• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2011 |OT| Not bad for a number 2 game

tipped

Neo Member
Got this game and a wheelstand arriving tomorrow hopefully. God damn I can't wait any longer. Delighted to hear first impressions about this, sounds a massive improvement (and I really enjoyed 2010).

So what's the verdict on safety cars? They seem to be the one addition that was most discussed and I'm curious as to how well implemented they are / how much they bring to the gameplay.

Orgun

Me and Staab are doing a co-op championship with Legendary AI, Melbourne and it's wet lol what a way to do my first races :)

Omiee

DRS is such a nice addition to this years game, i freaking love it. You really find your self searching for the best combination of drs and kers during qualifying.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Lucius86 said:
Bastards. Both of you.
Yes they are.

Good to see the game though, looking like a proper upgrade on F1 2010, which is great to see. Hopefully the Royal Mail delivers tomorrow and I can get on the track ASAP.

Orgun

Oh man co-op mode is great. It's all friendly through p1-p3 but come Q3 we were jostling to stay out of the cut off point :) Now for Q2, I don't wanna go to work tomorrow

Wow. Driving in the wet is hard. Not only because you have to discover the parts of the track where you really need to feather the throttle, but because the AI are pretty damn fast. It's good to see a noticable gap between Lotus, HRT, Virgin and the rest of the grid though.

2011-09-20_00006zrye.jpg

Staab

Haha coop championship is THE BOMB.
Really changes everything, love it !

After 3hours of racing, the new handling model is superb, everything seems awesome so far.
We did notive the "TC cheating AI" in the wet some but we were on Legendary so who knows what's going on for sure.

You chicken need to quit fooling around and get that VPN running !

Here are some screenshots before I hit the sack :
Crash

Co-op timing screen

Orgun getting beaten !

Not for long though =(

DieH@rd

Banned
Staab said:
Haha coop championship is THE BOMB.
Really changes everything, love it !

After 3hours of racing, the new handling model is superb, everything seems awesome so far.
We did notive the "TC cheating AI" in the wet some but we were on Legendary so who knows what's going on for sure.

You chicken need to quit fooling around and get that VPN running !

How is the coop championship working? Do you must play every race manually, or can you play entire championship [with game remembering points from every race]?

Staab

DieH@rd said:
How is the coop championship working? Do you must play every race manually, or can you play entire championship [with game remembering points from every race]?
It's a complete season including (if you want) P1, P2, P3, qualis and race.
You get to chose your team, assists and difficulty etc..
Every session you finish gets auto-saved, and you can continue from there whenever you want.
It's really well done.

However you're limited to 1 co-op championship save :(

DieH@rd

Banned
Staab said:
It's a complete season including (if you want) P1, P2, P3, qualis and race.
You get to chose your team, assists and difficulty etc..
Every session you finish gets auto-saved, and you can continue from there whenever you want.
It's really well done.

However you're limited to 1 co-op championship save :(

Awesome thanks!
10de421.gif

Shaneus

*sigh*
Managed to fandangle an unlock of this last night, and it STILL doesn't run anywhere near as well as it should. Ultra everything, 1920x1080 no AA and still only getting around 30fps and the GPUs are both maxing out at about 50%. UGH. On the contrary, fired up Dirt 3 to test out the wheel and was only getting occasional dips below 60.

Chris R

So is this out this week in the USA? I didn't see a single copy when out today at three different stores (HEY BRO, YOU LOOKING TO BUY GEARS OF WAR 3??!?!?!... No, I'm not.)

1-D_FTW

rhfb said:
So is this out this week in the USA? I didn't see a single copy when out today at three different stores (HEY BRO, YOU LOOKING TO BUY GEARS OF WAR 3??!?!?!... No, I'm not.)

Wasn't available at retail in US last year either.

Amazingly, it seems it's only available on Steam this year. I guess that explains Codemasters upping their prices from 39.99 to 49.99 this year. With only a single seller for the entire country, they feel emboldened to charge whatever they want.

EDIT: Oops. Forgot non-PC versions actually existed;) Carry on:)

Deadman

Shaneus said:
*sigh*
Managed to fandangle an unlock of this last night, and it STILL doesn't run anywhere near as well as it should. Ultra everything, 1920x1080 no AA and still only getting around 30fps and the GPUs are both maxing out at about 50%. UGH. On the contrary, fired up Dirt 3 to test out the wheel and was only getting occasional dips below 60.

What hardware do you have? I get about the same in dirt 3 and am wondering what ill get in f12011.

1 co-op championship at a time is fine by me. Between that, our online races and our league, I wouldn't want to juggle another championship, I don't think.

Can't wait for Friday evening when Lucius and I start ours. I might be a gent to him in our league but he's going to have to work to get past me in a career race. :D

eg: if he wants to keep his wing he better be good at dodging.

Haha, nah. Will be good fun though. I'm looking forward to that the most after our league.

Shaneus

Deadman said:
What hardware do you have? I get about the same in dirt 3 and am wondering what ill get in f12011.
Q9550@3.6GHz, 4gb RAM and dual 5850s OC'd. If it was happening in Dirt 2 and 3 I wouldn't be concerned but they both run fine. Their respective F1 games (D2/2010 and D3/2011) don't. I haven't played with RadeonPro and mucked around with profiles yet so there's every chance I could get them to run better, but unless there's ATI or Codies come out with a drastic performance update, I doubt it.

Another option is to lock the 2gb replay file, but I doubt that would be a factor in a shitty benchmark.

1-D_FTW said:
Wasn't available at retail in US last year either.

Amazingly, it seems it's only available on Steam this year. I guess that explains Codemasters upping their prices from 39.99 to 49.99 this year. With only a single seller for the entire country, they feel emboldened to charge whatever they want.

EDIT: Oops. Forgot non-PC versions actually existed;) Carry on:)
UK still has a pc disc release, like gold dust

Shaneus

Foliorum Viridum said:
Have you disabled crossfire?

My 5850 dominated 2010. One card should be enough for near 60fps.
That's the next plan, but it shouldn't have to be that way. There should be performance *gains* from using more than one card, not losses.

But looking at the Monaco bench in DX11... man, is this a pretty game.

dubc35

rhfb said:
I picked up my copy (ps3) at my local best buy this morning (seattle).

19Kilo

Hopefully someone mods in the in-helmet beep notification when DRS is available. I know where most of the detection and activation points are for most tracks but it can be hard to tell if you're actually within the one second window and you get to use it or not. The cockpit view doesn't seem to have any lights or anything for it.

Shaneus

Foliorum Viridum said:
I agree, but that's not always the case. Sucks, but it's why I'll never go with two cards. Too much hassle.

*hugs 6950*

One card is all I need, baby.
Definitely going that round next! Once there's a single card that benches consistently better than what I have now (vast majority of games are fine, it's really only the odd old/unoptimised games like Blur and Hot Pursuit that give me issues) then I'll dive in. But as it is, my current setup still dominates for everything else I play.

In other news, my Gran Turgismo paddles shouldn't be too far off... they left the US on the 17th and it's the 21st now, so hopefully they'll be here by the end of the week at the latest.

I kepe crashing my car full on against others on the 1st corner yet they don't come out with the safety car. Any tips (yeah I'm asking for tips for this LOL) to make the game use the safety car?

evanylee

So in F1 2010, after qualifying, I used to quit to paddock to do other things. But in 2011, quitting back to paddock will automatically make you retire and lose from the current session. Retarded

Shaneus

Diablohead said:
Is DX9 loading still long/slow? not that I mind it but I do wish it was quicker.
Running the benchmarks, Monaco seemed to take FOREVER to load. Longer than when benching in 2010 at least.

Long times under DX9 are huuge, like 1 minute, maybe longer, but then you get no more loadings until you're done with the race weekend.

Yoritomo

Shaneus said:
*sigh*

Weird I'm getting solid 60 fps at 5856 x 1080. It looks like they nailed sli support with it and triple screen from the get go. At least for me.

Yoritomo

If people are having trouble with nvidia sli I might suggest loading the beta drivers. 285.** It increased a lot of sli support for a wide range of games.

jambo

Can't wait to fire this up on Thursday, those screens look awesome!

Shaneus said:
That's the next plan, but it shouldn't have to be that way. There should be performance *gains* from using more than one card, not losses.

lol Crossfire

=P

Shaneus

Yoritomo said:
Weird I'm getting solid 60 fps at 5856 x 1080. It looks like they nailed sli support with it and triple screen from the get go. At least for me.
You're running dual Nvidia cards? That might be it then. What are your specs?

jambo said:
lol Crossfire

=P
STFU. At least I'm playing it :p

Fixed1979

Only managed to play for a little bit. Pretty pleased. One minor thing that I liked was the sound of the DRS being activated "wooosh!". And one big thing is to be finally be able to save the car. Maybe I was too shitty or slow for 2010 but it's so nice to now be able to recognize that the car is starting to get too loose and actually be able to bring it back. I was able to do that more often in 20 minutes of racing than I think I did all my time playing 2010. Fucking A. Can't wait for this weekend when everyone can get together.

Raudi

Shaneus said:
You're running dual Nvidia cards? That might be it then. What are your specs?

STFU. At least I'm playing it :p

I'm also getting solid 60fps with SLI - running @6040x1080 and all graphic options maxed out

I7 960 | 6GB DDR3 | GTX 590 | Vertex 2 SSD

InertiaXr said:
How is the new India circuit over a full race?
I'll try that now and let you know how it goes.

19Kilo said:
Hopefully someone mods in the in-helmet beep notification when DRS is available.

There's already a beep when you can use DRS in the race.

@orgun why are you using throttle & brakes deadzones?

Top Bottom