• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2011 |OT| Not bad for a number 2 game

Salacious Crumb

Oh god the driving feels sooooo good. The car feels so much more dynamic and progressive. No longer does it feel like there's some sort of arbitrary grip switch, and you can actually correct the car with just throttle and steering. Amazing!

First chievo I unlocked:

f1_20112011-09-2113-21q7un.png

dat opposite lock

19Kilo

Sleeplessnights said:
There's already a beep when you can use DRS in the race.
Is there? Sweet, maybe I need to check my sound settings or something.

Then again, both races I've tried so far were mostly wet and DRS was disabled for 90% of the time so I probably just didn't notice it yet.

Yoritomo

Shaneus said:
You're running dual Nvidia cards? That might be it then. What are your specs?

STFU. At least I'm playing it :p

SLI'd 580s

2500k at 4.7 ghz

8 gig ram

Although the game keeps locking up when I select return to garage while in a practice session so eh.

19Kilo said:
Is there? Sweet, maybe I need to check my sound settings or something.

Then again, both races I've tried so far were mostly wet and DRS was disabled for 90% of the time so I probably just didn't notice it yet.
Yep! You get a beep when you cross the DRS line and the DRS icon lights up in the HUD.

In cockpit view, is there any way to tell if your DRS is open? Is it if the green light is blinking?

Orgun

Sleeplessnights said:
I'll try that now and let you know how it goes.

There's already a beep when you can use DRS in the race.

@orgun why are you using throttle & brakes deadzones?
Heavy feet :)

HenryHSH

Yoritomo said:
Weird I'm getting solid 60 fps at 5856 x 1080. It looks like they nailed sli support with it and triple screen from the get go. At least for me.

Uh, is the HUD stretched though? I'm running 6032x1080 and the OSD is on the side screens and the menus are stretched.. :/

Chris R

dubc35 said:
I picked up my copy (ps3) at my local best buy this morning (seattle).
My best buy didn't :| Wasn't planning on buying it for a console, but I have reward zone points I need to use before the end of the month, and gift cards too. Figure I'd pick it up on PS3 and use my DFGT until my rig can run the game at acceptable settings.

JAFAR

For those of you with Fanatec Porsche wheels, I've found that the default control setup doesn't work well, and actually makes the car's turn-in feel somewhat numb. I've played around with the settings for the past few hours and I've found the best setup for me.

My control setup is below. This is for a 911 GT3 RSv2 wheel. Hopefully this can help any of you with Fanatec wheels.

Wheel Settings:

Fanatec Wheel S_1 setting
SEN - 270 degrees
FF - 100
SHO - 100
DRI - Off
ABS - 100
LIN - 0
DEA - 0
SPR - 0
DPR - 0

Game Settings:

Advanced Wheel Settings
Steering Deadzone - 0%
Steering Saturation - 25%
Steering Linearity - 0%
Throttle Deadzone - 0%
Throttle Saturation - 0%
Brake Deadzone - 0%
Brake Saturation - 0%

Force Feedback Options
Environmental Effects - 20%
Feedback Strength - 100%
Wheel Weight - 0%

Increasing linearity causes the rate of wheel turn-in to increase dramatically with each degree of the wheel controller turning. I found that keeping this at 0% allowed my wheel controller to respond 1 to 1 with the game's wheel turn-in. Increasing steering saturation to 25% with 270 degree wheel rotation restriction worked perfectly for me.

Hope that helps.

Salacious Crumb

JAFAR said:
Increasing linearity causes the rate of wheel turn-in to increase dramatically with each degree of the wheel controller turning. I found that keeping this at 0% allowed my wheel controller to respond 1 to 1 with the game's wheel turn-in. Increasing steering saturation to 25% with 270 degree wheel rotation restriction worked perfectly for me.

Hope that helps.

Yep, I settled on the exact same settings with my DFGT set to 270 degrees, except I have to set the brake deadzone to 5% thanks to my dodgy pedal.

Ravenn17

JAFAR said:
For those of you with Fanatec Porsche wheels, I've found that the default control setup doesn't work well, and actually makes the car's turn-in feel somewhat numb. I've played around with the settings for the past few hours and I've found the best setup for me.

My control setup is below. This is for a 911 GT3 RSv2 wheel. Hopefully this can help any of you with Fanatec wheels.

Wheel Settings:

SEN - 270 degrees
FF - 100
SHO - 100
DRI - Off
ABS - 100
LIN - 0
DEA - 0
SPR - 0
DPR - 0

Game Settings:

Advanced Wheel Settings
Steering Deadzone - 0%
Steering Linearity - 0%
Throttle Deadzone - 0%
Throttle Saturation - 0%
Brake Deadzone - 0%
Brake Saturation - 0%

Force Feedback Options
Feedback Strength - 100%
Wheel Weight - 0%

Hope that helps.

What kind of pedals are you using? I tried out my CS pedals, and the brake felt really unresponsive. I was either underbraking, or overbraking. Btw, wheel weight at 0%? Really?

LeBoef

JAFAR said:

Wheel Settings:

SEN - 270 degrees
FF - 100
SHO - 100
DRI - Off
ABS - 100
LIN - 0
DEA - 0
SPR - 0
DPR - 0

Game Settings:

Advanced Wheel Settings
Steering Deadzone - 0%
Steering Linearity - 0%
Throttle Deadzone - 0%
Throttle Saturation - 0%
Brake Deadzone - 0%
Brake Saturation - 0%

Force Feedback Options
Feedback Strength - 100%
Wheel Weight - 0%

Hope that helps.

dont have the game but i am curios about your settings.
abs 100... that just doesnt make sense.

abs should be set to the point, just before your tires lock. why would you go for 100?

JAFAR

Ravenn17 said:
What kind of pedals are you using? I tried out my CS pedals, and the brake felt really unresponsive. I was either underbraking, or overbraking. Btw, wheel weight at 0%? Really?

I have the CS pedals as well, but I adjusted the load sensor dial to about 50% and i can very easily modulate the brake force.

And yes, wheel weight at 0% feels perfect. There is still plenty of feedback in the wheel. Anything above 0% with my Fanatec wheel and it was extremely heavy, to the point of giving my shoulders a workout. Granted, I had to reduce the wheel weight to 0% in Dirt 3 as well.

JAFAR

LeBoef said:
dont have the game but i am curios about your settings.
abs 100... that just doesnt make sense.

abs should be set to the point, just before your tires lock. why would you go for 100?

If you're not used to the Fanatec controller settings it can sound strange. The ABS setting on the wheel is simply ABS vibration (two vibration motors in the wheel rim), not the actuation of ABS itself.

amar212

JAFAR said:
Anything above 0% with my Fanatec wheel and it was extremely heavy, to the point of giving my shoulders a workout.

You should try altering Drift settings to 5.

Drift mode is basically an artificial forced dampening of the wheel which is responsible for making all Fanatec wheels so heavy. When you put Drift on 5, you completely turn-off that artificial dampening and fully release the central axle of the power-pressure from the motors. When I discovered that by chance it totally changed my feeling for the Fanatec wheels in both GT5 and Forza 3.

After that you will be able to adjust both in-game settings of Environmental Effects and Wheel Weight at higher values and get much more information form the surface to your wheel.

Also, I am impressed by your 270 degree/25% saturation setting, that is some crazy turn-in speed there in theory. Notice you can apply more Linearity for more stability on the exits once you play the Drift setting.

Quote said:
In cockpit view, is there any way to tell if your DRS is open? Is it if the green light is blinking?

The green light blinking is the DRS activation indicator!

dinosaur_hunter2 said:
Thanks for adding me, pal! I'll get the game tomorrow only, unfortunately. But I'll play the hell of it :D

No problem! Hope we can get a few races before the league starts. :)

Orgun said:
Heavy feet :)

Ah, fair enough. :p

JAFAR

amar212 said:
You should try altering Drift settings to 5.

Drift mode is basically an artificial forced dampening of the wheel which is responsible for making all Fanatec wheels so heavy. When you put Drift on 5, you completely turn-off that artificial dampening and fully release the central axle of the power-pressure from the motors. When I discovered that by chance it totally changed my feeling for the Fanatec wheels in both GT5 and Forza 3.

After that you will be able to adjust both in-game settings of Environmental Effects and Wheel Weight at higher values and get much more information form the surface to your wheel.

Also, I am impressed by your 270 degree/25% saturation setting, that is some crazy turn-in speed there in theory. Notice you can apply more Linearity for more stability on the exits once you play the Drift setting.

Environmental Effects can definitely be increased to suit your taste. I'm playing with those at about 60% right now.

Personally, setting drift to 5 gives me the horrible GT5 wobble, where the steering wheel will start to rock side to side faster and faster if you take your hands off the wheel while driving in a straight line, even after altering the steering deadzone to try and eliminate it. It's not really my cup of tea.

amar212

You can try Drift 3 or 4 then, but Dirft setting is definitely the key for removing the "weight" issue.

I use 5 since it allows for the best feel of rotation. I drive with both hands though and wobble does not influence me to be honest.

Orgun

fresquito said:
Looks good. Kerbs should slide A LOT more. Basically, in F1, wet+kerb=spins.

That has happened a few times I just didn't record it or it wasnt in that footage, I've got like 100Gb worth of footage from last night to go through O_O

fresquito

Orgun said:
That has happened a few times I just didn't record it or it wasnt in that footage, I've got like 100Gb worth of footage from last night to go through O_O
What are you doing here posting then? Ò_ó

Good to know kerbs slide a lot.

Lucius86

Banned
Orgun said:

That's your punishment for VPN this baby early.

Crumbs, thanks for the vid on Monza :)

Orgun

fresquito said:
What are you doing here posting then? Ò_ó

Good to know kerbs slide a lot.
I'm stuck at work unable to play or edit video.

Speaking of editing video, anyone recommend some decent free software that's better than Windows movie maker :). I would like to make more F1 vids but I loathe that program

Lucius86

Banned
Orgun said:
I'm stuck at work unable to play or edit video.

Speaking of editing video, anyone recommend some decent free software that's better than Windows movie maker :). I would like to make more F1 vids but I loathe that program

Check your PM.

Shaneus

Is anyone having issues getting this to start up in DX11? I have RadeonPro running but the little splash image at the start always shows DX9 and the graphics don't look as purdy as everyone elses, even though it says it's DX11 in the menus.

Lach

Damn Steam corrected the countdown...until yesterday it said it would unlock tonight, but now it says 1 day 12 hours. I think I'm going to vpn-unlock it tonight...

HeliosT10

19Kilo said:
Hopefully someone mods in the in-helmet beep notification when DRS is available. I know where most of the detection and activation points are for most tracks but it can be hard to tell if you're actually within the one second window and you get to use it or not. The cockpit view doesn't seem to have any lights or anything for it.

Yes, this is in the game :)

I did think it was weird to have steam release the game everywhere on the US release date, the timer being constantly adjusted is one of those annoying steam things.

edit US not UK

1-D_FTW

Salacious Crumb said:
Oh god the driving feels sooooo good. The car feels so much more dynamic and progressive. No longer does it feel like there's some sort of arbitrary grip switch, and you can actually correct the car with just throttle and steering. Amazing!

First chievo I unlocked:

http://www.abload.de/img/f1_20112011-09-2113-21q7un.png[IMG]

dat opposite lock[/QUOTE]

Silly me, I spent my entire time in F1 2010 Gaf not knowing this. I had no idea you corrected spins by tapping the brakes. That's how I was playing the old game. Didn't realize this until after I quit. Nice to see the addressed that.

[QUOTE=Yoritomo]SLI'd 580s

2500k at 4.7 ghz

8 gig ram
[B]
Although the game keeps locking up when I select return to garage while in a practice session so eh.[/B][/QUOTE]

DX 11 bug. Been in Codemaster games since Dirt 2. No sense complaining to Helios, because they don't do anything with the info.

Only real answer is to go to the config and set directx9=True. Obviously means you're then running DX 9, but it's the only solution to be had if it affects you.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Lach said:
Damn Steam corrected the countdown...until yesterday it said it would unlock tonight, but now it says 1 day 12 hours. I think I'm going to vpn-unlock it tonight...

I'm keen to do that as well. The time to unlock is 12 hours away for me. What's even more ridiculous is that the street date has been broken here anyway. I wish I'd known that earlier and I would have bailed on the PC version and picked up a PS3 copy to play tonight.

Do you guys know of any tutorials on how to unlock Steam games via VPN?

Shaneus

1-D_FTW said:
DX 11 bug. Been in Codemaster games since Dirt 2. No sense complaining to Helios, because they don't do anything with the info.
Know what else is awesome about Codies? Their main discussion forum for all their games is undergoing maintenance for 12 hours or something right when they have a new game coming out. Last week? Nooo... do it right when one of their biggest releases of the year is due. SMH.

Shaneus said:
Know what else is awesome about Codies? Their main discussion forum for all their games is undergoing maintenance for 12 hours or something right when they have a new game coming out. Last week? Nooo... do it right when one of their biggest releases of the year is due. SMH.
to avoid day 1 complaints probably, scaring people off buying.

Amazing if the DX11 bug is still there, kind of glad that I have a dx10 card thus running in dx9 mode most of the time.

Lach

MoGamesXNA said:
I'm keen to do that as well. The time to unlock is 12 hours away for me. What's even more ridiculous is that the street date has been broken here anyway. I wish I'd known that earlier and I would have bailed on the PC version and picked up a PS3 copy to play tonight.

Do you guys know of any tutorials on how to unlock Steam games via VPN?

The way Salacious Crumb described it, you need to open Steam while connected to the VPN (US) and unlock the game. After that you need to run steam in offline mode until the official release. I don't know if GFWL causes any problems though...

Orgun

Lach said:
The way Salacious Crumb described it, you need to open Steam while connected to the VPN (US) and unlock the game. After that you need to run steam in offline mode until the official release. I don't know if GFWL causes any problems though...

It didnt cause me and Staab any problems over 3-4 hours last night.

I spent about an hour doing time trials in Melbourne yesterday and I already love the game. Using the DFGT and TrackIR, it really feels as if I'm sitting in the cockpit of an F1 beast. :D

I did encounter some minor problems though. First off, if you want to run the benchmark mode in the options with different graphics settings, you first have to set your graphics settings, then back out of the menu, then go back in and do the benchmark. Also, I can't seem to Alt-Tab out of the game, and it doesn't recognize my TrackIR recenter button, so I have to Ctrl-Alt-Del to the task manager, in order to make any changes.

What's much more annoying is that the game already locked up on me three times during the "loading ..." screen. Given the number of races I did, that's probably about 1 lockup in 6 loading screens right now. So far, it has affected the loading screen going from the main menu to the race, but also from the race back to the garage. Is this the DX11 bug you have been talking about?

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Lach said:

Brilliant, I can do that. Time to search for a free US VPN :D *puts on Hackers soundtrack*

Orgun

Quick Look time! Should be interesting

edit:

the_korben said:
I spent about an hour doing time trials in Melbourne yesterday and I already love the game. Using the DFGT and TrackIR, it really feels as if I'm sitting in the cockpit of an F1 beast. :D

I did encounter some minor problems though. First off, if you want to run the benchmark mode in the options with different graphics settings, you first have to set your graphics settings, then back out of the menu, then go back in and do the benchmark. Also, I can't seem to Alt-Tab out of the game, and it doesn't recognize my TrackIR recenter button, so I have to Ctrl-Alt-Del to the task manager, in order to make any changes.

What's much more annoying is that the game already locked up on me three times during the "loading ..." screen. Given the number of races I did, that's probably about 1 lockup in 6 loading screens right now. So far, it has affected the loading screen going from the main menu to the race, but also from the race back to the garage. Is this the DX11 bug you have been talking about?

Jealous

Top Bottom