• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2010 |OT| The 12th Annual Hermann Tilke Championship

Az

People are still unable to get copies for consoles in NA. Looks like a bit of a fuck up and stores are claiming to be getting the game maybe tomorrow but for sure on Friday.

The CM forum is blowing up regarding that issue. I just want to play the damn game.

Lucius86

Banned
19Kilo said:
Only got to do a lap or two last night, but the default steering rotation (900 deg.) doesn't get adjusted in-game, so it's going to be horrible. I set mine to 299 deg. in the windows device settings and it was much more responsive. I'm thinking the game was designed for 270 degrees max. I imagine the real max steering lock is probably a little over 360 degrees depending on the track (Monaco especially).

Do you think Logitech/Codemasters will release a profile for the wheel?

Leunam

So since we have our drivers now, how will we handle races? Do we want to do the full 50-something laps or something like 40% of the race? Should we do every circuit or just vote amongst ourselves for the favorites?

Yoritomo

The game is very good. The only places where the simulation seems to brake down are at the very limits of handling. (I'm basing this on comparison to the ferrari virtual academy) It doesn't handle braking quite correctly as it's much harder to lock up as the vehicle slows and during acceleration there's indication of wheelspin but the limit where the rear slides out is way too forgiving. When it does step out it handles as you'd imagine an F1 car to handle. It handles like an F1 car with the sharp edges removed. My biggest complaint is the steering. I can't figure out how to get a fully linear steering setup, or if it's even possible.

Without the Ferrari sim to compare too I'd say it's pretty solid, and the closest to a sim experience codies has made to date.

On a side note real F1 cars have 400 degrees lock to lock. It might be calibrated to a much lower, like 270 or lower, setting and have speed adjusted sensitivity which is what is throwing me off.

1-D_FTW

Leunam said:
So since we have our drivers now, how will we handle races? Do we want to do the full 50-something laps or something like 40% of the race? Should we do every circuit or just vote amongst ourselves for the favorites?

Whatever will sustain the most interest. My vote is for reduced laps (40 percent seems fair) and voting on tracks. If there are tracks everyone finds dull, no sense having a bunch of no-shows due to lack of interest.

TheAzRim said:
People are still unable to get copies for consoles in NA. Looks like a bit of a fuck up and stores are claiming to be getting the game maybe tomorrow but for sure on Friday.

The CM forum is blowing up regarding that issue. I just want to play the damn game.

I am experiencing the same thing (California). Looks like I have to wait one more day.

19Kilo

Lucius86 said:
Do you think Logitech/Codemasters will release a profile for the wheel?

I doubt it. I was just hoping that since the game recognizes it as a DFGT and maps the buttons appropriately it would also set the steering rotation as well. No big deal, I will just have to experiment with it. I read a post on the CM forums which said that 200 degrees will map 1:1 to the driver's arms in the game. That seems a bit extreme to me but I'm going to try a compromise of 260-270 tonight.

Another note - anyone else have shifter lag? It was really apparent right from the start. I found myself compensating quickly and was able to hit shift points most of the time without hitting the limiter. Still, it felt really weird. F1 cars shift in a few milliseconds and this felt like at least a half second to change gears.

I read another post saying that switching the audio driver from Rapture to Software greatly improved the shifter lag, so that's another change I'll be trying out tonight.

Leunam

19Kilo said:
Another note - anyone else have shifter lag? It was really apparent right from the start. I found myself compensating quickly and was able to hit shift points most of the time without hitting the limiter. Still, it felt really weird. F1 cars shift in a few milliseconds and this felt like at least a half second to change gears.

YES

Man I should have asked too. I thought it was just me going crazy for a second.

19Kilo

Yoritomo said:
It might be calibrated to a much lower, like 270 or lower, setting and have speed adjusted sensitivity which is what is throwing me off.

I'm thinking that's probably the case. The game is probably hard coded to a 270 max lock since most cheap wheels (including the main target I imagine: the MS 360 wheel) are 270 degree wheels. I'm betting we are going to end up setting rotation to 270 or lower before we get completely linear steering.

19Kilo

Leunam said:
YES

Man I should have asked too. I thought it was just me going crazy for a second.

Have you tried the audio driver switch? I won't be able to till tonight but I'm hoping that fixes it.

Leunam

If it's going to be a half season, I'll submit 9 tracks for my vote:

Bahrain International Circuit
Albert Park Grand Prix Circuit
Sepang International Circuit
Shanghai International Circuit
Circuit de Catalunya
Circuit de Monaco
Istanbul Park
Circuit Gilles Villeneuve
Valencia Street Circuit
Silverstone Circuit
Hockenheimring
Hungaroring
Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps
Autodromo Nazionale Monza
Marina Bay Street Circuit
Suzuka Circuit
Korean International Circuit
Autódromo José Carlos Pace
Yas Marina Circuit

19Kilo said:
Have you tried the audio driver switch? I won't be able to till tonight but I'm hoping that fixes it.

I haven't, but I'll try it tonight as well if you don't get to it first.

Yoritomo

19Kilo said:
I doubt it. I was just hoping that since the game recognizes it as a DFGT and maps the buttons appropriately it would also set the steering rotation as well. No big deal, I will just have to experiment with it. I read a post on the CM forums which said that 200 degrees will map 1:1 to the driver's arms in the game. That seems a bit extreme to me but I'm going to try a compromise of 260-270 tonight.

I read another post saying that switching the audio driver from Rapture to Software greatly improved the shifter lag, so that's another change I'll be trying out tonight.

I think the lag is just audio. If you look at the HUD or telemetry it seems immediate.

Az

soujiro_seta said:
Just called Best Buy (Irvine) and they said they ain't receiving their copy 'till next week!! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Did the same thing. Lady already knew about the issue and told me they are going to sell it on Tuesday - 9/28. I am going to call a local store today see if they have it.

TheAzRim said:
Did the same thing. Lady already knew about the issue and told me they are going to sell it on Tuesday - 9/28. I am going to call a local store today see if they have it.

what about amazon.com?

should I cancel my order and place it with amazon.co.uk?

Leunam said:

Circuit de Catalunya
Circuit de Monaco
Istanbul Park
Valencia Street Circuit
Silverstone Circuit
Hockenheimring
Hungaroring
Suzuka Circuit
Yas Marina Circuit

I haven't, but I'll try it tonight as well if you don't get to it first.

Istanbul > Shanghai.

Malaysia might also be good since its a very wide track which might help in the passing.

Az

almokla said:
what about amazon.com?

should I cancel my order and place it with amazon.co.uk?

=D

I like to do some legwork and make a few calls to get my games. Never order online so I am not sure what's going on with that.

Leunam

ExtraKr1spy said:
Istanbul > Shanghai.

Malaysia might also be good since its a very wide track which might help in the passing.

I'm guessing you could tell Shanghai was my last choice. :lol

Roxas

Leunam said:

Circuit de Catalunya
Circuit de Monaco
Istanbul Park
Valencia Street Circuit
Silverstone Circuit
Hockenheimring
Hungaroring
Suzuka Circuit
Yas Marina Circuit

Although Monaco is unique and brilliant in its own way, it is probably the worst circuit on the calender when it comes to overtaking. Wouldnt make a good online race.

Lucius86

Banned
Roxas said:
Although Monaco is unique and brilliant in its own way, it is probably the worst circuit on the calender when it comes to overtaking. Wouldnt make a good online race.

But it's so hardcore - it will literally be the racers who don't punt their cars into the barrier who will win. Monaco is F1. It has to be in the season IMO.

Leunam

Roxas said:

I figured I'd give it a chance since Monaco is an F1 relic. :/

1-D_FTW

19Kilo said:

Not to be captain obvious, but you are certain you have the game on manual, right? You have to go into the settings for every mode. Time Trial, GP, career, ONLINE (WHAT? I have to pause at the start just to change to manual?). Just because you change to manual transmission in Time Trial, doesn't mean the other modes aren't still stuck on automatic.

I drove half a lap in one mode cursing the crappy car before I realized it was automatically shifting.

19Kilo

1-D_FTW said:
Not to be captain obvious, but you are certain you have the game on manual, right? You have to go into the settings for every mode. Time Trial, GP, career, ONLINE (WHAT? I have to pause at the start just to change to manual?). Just because you change to manual transmission in Time Trial, doesn't mean the other modes aren't still stuck on automatic.

I drove half a lap in one mode cursing the crappy car before I realized it was automatically shifting.

Yeah, luckily I had read your earlier post before I got a chance to play so I was already checking my settings every session - it was definitely on manual.

Lucius86 said:
Agreed. I want to manage my tyres and engine so I actually have a chance against some of you nut jobs :lol

Edit: Codies are already at work fixing the pit lane bug.
http://http://community.codemasters.com/forum/f1-2010-game-1316/428943-pit-stop-issue.html
I'm not the biggest racing game player (Forza 2 and 3 are the last ones I put serious time into) so hopefully a full race will give me enough punctures or crashes to sneak up a few places. I know I have no chance of doing it based on pure skill. :lol

My real reason for wanting the races to be full length is a much sadder role playing aspect though, I suppose. If we're going to do it, let's do it right. I'd be up for doing the whole calendar, as well, but I may be in the minority there.

Yoritomo

How much faster are the main cars compared to the bottom 3 teams? I'm still in my first season with the slow teams but all my times are a couple of seconds faster than the real life times of the very fastest cars and compared to real life times I'm putting 10 seconds plus on the real life lap times of the Virgin car on Bahrain. My fastest lap in a virgin car on bahrain was about 1:55 flat I think Maybe mid 1:54 I can't remember.

I guess I'll try a race tonight with the AI on legendary instead of professional. I'm not supposed to be winning the first season with the bottom teams am I?

NHale

To anyone afraid of the PS3 version after the screenshots posted (page 9 or 18) on this thread don't be. Something is very wrong with those screenshots because that is not a representation of what I'm seeing on my screen, and I've tried all different tracks and all type of weathers.

The game looks way better than those screenshots, the only thing that I noticed right away was the jaggies, but the game clearly doesn't look hazy and no piss filter!

EDIT: Even the videos from Insidesimracing are not what the game really looks like.

Stop It said:
Yep, "First Class" delivery means "Sometime within the next week" it seems.

I'm paying extra next time also.

It will have been collected / handed to the depot at the last possible moment to avoid getting it out there to everyone too early. Publishers understand Thursday, but two days in advance won't be looked upon as favourably. Sure, a few people with courier delivery will get theirs that early but that's a very small percentage.

Regardless of when you got your shipping email it will have left properly later in the day. Note that when you have something already available sent first class it's usually with you next day. Pre-orders are handled differently for obvious reasons.

Az

NHale said:
To anyone afraid of the PS3 version after the screenshots posted (page 9 or 18) on this thread don't be. Something is very wrong with those screenshots because that is not a representation of what I'm seeing on my screen, and I've tried all different tracks and all type of weathers.

The game looks way better than those screenshots, the only thing that I noticed right away was the jaggies, but the game clearly doesn't look hazy and no piss filter!

EDIT: Even the videos from Insidesimracing are not what the game really looks like.

How did you get it on PS3?? I can't locate the game anywhere in town..

AzRim & NHale add me to your PSN list. I will probably be terrible but it will be fun to play with GAFer (and hopefully have clean races).

I am gonna call my local BB and Gamestop to see if they got it after work. Fingers crossed.

Lucius86

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
I'm not the biggest racing game player (Forza 2 and 3 are the last ones I put serious time into) so hopefully a full race will give me enough punctures or crashes to sneak up a few places. I know I have no chance of doing it based on pure skill. :lol

My real reason for wanting the races to be full length is a much sadder role playing aspect though, I suppose. If we're going to do it, let's do it right. I'd be up for doing the whole calendar, as well, but I may be in the minority there.

Yeah, I really would love it if we could do it properly - but the dedication could be too much. Put me in the 100% camp too.

Seanspeed

Banned
Roxas said:
In real life, its very difficult to overtake, but video games are a whole nother deal.

You dont have to worry about all the other drivers being almost inch perfect corner after corner, lap after lap(which is what makes overtaking so difficult here in real-life).

With online racing, you see many more mistakes, which generally leave you with many more opportunities to pass than you'd normally have. I've raced online at Monaco with rFactor and its usually always possible to pass somebody if you're faster. You've just gotta keep pressure on the weaker driver til they make a mistake or you can capitalize with a better exit coming into the tunnel or up the hill or something.

The problem with tight street tracks like this online, is that there's almost always those frustrating crashes that leave other cars getting caught up in the melee(just like in real-life, actually!).

AcridMeat

Banned
Since there's been more talk about how we're going to do things, I've got an updated list of players. Because we will need the qualifying (pole position) session, I was thinking of having it during the weekend of October 1-3. That way those getting the game this weekend have time to get themselves oriented and such.

THE LIST!

1-D_FTW
Animal
Foliorum Viridum
AcridMeat
TylerD
Leunam
Frawdder
Stop It
Lucius86
Valru
jambo
Dilly
Slamskank
Vehn
Salacious Crumb

If you would like to participate, you have plenty of time still just let me know.

As for tracks/length. Ideally, I would love to have full race lengths. The problem with that is having the commitment of as many people as possible to put away 2 hours straight on the weekend for this. I was thinking 30 laps for each circuit which would be roughly an hour long race.

In terms of tracks, again ideally I would like a full calender but if we're racing once a week the issue of commitment comes up again. I was thinking a half season would be best.

Feel free to give suggestions though, this is our championship! :D

edit: I will say I'm overruling everyone, we're going to have Monaco. We can put it towards the end though, so people get used to the game and hopefully aren't crash enthusiasts. That is, until we set it to wet.

edit 2: Or we just make it the first race and get it over with :)

acm2000

not gonna get my copy till next week, waiting for my friend at codemasters to send it to me, but damn, i cant wait

why did i sell my wheel? :(

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
AcridMeat said:
Since there's been more talk about how we're going to do things, I've got an updated list of players. Because we will need the qualifying (pole position) session, I was thinking of having it during the weekend of October 1-3. That way those getting the game this weekend have time to get themselves oriented and such.

THE LIST!

1-D_FTW
Animal
Foliorum Viridum
AcridMeat
TylerD
Leunam
Frawdder
Stop It
Lucius86
Valru
jambo
Dilly
Slamskank
Vehn
Salacious Crumb

If you would like to participate, you have plenty of time still just let me know.

As for tracks/length. Ideally, I would love to have full race lengths. The problem with that is having the commitment of as many people as possible to put away 2 hours straight on the weekend for this. I was thinking 30 laps for each circuit which would be roughly an hour long race.

In terms of tracks, again ideally I would like a full calender but if we're racing once a week the issue of commitment comes up again. I was thinking a half season would be best.

Feel free to give suggestions though, this is our championship! :D

edit: I will say I'm overruling everyone, we're going to have Monaco. We can put it towards the end though, so people get used to the game and hopefully aren't crash enthusiasts. That is, until we set it to wet.

edit 2: Or we just make it the first race and get it over with :)

Well, I like the idea of Monaco as the first race, but the race will sound a little bit like this:
"Crap, wall" "Shit, I didn't mean to hit you there" "Fucking bus stop ieee"

I will inevitably fail at lap 29. In a pool of my own carbon fibre shell, swearing a lot. It'll be David Coulthard's fault, it always is.

NHale

Adding to the first impressions about the PS3 version. In this thread someone mentioned the X360 version had some instances where the framerate drops and the PS3 version has the same problem. It's strange because it dropped when I was all alone in a straight while the game was all smooth at the start and when it was raining.

I have to say I love the AI. They really fight for position being very agressive. I just had an epic fight side by side against Schummy during the last sector of Hockenheim that ended with me in the gravel.

TheAzRim said:
How did you get it on PS3?? I can't locate the game anywhere in town..

Ordered from the banned site in the UK and received it today.

MiniBossBattle said:
AzRim & NHale add me to your PSN list. I will probably be terrible but it will be fun to play with GAFer (and hopefully have clean races).

I am gonna call my local BB and Gamestop to see if they got it after work. Fingers crossed.

Invite sent.

AcridMeat

Banned
Stop It said:
Well, I like the idea of Monaco as the first race, but the race will sound a little bit like this:
"Crap, wall" "Shit, I didn't mean to hit you there" "Fucking bus stop ieee"

I will inevitably fail at lap 29. In a pool of my own carbon fibre shell, swearing a lot. It'll be David Coulthard's fault, it always is.

New rule for this championship: If you want to vent anger, direct it at David Coulthard. Remember, this championship is to have fun. :)

vehn

this game sure doesnt explain things well at times.... So how does the R&D objectives / amount of laps work when practicing before a race? I'm doing the 2nd one (Melbourne) and I beat the R&D lap time, but it doesnt say anything about when it's over and doesnt give the ending amount of laps. I see the timer when sitting in the garage ticks from one hour... so am I supposed to be on the track for an hour? When will the game end the practice and allow me to go to qualifiers, or do I have to manually select skip to qualifier and hope I get the objective?

Animal

Banned
Race Report:
So this was my first full weekend in expert mode. Finished all Practices in 7th place in my STR and I qualified 10th. Total race length was 12 laps. This track is Melbourne Australia.

So made my way up to 7th within the first lap. AI drivers are really slow when close to other cars.

2zno8lg.jpg

2dhebcx.jpg

I then passed one more car for 6th and was slowly approaching Alonso (Like a hunter stalking its prey :lol).

10p65b5.jpg

Getting real close to Alonso!

rsr0pi.jpg

Canaduh fuck yeah!

29qo12b.jpg

Letting him know I'm knocking on his door.

n5kd92.jpg

Time to pit! Sweet. I had started on options and the strategy indicated I pit on my 4th lap.

25a6srr.jpg

The pit crew animations are really awesome!

345j8s8.jpg

This is how much room a car has to enter the pits. Look how close he drives to the lollipop man's foot! That must be like a pixel! :lol

1688sir.jpg

Ready to go! But wait there are 15 other cars in the pit lane. So I stay put until they all clear my pit box. Fuck me. :lol

34jdsva.jpg

I come back out 23rd! Can you fucking believe it? I'm so furious I'm pulling kamikaze passes in the 5th gear S turns and taking Bruno Senna on the outside of the exit. Nuts this driver! :D

2iivhia.jpg

Made my way up the field like an Animal (yes that's right) and finished 11th. My target was to finish 12th or above.

All in all it was really awesome to go through the motions of a race weekend. The pit stop bug ruined everything. I put so much effort in my practices, qualifications and my first couple of race laps and it was all thrown out the bloody window over this stupid bug. Very disappointed to say the least.

NHale

The pit bug has to be patched very quickly. Like I expected this will end up ruining career mode and online until it's fixed.

I still can't believe how Codemasters shipped the game with this bug...

Top Bottom