• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2011 |OT| Not bad for a number 2 game

paskowitz

Dell Studio XPS 1647 cannot handle this game. Not even close. F1 2010 ran much better. I think F1 2011 is slightly less optimized because for me, 2010 runs at higher settings with a better frame rate. I have to turn everything to medium or below in order to get 30-40fps, if its raining I can only manage 25. I guess going from Crysis 1 (which ran like crap for me) to Crysis 2(runs great) kinda jaded me.

Anyone with lower level laptop ATi cards facing the same "problem"?

Frawdder

the_korben said:
I spent about an hour doing time trials in Melbourne yesterday and I already love the game. Using the DFGT and TrackIR, it really feels as if I'm sitting in the cockpit of an F1 beast. :D

I did encounter some minor problems though. First off, if you want to run the benchmark mode in the options with different graphics settings, you first have to set your graphics settings, then back out of the menu, then go back in and do the benchmark. Also, I can't seem to Alt-Tab out of the game, and it doesn't recognize my TrackIR recenter button, so I have to Ctrl-Alt-Del to the task manager, in order to make any changes.

What's much more annoying is that the game already locked up on me three times during the "loading ..." screen. Given the number of races I did, that's probably about 1 lockup in 6 loading screens right now. So far, it has affected the loading screen going from the main menu to the race, but also from the race back to the garage. Is this the DX11 bug you have been talking about?
This occured in Dirt 3 when using DX11 for some people.

Damn, I'm going to have problems I bet. Guess I'll find out in 11 hours.

brotkasten said:
Is that good or bad?
Vinny is the best guy on the site, Drew is someone who likes racing games.

If you want an in-depth F1 fans view stay away. GB isn't going to provide that! They know very little about the sport but they always do a QL of a game and are happy to admit they're not informed when it comes to F1.

Is is interesting to see how hard this stuff is to understand for someone who doesn't watch the sport.

Frawdder said:
This occured in Dirt 3 when using DX11 for some people.

Damn, I'm going to have problems I bet. Guess I'll find out in 11 hours.

I played Dirt 3 too and that never happend to me. Strange.

mclaren777

:)

ST6K2.jpg

1-D_FTW

There is an off chance I might have just figured this out. Was thinking about the issue this morning, thinking about another issue, and realized it made some sense. Not going to say what it is until I can really test it out later, but I think there's a 50/50 chance I've cracked the riddle. *fingers crossed*

Kyaw

Got my dispatch email from Play.com!

Should be here tomorrow or on release date. Either way, it's fine.

What times are you guys getting in Melbourne?

HenryHSH

Yoritomo said:
So I need to try running in DX9 mode to eliminate the crashing on load/save screens?

I'm having the same problem.

Also, you missed my last question:

HenryHSH said:
Uh, is the HUD stretched though? I'm running 6032x1080 and the OSD is on the side screens and the menus are stretched.. :/

Fixed1979

I meant to ask if anyone has a dead wheel when coming out of the pits. My very first time coming out of the garage my wheel didn't come alive until I hit the exit at which point I realized it was turned hard left and I cut across the track and into the opposite wall. It fucked me up one other time as well. I'm hoping there's a setting or something that can fix this...

1-D_FTW

Yoritomo said:
So I need to try running in DX9 mode to eliminate the crashing on load/save screens?

HenryHSH said:

For the time being, go to:

Documents - My Games - F1 2011 - Hardware Settings - (Open with Wordpad) Hardware_settings_config

Change - Forcedirectx9=true

Save.

Yes, this will force you into DX 9 mode and solve the loading crashes.

EDIT: Don't actually have F1 2011, but this is the file structure that Dirt 2/3/F1 2010 all have, so I'm assuming nothing has changed for 2011.

Orgun

Fixed1979 said:
I meant to ask if anyone has a dead wheel when coming out of the pits. My very first time coming out of the garage my wheel didn't come alive until I hit the exit at which point I realized it was turned hard left and I cut across the track and into the opposite wall. It fucked me up one other time as well. I'm hoping there's a setting or something that can fix this...
Yeah man I get that, properly threw me off! Thought my wheel had died

1-D_FTW

So disabling HPET on my motherboard didn't yield the results I'd hoped for. Seemed promising at first, but the issues are still there. Dirt 3 does seem slightly more stable, but it could just be the time of the day.

BUT (PREVIOUSLY)

On occassion, I think I've alt-tabbed fast enough to spot some anomolies with the Suckyrom .exe that runs. Not sure if this is part of the problem. Could be, maybe not. Since I almost never use my DVD, I've unplugged it.

I've also disabled - No Execute Memory Protect (last thing in BIOS it can possibly be). Figure if SuckyRom is the cause (And it only happens during loads, so I'm suspicious it's somehow involved), this protection could be the issue.

IF THAT doesn't work

http://community.codemasters.com/fo...dx-11-crash-reporting-thread.html#post7102296

Apparently Nvidia has been able to recreate load map crashes and some are saying the beta driver is correcting the issue. Kind of skeptical about this, but it's worth a shot.

This is the reply somebody got from Nvidia:

Thank you both for the additional feedback. I'll pass this info to our software team. Maybe they can observe the crash and determine what is causing this and pass along the results to the developers at Codemasters.

Thanks for all of the information you have provided. We were able to reproduce this issue now. Now it is going to the debug team to determine root cause and see if there is anything we can do or possibly help Codemasters with to resolve this issue. A couple of users on the guru3D thread you created reported it happens on ATI cards as well but most of the reports are on NVIDIA graphics cards.

Doesn't seem like it's been instituted yet, but maybe a solution is on the horizon.

And if ALL ELSE FAILS, there's apparently a low tech solution that doesn't require forcing DX 9:

This never occurs when you're running windowed. So you just alt-enter into windowed mode when you're in menus/loading and then alt-enter back to full screen when the race starts. Never thought of doing this before, but it makes sense. Because of a driver issue during the F1 2010 era, I was once forced to run in windowed mode when I wanted to race on my HDTV. There were never any crashes then. So it very well could be some kind of MS video DRM BS that causes this. Alt-Enter to windowed mode will get you past the nastiness.

It started raining at the beginning of Q2 in Shanghai so I went out to try and get a lap in quickly on the slicks, but I had hardly any grip so I went in and put on a set of inters. A couple of laps later and the track is pretty wet now. But somehow all of the AI have stayed out on the sticks and set some pretty fast laps. Even at the very end of the session, they're still on slicks and I'm struggling for grip on my inters. Am I that bad in the wet or are the AI using traction control or something?

Sleeplessnights said:
amar mentioned that he noticed that the AI was using traction control in the wets.

That's kind of annoying. They do seem to have almost perfect grip in wet conditions. And I haven't seen any of the AI even close to spinning out yet.

TheMan

Perhaps this has been answered (don't feel like trudging through 18 pages), but did they fix the problem in last year's game where an AI car's lap times were independent of where they actually appeared to be on the track?

Dilly

Banned
TheMan said:
Perhaps this has been answered (don't feel like trudging through 18 pages), but did they fix the problem in last year's game where an AI car's lap times were independent of where they actually appeared to be on the track?

Yup.

Yoritomo

HenryHSH said:

Oh sorry, no it's not stretched.

I have some weird stuff on load up where it renders the high horizontal rez on the main screen but compressed into the middle screen.

A quick alt+ enter then again fixes it.

This might be because I'm running Matrox Powerdesk.

UI and everything is perfect. Menus are all on the center screen, when you go into a race the HUD is centered.

Yoritomo

1-D_FTW said:
So disabling HPET on my motherboard didn't yield the results I'd hoped for. Seemed promising at first, but the issues are still there. Dirt 3 does seem slightly more stable, but it could just be the time of the day.

BUT (PREVIOUSLY)

On occassion, I think I've alt-tabbed fast enough to spot some anomolies with the Suckyrom .exe that runs. Not sure if this is part of the problem. Could be, maybe not. Since I almost never use my DVD, I've unplugged it.

I've also disabled - No Execute Memory Protect (last thing in BIOS it can possibly be). Figure if SuckyRom is the cause (And it only happens during loads, so I'm suspicious it's somehow involved), this protection could be the issue.

IF THAT doesn't work

http://community.codemasters.com/fo...dx-11-crash-reporting-thread.html#post7102296

Apparently Nvidia has been able to recreate load map crashes and some are saying the beta driver is correcting the issue. Kind of skeptical about this, but it's worth a shot.

This is the reply somebody got from Nvidia:

Thank you both for the additional feedback. I'll pass this info to our software team. Maybe they can observe the crash and determine what is causing this and pass along the results to the developers at Codemasters.

Thanks for all of the information you have provided. We were able to reproduce this issue now. Now it is going to the debug team to determine root cause and see if there is anything we can do or possibly help Codemasters with to resolve this issue. A couple of users on the guru3D thread you created reported it happens on ATI cards as well but most of the reports are on NVIDIA graphics cards.

Doesn't seem like it's been instituted yet, but maybe a solution is on the horizon.

And if ALL ELSE FAILS, there's apparently a low tech solution that doesn't require forcing DX 9:

This never occurs when you're running windowed. So you just alt-enter into windowed mode when you're in menus/loading and then alt-enter back to full screen when the race starts. Never thought of doing this before, but it makes sense. Because of a driver issue during the F1 2010 era, I was once forced to run in windowed mode when I wanted to race on my HDTV. There were never any crashes then. So it very well could be some kind of MS video DRM BS that causes this. Alt-Enter to windowed mode will get you past the nastiness.

I'm using the 285 beta driver released on the 13th, unless there are new ones I'm still getting crashes.

The problem with alt enter and then back to triple screen is that it resets the resolution to 5760 x 1080 instead of a res that takes the bezel into account... but if that's the price I have to pay.

19Kilo

Bungieware said:
That's kind of annoying. They do seem to have almost perfect grip in wet conditions. And I haven't seen any of the AI even close to spinning out yet.

Seems like maybe if the race starts in the wet they have accurate grip levels, at least on professional.

Just had a race that started full wet in Malaysia. I qualified 13th (on a dry track) in a Williams and got up to second on the first lap. I lost a couple places over the course of the race, but the AI's pace seemed right to me.

In an earlier race that started dry I wasn't able to keep up with them after it started to rain.

1-D_FTW

Yoritomo said:
I'm using the 285 beta driver released on the 13th, unless there are new ones I'm still getting crashes.

The problem with alt enter and then back to triple screen is that it resets the resolution to 5760 x 1080 instead of a res that takes the bezel into account... but if that's the price I have to pay.

Those are the drivers they were talking about. Figured it was just a couple people getting lucky with not crashing. Still a positive sign that it might be addressed in the future. And at least Nvidia is trying to work with Codemasters on it.

The alt-enter isn't the most elegant solution, and it definitely is less than ideal for your situation, but I'm definitely glad there's now some solution besides forcing DX9. Been driving me nuts for over a year now, so I'm just glad I can stop banging my head on it. *knock on wood*

amar212

19Kilo said:
Seems like maybe if the race starts in the wet they have accurate grip levels, at least on professional.

No way.

I had a 1.5 hours Practice session yesterday (professional AI, all assists off, wet setup, G25 on PS3) that started on full-wet and ended on Intermediates and times they were doing were absolutely ridiculous. I even opted to use Strong TC but there was no way on Earth I could even get close to laptimes of HRT and Virgin.

In the dry conditions everything is pitch-perfect, I can drive my Lotus slightly above times of other Lotus/Virgin/HRT and even cope with Williams for some instances. But in wet sessions everything tears apart.

Something is really problematic there.

Kyaw

Has Amar gotten the game yet? Nevermind...

His impressions are the best. I must have missed the post or he hasn't posted full impressions yet.

EDIT: We should probably disable the 8 AI for the championship if they are going to have crazy good traction in the rain...

gragy10

Steam pre-load still ticking down to unlock time..
..& then i get home to discover the physical PC version I pre-ordered 6 months ago has turned up from Coolshop.
Utter cretin.

amar212

Kyaw said:
Has Amar gotten the game yet?

His impressions are the best.

Haha, yeah, I got it, thank you for your compliment, much appreciated!

I did not write classic overview, because I had to take down my initial impressions of preview code where I talked about it. And when embargo for review codes was lifted, I was too mad at reviewers who didn't scratch anything below surface in order to find real achievements of the game.

It is by far one the best F1 games I have ever played - if not the best. Everything it does shows the level of attention and care for F1 fans and driving fans and am really amazed about overall quality of the game.

But the "wet AI traction" problem is currently making me crazy because it completely ruins my career mode :)

fresquito

amar212 said:
Haha, yeah, I got it, thank you for your compliment, much appreciated!

I did not write classic overview, because I had to take down my initial impressions of preview code where I talked about it. And when embargo for review codes was lifted, I was too mad at reviewers who didn't scratch anything below surface in order to find real achievements of the game.

It is by far one the best F1 games I have ever played - if not the best. Everything it does shows the level of attention and care for F1 fans and driving fans and am really amazed about overall quality of the game.

But the "wet AI traction" problem is currently making me crazy because it completely ruins my career mode :)
This is why I usually don't buy games on release. I hope they fix it soon. And by soon I mean before it releases in PAL land. Wishful thinking, too much? >_<

1-D_FTW

fresquito said:
This is why I usually don't buy games on release. I hope they fix it soon. And by soon I mean before it releases in PAL land. Wishful thinking, too much? >_<

GFWL only gives two patches before publishers have to pay. So, yeah, it won't be coming for a while. Gotta make patches count.

Salacious Crumb

amar212 said:
No way.

I had a 1.5 hours Practice session yesterday (professional AI, all assists off, wet setup, G25 on PS3) that started on full-wet and ended on Intermediates and times they were doing were absolutely ridiculous. I even opted to use Strong TC but there was no way on Earth I could even get close to laptimes of HRT and Virgin.

In the dry conditions everything is pitch-perfect, I can drive my Lotus slightly above times of other Lotus/Virgin/HRT and even cope with Williams for some instances. But in wet sessions everything tears apart.

Something is really problematic there.

Yeah it's definitely an issue. I was just running a wet qualifying session in Malaysia and nailed the perfect lap, right on the limit the whole lap, and I was still 3+ seconds off my team mate, and I know I'm good on that track :(

I love the fact that when you damage the front wing, you can hear the wind noise when you get up to speed due to the fact that the wing is not distributing the air around the car properly.

Also like how the entire screen shakes just a bit when you come in and out of a slip stream, very intense.

After tweaking the graphics setting like the OCD freak I am, I've found the best IQ/performance on my machine:

i5 2500k
gtx460 1 gig
4 gigs o ram

1080p
60 refresh rate
4x msaa
vsync on
dx11
shadows - med
partials - high
crowd - low
driver - ultra (gotta have those shiny helmets :p)
trees - med
car reflections - high
post processing - ultra
skid marks - on
cloth - high

Ran the in game bench mark with these setting 3 times in a row and all three times came out with min FPS 59/ max fps 60(confirmed with fraps), with minimal drops in the IQ.

I've also ran 70 some on laps in Australia with no dips.

I'll post some vids and pics when I get off from work.

Any G27 users here? Some guys in the official forum have massive problems with the game, using this wheel.

. It pulls you to one side, it shakes on straits, I'm going straight and it pulls me toward the grass, then on the turn it goes and comes in the turn, I'm always fighting it.

Can anyone confirm this issue?

evanylee

I don't think the computer listens to blue flags.

While in 2nd place, the always back runner Luizzi tried to block while turning into the last turn at Malaysia. I collide into him, rip off my wing, puncture my front left, and receive a penalty for unsportsman like conduct.

Is this how Lewis feels?

l.jpg

paskowitz

brotkasten said:
Any G27 users here? Some guys in the official forum have massive problems with the game, using this wheel.

Can anyone confirm this issue?

To an extent, I can. It is not horrible, but I do experience what is described.

fresquito

1-D_FTW said:
GFWL only gives two patches before publishers have to pay. So, yeah, it won't be coming for a while. Gotta make patches count.
Are you kidding me? I hated GFWL before I knew this. Why on earth do pubs use that pile of shit? This is infuriating, to say the least.

On the positive side, I gotta learn the tracks before i try to compete, even on dry. So it will not be a big issue for me in the meantime.

Az

Salacious Crumb said:
Here's a little 1 lap race around Monza just for laughs and to show off the handling. It starts off pretty great with an Alonso-esque getaway but it quickly falls apart on the back half of the track, I blame having to play it at 30FPS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdseasNgSLY
That's unrealistic. Webber didnt loose a spot at the start...
/troll

He's my fav btw

AcridMeat

Banned
evanylee said:
I don't think the computer listens to blue flags.

While in 2nd place, the always back runner Luizzi tried to block while turning into the last turn at Malaysia. I collide into him, rip off my wing, puncture my front left, and receive a penalty for unsportsman like conduct.

Is this how Lewis feels?

I had a similar situation happen to me. Trying to pass a backmarker and they swerved on a straight and forced me onto the grass while I was catching the person ahead.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Diablohead said:
AI blue flag and wet TC talk is making me a sad panda :(

Hope they patch that shit hard!

Same sentiments right here. My copy unlocks in half an hour (w00t). It looks like I won't waste my time with wet races just yet. Hopefully we won't have to wait until 2012 before wet races become playable for gamers that prefer to race with the TC off. I want my Kamui Kobayashi power-on-oversteer damnit. I've waited 12 long months for it and I'm not giving that up :)

Top Bottom