• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2010 |OT| The 12th Annual Hermann Tilke Championship

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Well, I have F1 2010 installing now, the only problem is that I have to go back to work (I am at lunch at the moment), boo!

Anyway, looking at the complaints about the console editions do make me chuckle. Paying more, getting less. I guess now wouldn't be the best time to say that I paid £20 for my PC copy, and of course FPS issues should not be present on my rig.

Ah well, such is life.

1-D_FTW

I just want to amend my earlier impressions on the graphics a little. Finally played on the big screen last night and when it's blown up, it's not quite as impressive as on my crt monitor. Still looks good, but certainly not near Dirt 2's onslaught.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
1-D_FTW said:
I just want to amend my earlier impressions on the graphics a little. Finally played on the big screen last night and when it's blown up, it's not quite as impressive as on my crt monitor. Still looks good, but certainly not near Dirt 2's onslaught.
Well, I have just fired the game up on my 32" LG HDTV at 1920 x 1080 (Settings all High so they could be higher on some) and the game looks incredible.

I just had to stop myself from playing (I was doing some Time Trial at Albert Park) as I need to get back to work. The game isn't without its faults , for example the gearing seem to be off, I am sure turn 3 is a 2nd gear corner, not a 3rd to 4th and the car was a bit too stable even without assists, but aside from that, all seems good.

Well, the next 4 hours will take ages, I just want to get home and get acquainted with the game. Bah!

tyler said:
Maybe as F1 has 24 cars vs 12?

Can anyone comment on if the drops happen in TT when you're the only car or in MP with a max of 12? I've read that even in practice the other 23 AI cars can be in the pitlane so that causes drops in certain sections of the track.

That doesn't explain the frame dips in training and qualifying.

TheDrowningMan said:
How do you change penalty / damage settings? I long for a 'simple menu' mode.

When you are in the truck go to "MyF1" option to the right. There you can change AI setting, damage, and so on...

Fortinbras said:
The game is disappointing on a technical level. At least the 360 version is. The framerate and the tearing are annoying as hell. I'm quite surprised by this.

It´s strange. In PS3 I have only noticed one light tearing frame after playing for about 5 hours. Good news coming from the tearing fest that were other EGO engine games for PS3. Maybe they got to add triple buffering ?.

Juicy Bob

I've concluded that using a wheel gives you a massive advantage over pad users. I just tried a quick race around Valencia with the DualShock3 and traction became a much bigger problem when compared to accelarating using pedals.

acm2000

Fortinbras said:
The game is disappointing on a technical level. At least the 360 version is. The framerate and the tearing are annoying as hell. I'm quite surprised by this.

are you using vga cable perchance?

amstradcpc said:
When you are in the truck go to "MyF1" option to the right. There you can change AI setting, damage, and so on...

Hmm, I didn't seem to have those options - just controls, audio and so on. Maybe because I said I'm relatively inexperienced at F1 when I started the career...shall investigate further later, thanks.

1-D_FTW

Stop It said:
Well, I have just fired the game up on my 32" LG HDTV at 1920 x 1080 (Settings all High so they could be higher on some) and the game looks incredible.

I just had to stop myself from playing (I was doing some Time Trial at Albert Park) as I need to get back to work. The game isn't without its faults , for example the gearing seem to be off, I am sure turn 3 is a 2nd gear corner, not a 3rd to 4th and the car was a bit too stable even without assists, but aside from that, all seems good.

Well, the next 4 hours will take ages, I just want to get home and get acquainted with the game. Bah!

It looks great. But I was clearly the biggest hyper of the graphics and blown up I don't think it's in Dirt 2s category in terms of eye orgasm. That's not to say it isn't spectacular. F1 just has a more subtle quality to it (which isn't a bad thing).

mclaren777

AcridMeat said:
Because we will need the qualifying (pole position) session, I was thinking of having it during the weekend of October 1-3. That way those getting the game this weekend have time to get themselves oriented and such.
That Saturday is Petit Le Mans for 10 hours. Perhaps it's not the best weekend to choose for racing fans.

jlevel13

1-D_FTW said:
It looks great. But I was clearly the biggest hyper of the graphics and blown up I don't think it's in Dirt 2s category in terms of eye orgasm. That's not to say it isn't spectacular. F1 just has a more subtle quality to it (which isn't a bad thing).

Well, keep in mind (I assume) you're running Dirt2 in with DX11 effects, while F1 is using DX9 (I believe). DX11 support will be patched in soon supposedly (at some unspecified date), so only then will it be completely fair to compare the two visually. We'll see.

Deadman

My steam says that f1 2010 will unlock in 1 day 3 hours, which is 6pm tomorrow my time. This is just a cruel joke and its really going to unlock at midnight tonight right?

...Right?

1-D_FTW

I didn't really dig down in the settings. Can you even manually set the starting grid? I know you can have a qualifying session that sets the grid, but that's a combo deal. Does it allow you to hold qualifying one day, then manually set the grid on another session?

Deadman said:
My steam says that f1 2010 will unlock in 1 day 3 hours, which is 6pm tomorrow my time. This is just a cruel joke and its really going to unlock at midnight tonight right?

...Right?
It's really fucking stupid. Very few things annoy me on Steam, but being forced to wait like that when it would've arrived in the post at 9am gets me.

Lach

Deadman said:

...Right?

Where are you from? Mine says:
This game will unlock in approximately 3 hours
(Switzerland)

Lach

It seems so. UK tomorrow, rest of Europe today.
It really sucks, but I guess it's the publishers fault (which themself have to appeal to the retailers).

19Kilo

Got a little more time in last night. Switched the audio to software mode and it totally fixed the shifting lag :D. Started a career with Lotus and did a 20% race at Bahrain (fuck I hate this track - really, Tilke?. Can't wait to go back to the old layout). Didn't take the time to learn the track that much but still worked my way halfway up the field before getting into it with Button. Finished last place, oh well, just get me off this circuit and bring on Melbourne! :lol

The cars are ok to drive. Waaaay to much grip I think. When I do manage to really overdrive the car and it steps out on me it pretty much just auto-corrects itself.

I found myself wishing for more feedback as to what the car is doing though. Maybe some more head movement, especially under braking. I don't get a good sense that these cars are decelerating at that monstrous 5G's. That could also be related to the lack of a good sense of speed. Some tire scrubbing and squealing noise would help too. The tire noise is maybe not that realistic but sims have always used it as an additional tool to help you know exactly what the car is doing since we can't feel the g-forces.

I did a quick session at Spa in heavy rain. Holy shit that's what I've been looking for! I shouldn't be able to see a damn thing when trailing someone into Eau Rouge at close to 200mph in a heavy downpour and I couldn't. I think the wet is where this game really hits its stride. Can't wait to see changing conditions during the season.

Can't speak much about the AI yet, but I get the feeling that once I get to a track I'm decent at I'll be wishing for more difficulty. We'll see. What I really want to see is a bigger gap in performance between the top teams and the bottom ones. I hope I don't get any poles in 2010 in a Lotus - no matter how good I may be driving.

So at this early stage, the driving is ok, the racing is a blast - and that's what matters to me. I'm looking forward to working my way through a multi-year career with a small team, earning upgrades, etc. I think I'll be playing this well into next year, just in time for F1 2011 (which sounds like it's going to be quite an improvement).

jlevel13

19Kilo said:
I think I'll be playing this well into next year, just in time for F1 2011 (which sounds like it's going to be quite an improvement).

Oh yeah - I was just wondering about this, what have you heard about 2011?

I was thinking it would be nice if the career was a little more of a career, like start with karts and then have to move through a feeder series or two to make it to F1, but other than something big like that, it's hard to imagine an annual purchase (just one different/new track in 2011, right?)...

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
That's really sad about the console versions, although I remeber in the previous thread when I wrote in the PS3 review code there were slowdowns and framerate stutter, almost everybody kinda jumped on me.

It pisses me off the even on a good pc the game doesn't look nearly as good as Dirt2 and yet it is way more demanding on specs... can't wait for some sort of mod to make the cars' liveries not look like Fisherprice's toys plastic anymore.

Animal

Banned
I don't know if you guys have taken a close look at the rear of some of these cars but the detail is insane.

ive got mine on 360. No slowdown or problems, i install to hdd.

AS for the games itself, i love it. Right blend of sim/arcade to make it a challenge but not a pain in the arse. Will get a lot of playtime from it.

19Kilo

jlevel13 said:
Oh yeah - I was just wondering about this, what have you heard about 2011?

I was thinking it would be nice if the career was a little more of a career, like start with karts and then have to move through a feeder series or two to make it to F1, but other than something big like that, it's hard to imagine an annual purchase (just one different/new track in 2011, right?)...

I've heard in interviews that most of the stuff they didn't have time to fit into 2010 they are working on for 2011. Safety car is a big one, a couple other things I don't remember atm. The devs sounded like they were going to be putting lots of work into it, not just changing driver names and a track update or two and calling it good. They were also pretty disappointed with how the "Live the Life" stuff turned out, so expect that to be much more fleshed out.

DarkJC

So I've played this game for a bit on Hard now, and it feels like if you know the layout of the track you're going to easily sail to the top. I just did qualifying for Bahrain and easily grabbed pole driving for Sauber.

I like how the game sets different expectations of you depending on what team you're driving for, but I think it should do a better job of making those expectations feel more realistic. A goal of getting 15th seems silly when I do 3 laps in Practice and keep the top time for the rest of the session. I had a similar issue during qualifying when I grabbed pole. There wasn't any fighting for it, I did two flying laps and then set it on fast forward and watched as I stayed on top. I'm going to see how the race goes and if it's similarly easy perhaps Expert is the difficulty I'm looking for.

Dilly

Banned
Seems like qualifying on top is easy, but it's quite hard to keep up during the race.

They must have screwed up their fuel load programming for the AI or something.

I'm in the UK and it says it's going to unlock in approximately 9 hours, which would be 3AM in the morning... Seems rather an odd time to do it.

moojito

Yes, 3am in the afternoon would make much more sense!

but aye, that is a weird time. I'm glad I'm not waiting for it to unlock or I'd get bugger all sleep and have work in the morning

Deadman

from cm forums:

I went looking into this for you, and we should have the PC Steam version unlocked for the UK at midnight tonight.

Thanks for bringing this up.

Caldera.

So hopefully it will move back again from 3am to 00.00

TylerD

I am sucking bad in the races. I don't think I am going to get heavy into a career until they fix the pit stop problem because I want to do 40% races.

It feels really good when you get into a rhythm and the tires get warm and like others are saying, the racing with the AI is a lot of fun.

woeds

After qualifying in the top10 in China with a Lotus, I decided to bump the difficulty to professional. Holy crap, I can't seem to get off the back row :D I've done about 15 practice laps in Barcelona so far, but am still one second off 23rd place.

Maybe I just suck, but the game doesn't feel too easy for me, quite a challenge. (using a wheel, abs on)

Az

I don't see myself spending too much time in career mode. I really enjoy racing real people online. Just want to add, all of you PS3 owners that are getting this make sure to add me and the other guys, so we can hopefully get a full race one day.

Edit: My local store finally got the game in, racing tonight...

moojito

Yarr, I'm not too bothered about how tough the AI. The real challenge for me will be in climbing the online lap time leaderboards. I doubt I'll be challenging for the top, but if I can get within a second or two on some tracks I'll be happy.

Az

moojito said:
Yarr, I'm not too bothered about how tough the AI. The real challenge for me will be in climbing the online lap time leaderboards. I doubt I'll be challenging for the top, but if I can get within a second or two on some tracks I'll be happy.

Yup same here. I think I spent most of my time in trime trials in GT5P.

NHale

tyler said:
Maybe as F1 has 24 cars vs 12?

Can anyone comment on if the drops happen in TT when you're the only car or in MP with a max of 12? I've read that even in practice the other 23 AI cars can be in the pitlane so that causes drops in certain sections of the track.

Just tried a time trial in Monaco and I can confirm that the framerate didn't dip once. In races, qualify and practice, the framerate dips everytime in the 2nd chicane of the piscine.

Mihku said:
I'm a bit disappointed you can't save during a race. I like driving 100% races, but sometimes you simply don't have the time to drive for 1h30m. Hope they patch it in.
LeMans 24hour method would be awesome, as in you can save your race progress only in a pitstop and resume from that pit later on when you load it up.

Maybe it will allow you to cheese some races if you crash out but it would still be a nice option for long races.

NHale

Now I can't understand what is happening. Just had a race in Monaco and the framerate was very stable even in the corner where yesterday I noticed a massive framerate drop everytime.

Weather is the same BTW.

Roxas

WHAT THE FUCK!

I go into the pits in 2nd place. Pretty much everyone else follows behind me. I end up leaving the pits 17th!

FUCK YOU!

Massa

Roxas said:
WHAT THE FUCK!

I go into the pits in 2nd place. Pretty much everyone else follows behind me. I end up leaving the pits 17th!

FUCK YOU!

Did this happen?

blog-massa_pitstop.jpg

(It's a known bug, they'll work on it. There's a work around posted a page or two back).

AcridMeat

Banned
Roxas said:
WHAT THE FUCK!

FUCK YOU!

There was a post earlier in the thread to temporarily fix this before the patch. Change your pit strategy. If it's a one stop, either have your pit in a lap sooner or lap later, or flip the order of the tires used (start on prime instead of option).

I did this last night and though they're still slow to release from the pits at least it was 5.2 seconds instead of 11 or 17.

Top Bottom