• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2011 |OT| Not bad for a number 2 game

iIHwYZhIm00HS.gif
This is brilliant. I will use it in the future!

What's the best way to record?

PS. I hope I can finally put my demons behind me regarding the performance of this game on my rig. 30fps will have to do, hopefully it doesn't affect my starts. Depending on the overhead, I'll try and record as well, but can't make any promises.
FRAPS is pretty much your best option. It's CPU intensive to record, however, so if you're getting 30fps you might not have much luck. I can maintain 60fps with max settings if I record at "half resolution", so give that a try. Recording at full resolution will rape your framerate unless you turn down your resolution. For league races I will be playing at 720p and recording at full resolution because 90mins of constant recording is a lot and I don't want to stress my CPU too much.

Also, for new page:

race-1---australiajfcp8.png

The 2011 FIA season may be wrapped up, but that was only the warm-up for the NeoGAF F1 2011/2012 League. Although Lucius86 was well and truly the Sebastian Vettel of our previous league, with a bigger grid and nine new drivers it's going to be closer than ever. Rumour around the paddock is that Lucius wasn't confirmed to be signed up to the 2011/2012 championship until last week! Have the new DRS and KERS system been too much for the defending champion to master or will he start the league where he left off last year?

Whereas political turmoil delayed the start of the FIA championship, technical issues are to blame for the late start of the league. Several teams have had issues getting to races, preventing their cars from mysteriously falling apart and the lucky ones whom did have a working car suffered poor performance. Thankfully, the extended R&D period has allowed each manufacturer to "patch up" their issues and we're assured that all 16 cars will make it to the grid at Melbourne. Unfortunately, one issue that made was by this patch was communication. Many drivers have complained that the communication system to other drivers and the pit wall has been disrupted since the patch, so this year teams have decided on using Mumble for voice chat. Details on Mumble can be found here.
Please note: All radio messages are being recorded and the most erotic may be broadcast on the TV broadcast.

Due to anti-European bias from the American and Austrialian drivers in the previous league, this year the teams have been decided randomly since team orders and racism are strictly banned within the league. The results of the draw can be seen in the table below.

Following the unpopular choice of the "Legard League" name last year, the organisers have looked back to the founder of the NeoGAF league and dedicated it to the user Leunam. Leunam has recently faced claims that he's abandoned the NeoGAF league due to increased popularity in the "Off-topic" forum and a higher paycheck from the FIA, however despite this controversy the organisers felt it was important to recognise the founder of the league. "Alliteration is always good and it was either him or Lucius, so you know, we were put between a rock and a hard place," one organiser was quoted as saying in the tabloids after a twelve hour binge.

teamsdye1u.png

schedulevscff.png

• Saturday December 3rd, 4:30GMT
  • Qualifying will take place immediately before the race.
  • All drivers are asked to get to the paddock 10 minutes early.
  • A Steam chatroom will be open before, during and after for all drivers and groupies.
  • Top three drivers are asked to attend the press conference after the race for brief questions.
  • Please ensure you have fellow participants on Games for Windows Live, the official sponsor of the NeoGAF league.

Please note: Due to the delayed start, the rest of the calendar for the league is not yet decided. The full schedule should be arranged by the next race.

Special thanks:
Kyaw for the graphics.
Helios for the cheques.

Orgun

Nice work guys, really looking forward to getting into the league again. Looks like my my first race will be a hungover one, hopefully I make it to the lobby early this time and not bang on time like my last hungover race where I could barely steer the damn thing cos of the shakes! :)

Got my game reinstalled and connected to a few multiplayer games fine, looks like my 'kicked and banned' problem has been fixed

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Ok, I miss a couple of days because my net decides it really doesn't want to work and I end up with Lucius, at RBR?

Oh...Christ.

Well, see you lot on Saturday then, eek!

Orgun

Ok, I miss a couple of days because my net decides it really doesn't want to work and I end up with Lucius, at RBR?

Oh...Christ.

Well, see you lot on Saturday then, eek!

Want to get some practice in this evening? Online GAFFER only lobby set to a long weekend

Shaneus

I'll be up for that. Back from uni about 6pm :)

And Stop It, as Lucius' teammate you're our only hope. You know what to do. WINK WINK.
I heard Stop It was having gearbox problems!

PS. What was the deal with the anti-Euro hate in the last league? I didn't think there were any Australians around except for myself and one or two others.

Juicy Bob

Fellow non-Traction Control users: How do you get a good start without bogging down with excessive wheel-spin? I play with a group of mates online quite frequently (most of whom use TC) and I find that if I try and use the same starting technique online that seems to work offline against the AI, I get left behind. Is there a 'best' way to get a jump off the line?

Shaneus

Fellow non-Traction Control users: How do you get a good start without bogging down with excessive wheel-spin? I play with a group of mates online quite frequently (most of whom use TC) and I find that if I try and use the same starting technique online that seems to work offline against the AI, I get left behind. Is there a 'best' way to get a jump off the line?
Not Mark Webber's way.

Kyaw

This is the biggest problem I'm having, I try to compensate for the wheel spin by not stamping down on the accelerator and I still get shitty starts.

Love the GIF, SunhiLegend!

Mad_Ban

Just pin it off the start at full throttle. Once you get into second gear it regains traction, then use some KERS.

Not sure how this works with different setups to mine :p

PS. What was the deal with the anti-Euro hate in the last league? I didn't think there were any Australians around except for myself and one or two others.

Does any of that post read as serious to you? ;)

The Leunam part is true though. Glory hunter.

Orgun

think im gonna have to drop my resolution down so I can record without losing any FPS, already dropped the vid quality to HIGH and I get about 45 recording.

Lucius86

Banned
For the starts, be in 7th gear, and drive away.

Best starts. Promise.

Also: The league should be called the Lucius86 league. Fucking bias to Leunam right there.

2nd Edit: I just received my £100,000 grant from Codies. Thanks Helios.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Want to get some practice in this evening? Online GAFFER only lobby set to a long weekend

Sure, I hope my connection will work, as today is the date my connection is set to go to ADSL 2+, so it might randomly stop, hopefully.

Lifting on gear 2 and 3, and 4, and 5 and....oh crap I've accidentally hit Lucius, Ooh dear!

Lach

yeah I'd be up for that too. Is dynamic joining of a session in progress possible during practice?

@FV
I haven't used mumble yet but don't we need something like a server/channel? It says nothing in the OP.

Mad_Ban

For tonights practice what race length are we running, and where at?

It's not a big deal really, I just don't want to end up hating Melbourne after Saturday :p

Also, to the regulars from last season, how did you cope with the 100% races? I've tried doing some and I was getting serious boredom issues after 40%. It's gonna be interesting to see if I can handle it. D:

First gear until 80 kph then shift to second gear, wait until it glows red then shift to 3rd then use KERS. Always gets me the best starts against AI and online.

Orgun

yeah I'd be up for that too. Is dynamic joining of a session in progress possible during practice?

@FV
I haven't used mumble yet but don't we need something like a server/channel? It says nothing in the OP.

There's a F1 2011 room on the GAF mumble server.

Kyaw

It's not a big deal really, I just don't want to end up hating Melbourne after Saturday :p

Also, to the regulars from last season, how did you cope with the 100% races? I've tried doing some and I was getting serious boredom issues after 40%. It's gonna be interesting to see if I can handle it. D:

Try like 30% for tonight's race?

Orgun

Talking...a lot :) Nah after awhile you get into a rhythm and start trying to improve your lap inch by inch. Fun but very exhausting, can't imagine how tired the real drivers are after a race!

For our practice session i'd say go Short race weekend, 50%? That allows people to get some setup modification done in practice, blast out some fast laps in quali and get used to fuel loads in the race.

Orgun

50% is the distance for the real race - and we can't do practice online. So it will have to be quali then race.

Wait whaaat? You can't do practice online? Rubbish, i'm fine with 20-30%. I'm gonna go sulk in a corner now, no practice online!? Really?

HeliosT10

For the starts, be in 7th gear, and drive away.

Best starts. Promise.

Also: The league should be called the Lucius86 league. Fucking bias to Leunam right there.

2nd Edit: I just received my £100,000 grant from Codies. Thanks Helios.

*Tips hat* ;)

On a serious note though It's great to see the Gaf championship starting up again. Like last time we'd be more than happy to supply some prizing during the championship, as well as at its conclusion.

Good racing fellas!

Eh, won't be around for saturday's race, have to leave at 6pm my time, no use racing 30mins in quali only :(
At least one stand-in driver needed then, folks! Turn up if you want to get a slot.

Also, Staab, did you like your flag on that table? ;) I couldn't resist!

@FV
Join the GAF Mumble server and there's loads of different rooms, including an F1 2011 one. Just go in there :)

100% with AI must be hell. It was tough at times with real people. Like Orgun said, it was all about the banter and trying to constantly improve lap over lap, manage tyres, keep the concentration up etc.

It was a challenge and there was some boredom, but overall I loved it. I won't try a 100% league again but if people are interested I'd definitely be up for some on a few occasions :)

I need food and then I'm ready for racing whenever tonight!

Staab is actually Swiss, but I called him a Swede one day to annoy him and it's stuck ever since.

Edit: No, wait, it's the right flag. Kyaw why did you put his right flag? :( You're no fun!

Orgun

Man that Melbourne/Monza Bug was weird. You guys started talking about wet setups and I was like "WTF?"

Won't be able to cut the footage till the weekend though.

Hahaha that was so weird. Best bug ever.

I kinda wish i'd kept all the footage I recorded now, bored with nothing to do.

gragy10

Gah - SSD failure means I'm out the league until I can get a replacement up & running
Video highlights have looked ridiculous fun and i finally have my steering wheel :(

Before the game came out we had a full grid on the PS3 league, now I only got 6 confirmations.

If anyone is interested in the PS3 league PM me your PSN or write it down here. We need as many people as we can before we can start.

HenryHSH

Looks like I won't be able to make the first race, or any race this season. No way I'm racing at 8:30 PM on a Friday night.

Top Bottom