks like she wants to find a renter asap

I am a bit curious, how much is a monthly price for shared apartment in Berlin area?

Misha

Banned
at this point I'm concerned that she's crazy or something. like I downright said "I can't pay much, you may find someone better suited" and she still wants me lol. it doesn't make any sense
Maybe she thinks you'd be a good tenant? Some of the college students that my cousin deals with are a headache

Also I think this time of year is a bit slow and it's nice to not have to worry about looking for renters around christmas

It is a big ass city, 3.7 million people (and half more in metropolitan area).

As for lady, looks like she wants to find a renter asap

I am a bit curious, how much is a monthly price for shared apartment in Berlin area?
yeah she said she just wants someone quickly to get it over with. but I actually think the quickest way would be to just pick someone that would pay better.

the room itself is 450 which is also my limit. (not counting the additional cost she told me about at first)
Maybe she thinks you'd be a good tenant? Some of the college students that my cousin deals with are a headache

Also I think this time of year is a bit slow and it's nice to not have to worry about looking for renters around christmas
but why? we just talked a couple of minutes, she doesn't know me....
hm
not sure if I should take it, I already kinda had a place lined up until february

Misha

Banned
yeah she said she just wants someone quickly to get it over with. but I actually think the quickest way would be to just pick someone that would pay better.

the room itself is 450 which is also my limit. (not counting the additional cost she told me about at first)

but why? we just talked a couple of minutes, she doesn't know me....
hm
not sure if I should take it, I already kinda had a place lined up until february
Idk. One guy who was showing me an apartment tried to dump it off on me then had it rented next week. People salespeople are weird

DrM

Redmond's Baby

It is quite common for landlords to up the price during winter months due to lower temperatures and bigger expenses for heating etc.

It is also quite possible that she had some bad experience with renters before and she found appropriate candidate in you.

Idk. One guy who was showing me an apartment tried to dump it off on me then had it rented next week. People salespeople are weird

It is quite common for landlords to up the price during winter months due to lower temperatures and bigger expenses for heating etc.

It is also quite possible that she had some bad experience with renters before and she found appropriate candidate in you.

she's not a landlady or salesperson, she's just living in the shared apartment. the additional costs were for furniture and stuff..I guess? I didn't really understand it tbh.

I'm still feeling a bit weird about living with strangers in general (there's also some dude living there) buttttt she also has a cute dog.

Jobbs

Banned
why must there be sides at all?

The experience of being a woman is so different from being a man. For example, if you just sort of.. exist in the world as a woman, especially a young woman, you can't generally just go places and be invisible like you or I typically can. There's a constant feeling of being watched -- you might be followed, sometimes approached. Maybe commented on or propositioned. It's hard not to feel like there's sides when you face that kind of opposition.

I'm not claiming women are all perfect or all men participate in this sort of bad behavior.. But when women vent about guys being obnoxious or dumb or worse I tend to be sympathetic to that. I've seen how random men have acted around my gf with mine own eyes.

Misha

Banned
she's not a landlady or salesperson, she's just living in the shared apartment. the additional costs were for furniture and stuff..I guess? I didn't really understand it tbh.

I'm still feeling a bit weird about living with strangers in general (there's also some dude living there) buttttt she also has a cute dog.
Probably has had some bad experiences trying to find someone then and jumped at the first normal seeming person. Either that or she as you said isn't a salesperson and therefore doesn't want to spent a lot of time on sales

DrM

Redmond's Baby

Oh, I thought that you were talking to landlord or salesperson. :)
Well, that lady thinks that you would be an appropriate appmate

Yeah, it is hard to go and live with complete strangers (I had the same doubts when going to college, when I shared apartment with 4 complete strangers), but it is not bad. It depends on people that you are living with.

FloatOn

The experience of being a woman is so different from being a man. For example, if you just sort of.. exist in the world as a woman, especially a young woman, you can't generally just go places and be invisible like you or I typically can. There's a constant feeling of being watched -- you might be followed, sometimes approached. Maybe commented on or propositioned. It's hard not to feel like there's sides when you face that kind of opposition.

I'm not claiming women are all perfect or all men participate in this sort of bad behavior.. But when women vent about guys being obnoxious or dumb or worse I tend to be sympathetic to that. I've seen how random men have acted around my gf with mine own eyes.

yeah I see all that as well. I guess I'm just wondering how it got to this point in the first place.

and more to the point, what is there to do about it other than just being sympathetic?

AcridMeat

Banned
Re: trabbo, she probably just liked you and think you'd be a great fit in the space. If she's cutting the price you'd pay then it may still be worth it. It's not weird for negotiations to take place, especially if they like you.
edit 2: I just saw she isn't the landlord. Still think she prob just got a nice vibe from talking to you. You can just have a final say of no and stop responding, they'll definitely find someone.
why must there be sides at all?
Because everything society does is to split the two apart/differentiate.

It's super outdated but it's going to take forever to slowly change. Like marriage.

Not to mention we're fucking idiots.

Jobbs

Banned
yeah I see all that as well. I guess I'm just wondering how it got to this point in the first place.

and more to the point, what is there to do about it other than just being sympathetic?

Being sympathetic probably has to be enough. I can't control what other people do. In the case of my gf there's sort of an irrational macho desire to protect her and intervene, but even if I could be with her all the time (I can't, she has to go to school or wherever else and have her own life) it wouldn't really do any good and in most cases isn't something she'd be likely to want me to do.

My twenty-two year old cousin is planning to propose to his girlfriend next Saturday. Meanwhile I'm just like... I don't need to be married. It's cool. I don't feel the need to have a government issued license to prove my love to her.

My twenty-two year old cousin is planning to propose to his girlfriend next Saturday. Meanwhile I'm just like... I don't need to be married. It's cool. I don't feel the need to have a government issued license to prove my love to her.

that's what Chandler said and then...
friends_724_joey_marries_monica_chandler.jpg

FloatOn

I wish I had your perspective when I was your age. I was programmed into thinking that the "right" thing to do was to be married by 25 and to own a house by 30 and have kids shortly thereafter. I did 2/3 of that but clearly I wasn't emotionally mature enough to handle what is supposed to be a lifelong commitment at that young of an age.

I'm still kind of undecided on whether or not humans are even wired for lifelong monogamy.

Misha

Banned
I'm at the point of actively rebelling against the concept out of spite 😎

I'm at the point of actively rebelling against the concept out of spite 😎
How are you rebelling right now?

I wish I had your perspective when I was your age. I was programmed into thinking that the "right" thing to do was to be married by 25 and to own a house by 30 and have kids shortly thereafter. I did 2/3 of that but clearly I wasn't emotionally mature enough to handle what is supposed to be a lifelong commitment at that young of an age.

I'm still kind of undecided on whether or not humans are even wired for lifelong monogamy.
Humans aren't wired to live this long nor with this many different people. Most of our psychology developed in people who lived in tribes of about 150 people and about half as long as we live now. Pair bonding is essential to the human experience (generally speaking) but monogamy was an invention to keep the alpha male from dominating a tribe.

that's what Chandler said and then...
friends_724_joey_marries_monica_chandler.jpg
It's not impossible. There may come a day when it feels like the right thing, but it is not this day.

Foxix Von

Ugh yeah. No marriage for me any time soon. (foreveralone)

Also I looked at two apartments yesterday... ugh. Such a waste of time. Hopefully the viewing for a unit on saturday is better. From my talks with the owner over the phone we seem to get along well just gotta hope they give me preference :I It's a kind of basement unit right next to my job. Which considering where I work is impossible to find. 950 a month but that seems to include all utilities and internet. Maybe I can chip in some extra cash for some extra bandwidth.

Jobbs

Banned
I'd like to be married. It's hard to rationalize --- A government issued license isn't required to validate a relationship and, furthermore, it can be hard to defend the idea of marriage on an intellectual basis.

...But when you feel strongly about someone, there's a desire to take things to the end of the line -- To have something on the line. Some stakes. If something is at stake it raises the level of commitment which, by nature and by design, brings you closer together. You're in something together. This also means you have some external pressure to solve and work through problems rather than just break up at the drop of a hat, which, again, results in a stronger bond.

I'm fully aware that this can go very wrong and often does, but there's definitely something romantic about it and it's an experience I'd like to have before the end of all things.

Halcyon

Bunch of loveless unmarried hearhens. THE LOT OF YA.

Im bringing home craft beers and chocolates to my wife because it is her birthday month for being an amazing mom.

Tomorrow I'm giving her a plant.

I'm just trying to get my dick sucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom