• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2011 |OT| Not bad for a number 2 game

I'm happy to act as a stand in if needed. I'll be available probably 50% of the time, but it really depends on what time/day Spurs are playing.

Orgun, Speech and I just had an amazing scrap in Canada. So glad I recorded it. Gotta edit that vid together later.

When this game is working, fucking hell, it's so good.

Some top races there tonight fellas. This has gone from unplayable to fucking spectacular.

I still think the penalty system is messed up, though. Corner cutting is too harsh (half the time I was just skidding/crashing when I got them) and the contact warnings/penalties often come up when someone rams straight into me.

Lach

Haha, My first online race and it has to be Istanbul. A cirquit I have neither raced before or even watched a race on tv. Towards the end I was able to keep the pace of the one ahead of me, even though I was over a minute behind.

Monza was a disaster. I was underestimating the chicanes big time and got disqualfied in the end after too much corner cutting.

In Montreal I missed turn 4 completly and went straight ahead into the wall. :)

I need to learn the tracks before I'll be able to be competitive but I'll get there.

I didn't have much choice, I wasn't sure how much room they'd give me and I wasn't going to give up on that move ^_^

I avoided losing my wheel like Massa, at least!

Mad_Ban

Highlight of the night was my duel with FV at Spa. Was a shame I span out chasing him around the second half of the circuit but it was a good laugh.

Shaneus

So I've fired this up in prep for next weekend, and I still can't fucking use DX11 with Crossfire enabled. At all. And the game still runs like arse most of the time.

So. Goddamned. Frustrating.

And with the chances of a third patch coming out to fix anything being slim to fuck-all, I'm definitely pegging this as my last Codies game.

However, I'll still brave out the comp, even if it is at 30fps and only using one GPU... just to be with you guys <3

It's fucking scary just how much Petrov's situation with Renault feels like mine with Codemasters.

Lucius86

Banned
So I've fired this up in prep for next weekend, and I still can't fucking use DX11 with Crossfire enabled. At all. And the game still runs like arse most of the time.

So. Goddamned. Frustrating.

And with the chances of a third patch coming out to fix anything being slim to fuck-all, I'm definitely pegging this as my last Codies game.

However, I'll still brave out the comp, even if it is at 30fps and only using one GPU... just to be with you guys <3

It's fucking scary just how much Petrov's situation with Renault feels like mine with Codemasters.

We were having a debate last night on how you pronounce your name - what is it? I say Sh-nay-us. Or is it Shane-us?

mxgt

Banned
Glad online got fixed. Unfortunately I work nights so I won't be able to race at convenient times but I hope the league goes well :)

Shaneus

We were having a debate last night on how you pronounce your name - what is it? I say Sh-nay-us. Or is it Shane-us?
FV had it spot on. I was actually pleasantly surprised he got it right! It's basically just "Shane" with an "us" at the end. Like Seamus, but with an "n".

Anyone have any idea on settings I can pull back on my PC to retain the highest IQ but drop CPU usage to get some sweet 60fps action? Currently I get a flat 30fps (average around 40 w/ vsync off) with everything max running one 5850. Currently using Ultra settings, highest everything.

Yeah it really shows how much we all cut corners in a video. In the race it feels like I'm just clipping the kerb, it's often wayyy more than that, haha.

I think it's because you're in that moment where you're being chased or chasing someone else and you're focused on them more than the corners. I recorded a few Melbourne laps yesterday and they were really clean, but as soon as I'm racing I get a bit sloppy.

Orgun's the same because whenever I'm behind him there's ALWAYS dirt being kicked up into my face, haha. Not that I'm behind him lots the slow bastard.

Lucius86

Banned
It's a gentleman's agreement NOT to corner cut. If I were to corner cut in a league race, and that sector I was up by like a second, I would purposefully drop a second in the next sector.

It is only fair.

GAME SAVE GOT CORRUPTED - FOR FUCK SAKE CODIES.

Oh for christ sake, really? They managed to fix the corrupting issue last year didn't they? It's ridiculous enough that it would return this year, but for it to remain after two patches?

I've not had a chance to play post-patch yet (and I've only done a few 20% races since the first patch), but have any of the career or fuel niggles been tweaked by either patch? (I know they weren't covered in the patch notes)

For example: not being able to decline career contract offers (you can only ignore them), and 'optimum' fuel level actually meaning, 'SON, YOU'RE FUCKED'

Staab

It's a gentleman's agreement NOT to corner cut. If I were to corner cut in a league race, and that sector I was up by like a second, I would purposefully drop a second in the next sector.

It is only fair.

It's really not that big of a deal, if you're under windows 7, chances are you can just recover your save folder to a previous date (i.e. yesterday).
If you can't, tough luck (I hope you backed up your settings at least) but, eh, who cares about single player anyways.

HenryHSH

Are we making a separate league thread?

Do we have a set list of races yet? If not, I'll vote for the following:
Melbourne
Monte Carlo
Spa
Suzuka
Interlagos

No separate thread and I'll work on a way to organise a poll for tracks easily after the first race

Monaco will be one of the tracks, however. It was mental last year and great fun. Have to do it again!

Speech

Some more great racing tonight.

I'm quite happy that my game crashed as Monaco was loading though, you lot got through a hell of a lot of front wings!

AcridMeat

Banned
Yep bad penalty, but I'm not surprised it was given. They don't keep track of the orientation of the cars, so in their system you cut the corner to pass someone.

Sucks but yeah. :/

I know it's only a small thing but it made me stop playing tonight. I was having a really good time trying to catch Kyaw and then the game ruined any chances of that battle resulting in a positive outcome for me.

The best aspect of this game, and 2010 before it, was knowing when you made a mistake or pushed the car too far. I'm fine with that, I can smash into a barrier over and over and keep on playing. It's just really frustrating to have the game penalise you for something you didn't do and I think it's even worse in this game than it was 2010.

It's pretty much my only gripe post-patch, but it's quite a big one.

It's all in that vid. A guy spun, was facing the wrong way, I cut the corner slightly as I swerved to avoid him (even slowing down beforehand) and got a penalty for it.

Staab

There's always the possibility of playing without the penalty system and self-policy the races but then we would need to force everyone to record and post their races :p
Or you can play with reduced rules, but in your case I'm not sure it would have changed anything.

At least with the first option you can always revert a penalty (time penalties) and make things right post-race.

Lucius86

Banned
Some more great racing tonight.

I'm quite happy that my game crashed as Monaco was loading though, you lot got through a hell of a lot of front wings!

How rude. I didn't go through any at Monaco. Because I own that track LIKE A BOSS.

However, I am still struggling for raw pace. I end up in a better position than my PB lap times warrant I'm more consistent, but I still have absolutely no faith to push the car like I could in F1 2010.

Kyaw

How rude. I didn't go through any at Monaco. Because I own that track LIKE A BOSS.

However, I am still struggling for raw pace. I end up in a better position than my PB lap times warrant I'm more consistent, but I still have absolutely no faith to push the car like I could in F1 2010.

I'm finding it a lot easier to push the car in terms of aggressive curbing but the weight transfer has a greater effect on the car's stability than the first game.

For the coming week, we should do qualifying and 20% races to practice the tracks.

AcridMeat

Banned

This is where I'm at. I find myself being much more consistent but definitely holding back a bit for it. I still need to get used to where the limit is on chucking the cars into corners. I've been experimenting with it in career mode but I just end up spinning when it really feels like I shouldn't be, compared to last year. It's not a bad thing, just need more practice.

I'm surprised I've adapted so quickly to the game since a few of you are struggling. I have a lot more faith in the car because of the extra feedback you get. I'm already performing much better than I did in 2010.

Right, so I've finally had a chance to apply the second patch. Here is my experience so far:

• Patched. Booted. Loaded a short GP weekend. Lowered off the jacks in practice. Crashed.
  • Booted. Reloaded the short GP weekend. Crashed (while loading).
  • Booted. Loaded time attack. Did a few laps. Quit to main menu. Crashed (while loading).

I'm done.

Right, so I've finally had a chance to apply the second patch. Here is my experience so far:

• Patched. Booted. Loaded a short GP weekend. Lowered off the jacks in practice. Crashed.
  • Booted. Loaded time attack. Did a few laps. Quit to main menu. Crashed (while loading).

I'm done.

glad to hear that I am not the only one with the lowering jacks = crashing problem, I have to bypass the animation for a race to begin without hanging but the main problem is I can't do pratice laps or quality from a real pit exit due to that bug.

such annoying shit, this never happened before the latest update so they cocked up yet again rushing out this fix.

Kyaw

I'm done.

Have a go at deleting your save file and try again.

Top Bottom