• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2010 |OT| The 12th Annual Hermann Tilke Championship

Weip

Neo Member
Hi guys, I played the game on 360, but am I the only one who think the driving is not smooth? I have the feeling of driving with a keyboard. Looks like the game has been made for wheels, not controllers.

Maybe I'm wrong, but this is my first impression with the driving. It wasnt smooth at all. What do you think?

Sent

TheAzRim said:
ok whats up with this. I am in NA and can't find the game anywhere. Gamestop doesn't have it, Walmart or K Mart don't have it. *confused*

Im pretty sure there is no retail release? Amazon/Steam only kinda thing?

Weip said:
Hi guys, I played the game on 360, but am I the only one who think the driving is not smooth? I have the feeling of driving with a keyboard. Looks like the game has been made for wheels, not controllers.

Maybe I'm wrong, but this is my first impression with the driving. It wasnt smooth at all. What do you think?

I agree just messing around with it. You can't really change any settings for the controller from what I can tell which suckssss

AcridMeat

Banned
Alright, here's an updated list of those interested in the Championship + Team preferences.

1-D_FTW - HRT
Animal - McLaren, Red Bull, Mercedes
Foliorum Viridum - McLaren, Red Bull, Force India
AcridMeat - Renault, Sauber, Force India
TylerD - Force India, Williams, Mercedes
Leunam - Sauber, Toro Rosso, Mercedes
Frawdder - Red Bull, Renault, Ferrari
Stop It - McLaren, Force India, Virgin Racing
Lucius86 - Lotus, Ferrari, Williams
Valru - Force India, STR Ferrari, Virgin
jambo - Red Bull, McLaren, Renault
Dilly - Renault, Ferrari, Mercedes
Slamskank - TBD

I did the best I could picking out a team everyone had on their list. A bit difficult with all of the Red Bull/McLarens. If you are unhappy with your team let me know and maybe you can trade up.

As you can see, we have 13 people. If you are interested and are not on the list please let me know! I'd love to have as many people possible to make for an intense qualifying session and hopefully lead to a second championship.

TylerD said:
... good job on overtaking everyone! Now do it again if you can! /race engineer
Maybe the pit crew is making sure that you let your teammate pass. :lol

5yi6o9.jpg

Tyl3n0L87

Neo Member
I'd like to know how does it run on your guys PC? I currently have a E8400 @ 4GHz with 4GB of RAM & ATI 4870 512MB. I'll run the game at 1680x1050.

I'm still debating if I should get it on PC or Xbox 360? I have a logitech MOMO wheel on my PC but the confort of my couch and my 42 inches HDTV is appealing! :D

TylerD

Tyl3n0L87 said:
I'd like to know how does it run on your guys PC? I currently have a E8400 @ 4GHz with 4GB of RAM & ATI 4870 512MB. I'll run the game at 1680x1050.

I'm still debating if I should get it on PC or Xbox 360? I have a logitech MOMO wheel on my PC but the confort of my couch and my 42 inches HDTV is appealing! :D

I will post later how it runs on an E8500 @ 3.16, 4 GB, ATI 4850 at 1680x1050 and 720p. Just an hour (hopefully) before I can leave work.

Tyl3n0L87

Neo Member
TylerD said:
I will post later how it runs on an E8500 @ 3.16, 4 GB, ATI 4850 at 1680x1050 and 720p. Just an hour (hopefully) before I can leave work.

Thanks Tyler I'll keep an eye on this thread

Animal

Banned
Tyl3n0L87 said:

Check my last post in the previous page.

I7 920 @ 3.8Ghz, 6GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600Mhz, MSI 260 GTX 216.

Tyl3n0L87

Neo Member
Animal said:
Check my last post in the previous page.

I7 920 @ 3.8Ghz, 6GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600Mhz, MSI 260 GTX 216.

Wow those screens looks amazing! Minimum 40FPS at 1080p & 4xFSAA? Sure your Processor is quite a bit faster than mine but didn't the ATI4870 & Nvidia 260 are about the same?

Sent

Diablohead said:
Look how sharply the cars turn in, like they are on a mine cart track or something, ugh...

Game seems to be dropping on my radar, no wonder it was £20 in uk stores until codemasters pulled it for digital only releases.

For pit stops I think its CPU controlled....

Animal

Banned
Tyl3n0L87 said:
Wow those screens looks amazing! Minimum 40FPS at 1080p & 4xFSAA? Sure your Processor is quite a bit faster than mine but didn't the ATI4870 & Nvidia 260 are about the same?

My graphics card is an overclocked model that is only a couple of fps behind a 280. I forget how it compared to a 4870.

vanty

Sent said:
For pit stops I think its CPU controlled....
Doesn't matter if it's the computer or the player doing the steering there (I'm 99% sure it's the computer), it looks really weird. Cars should turn into the pit boxes as soon as they have enough room past the previous box, not at the absolute last millisecond. They usually also straighten out their exits as much as possible, not turning into the pit lane as quickly/sharply as possible.

slamskank

AcridMeat said:
Alright, here's an updated list of those interested in the Championship + Team preferences.

1-D_FTW - HRT
Animal - McLaren, Red Bull, Mercedes
Foliorum Viridum - McLaren, Red Bull, Force India
AcridMeat - Renault, Sauber, Force India
TylerD - Force India, Williams, Mercedes
Leunam - Sauber, Toro Rosso, Mercedes
Frawdder - Red Bull, Renault, Ferrari
Stop It - McLaren, Force India, Virgin Racing
Lucius86 - Lotus, Ferrari, Williams
Valru - Force India, STR Ferrari, Virgin
jambo - Red Bull, McLaren, Renault
Dilly - Renault, Ferrari, Mercedes
Slamskank - TBD

I did the best I could picking out a team everyone had on their list. A bit difficult with all of the Red Bull/McLarens. If you are unhappy with your team let me know and maybe you can trade up.

As you can see, we have 13 people. If you are interested and are not on the list please let me know! I'd love to have as many people possible to make for an intense qualifying session and hopefully lead to a second championship.
I guess I'll take whatever team is left, any will do.

Played about 3 hours this afternoon and it's great on the G25. As far as performance goes, I left it at default which was everything maxed at 2560x1600 w/ 8xMSAA and it's smooth, zero hiccups. Running two GTX 260 core 216's, i7 920 @ 3.6ghz, 6gb of ram. I didn't run fraps but I will sometime. The handling is fantastic but I'm using a couple of driver assists as I'm a bit of a coward.

1-D_FTW

Definitely like it. Can't wait until the Euros get it tomorrow so there are more people to race against online. There is something to be said for only racing with 3 people though. Even if you suck, you still make podium.:lol

slamskank said:
I guess I'll take whatever team is left, any will do.

Played about 3 hours this afternoon and it's great on the G25. As far as performance goes, I left it at default which was everything maxed at 2560x1600 w/ 8xMSAA and it's smooth, zero hiccups. Running two GTX 260 core 216's, i7 920 @ 3.6ghz, 6gb of ram. I didn't run fraps but I will sometime. The handling is fantastic but I'm using a couple of driver assists as I'm a bit of a coward.

Did you default to Ultra on the bottom settings? There were 3 or 4 settings where I had to move it up from High.

jlevel13

I didn't have much time to play tonight (about an hour), but so far, I'm enjoying it - glad there's finally a current official F1 game, even if it's not "perfect." Graphics are damn good, very immersive. Driving is fun & pretty easy handling-wise, much improved over the open wheelers in Grid and other cars on track seemed to perform a lot better too. But maybe it's a little too easy, even playing on expert with no assists (and I'm not a great driver) it's very easy to stay on track & very hard to lose control of your car... for instance you don't even seem to spin out when flooring it from a complete stop. Actual racing though still seems to be a challenge as well as setting good times, you do have to learn the tracks (if you don't already know them) to do well. Intro videos that gave you an overview/refresh on each track would have been nice (unless they're in there and I missed them). If they were aiming for that middle ground between sim and casual, it may have landed a little more on the casual side, so we will see how that plays out long term.

Another caution - load times are pretty long, at least on PC, so I imagine the console versions are even worse, so be ready to be a little patient.

AcridMeat

Banned
109 Straight minutes. I made the AI a little too easy for that first race, I qualified P4 as Sauber and won the race easily by overtaking everyone else in the first few corners. :lol

With that said, I find it very fun. I also think once I find a nice mix of AI difficulty and my own settings it will be even better.

I raced very briefly online, not entirely sure how all the options work yet. I'll mess around more with it.

edit: Vehn I added you to my list. Please if anyone else is interested let me know.

DarkJC

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Visually I think it looks on par with F1:CE. That game's rain effect is still unbeatable.

How is the driving? Are they still using the old Dirt 2 model or has it finally ditched the central pivoting?

Yeah I personally think it looks way better than F1:CE. I rented that game a little while ago...it's aged.

edit: doh, left the page open and forgot to refresh >.<

Ravenn17

Do the cars feel different from each other? Like do the Force India's and Ferrari's have the advantage on the straights?

AcridMeat

Banned
Tyl3n0L87 said:

I have an E8400 @ 3GHz with 4gb of ram and a 9800GT (512MB).

I just did some tests in Fraps. I had everything on High as default, and in a regular time trial in the day I was getting around 30-38 FPS (avg 32-33). I then turned everything that could be set to medium to medium and put crowd and trees on low as well as cloth. I was then getting, get this, 34-39 FPS.

I then tested a grand prix as that would be more demanding, first with everything on high except for crowd and trees (low). I got 25fps at the start of the race, then during had around 30-38 again. I then turned all of the highs to medium and bogglingly my FPS at the start was still around 25 and at 32-38 frames once it started.

Someone else try this out so I'm not crazy, but there really isn't a significant difference between the two.

edit: I tried the wet as well, and I averaged 31-32fps while averaging 33-34 with settings turned down.

Joseph Merrick said:
you're clueless. tw, the clown, loved grid

bu bu bu bu bu I beat ALL my friends karting!!! i know what i am talking about! fucking rollin SON

send the dude a free can of Battery for winning 'blind fanboi mongoloid in the face of overwhelming facts' prize this week :p

after a few more races, the evidence of the car auto correcting even with TC off is far too apparant. this aimbot/autoaim would be ok on easy and 'karter-difficulty', but on the higher levels?

silly silly.

Juicy Bob

jlevel13 said:
I didn't have much time to play tonight (about an hour), but so far, I'm enjoying it - glad there's finally a current official F1 game, even if it's not "perfect." Graphics are damn good, very immersive. Driving is fun & pretty easy handling-wise, much improved over the open wheelers in Grid and other cars on track seemed to perform a lot better too. But maybe it's a little too easy, even playing on expert with no assists (and I'm not a great driver) it's very easy to stay on track & very hard to lose control of your car... for instance you don't even seem to spin out when flooring it from a complete stop. Actual racing though still seems to be a challenge as well as setting good times, you do have to learn the tracks (if you don't already know them) to do well. Intro videos that gave you an overview/refresh on each track would have been nice (unless they're in there and I missed them). If they were aiming for that middle ground between sim and casual, it may have landed a little more on the casual side, so we will see how that plays out long term.

Another caution - load times are pretty long, at least on PC, so I imagine the console versions are even worse, so be ready to be a little patient.

Cool. I hope this is one of those 'easy to learn, difficult to master' games. Perhaps the cars are a bit more forgiving than in real life but you'll still need to be on it to get that half a second over most people in Time Trial mode. That's what I'm hoping for, at least.

Yoritomo

Wait a second. I tried to enter in the multiplayer area and it said I didn't have permission or something. I entered my product key and everything. Do I have to have gold to play online on the PC?!

Edit: Nevermind. Just had to reboot the game.

Sent

Yoritomo said:
Wait a second. I tried to enter in the multiplayer area and it said I didn't have permission or something. I entered my product key and everything. Do I have to have gold to play online on the PC?!

Indeed :'(

Animal

Banned
Juicy Bob said:
Cool. I hope this is one of those 'easy to learn, difficult to master' games. Perhaps the cars are a bit more forgiving than in real life but you'll still need to be on it to get that half a second over most people in Time Trial mode. That's what I'm hoping for, at least.

I'm starting to realize that this game really is one of those games. I'm doing practice sessions of Melbourne in an STR and the game makes me pay very hard for over-driving the car.

For my first race, I had left the driving line only on corners but everything else like it was on expert. This is known as a "Custom" difficulty setting for the game and the AI difficulty was automatically reduced. I was lapping 6 seconds faster than 2nd place in an STR but 4 seconds off the 2004 lap record by Schumi.

I put the difficulty setting back to expert and did not touch a single setting for my second race. Let me tell you I'm feeling the pressure :lol

I'm loving the steering and braking feel of the cars. I have previous experience in open-wheel motorsports and I can tell you that this is very close. I'm really getting a good rush from pushing the car over its limits and the game is making me pay dearly on the slightest mistakes.

This is why I think this game is easy to learn but hard to master. Lower the difficulty setting enough and anyone can play. Bring it high enough and even the most seasoned racer will start to sweat. I think the online leaderboards and time trial records for this game are going to have very very long legs.

jlevel13

Juicy Bob said:

That's it exactly (I think). The driving model seems somewhat forgiving, but to race FAST you gotta be fast and really nail it.

On the rain effect: It's superb, and not simply because of the way it's on the screen, but more importantly for the way it is on the track. It's scary to drive in too.

On the menus: I like 'em. Maybe they aren't the most intuitive, but they look slick, classy and have a good feel. The music they've selected is nice & relaxing - somewhat the same feel as the Forza 3 menu music. Much better than duderock Dirt2 or the annoying lady from Grid calling me stupid names.

Razgreez

Animal said:
For my first race, I had left the driving line only on corners but everything else like it was on expert. This is known as a "Custom" difficulty setting for the game and the AI difficulty was automatically reduced. I was lapping 6 seconds faster than 2nd place in an STR but 4 seconds off the 2004 lap record by Schumi.

That part seems realistic

AcridMeat

Banned
Animal said:
I'm starting to realize that this game really is one of those games. I'm doing practice sessions of Melbourne in an STR and the game makes me pay very hard for over-driving the car.

I put the difficulty setting back to expert and did not touch a single setting for my second race. Let me tell you I'm feeling the pressure :lol

I'm loving the steering and braking feel of the cars. I have previous experience in open-wheel motorsports and I can tell you that this is very close. I'm really getting a good rush from pushing the car over its limits and the game is making me pay dearly on the slightest mistakes.

This is why I think this game is easy to learn but hard to master. Lower the difficulty setting enough and anyone can play. Bring it high enough and even the most seasoned racer will start to sweat. I think the online leaderboards and time trial records for this game are going to have very very long legs.

I had no idea that the difficulty of the AI gets reduced for making a custom difficulty. That is kind of a bummer as I always make custom options in games. That also explains why I was doing so well. :lol

3d vision guys:

game works well in 3d not a huge fraps hit, although convergence is locked, which is a bummer.
menu's have the usual clownmasters bloom ghosting, but other than that no other noticeable issues.

kitch9

Banned
Templar Wizard said:
3d vision guys:

game works well in 3d not a huge fraps hit, although convergence is locked, which is a bummer.
menu's have the usual clownmasters bloom ghosting, but other than that no other noticeable issues.

Any issues with particle effects such as spray or is it all rendered in 3d? Does it look weird without being able to adjust convergence?

What rig you got and what frames you getting in 3d mode?

30-40fps on a 2.4Ghz, GTX 260 in 720p on an Acer projector

i am thinking the converge is unadjustable due to having the spray locked to the screen.
you can crank the depth to as high as your ends can bear.
The 3d effect of the marbles in canada is a nice touch.

rise888

I've raced a few with my fanatec wheel on xbox.

I'm a racing game beginner and completely new to F1 racing... couple questions:
+Do I have to finish all the laps during the qualifier? Or can I just quit out when I think my time is good enough?
+Is there a faster way to activate 'flashback' besides hitting pause, going to instant replay and then hitting flashback?

I am totally not used to 20+ minute races. Forza spoiled me with their short race distances.

The game is fun, but I'm really bad at this game, even on easy! I've got all assists on except for the braking assist.

Dilly

Banned
Templar Wizard said:
bu bu bu bu bu I beat ALL my friends karting!!! i know what i am talking about! fucking rollin SON

send the dude a free can of Battery for winning 'blind fanboi mongoloid in the face of overwhelming facts' prize this week :p

after a few more races, the evidence of the car auto correcting even with TC off is far too apparant. this aimbot/autoaim would be ok on easy and 'karter-difficulty', but on the higher levels?

silly silly.

Damn:lol

You missed the point about that karting comment of mine though.

AcridMeat

Banned
Fuck punctures!!!!!! GAHHHHH

I had the best two corners I've ever raced, going from P6 off the line to 3rd after the first corner, then splitting the two Red Bulls for 1st. Then that fucking puncture, I'll admit, I used a rewind because I spun out after it. Then, later on the lap I got another puncture, different tire.

Fucking Webber tampered with my primes!!! :mad:

I ended up getting a drive through penalty as well while in 24th (speed through pit). So after an awesome first 4 laps I ended up having the worst race ever. :lol

Fun game, fuck punctures.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
bloodforge said:
Love this game. It's hard though
, to not run Alonso off the road everytime I pass him
:lol
Fixed for my case.

Grr, I have to work today, and I (hopefully) have F1 2010 to play (I haven't bothered to check my post yet), this isn't good.

AcridMeat said:
Fuck punctures!!!!!! GAHHHHH

I had the best two corners I've ever raced, going from P6 off the line to 3rd after the first corner, then splitting the two Red Bulls for 1st. Then that fucking puncture, I'll admit, I used a rewind because I spun out after it. Then, later on the lap I got another puncture, different tire.

Fucking Webber tampered with my primes!!! :mad:

I ended up getting a drive through penalty as well while in 24th (speed through pit). So after an awesome first 4 laps I ended up having the worst race ever. :lol

Fun game, fuck punctures.
:lol :lol

I can see that becoming an issue online. Someone will be racing off into the distance and all of a sudden you'll hear "Fucking puncture" as they smash into a wall.

TylerD

I am pretty pleased with how it is running. (looks better and runs better than console versions).

Specs once again: e8500 @ 3.16, ati hd 4850, 4 gb ram

average better than 33 fps in the heavy rain with 24 cars and 37-40 fps in the dry with 24 cars. 1080p, no MSAA, medium settings. The rain still looks fantastic.

Just did some benchmarking with fraps again using 1650x1080 with 8xMSAA, all detail options set to HIGH, motion blur on, v-sync on in wet GP at SPA and dry at Yas Marina. Went below 30 fps one time before the race started on both tracks. Stayed above 30 for the rest of the 1 lap race.

For the game, it definitely holds your hand a bit even with all the aids off but as others have said, you still have to hit your braking points and know when to turn in to hit the apex and know the tracks. You can go to a default dry setup where you will be able to induce a bit of oversteer and that feels really good too. It is satisfying as heck to overtake and the curbs are fun to hit. I think the game feels great with a g25 with environmental effects at 60% force feedback at 100% and wheel weight at 50%

It has a good sense of speed without feeling impossibly fast to control. I am really digging it so far.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
TylerD said:
I am pretty pleased with how it is running. (looks better and runs better than console versions).

Specs once again: e8500 @ 3.16, ati hd 4850, 4 gb ram

average better than 33 fps in the heavy rain with 24 cars and 37-40 fps in the dry with 24 cars. 1080p, no MSAA, medium settings. The rain still looks fantastic.

To be honest I am a bit surprised with those results, given your setup. The 4850 is still a fantastic card and the e8500 is still a great processor. I should know....I had the same specs on my desktop. You should be hitting close to a rock solid 60fps. My desktop is currently in RMA repair but I will be upgrading and getting it back with an Intel Core i7 950 and an ATI 5870. I'm hoping to be able to maintain a rock solid 100fps with everything maxed out when I play the game on that new rig.

Top Bottom