• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2011 |OT| Not bad for a number 2 game

Massa

Sleeplessnights said:
Doesn't explain why they don't have more than 2 patches on the PS3!

They could release a bunch of small patches or two big patches, either way the amount of time (money) spent on fixing this game is probably the same regardless.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Love how Helios disappeared and even had the stomach to call out on people on this thread who where telling how Codemaster's support was (and still is) non-existant, CM are really not far off from being fucking thieves.
Never buying a CM game ever again, they simply don't fucking deserve the money. Scammers.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Dash Kappei said:
Love how Helios disappeared and even had the stomach to call out on people on this thread who where telling how Codemaster's support was (and still is) non-existant, CM are really not far off from being fucking thieves.
Never buying a CM game ever again, they simply don't fucking deserve the money. Scammers.

I have to agree. This is becoming a terrible pattern. First Dirt 2 then F1 2010 then Dirt 3 now F1 2011. Their reputation is gonna take a HUUUGE hit in the long term just watch.

fresquito

A mod should change the title to something like F1 2011 OT | Not bad for a beta gone gold. Or the most realistic: F1 2011 | Avoid this turd at all costs.

Shaneus

I've had no problems with Dirt 2 or 3, even performance wise my Crossfire setup seems to suit D3 perfectly. Yet, a game running on the same fucking engine is a right bitch to get running properly on the same PC. If I want DX11, I have to disable Crossfire then delete a config file. If I want Crossfire, I have to live with DX9 (even though it says DX11 in the menu) AND pathetic Crossfire scaling. If I want decent performance, I have to disable Crossfire AND use DX9 AND wind settings back massively, whereas D3 would run at almost full detail without a hitch.

Angst

I'm sorry to say that I agree with you guys. Never buying a CM game again. If they only want to release two patches they'd better make sure the game is as close to bug free on release as possible.

Snowballo

Could you tell me what are the problems (the one you're talking about in this thread) you can have playing F1 2011 in single player on console (X360)?
Thanks.

NHale

Dash Kappei said:

I will never forget Codemasters PR saying that Dirt 3 had a lot more rally tracks and no dudebro talk.

Game came out and rally stages takes 1m30s to complete and it has more dudebro talk than ever before (and unskippable bro talk in the fucking menus!!!). And I loved the excuses they made up for all the problems in F1 2010, everything was because "the license don't allow it". Funny how the license agreement remains the same, but this year they were able to have safety car and 2 cars of the same team in MP. Fucking liars.

Orgun

Its such a shame because when your racing and you don't encounter any bugs, it's fantastic! Then you hit an invisible wall, don't have a penalty applied, unfairly penalized, car blows up for no reason, stuck on geometry, randomly disconnected, unable to connect, race in the wet, race against 11/11 players, AI doesn't pit, OR your 30 hour save game corrupts...twice - well it just shits on the experience and makes you give up.

Those are just a few bugs off the top or my head, fix this shit!

1-D_FTW

Dash Kappei said:

That's his MO.

I've been meaning to create an account on their forums and upload a video I created.

Despite playing 7 hours after the first patch came out (without a crash and thinking the game was fixed), I now cannot literally boot the game.

I get a loading hang at the exact same spot in the process. Here's the kicker:

If I load normally and load into Live, I crash just after it asks you to hit Start on the Menu.

If I don't log into Live, it doesn't hang and I can load in without problem.

If I log into the menu of F1 2011 bypassing Live, and then try and log into Live after its loaded, I still crash after being resent to the Start menu and hitting Start on my G27.

Conversely, I accidentally discovered I can log into F1 2011 while using Live if I unplug my G27 from the USB port (and I've tried every single USB port on my computer).

But if I try logging into Live (so I can use my Saves and Profile) and keep my G27 plugged in (so I can have fun), I have a 100 percent success rate at creating crashes at the exact same spot.

Cleary Live is a part of this issue. Although it does seem to go away/become reduced if a wheel isn't plugged in.

And, yes, I'm up-to-date with all my drivers. Latest Nvidia driver, Logitech Drivers, Windows 7 updates, etc. Nothing more to be done.

Here's my video (taken with a camera, since I didn't know of any software that would allow direct capture and wasn't buying FRAPS when it would just be ignored by them anyways):

It's crash, crash, load with Live disabled (then load Live and crash), crash, load with Live disabled (then load Live and crash), crash:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzFwIoOKOvE

Orgun

1-D_FTW said:
That's his MO.

I've been meaning to create an account on their forums and upload a video I created.

Despite playing 7 hours after the first patch came out (without a crash and thinking the game was fixed), I now cannot literally boot the game.

I get a loading hang at the exact same spot in the process. Here's the kicker:

If I load normally and load into Live, I crash just after it asks you to hit Start on the Menu.

If I don't log into Live, it doesn't hang and I can load in without problem.

If I log into the menu of F1 2011 bypassing Live, and then try and log into Live after its loaded, I still crash after being resent to the Start menu and hitting Start on my G27.

Conversely, I accidentally discovered I can log into F1 2011 while using Live if I unplug my G27 from the USB port (and I've tried every single USB port on my computer).

But if I try logging into Live (so I can use my Saves and Profile) and keep my G27 plugged in (so I can have fun), I have a 100 percent success rate at creating crashes at the exact same spot.

Cleary Live is a part of this issue. Although it does seem to go away/become reduced if a wheel isn't plugged in.

And, yes, I'm up-to-date with all my drivers. Latest Nvidia driver, Logitech Drivers, Windows 7 updates, etc. Nothing more to be done.

Here's my video (taken with a camera, since I didn't know of any software that would allow direct capture and wasn't buying FRAPS when it would just be ignored by them anyways):

It's crash, crash, load with Live disabled (then load Live and crash), crash, load with Live disabled (then load Live and crash), crash:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzFwIoOKOvE
I get that same bug, the only way I've found to get around it is to remove your save file. Which is why I believe it is save game corruption :(

I installed this the other thursday like I said I might and played a few races, I have to say it does have some nice improvements over 2010 but, maybe because I am not use to it yet, but the cars turn in way too easily now, I brake a lot less then in 2010 and some old corners I can now take flat out, feels weird.

Visuals on pc are quite nice, this game on my setup actually runs at 50-60fps this time around! 2010 would bounce between 30 and 50 and be all over the place, I still get some random 10fps stutters every 10 minutes or so but I can bare it, it's half as bad as it was in 2010.

The lighting seems to be less technical then in 2010 also, it needs some AO or something, mods can help with this hopefully.

Not run into many bugs yet but I have only played it for like 2 hours, forza 4 has taken over my life.

Orgun said:
Its such a shame because when your racing and you don't encounter any bugs, it's fantastic! Then you hit an invisible wall, don't have a penalty applied, unfairly penalized, car blows up for no reason, stuck on geometry, randomly disconnected, unable to connect, race in the wet, race against 11/11 players, AI doesn't pit, OR your 30 hour save game corrupts...twice - well it just shits on the experience and makes you give up.

Yeah I was doing laps around India last night and it felt so fucking good.

It's probably the best driving model I've ever experienced in a game. Trouble is, everything around that driving model is utterly fucked. I would love to get our league going, have some really close races etc etc, but of course that is literally impossible when 50% of the time, if not more, you can't connect to a game. Then when you do connect you get the random bugs you just mentioned.

I don't want to give up on the game because the OP should be proof of how much I was looking forward to it, but at this point I can't see the game ever being patched enough for us to even have a league. How depressing is that?

FGMPR

Banned
I'm not surprised to hear about another hit and run Codemasters shitfest. They are the lowest of the low in treating their customers with a lack of respect, imo. Dragon Rising's bait and switch campaign from that snake oil salesman Sion Lenton was enough to turn me off this company for life.

They are all too happy to promise the world, release unfinished games, never patching their mistakes and lying about their intentions every step of the way. They are a developer with plenty of talent working for them, but they are rotten to the core.

Orgun

Foliorum Viridum said:
Yeah I was doing laps around India last night and it felt so fucking good.

It's probably the best driving model I've ever experienced in a game. Trouble is, everything around that driving model is utterly fucked. I would love to get our league going, have some really close races etc etc, but of course that is literally impossible when 50% of the time, if not more, you can't connect to a game. Then when you do connect you get the random bugs you just mentioned.

I don't want to give up on the game because the OP should be proof of how much I was looking forward to it, but at this point I can't see the game ever being patched enough for us to even have a league. How depressing is that?

Want to have another crack at co-op this week? Maybe with me hosting you won't experience the random phantom walls on track. Who knows! It's like playing russian roulette.

Orgun

Foliorum Viridum said:
Yeah sure. I'll be up for it tonight if you want?

This weekend and next weekend I have stuff planned for my 21st so can't do it then.
Won't be home until near midnight tonight, tomorrow?

1-D_FTW

Orgun said:
I get that same bug, the only way I've found to get around it is to remove your save file. Which is why I believe it is save game corruption :(

Good grief. That worked. Thanks.

I'd pay Codemasters 50 bucks to tell me why the save file works, though, if I didn't plug my G27 into the USB slot. Oh, wait, I already gave them 50 bucks for this:(

My new nuclear proof rule: Any game that uses GFWL is absolutely off the table until it's sub-10 dollars.

Codemasters and GFWL is such a horrible combination. It creates bugs only these two partners could create.

I don't think it's fully GFWL's fault, it's just how codemasters do things which does it.

But I say this as someone who has had near zero problems with the service on pc and own about 15 gfwl titles.

I've never had a GFWL issue, either.

Must have a dozen games that use it. I really like GFWL, in fact. The only problem I've ever had was the corrupt saves in 2010 (not got it in 2011... yet).

Juicy Bob

Orgun said:

I agree with this post 1000%.

HeliosT10

Dash Kappei said:

Big strong that, I can't recall 'calling anyone out'?

I'd love to post in here more often but our official forum/twitter/facebook pages are taking up a lot of my time atm, as is liasing with the devs and QA constantly about various issues reported by players and getting fixes sorted. If you want to catch up on the latest developments then you can see my post history on our official forums at the below link.

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/search.php?searchid=7198238

A 2nd patch is being worked on as we speak, however there's no ETA yet as we're trying to cram as much as we possibly can into it. When the patch has finished its testing and we've verified that the fixes we're putting in place work, then I'll get a fix list posted up here for you all to see.

amar212

Helios_CM said:
A 2nd patch is being worked on as we speak, however there's no ETA yet as we're trying to cram as much as we possibly can into it. When the patch has finished its testing and we've verified that the fixes we're putting in place work, then I'll get a fix list posted up here for you all to see.

This is great news, thank you for this announcement.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Helios_CM said:
Big strong that, I can't recall 'calling anyone out'?

I'd love to post in here more often but our official forum/twitter/facebook pages are taking up a lot of my time atm, as is liasing with the devs and QA constantly about various issues reported by players and getting fixes sorted. If you want to catch up on the latest developments then you can see my post history on our official forums at the below link.

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/search.php?searchid=7198238

Won't get into internet fights, it's just a couple of pages back if you really don't remember about doing that.
We'll see about the patch if it comes out soon and how good it is, heard too many promises before to just believe that flat out, I sure hope so since right now your game is just a coaster to me and thousand others. Wanting to cram as much as possible in the 2nd patch (if there won't be a third I hope cause everything's fixed and not beause GFWL means you'd have to pay for it) means nothing for your customers who've been left in the sand, that's only good for CM so who gives a damn? every other dev would've put out 3 or 4 patches in the meantime to at least render the game playable, so I can't believe I'm expected to be happy the team is working very hard to fix as much as possible all in one patch and who cares if it takes ages, right?
Call me back when the game is worth the money, as it is CM owes me big time.
*Nothing* personal of course, you just happen to represent the company.

1-D_FTW

Dash Kappei said:
Won't get into internet fights, it's just a couple of pages back if you really don't remember about doing that.
We'll see about the patch if it comes out soon and how good it is, heard too many promises before to just believe that flat out, I sure hope so since right now your game is just a coaster to me and thousand others. Wanting to cram as much as possible in the 2nd patch (if there won't be a third I hope cause everything's fixed and not beause GFWL means you'd have to pay for it) means nothing for your customers who've been left in the sand, that's only good for CM so who gives a damn? every other dev would've put out 3 or 4 patches in the meantime to at least render the game playable, so I can't believe I'm expected to be happy the team is working very hard to fix as much as possible all in one patch and who cares if it takes ages, right?
Call me back when the game is worth the money, as it is CM owes me big time.
*Nothing* personal of course, you just happen to represent the company.

One of the many reasons GFWL is so awful.

And Helios, I hope you saw my above post and passed it on. There's no way a "GFWL save crash" should work with my G27 unplugged and crash at loading when the G27 is plugged in. There is some serious conflict going on between Live and USB for something that bizarre to be occurring. Had to nuke the save file since playing without the G27 wasn't an acceptable option. I'm 100 percent convinced the loading crashes are also related to this.

Helios_CM said:
A 2nd patch is being worked on as we speak, however there's no ETA yet as we're trying to cram as much as we possibly can into it.

Oh god no, seriously?? Can't you guys just fix the damn 30 second reset timer in the online lobby for starters and get that out the door before rewriting the entire game!? Please?

It's totally ruining the online experience, potentially leaving you in the online game room for hours on end, how did that slip through any sort of game testing?

Nabs

Bucket-o-roadkill said:
Oh god no, seriously?? Can't you guys just fix the damn 30 second reset timer in the online lobby for starters and get that out the door before rewriting the entire game!? Please?

It's totally ruining the online experience, potentially leaving you in the online game room for hours on end, how did that slip through any sort of game testing?

Seems like the norm when it comes to GFWL titles. Gotta pack in a ton of fixes, and wait weeks for the patch to get certified. Sucks =\

Angst

I feel so bad for Lucius, FV and all the other guys that enjoyed F1 2010 and had started planning season 2 but had to abandon it all due to the games current state. It's a damn shame :/

Orgun

Angst said:
I feel so bad for Lucius, FV and all the other guys that enjoyed F1 2010 and had started planning season 2 but had to abandon it all due to the games current state. It's a damn shame :/

Tell me about it :( I honestly can't see the 2nd league taking off now and that REALLY bums me out. Oh well at least there's still C.A.R.S. to play about with.

Getting all you can into one patch = longer time to do so, longer the game is broken, signs that we will doubtfully see a 3rd patch.

This stuff should have been done before release, some of these bugs seem so damn obvious after playing for about 2 hours.

I want a league, too. The game is fantastic, even on the PS3 (where I'm playing it on), but those bugs really need to be sorted out SOON. The driving model is amazing, one of the best (if not the best) ones I have ever experienced. F1 2011 really deserved better care.

If connection errors, 11/11, invisible barriers, better penalties etc are fixed I think we could still have a fun league.

I do, however, think that it will be less amazing than last year. The game is lacking that community which made 2010 so great.

Angst

Foliorum Viridum said:
I'd still be up for trying a league but half the people have got refunds off Steam etc.

Nearly all enthusiasm for the game has been killed.
How did they get refunds? If I can get a refund I will. I'd much rather rebuy it CM fixes it and you guys tells me it has improved a lot.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Foliorum Viridum said:
I'd still be up for trying a league but half the people have got refunds off Steam etc.

Nearly all enthusiasm for the game has been killed.
It's tragic really.

I'm a big enough F1 to buy the games regardless, but I will be telling everyone on the fence to avoid F1 2012 at this rate. The game is a farce at this point, and the fact that Codemasters have took nearly a month to say "we're working on a patch, but we cannot tell you what is even being looked at to fix yet" is pretty sad.

1-D_FTW

I don't know how the fuck people got refunds through Steam. They must spend a lot of money and Valve just decided to comp them one. All I got was form responses about drivers blah/blah that totally ignored the broken things I pointed out.

Lucius86

Banned
Angst said:

These things happen. Did we get ahead of ourselves? Yeah. But from what I played, I had no idea online would be so broken. I doubt anyone did - we expected a step forward, not backwards.

Tbh there are too many other games that demand my attention more than F1 2011 now (including CARS) - CM seriously need to dump GFWL. Why they haven't already is beyond me, but this decision has made updating the game a pain, which has meant us nutters who loved the potential of the game lost out.

To be honest, I really don't think GFWL is affecting Codemasters' approach to patches all that much. The team is only so big, and the more time they spend patching 2011, the less time they have to work on 2012.

The crux of the issue seems to be Codemasters not wanting to invest any more money into the project than necessary. Without GFWL, sure, the working going into the second patch may well have been split into more frequent, smaller patches, but we all know the second patch isn't going to be a proper catch-all fix, and I don't think the case would be any different without GFWL.

Shaneus

rogue_pigeon said:
To be honest, I really don't think GFWL is affecting Codemasters' approach to patches all that much. The team is only so big, and the more time they spend patching 2011, the less time they have to work on 2012.

The crux of the issue seems to be Codemasters not wanting to invest any more money into the project than necessary. Without GFWL, sure, the working going into the second patch may well have been split into more frequent, smaller patches, but we all know the second patch isn't going to be a proper catch-all fix, and I don't think the case would be any different without GFWL.
Trying to spit out a game like this annually when the franchise is in such an infancy was a massive mistake. Might've been easy back in the days of original FIFA and Madden on the MD, but with a game like this you need a fucking solid foundation to build upon. Would've been far better if we had F1 2010, a $15 roster/skin update for 2011 and a solid basis for 2012. Instead, they leave a relatively unpolished 2010, an even worse 2011 and not exactly a solid basis for the coming game.

The fact that the first patch released was a cleanup of bugs they knew existed even though the game went gold speaks volumes.

How much longer do Codies have the license for?

deim0s

My first entry into a CM game is GRID, too bad the two patches thing is a process they would continue to do.

Was excited with my F1 2011, but shelved it for the meantime - not even giving it a full career run. Unlike 2010, which I did 3 years before giving in to the hype of 2011. :/

ksimm

Such a shame, played for 2 days and gave up with all the stupid crashes, pauses, etc.
I really hope they fix it, maybe I will return to it next Spring after BF3, Skyrim, Zelda, Saints Row 3, Uncharted 3, Mario 3D, Mario Kart 3D, Batman, AC Revelations, SWTOR etc...

Shaneus said:
How much longer do Codies have the license for?

3 years and a 4th optional one.

2009, 2010 and 2011. No word if Codies got the 2012 deal or not.

I await an F1 game made by Polyphony. Such a glorious day that would be.

Sleeplessnights said:
3 years and a 4th optional one.

2009, 2010 and 2011. No word if Codies got the 2012 deal or not.

I await an F1 game made by Polyphony. Such a glorious day that would be.

If Codemasters had any decency left they wouldn't take that option up. I couldn't bare a fourth straight shitfest, they should just concentrate on Dirt/Grid/new ip and leave the F1 license to someone who cares for it.

Polyphony and F1? lol, no thanks. Activision needs to bankroll Grand Prix 5 and let :bow Sir Geoff Crammond :bow save us from this Codemasters nightmare.

Wax Free Vanilla said:
Polyphony and F1? lol, no thanks. Activision needs to bankroll Grand Prix 5 and let :bow Sir Geoff Crammond :bow save us from this Codemasters nightmare.

I don't see any problem with Polyphony making an F1 game.

I'd imagine anything is better than what we're enduring at the moment.

Top Bottom