• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2010 |OT| The 12th Annual Hermann Tilke Championship

TylerD

isamu said:
To be honest I am a bit surprised with those results, given your setup. The 4850 is still a fantastic card and the e8500 is still a great processor. I should know....I had the same specs on my desktop. You should be hitting close to a rock solid 60fps. My desktop is currently in RMA repair but I will be upgrading and getting it back with an Intel Core i7 950 and an ATI 5870. I'm hoping to be able to maintain a rock solid 100fps with everything maxed out when I play the game on that new rig.

Hmm, what do you think I should do to try to get a better framerate? I have the latest drivers for everything. This game is considerably more hardware intensive than dirt 2 where i was avg 37 fps running the benchmark at 1680x1050, 8xmsaa, max details. Its a 512 mb hd4850 if that matters.

lastplayed said:
Does the game feature the Singapore night race? If so has anyone tried it yet? :D

Yes, it looks great. Singapore is such a cool race in RL. The heli shots with the track all lit up are awesome.

TylerD said:
Yes, it looks great. Singapore is such a cool race in RL. The heli shots with the track all lit up are awesome.

Awesome, can't wait. Picking it up tomorrow when it's released here in NZ.

TylerD

Foliorum Viridum said:
Any chance of some shots of Singapore at night, Tyler?

This is going to be a long 24 hours... :lol

I took some screens with fraps as bmps and uploaded them to photobucket... sorry they aren't bigger.

F1_2010_game2010-09-2204-43-42-54.jpg

F1_2010_game2010-09-2204-43-45-02.jpg

F1_2010_game2010-09-2204-44-25-70.jpg

F1_2010_game2010-09-2204-46-18-47.jpg

F1_2010_game2010-09-2204-48-57-19.jpg

F1_2010_game2010-09-2204-47-59-69.jpg

I had some damage in the last pic. Time for bed, work in less than 7 hrs.

Dragnet

Goddamit, Royal Fail have failed me again, despite having next day delivery it looks like the game won't arrive today. Using couriers from now on, 3rd time this has happened in the past few weeks.

1-D_FTW

lastplayed said:
Does the game feature the Singapore night race? If so has anyone tried it yet? :D

I've tried it. Never played the track before. And I had it raining hard and no aides. It was not a pretty sight. I don't know how many times I spun the car out. And one (two?) turn I missed every lap. It's a beautiful track though. That's the map where the lighting really lights up the rain.

isamu said:
To be honest I am a bit surprised with those results, given your setup. The 4850 is still a fantastic card and the e8500 is still a great processor. I should know....I had the same specs on my desktop. You should be hitting close to a rock solid 60fps. My desktop is currently in RMA repair but I will be upgrading and getting it back with an Intel Core i7 950 and an ATI 5870. I'm hoping to be able to maintain a rock solid 100fps with everything maxed out when I play the game on that new rig.

I don't know. IMO 2010 is the year where dual core finally showed its age. I'm not sure that's not exactly what he should be getting.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Dragnet said:
Goddamit, Royal Fail have failed me again, despite having next day delivery it looks like the game won't arrive today. Using couriers from now on, 3rd time this has happened in the past few weeks.
Yep, "First Class" delivery means "Sometime within the next week" it seems.

I'm paying extra next time also.

The only place I rely on for next day delivery is Amazon (although I'm a Prime member). They're generally pretty good. Is F1 2010 being released earlier elsewhere? Hopefully the game will unlock for me (Steam) Friday at 00:01.

ACH1LL3US

isamu said:

Hey Isamu!

I have the following system:
i7 980x @ 4.5ghz
6gb DDR3 @ 2000mhz
gtx480 @ 900mhz

and I doubt at 1080p with 4AA and 16 AF with max details I will even get a constant 60fps. Have you tried it on your system yet? If you get that kind of fps with those settings then I am in the clear ;)

Sent

Diablohead said:
um you sure? games for windows live has allowed silver to play online for free since a few years ago now, why would F1 suddenly change that?

Well Im on silver and can't play online either so I am assuming gold? Maybe my account is screwed up? Anyone else on silver playing online?

GuessWho

Sent said:
Well Im on silver and can't play online either so I am assuming gold? Maybe my account is screwed up? Anyone else on silver playing online?

yeah i'm on silver, and playing online (PC). It would be ridiculous if you couldn't.

brotkasten said:
I played some F1:CE today and I think it looks really dated

crazy talk. the game is in the top 10 best looking games this gen and it came out in 2006. :lol

still has the most realistic looking f1 cars in any game

rc1r9x.jpg

studio liverpool did an incredible job.

1-D_FTW

I get banned for comparing identical games in a Games Comparison Thread about said game and you keep harping on this? Let it go. Maybe the cars do look better. True or not, it's clearly where the polygon budget was spent. The tracks/cars/everything are gorgeous in this game. On a PC with everything cranked, it's the best looking F1 game ever made. By a wide margin. Let it go. It's a visual feast that can't be matched.

NHale

One question to the users complaining about Royal Mail. Did you order from the "banned site"? I ordered there and I just received a message from my wife saying I have my game in the mail while people from the UK are saying in the Codemasters forum that they didn't receive the game. Weird.

Maybe that was because I've preorder the game in March and paid for it a couple of weeks ago, but I only used standard service (Royal Mail - Air Mail)...

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Omiee said:
how do i get it out of windowed mode its fucking annoying that it starts up in windowed mode
alt-enter?
or in graphics settings somewhere. I believe you can access the graphical settings in the cave which is accessible after defeating the pirate using the rope and the anchor that you find in the control setup menu.

mclaren777

TylerD said:
I dislike driving at Singapore very, very much. In my opinion it's the worst of the current F1 tracks.

TylerD said:
I took some screens with fraps as bmps and uploaded them to photobucket... sorry they aren't bigger.

F1_2010_game2010-09-2204-43-42-54.jpg

F1_2010_game2010-09-2204-43-45-02.jpg

F1_2010_game2010-09-2204-44-25-70.jpg

F1_2010_game2010-09-2204-46-18-47.jpg

F1_2010_game2010-09-2204-48-57-19.jpg

F1_2010_game2010-09-2204-47-59-69.jpg

I had some damage in the last pic. Time for bed, work in less than 7 hrs.
Thanks, it looks really nice.

Abload.de is the best image host, by the way. Won't resize pictures or take away any quality. :)

jlevel13

Sent said:

On PC online is free (silver is fine), but on the 360 you need gold.

Wax Free Vanilla said:
crazy talk. the game is in the top 10 best looking games this gen and it came out in 2006. :lol

still has the most realistic looking f1 cars in any game

rc1r9x.jpg

studio liverpool did an incredible job.
Problem with the codemasters game is that the car's dont have a realistic lighting effect, how can they go from great looking rally cars to matte looking plastic F1 cars? the only time the codemasters lighting looks great is in the rain, the daytime stuff looks "dry" and washed out like someone is using a grey tinted palette, then smeared some bloom.

Thank god pc games can be modified.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Sent said:
I did a while back. MP is working for me now. Didn't work at all yesterday, crisis averted. MP is fun as hell :D
Good to hear. If you let a gold account lapse by having it charge a credit card that expired then it will apparently lock you out of playing online on that account on PC as well.

Leunam

I did two race weekends last night (Bahrain and Melbourne) and it was a lot of fun. Game runs well on my computer too, to my surprise (Q6600, 9800 GT, 4 GB RAM), all settings on high.

I know the tracks from watching the races, but racing them yourself is a whole other beast. I'm still getting used to using a wheel, but aside from that, I'm getting the hang of it. Finding the right racing line and blazing around corners after the initial 'getting to know you' laps is so incredibly satisfying. Can't think of the last time I got a rush from a game like that (probably in SSF4).

Dilly

Banned
mclaren777 said:
I dislike driving at Singapore very, very much. In my opinion it's the worst of the current F1 tracks.

I started to like it, still dislike Abu Dhabi and Valencia though.

fresquito

So how's the simulation compared to, say, LFS? I'm interested in the game, but I'm doubtful it will be my cup of tea. I like F1, I like simulators, but I don't like Codemasters' mainstream way. Are races in max dificulty anything close to the real thing?

StuKen

fresquito said:
So how's the simulation compared to, say, LFS? I'm interested in the game, but I'm doubtful it will be my cup of tea. I like F1, I like simulators, but I don't like Codemasters' mainstream way. Are races in max dificulty anything close to the real thing?

Centre point pivot nonsense as usual. Not even close to lfs or any other simulator.

1-D_FTW

fresquito said:

I love the game, but it's not going to change any opinions IMO. If you're someone who's expecting massive budget racing games to be a hardcore racing sim that's going for 100 authenticity, you're not going to like it. Most people wouldn't enjoy a game where you struggled to even accelerate off the starting line and with these budgets, they're targeting where they need to.

fresquito

StuKen said:
Centre point pivot nonsense as usual. Not even close to lfs or any other simulator.
Thanks. Sad to know.

1-D_FTW said:
I love the game, but it's not going to change any opinions IMO. If you're someone who's expecting massive budget racing games to be a hardcore racing sim that's going for 100 authenticity, you're not going to like it. Most people wouldn't enjoy a game where you struggled to even accelerate off the starting line and with these budgets, they're targeting where they need to.
I understand your point, but that's why options and assists are included. My question was more in line with "how good of a simulator can it be?". What's the point of adding assists and what not, if after you take them off, it still feels arcadey or just unfarily unrealistic? Of course, I'm no Alonso or Webber and I can't drive a F1, but I want a believable game, where simulation allows me to understand what's going on. Not some shitty physics model where I need to spend a lot of time to understand what's going on.

And I want harder dificulty settings to showcase what a F1 race can be. Not just a lot of overtakings in the first lap and then 60 laps of driving alone.

moojito

fresquito said:
Thanks. Sad to know.

I understand your point, but that's why options and assists are included. My question was more in line with "how good of a simulator can it be?". What's the point of adding assists and what not, if after you take them off, it still feels arcadey or just unfarily unrealistic? Of course, I'm no Alonso or Webber and I can't drive a F1, but I want a believable game, where simulation allows me to understand what's going on. Not some shitty physics model where I need to spend a lot of time to understand what's going on.

And I want harder dificulty settings to showcase what a F1 race can be. Not just a lot of overtakings in the first lap and then 60 laps of driving alone.

Some of the videos I've seen have had people driving excellent laps and not making a dent in cars in front, so the difficulty is certainly there as far as I can tell. I'd advise watching the vvvgamer videos on youtube, especially the one showing Brazil in the wet, and also look for the real life/game split screen videos. I sure don't notice a lot of difference in the handling!

Mihku

Man, the 2nd sector of Bahrain is beyond horrible. It's like a kart circuit with all those sharp blind and slow turns. Good thing they go back to the old layout next year.

Still don't have the optimal settings for my DFGT either. The basic ingame settings are very bad, you can't even make sharp turns. Turning the steering linearity way down helps a lot, but still doesn't feel spot on.

Animal

Banned
Mihku said:
Man, the 2nd sector of Bahrain is beyond horrible. It's like a kart circuit with all those sharp blind and slow turns. Good thing they go back to the old layout next year.

Still don't have the optimal settings for my DFGT either. The basic ingame settings are very bad, you can't even make sharp turns. Turning the steering linearity way down helps a lot, but still doesn't feel spot on.

I had zero issues with mine. I just changed the dead zone to 0%.

Animal

Banned
fresquito said:

Just to be clear to everyone: On expert setting, this game is very very real. I'm talking strictly in the way that the car you are driving behaves. I have yet to have a race in a top team to comment on the AI. The car behavior is spot on. No "arcady" feel to this.

Lucius86

Banned
Well I have come back from work and Argos with a DFGT - ready to rock and roll come sat morning (I'm going out Friday night, so no F1 2010 til then_

Leunam

Mihku said:
Man, the 2nd sector of Bahrain is beyond horrible. It's like a kart circuit with all those sharp blind and slow turns.

That's the sector that gave me the most trouble yesterday (out of both races). Awful sector and I always feel like I'm holding my breath when I'm driving through it.

Branson

Animal said:
Just to be clear to everyone: On expert setting, this game is very very real. I'm talking strictly in the way that the car you are driving behaves. I have yet to have a race in a top team to comment on the AI. The car behavior is spot on. No "arcady" feel to this.
It's a good balance. It's forgiving enough that you won't spin everytime you hammer the throttle out of the corner but you do have to be careful if you hit the corner wrong. Love the fact that you can get punctures and stuff. Had a holy shit moment when I blew a right rear coming up to speed out of a turn.

19Kilo

Mihku said:

Only got to do a lap or two last night, but the default steering rotation (900 deg.) doesn't get adjusted in-game, so it's going to be horrible. I set mine to 299 deg. in the windows device settings and it was much more responsive. I'm thinking the game was designed for 270 degrees max. I imagine the real max steering lock is probably a little over 360 degrees depending on the track (Monaco especially).

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Sent said:
First Class (USPS) means 3-7 days
Thankfully I am in the UK where Royal Mail First Class means next day, usually.

Well, as I said, usually :(

Top Bottom