• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2011 |OT| Not bad for a number 2 game

After spending more than 8 hours with the game, here's my impressions.

There's a lot of great improvements over the last game, a lot of them are well known to every and a lot are just little things that improve the experience.

Personally, I believe at the end of the day the only thing that will really matter is the new handling system. My god it is so good, It might not be 100% realistic but it's really rewarding once you get a corner right. You can really feel the weight shifts in the car as you take a corner, you can no longer throw the car at turn 18 at Spa, full throttle, and expect the car to just go through it. It took my a while to get the grips of it, but once you get it right, YOU GET IT RIGHT.

It's especially apparent when you drive in the wets, throttle control and easiness on the wheel is really important.

Playing around with DRS and KERS are really fun, they feel more like a game mechanic than an actual racing tool.

AI is really great this time around, I used to play on legendary in 2010 and got 3rd place in Montreal in a 20% race. Now, I can't even match the pace of legendary in a Red Bull. They're really smart too, so they don't just crash into you, they instead left off and try and get a better line to overtake. I got a lot of wheel to wheel action in 4 20% GPs.

You can no longer request a pit in. So once put window is open you can go whenever. Just watch out, because if you don't pit in the lap you're supposed to your team mate might pit the lap after.

Oh yeah, the tracks look super pretty now.

I haven't played online nor did I experience a Safety Car or a Red Flag.

Kyaw

Sounds glorious. :)

How are the race starts?
Nothing new with them, right? Just keep the throttle at optimal revs and it's good to go?

Staab

Goddamn DAT MECHANICAL GRIP IS INSANE !
Went into time attack mode to fiddle with the options, sheeiiiiiiit what a difference from F1 2010. I'm sliding all over the place and had to switch to automatic gears so I can get into a rythm...
It looks insanely good, a lot more details than last time and feels completely different (the force feedback is pretty good on my TM F430).
Gonna post some youtube vids soon!

edit : averaging about 50FPS with a AMD PII 955 BE (@3.4Ghz), 4Gb RAM and a single 5770 with everything on max.

1-D_FTW

Those impressions sound really great. Maybe I shouldn't have entered this thread.

It's easier to resist at 50 dollars though. If I could have picked it up at retail for under 30 dollars (like that one EU link that was posted), I would have.

Just felt burned by the DX 11 issues and didn't think it was going to be much of an upgrade. And now that it's 5 dollars more since the pre-order discount is gone, I'll ride it out. But you guys won't be making it easy on me.

Kyaw

Good to hear about the lack of mechanical grip. :)
It's going to be a fun championship.

EDIT: Also did you guys use 0% Centre Spring on your Logitech/other Wheel settings?
If you don't, you should.

Kyaw said:
Sounds glorious. :)

How are the race starts?
Nothing new with them, right? Just keep the throttle at optimal revs and it's good to go?

I'll try to get it to optimal revs and let you know how it goes. All my race starts where testing and I usually ended up sliding the car.

There's no longer an option to put the pit limiter on, it's automatic now. :(

Also, force feedback is glorious! You get a small vibration when you change gears, you really feel it when you're turning and shifting up (Monza for example)

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Foliorum Viridum said:
Slap the manual gears back on, Staab, you massive woman.

But yeah, videos/screenshots please!
I echo this request.

On a related note, I have had an e-mail saying that my copy of F1 2011 has been shipped, so hopefulyl I can be playing by tomorrow!

Kyaw

Stop It said:
On a related note, I have had an e-mail saying that my copy of F1 2011 has been shipped, so hopefulyl I can be playing by tomorrow!

Is this from Play.com?

Sleeplessnights said:
Also, force feedback is glorious! You get a small vibration when you change gears, you really feel it when you're turning and shifting up (Monza for example)

Glorious! :D
I'm guessing F1 2011 is going to be a lot more challenging to drive with all the assists off than F1 2010? (especially in the rain)

deim0s

One question who has their copies...

Does the car feel as if its floating and would different teams have their own feel or car characteristics offline?

Kyaw said:
I'm guessing F1 2011 is going to be a lot more challenging to drive with all the assists off than F1 2010? (especially in the rain)

Yeah, defiantly. You have to nurse your way around each corner, then try and push for the limit until you get it right. Too much means spinning out. Each car has got it's own feeling too, right now I'm finding the Ferrari and the McLaren to be easier to drive than the Red Bull!

Also, about race starts. Optimal rev and when you're comfortably into 2nd gear you can put your foot down. I tried to hammer it after the 1st gear and the car skidded.

deim0s said:
Does the car feel as if its floating and would different teams have their own feel or car characteristics offline?

Yes about the cars. Read the bold text!

Nope about the floating, I know what you mean. It was easy to notice that in 2010 but not now.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Kyaw said:
Is this from Play.com?

Glorious! :D
No, that site that shall not be named...to.

Anyway, looking forward to the challenge if indeed F1 2011 is harder with assists off.

Orgun

Gym session finished. Soon as I get home in VPNing this bitch for some singleplayer! FRAPS will be recording my first time out on track :)

amar212

I would be grateful if those with the game would give their test regarding wet AI and actual possible times with all aids off that I higlighted in detail on the previous page.

Thanx in advance guys.

Just started playing. I turned off all the assists (except automatic gears as I'm using a controller) and I was struggling to keep the cars on the track in Melbourne. I had to turn the racing line on to give myself a chance. The AI on professional were hard to stay ahead of, especially down the straights. They really know how to use their kers/drs. I tried Montreal time attack and I was sliding all over the place. It's really hard to stay on track in the wet. Will edit with some screens in a few minutes, 1680x1050 though :(

2011-09-20_000012umm.jpg

2011-09-20_000025u0g.jpg

NO_Quarter25 said:
I can't get this game to run fullscreen anymore. I alt tabed out of the game and there is no option to change it. any help?

Press alt+enter

I've no idea what AA to use. Got it running at around 110 fps at the moment.

Lucius86

Banned
Been stuck in a traffic jam for 2.5 hours now - your impressions and the girls running on the pavement next to me are keeping me entertained.

Branson

Played a bit last night before bed, did the first race in career at 20% and it was really fun. New handling model is pretty good. The AI are pretty ruthless and fun now, was passing my teammate, team told me to take it easy and not wreck each other out and as I was passing my damn teammate took me to the grass. It was great fun lol. They only thing that bothers me is that the collisions between other cars don't seem to be as sensitive for smaller bumps, these are damn open wheel cars I shouldn't be able to bump a few cars during the start and get away easily. But, minor annoyance.

Orgun

Branson said:
Played a bit last night before bed, did the first race in career at 20% and it was really fun. New handling model is pretty good. The AI are pretty ruthless and fun now, was passing my teammate, team told me to take it easy and not wreck each other out and as I was passing my damn teammate took me to the grass. It was great fun lol. They only thing that bothers me is that the collisions between other cars don't seem to be as sensitive for smaller bumps, these are damn open wheel cars I shouldn't be able to bump a few cars during the start and get away easily. But, minor annoyance.
PC version? I bet the damage sensitivity levels will be modded pretty quick

Just had an amazing race at Monza. It was so good, my brother watched me race as if he was watching an actual race. Yep, that good.

amar212 said:
I would be grateful if those with the game would give their test regarding wet AI and actual possible times with all aids off that I higlighted in detail on the previous page.

Thanx in advance guys.

I've noticed that they get better traction out of corners in the wets, better than I could ever dream off. I don't know if they're using traction control or I just suck at driving in the wets in 2011. But something fishy is going on.

gutterboy44 said:
Anyone playing PS3 version yet? Do you notice the GFX improvements like on the PC side?

Yep, game looks so much better than 2010.

Branson

Orgun said:
PC version? I bet the damage sensitivity levels will be modded pretty quick
Yeah, pc version. Hopefully, that would be nice for that to be a bit more unforgiving. These are not nascars where I can move people out of the way with a bumper lol.

Staab

Uploaded a "first run" video when I launched teh game, crappy driving, menus and foolishness to be seen !

edit: whenever it finishes processing that is, graphics are maxed out but I can't upload the highest quality cause my connection is too slowz!

Juicy Bob

I am officially boycotting this thread now until UK release day. I can't put myself through the torture of reading you guys enjoying this game while I can't do the same!

What AA setting are you guys using?

And did they remove most of the names you can select for the audio? I can only select from the drivers name, legends or nicknames (of which there are 3 nicknames).

19Kilo

Got some quick impressions:

Q9400 @ 3.2ghz, 4GB ram, GTX 560 ti

everything on ultra, 2x msaa

48fps avg.

Benchmark loaded, but game would CTD every time I tried to load a race for a time trial. Updated both Rapture drivers and Nvidia beta drivers and that seemed to do the trick.

Did a 20% race at spa in a ferrari. Only qualified 18th on professional AI :( going to take me a bit to get back up to speed. Couple laps in, a light rain started and within a couple more I was sliding all over. Really cool to see the dry racing line developing. Team radioed that other cars were putting on intermediates, so I pitted and did the same. Within another lap or two I needed full wets. After numerous offs and a 20 second time penalty for causing a collision I finished near last place.

The game feels really nice so far. Performance is good (although I might tweak it a little to get fps closer to 60). Loading seems quicker than 2010 to me. Looks amazing, dry or wet. Car handling is really good, and a nice improvement over 2010. Force feedback is great on my DFGT, also pretty sure I felt vibration from flat spotting my tires. With KERS and DRS you really have your hands full now, especially in qualy.

Having a blast so far, and it will only get better once I get back into rhythm. Going to try out career mode now :)

Oblong Schlong said:
Please add me to the list in the OP-

GFWL:Mr Oblong
Steam:oblongschlong

Must've been missed. FV, please add me to the PC list. Thanks.

To everyone posting handling impressions etc., great job keep it up!

Iknos

Marcellus Wallace said:
I apologize if it's been asked, but is there any difference between the console versions?
Big graphical differences just like in Dirt 3. Framerate and textures and extra effects.

Omiee

guys this game is unreal, big big graphic upgrade from 2010. I dont mean it looks so much better, but the cockpit view is so much nicer now, and it runs so much smoother.

i also love the adition of drs, i was using it in practice during the rain, and tried the same corner with drs and without drs, you could actually feel the car with the forcefeedback losing grip with drs one lol.

LOVEEE IT.

this a screen just untill i make some better ones.

hv2wr8.jpg

Oblong Schlong said:
Must've been missed. FV, please add me to the PC list. Thanks.

To everyone posting handling impressions etc., great job keep it up!
I add the new ones at the end of every night. Easier to keep track of who I've done then :)

Kyaw

Is it just me or is that Williams black and white instead of dark blue and white? o_O

Or it might be the less-pissy filter in action.

dubc35

Wow, this game is intense! I did a full weekend at Monaco and was amazed. It really shows how much talent the F1 drivers have to manage KERS, DRS, their tires, shifting, radio orders, etc all while putting down lap times. I missed out on Q2 by 0.3 seconds. I had some good moments in the race (8 lap race). At one point I was up to P7 but messed up badly at Portier and got spun around. I ended up P15. The races take 100% concentration. There is no yawning around circuits like in GT5 in this game (and I really like GT5 btw).

Orgun

Wahey, my first wall colision and I caught it on FRAPS :)

edit: and its on that corner of Melbourne that I always spin out on !

Top Bottom