• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2011 |OT| Not bad for a number 2 game

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Shaneus said:
Ah, yup. Man, what I wouldn't have done to see Activision get the license and let Bizarre handle it again, just like the good old days. Can you imagine what they would have done? Out of the fucking park. Bug free. Attention to detail. Style up the wazoo.

Fucking Bizarre :(
Great, now I really am depressed.

If only Bizarre could have made the newest F1 games, we would have had.. well, awesome :(

Shaneus

Stop It said:
Great, now I really am depressed.

If only Bizarre could have made the newest F1 games, we would have had.. well, awesome :(
I just got all nostalgic in the AusGAF thread for Bizarre as well, given I'm playing Blood Stone.

Sorry guys :(

HeliosT10

Foliorum Viridum said:
http://community.codemasters.com/fo...99-online-pitlane-bug-fix-give-me-refund.html
http://community.codemasters.com/fo...than-help-us-codemasters-wants-ignore-us.html

In 2010 there was a pit bug with Force India that meant you couldn't pit as them without spending 1 minute in the pit. I started a campaign on the forums for Codemasters to fix it and had like a dozen accounts banned. I kept being IP banned and making new accounts etc. Eventually they admitted it was a huge bug they couldn't fix and it would be amended in 2011 so I accepted that and stopped (I was tweeting Force India etc to bring it to their attention).

Helios has been pretty cool about Lucius and I doing this OP so I'm not sure why they were so bad in that respect, it literally took me a dozen accounts and dozens more people supporting me for them to even acknowledge it existed.

Like I said, Helios has been good to Lucius and I so I don't want to be too critical, but I do still think they way Codemasters handled my topics was poor. I may have gone OTT, but it was because I was so frustrated with the issue and the fact they tried to ignore it. I never wanted to be a troll etc - I just wanted a big glitch fixed. I am a bit embarrassed reading some of the stuff I posted but at the same time I remember how frustrated I was and with the amount of bugs in 2011 I feel like Codemasters still have SERIOUS, reputation ruining PR issues.

So yeah, that's why I'm still IP banned. It's pretty stupid, but considering I spent 250+ hours in F1 2010 I feel I had the right to be mad about that glitch still.

I'm getting this checked out and if any bans still apply I'll get them removed. As far as I can tell the ban applied to your account should only have been a small temporary 3 day one.

Staab

Still nothing, but a small tidbit of info was released today concerning the patch :

I know a few of you were keen for this change to be made, so we're pleased to confirm that the upcoming patch will see the return of 30%, 40%, and 75% race distances.

I have to say that's pretty nice, was mind boggling why they removed it in the first place, but nice-

Juicy Bob

I think they removed them because they couldn't figure out how to program the tyre wear to suit those distances initially. They've obviously figured it out now.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Still no ETA on the patch.
Fucking amateurs. They should offer all of us free 2013 Season DLC.
Btw, this wreck of a release should be on history books for "how to kill an iP 101".

NHale

I have feeling they are waiting all this time because they want to fix "everything" they can/able to, because they don't want to pay to release a 3rd patch.

Meanwhile FIFA already received 2 or 3 patches and it was launched 1 week later.

1-D_FTW

Dash Kappei said:
Still no ETA on the patch.
Fucking amateurs. They should offer all of us free 2013 Season DLC.
Btw, this wreck of a release should be on history books for "how to kill an iP 101".

Good news is for them: Their license is almost expired. As long as it doesn't kill the 3rd year sales too much, I'm sure corporate will be just fine strip mining it like that. By the time even the most diehard of diehards has had enough, it'll expire and be somebody elses problem.

NHale said:
I have feeling they are waiting all this time because they want to fix "everything" they can/able to, because they don't want to pay to release a 3rd patch.

Meanwhile FIFA already received 2 or 3 patches and it was launched 1 week later.

Absolutely that's it. And even when it is ready, it likely won't get released on any platform (PC included), until the patch has passed certification with both consoles.

Shaneus

1-D_FTW said:
Good news is for them: Their license is almost expired. As long as it doesn't kill the 3rd year sales too much, I'm sure corporate will be just fine strip mining it like that. By the time even the most diehard of diehards has had enough, it'll expire and be somebody elses problem.
On that note, I hate what's happened to the WRC license :( (though from my understanding, WRC hasn't been much chop the last few years... I haven't been watching, at least)

remind me next year to buy F1 2012 6 months after release, I did that with 2010 (for £20 xbox) and while the pc version was the same price brand new this year I still feel burned while you can buy it cheaper right now, not that anyone should in it's current state.

The games been out like a month and a half now for christ sake, it's seems that a yearly update isn't sustainable for the amount of work needed to get these games finished for release. I wouldn't be surprised if the season was finished by the time this game is playable.

Thumbs up to the guy who said this was "how to kill an I.P 101". Spot on. Such a fucking shame :(

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Dash Kappei said:
LMAO still no signs of the patch

Fucking Codemasters and their fucking lies.
It's sad, but this thread has epitomized my response to F1 2011 and Codemasters in general.

I get a feeling that Codemasters themselves are just totally indifferent, and the only reason they are even bothering about a patch is because the community has jumped up and down so hard.

Again, I know I'm a broken record, but with developer openness comes good community relations, and Codemasters have again shown that they simply make games, and do not care about community relations.

I cannot threaten not to buy F1 2012, as I'm a Formula 1 fan and will follow wherever the games go, but I sincerely hope that the license goes to someone else. Anyone for a partnership between Simbin and Simply Mad Studios?

mxgt

Banned
Always-honest said:
so,.. sticking to 2010 is the best option right now? or...

The driving model is fantastic in 2011 but as has been outlined ITT there are a lot of problems with the game that still need patching

Juicy Bob

Stop It said:
Again, I know I'm a broken record, but with developer openness comes good community relations, and Codemasters have again shown that they simply make broken, incomplete games, and do not care about community relations.
Fixed.

Stop It said:
I cannot threaten not to buy F1 2012, as I'm a Formula 1 fan and will follow wherever the games go, but I sincerely hope that the license goes to someone else. Anyone for a partnership between Simbin and Simply Mad Studios?
That's the worst thing about all this. We have no other option. The F1 licence is so ridiculously expensive that there's no chance at all that a decent developer with real sim racing pedigree will ever pick it up and so we're left with CM and no other option. And as a lifelong die-hard F1 fan, I really just want an up-to-date F1 game to play every season.

I originally thought CM deserved a bit of slack with F1 2010, considering it was their first attempt. It was a good game, but the bugs both before and after the patch were pretty embarrassing. They couldn't possibly repeat that 2nd time round, could they? To be fair, they didn't. They got even worse. I can't believe they released the 2011 game (especially on PS3) in the condition it is in. To borrow Mr Hamilton's expression, it's an absolute frickin' joke.

There's a really good game in there, fighting desperately to get out. When it first came out, I was very impressed initially. The thrill of racing with that handling model against the more difficult AI. And then, the bugs started showing up:

-11/11 set up bug
-horrible frame rate and lack of anti-aliasing on PS3
-cheating AI in wet weather conditions
-Safety Car glitches
-completely broken penalty system
-major corner cutting problems
-rock-solid bollards
The list goes on.

And why is the patch taking so long? All I want to do is play the game without having these basic issues ruin the fun that can be had with it. I thought after last year, things were sure to be different this time around. But for the 2nd year in succession I've eagerly anticipated what I was led to believe would be a true F1 game for true fans and I've actually been left with zero desire to play it in its current state and a sense that I've been treated with utter contempt by the developers. I'm absolutely not going to make that same mistake next year, for sure.

Shaneus

Lets not forget the fact that the first patch that was released was for stuff they already knew about. Why not fix *those* things so you have two full patches to fix the game rather than one to finish so they can launch early and another for actual, game breaking issues? That's what shits me the most. Ship the game the best you can, then patch afterwards. Don't release something you know isn't done just because you think you can patch it later.

Gor@n

Neo Member
Still haven't played the game, figured i'd wait for the patch. Got a bunch of games to keep me busy. Hopefully it'll be out by the holiday period.

fresquito

Stop It said:
The fact that I like eating doesn't meaning I will be eating shit anytime soon. I like F1, but I also like being treated like a human being, instead of a cash machine. That's why I can say with a grin that I will never buy a Codemasters game again.

It's not only that they knew the clusterfuck they were releasing (there's no way they didn't know), it's that after realeasing it, they went silent and now primise a patch that never comes and who knows when will. And that patch must fix everything because they were stupid enough to go with GFWL, which is a retarded tool to begin with and nobody wants it in their game. And this again shows that they don't care about their customers at all.

So yeah, fuck them. Doesn't matter I'm a F1 fan at all. Just like I'm a fototball fan and I can get myself to play PES or FIFA because those are crap. I will continue enjoying F1 and football and play games that are worth my time.

Shaneus

Aspiring said:
I have to ask is the thread title in regards to what was said to mark webber?
Yes, however it seems that the game (and Codies) are performing much, much worse than Webber this year, even when directly compared to Vettel. Maybe picture Webber when he was with Minardi.

tirant

Bucket-o-roadkill said:
Hey.. I remember this game.

Been a while since I came here, is the patch out yet so the games playable? :(

Same here... I ve been thinking about getting it since it came out... but all the talking of bugs has make me doubt about the purchase :(

And the other release I was expecting to get, Skyrim, is also full of bugs in the X360 version.

NHale

The patch is done according to Steve Hood.

Where has this week gone? It's been crazy! At least the patches are done. Back in the office in a week. Jetting off somewhere soon...
http://twitter.com/#!/T4RG4/status/135037022309072898

If that indeed is true, the patch will be released in 2 weeks since that's the usual time for the Sony/MS certification, unless you're Activision and are able to release patches for COD in 1/2 days...

Jetting off somewhere soon? yeah I bet. Don't wanna be hanging around the office when the forums blow up over the latest bug ridden code. :( It's the fucking last race of the season in 2 weeks. I think a free download of 2012 cars and drivers is the LEAST they should do after this farce. then work all the way through on a 2 year cycle to get a FINISHED product for f1 2013.

I still look forward to playing 2011 once it's patched, but what a time to be updated when there are like 10 amazing other games coming out.

I still see 2011 selling in the charts, makes me upset that a lot of users out there don't see these problems or don't know about them until it's too late.

I'll definitely play, but this time last year I was 100+ hours into 2010 and our league was a few races in. There's no community on GAF for this game, even if you can guarantee for the 2010 vets to give it another go etc, and with BF3/MW3/Skyrim/Dark Souls etc my time is even more limited than it was last year.

It just feels like such a waste. I kinda regret putting so much time into the pre-league stuff since 75% of the people interested have now sold it/no motivation to play. On GAF, at least, this really has had a huge negative blow and the biggest patch in the world can't save that.

Shaneus

Foliorum Viridum said:
2 weeks would be December. Way too late.

Although it's already about 6 weeks too late.
The fact that it will only be (presumably) fully playable AFTER the 2011 season has completely finished is laughable.

Foliorum Viridum said:
It just feels like such a waste. I kinda regret putting so much time into the pre-league stuff since 75% of the people interested have now sold it/no motivation to play. On GAF, at least, this really has had a huge negative blow and the biggest patch in the world can't save that.
Really do feel for you on this one, dude. Even though my chances of being able to participate were sketchy at best due to the time zones, I did appreciate the effort you put in. With Codies being so positive and encouraging enough to gift you a game due to last year's efforts, hopefully the fact that GAF doesn't have an active 2011 league speaks volumes about what they've released. The fact that this is one of the biggest blockbuster end-of-year gaming periods for years doesn't help them at all (even though it should've motivated them in the first place).

And being the end of the year by the time it comes out, doesn't help when it becomes a busy time of the year for *everyone* outside of gaming, with Christmas around the corner AND holidays for Australians where a lot of people are nowhere near a computer/console.

SMH.

Juicy Bob

I was thinking, do you think we should make a new thread to highlight all the problems and bring GAF's attention to the fact this is the second year in a row this developer has, knowingly, released an incomplete game, gone AWOL immediately afterwards and offered minimal community support?

Angst

Juicy Bob said:
I was thinking, do you think we should make a new thread to highlight all the problems and bring GAF's attention to the fact this is the second year in a row this developer has, knowingly, released an incomplete game, gone AWOL immediately afterwards and offered minimal community support?
F1 2011 |OT| Pretty bad for a number 2 game - release a buggy mess at full price then drop it like it's hot

I think a change of the thread title is enough.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Angst said:
F1 2011 |OT| Pretty bad for a number 2 game - release a buggy mess at full price then drop it like it's hot

I think a change of the thread title is enough.
We asked for a title's change many many times before, but if the OP doesn't ask for it himself I doubt it'll ever happen.
The game has been a mess since launch and that was like 2 months ago... And yet we still have this (sadly ironic) thread title.
It's kinda telling seeing Lucius disappear from this thread, I think he's caught within two fires and while I know he's a good kid who was just genuinely excited for F1 2011, this, my friends, is why you should never get into close ties with the devs you're posting a vg's OT for before the game releases... especially if you're unwilling to risking pissing 'em off with telling it like it is (ie the game has been a travesty so far).
Don't accept "swag" and the game for free, 'cause it'll hunt you back and limit your freedom in the end.

Lucius and I have both been very vocal about how disappointed we are with the game. We accepted the swag because it was nice of Codies to acknowledge our work, but that doesn't mean we're now money hats. It was very cool of Helios to send that stuff to us, but I've said in this very thread they've also handled this REALLY badly and it's unacceptable the game is in this state.

Lucius has stopped posting in this thread mostly, I assume, because he's not actually playing the game. Either that or he's now played so much Skyrim he's actually had a seizure, the massive loser.

I don't see the need for a title change, honestly. What is that going to achieve? Everyone who is interested in the game has been visiting this thread and knows about the issues. The irony of the current title is quite funny and with a patch incoming the game might actually not be broken any more. If this was a bigger game like Battlefield 3 I can understand changing titles for patch updates etc, but on GAF this is a niche title and as such it seems like a waste of time PMing a mod to change the title. That's why I, personally, always took the suggestion to change the topic title as something that wasn't worth it. It won't make the game unbroken and the content of the thread has been overly negative (rightly so) as it is. It's not like someone can read this thread and think the game is in a playable state.

So yeah, Lucius and I are definitely not restricted just because we got a free copy of the game and a t-shirt, so please don't suggest otherwise.

Lucius86

Banned
Dash Kappei said:
We asked for a title's change many many times before, but if the OP doesn't ask for it himself I doubt it'll ever happen.
The game has been a mess since launch and that was like 2 months ago... And yet we still have this (sadly ironic) thread title.
It's kinda telling seeing Lucius disappear from this thread, I think he's caught within two fires and while I know he's a good kid who was just genuinely excited for F1 2011, this, my friends, is why you should never get into close ties with the devs you're posting a vg's OT for before the game releases... especially if you're unwilling to risking pissing 'em off with telling it like it is (ie the game has been a travesty so far).
Don't accept "swag" and the game for free, 'cause it'll hunt you back and limit your freedom in the end.
Bollocks to you - that offends me. Me accepting swag and a free copy of a game for my contribution to an OT has nothing to do with it. Don't reduce me to that level of accepting gifts in return for publicisng the game. I made the ot in a way that showed it was from a fan, not a pr machine driven OT. Look at uncharted 3 OT for that. The reason I do not post is because I lost interest in the game as it was broken - simple as that.

If you think writing a few emails is getting close to a dev, forget it.

I simply don't post on gaf much as I used to thanks to work as a contributing factor.

I have been very vocal on the game, maybe not here as much as others, but if you joined in on our gaming sessions you will know how upset I am online is broken. Silence speaks volumes. My silence shows I don't care enough to post unless my integrity is called into question.

I'm sorry, but your post really irked me. I got excited for the game and got letdown. But don't ever think I was hooked in just for getting a game for free.

NHale

Foliorum Viridum said:
I don't see the need for a title change, honestly. What is that going to achieve? Everyone who is interested in the game has been visiting this thread and knows about the issues. The irony of the current title is quite funny and with a patch incoming the game might actually not be broken any more. If this was a bigger game like Battlefield 3 I can understand changing titles for patch updates etc, but on GAF this is a niche title and as such it seems like a waste of time PMing a mod to change the title. That's why I, personally, always took the suggestion to change the topic title as something that wasn't worth it. It won't make the game unbroken and the content of the thread has been overly negative (rightly so) as it is. It's not like someone can read this thread and think the game is in a playable state.

So yeah, Lucius and I are definitely not restricted just because we got a free copy of the game and a t-shirt, so please don't suggest otherwise.

OTs change the title all the time, and right now this one says this game is "not bad" when in fact it's exactly the opposite. Honestly I don't see how I would be comfortable having my name associated to a topic with such misleading title.

Lucius86 said:
Bollocks to you - that offends me. Me accepting swag and a free copy of a game for my contribution to an OT has nothing to do with it. Don't reduce me to that level of accepting gifts in return for publicisng the game. I made the ot in a way that showed it was from a fan, not a pr machine driven OT. Look at uncharted 3 OT for that. The reason I do not post is because I lost interest in the game as it was broken - simple as that.

So you are pissed he implied you were influenced by PR but then accuse the person that created the Uncharted 3 OT? Yeah sure...

He means that our OT was an attempt to be a smaller, more personal one that focuses on the NeoGAF community. That's why half of it was about our league.

Compare these to the Assassins Creed: Revelations or Battlefield 3 OTs that look like they're PR driven. We're not accusing anyone of actually being PR mouthpieces, but there are a lot of OTs that look like it so it's pretty ironic we're getting accused of that when we created it with the intention of focusing on the GAF community more than anything.

NHale

Foliorum Viridum said:
He means that our OT was an attempt to be a smaller, more personal one that focuses on the NeoGAF community. That's why half of it was about our league.

Compare these to the Assassins Creed: Revelations or Battlefield 3 OTs that look like they're PR driven. We're not accusing anyone of actually being PR mouthpieces, but there are a lot of OTs that look like it so it's pretty ironic we're getting accused of that when we created it with the intention of focusing on the GAF community more than anything.

If that's what he meant, I stand corrected. There is nothing that can be compared with that AC: Revelations "OT"...

Lucius86

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:

Just re-quoting this as he speaks the truth. If any of you think I believe otherwise, you are flat out wrong and I can't be bothered to argue my point.

I am not accusing the UC3 OT of anything, just using it as an example of a PR driven OT. ours clearly was not, so yeah, you must be pretty dim if you think I was in it purely for the swag.

Edit: just read your update nhale - glad you see where I am coming from - structuring paragraphs on a phone isn't easy.

Angst

Lucius86 said:
Just re-quoting this as he speaks the truth. If any of you think I believe otherwise, you are flat out wrong and I can't be bothered to argue my point.

I am not accusing the UC3 OT of anything, just using it as an example of a PR driven OT. ours clearly was not, so yeah, you must be pretty dim if you think I was in it purely for the swag.

Edit: just read your update nhale - glad you see where I am coming from - structuring paragraphs on a phone isn't easy.
If I remember correctly you got the game and a t-shirt? Throw in a coffee mug and some stickers perhaps, but I'd be infinitely surprised if something as small as that made you guys hype the game. My view has always been that you guys are as disappointed as the rest of us.

Why does the lack of posting mean someone is sticking up for the game? If a game is broken and unappealing to play, it shouldn't be a surprise that people who were once interested lose their hype. Its not like people are in here wearing their F1 2011 caps and T-shirts saying 'guyz guyz, you're wrong the game is AWESOME!!!! Buy it!!'.

Angst said:
If I remember correctly you got the game and a t-shirt? Throw in a coffee mug and some stickers perhaps, but I'd be infinitely surprised if something as small as that made you guys hype the game. My view has always been that you guys are as disappointed as the rest of us.
Game, t-shirt, scarf and two wristbands. Like I said, very generous and I have been wearing the t-shirt around uni on days when I'm a lazy bastard, but like you said - not nearly enough to sway me in any way.

If Helios wants to hook me up with a date with Mark Webber, on the other hand, I'd be happy to do all of the damage control in the world.

Orgun

God dammit stop updating this thread with useless info! Keep thinking the patch has been released when I see this at the top of my sub feed. :)

Even then, the lure of multiplayer F1 couldn't drag me away from Skyrim at the moment.

Top Bottom