• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F A K E G A F T E N

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought doom and Witcher 3 complete

I rented doom for a weekend when it came out and really loved the campaign. Got about halfway through it before returning. If a fun 10 hour campaign is worth $20 to you then go for it

Clydefrog

Super fighting robot
uKNdL6L.jpg

I hope he isn't ticklish

Edit: Floato, Doom is reaaaallllyyy good. Buy it. I hope you have a good computer because it looks great on max settings.

Xiao Hu

I hope Capcom manages to get a good writer if they ever decide to make another Dragon's Dogma. They know how to do good gameplay but the story telling often lags behind. Also try to make the world more immersive, open world games without immersion are usually copyrighted by Ubisoft :p

I tried to play dragons dogma, I really did. But the world was so uninteresting and weird it couldn't hold my attention. I did like the game play though

FUME5

Dragons Dogma is a bit of a slow burn, I'd say it's worth the time investment but I can understand being turned off by it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
that new doom game is like 20 dollars

is it worth it

you guys are the trusted experts

Very much so as long as you know what you're getting in to. The story is thin but humorously self aware of the ludicrousness of the premise, exceedingly self indulgent in the rough, gruff, blood spilling carnage that is DOOM. Mechanically and stylistically it's coherently focused on these themes, emphasizing minimalism as a vessel for tight, satisfying game systems. It is very much a shoot-the-guy game, where enjoyment comes from mastering accuracy, mobility, gunplay, and survival throughout intense encounters (often in confined zones). The stuff I was worried about, like the QTE kills, are surprisingly rewarding as they're built around the 'release' concept common in character action games like Bayonetta, where skill based play opens opponents up to a brief window of insta-kill for you to take a half-second breather and deal tremendous damage with immediate reward.

It is much longer than I expected and, as a result, does run the risk of repetition. But I feel most people who tap out before the finish do so not out of boredom and frustration but more that they've had their fill and enjoyed their time.

As long as you know what you're getting into, a game which focuses heavily on a tight, enjoyable combat system almost exclusively to hold the game, you should enjoy it plenty. $20 is an absolute steal for both quality and quantity of campaign.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
This Uniqlo fitting room looks like a MoMa installation.
I shamelessly try stuff on that ima order online because our state tax is obscene

Edit: shamefully big feet ;__;

Jobbs

Banned
Doom oddly has the best characterization of any FPS I can think of. Normally I have trouble making any kind of connection with the character in games from this perspective, and usually it even causes an odd dissonance as I don't understand or like the person whose eyes I'm seeing through. This is part of the reason I dislike FPS in general. Doom guy, though? We understood eachother very well.

FUME5

Doom oddly has the best characterization of any FPS I can think of. Normally I have trouble making any kind of connection with the character in games from this perspective, and usually it even causes an odd dissonance as I don't understand or like the person whose eyes I'm seeing through. This is part of the reason I dislike FPS in general. Doom guy, though? We understood eachother very well.

My only real complaint is that the final boss is a bit of a letdown.

Hoping they announce some single player content soon, having all the DLC be for the underwhelming multiplayer was definitely a mistake.

Doom oddly has the best characterization of any FPS I can think of. Normally I have trouble making any kind of connection with the character in games from this perspective, and usually it even causes an odd dissonance as I don't understand or like the person whose eyes I'm seeing through. This is part of the reason I dislike FPS in general. Doom guy, though? We understood each other very well.

Doom marine has better characterization then fucking Kratos

Jobbs

Banned
My only real complaint is that the final boss is a bit of a letdown.

Hoping they announce some single player content soon, having all the DLC be for the underwhelming multiplayer was definitely a mistake.

The early scene where "video game voice guy who tells you what to do next" trope is subverted by Doom guy is one of the most memorable gaming moments of the generation.

I'm checking out Rise of Tomb Raider on PS4 Pro. I can't fully appreciate 4K since it's being downsampled to my 1080p display (it does make it look a bit sharper, though, nonetheless) but the high framerate option just improves the experience so much vs. the other two choices. It's such a shame most Pro support titles probably won't offer this option.

FUME5

The early scene where "video game voice guy who tells you what to do next" trope is subverted by Doom guy is one of the most memorable gaming moments of the generation.

"Shut your noise hole, I'm here to wreck shit"

The whole intro was very well done.

Timu

but the high framerate option just improves the experience so much vs. the other two choices. It's such a shame most Pro support titles probably won't offer this option.
That would be odd since one of the main reasons to go with the Pro is better/higher framerate and would be a strange omission for it to not happen with most Pro supported games, then again devs love to focus on graphics more so who knows.

Timu

Console devs notoriously disregard framerate. I don't think we'll see this option much. Would love to be wrong.
Yeah, that's true. I still like how often console shooters are 60FPS now like Battlefield, TitanFall, Killzone(MP), Uncharted(MP), Doom, Star War Battlefront, Overwatch, etc., so maybe select genres will benefit it more.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
I like my games to be at a steady 24fps, game developers don't understand what the common man wants.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Me: I am very low on cash. I should not spend more money

Black Friday sales: All the things are on sale, not just on Steam but also PS4

Me: I will be strong

Also me: I just spent seventy thousand dollars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom