• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2011 |OT| Not bad for a number 2 game

Speech

glad to hear that I am not the only one with the lowering jacks = crashing problem, I have to bypass the animation for a race to begin without hanging but the main problem is I can't do pratice laps or quality from a real pit exit due to that bug.

such annoying shit, this never happened before the latest update so they cocked up yet again rushing out this fix.

Is this problem related to this at all?

PC - Can't Drive Out of Garage Fix

Orgun

Had a blast doing co-op today. Even though I got very unluck in both the races me and Staab did.

Qualified on pole at Spain

Finished 21st! Fucking HRT back markers /grumble

So glad this is working again now and that me and Staab were able to continue our co-op through his save (mine got corrupted).

Shaneus

Well, I've somewhat worked out why the game is running like complete shit. It's not due to the graphics at all, it's due to pathetic optimisation which seems to lump far too much onto the CPU and not enough on the GPU.

Full graphics settings, single card (disabling Crossfire) and a benchmark results in ~50-60% GPU usage yet 80-90% on EACH CORE of my Core2Quad Q9550 running @ 3.8GHz. Lowering graphics options doesn't seem to have much effect, I think I'm going to need as clean an install as possible for Windows, with zero apps and see if that makes a difference in reducing the overhead (although at the moment, there's not all that much that could be giving me grief in the first place).

No driver updates in the world from AMD could fix that shit. It's all on Code"masters".

AcridMeat

Banned
Right, so I've finally had a chance to apply the second patch. Here is my experience so far:

• Patched. Booted. Loaded a short GP weekend. Lowered off the jacks in practice. Crashed.
  • Booted. Reloaded the short GP weekend. Crashed (while loading).
  • Booted. Loaded time attack. Did a few laps. Quit to main menu. Crashed (while loading).

I'm done.

I had the crashing problem with going off the jacks too. I selected flying lap in my practice instead so it forced a different loading screen and that worked. Can't comment on the others, sucks.

As does the optimization. :(

gragy10

Well, I've somewhat worked out why the game is running like complete shit. It's not due to the graphics at all, it's due to pathetic optimisation which seems to lump far too much onto the CPU and not enough on the GPU.

Full graphics settings, single card (disabling Crossfire) and a benchmark results in ~50-60% GPU usage yet 80-90% on EACH CORE of my Core2Quad Q9550 running @ 3.8GHz. Lowering graphics options doesn't seem to have much effect, I think I'm going to need as clean an install as possible for Windows, with zero apps and see if that makes a difference in reducing the overhead (although at the moment, there's not all that much that could be giving me grief in the first place).

No driver updates in the world from AMD could fix that shit. It's all on Code"masters".

I hear this loud & clear - I'm running a 580GTX and an x4 965BE and my framerate is averaging 40fps regardless of what gfx settings i use

Mad_Ban

Have an inkling I won't do well in the league if my internet stays as shite as it is. Combined with the games decision to randomly disconnect in MP :p

Mad_Ban

Some really good racing tonight guys. Me and Lucius hit a few more times than I would have hoped (all my fault though) and we were having a good scrap in Suzuka before Mumble killed my net...AGAIN. :p

Anyone get any vids?

Kyaw

Had a really good race at Suzuka and Brazil tonight!

I was fucking stupid so I pitted on the second lap of safety car...

Good fights with Lucius in the rain at Spa, Speech at Brazil and quite a number of people on Suzuka.

Oh and this ruined my Monaco race:

A Renault appears out of nowhere!
Renault used block. It's SUPER EFFECTIVE!

Some really good racing tonight guys. Me and Lucius hit a few more times than I would have hoped (all my fault though) and we were having a good scrap in Suzuka before Mumble killed my net...AGAIN. :p

Anyone get any vids?
I'm editing my vids now. Will post when it's uploaded to Youtube :)

It was really fun tonight. Some good scraps and a lot of good laughs on Mumble with Lucius and Crumbs - more people should come in! It's a bit distracting but good banter adds to it for me.

The last few nights have been some really close racing, so it was quite nice to have a bit more of a crazy night. My highlight was wrecking Lucius in Brazil and bringing out the Safety Car! :D

Salacious Crumb

It was really fun tonight. Some good scraps and a lot of good laughs on Mumble with Lucius and Crumbs - more people should come in! It's a bit distracting but good banter adds to it for me.

The last few nights have been some really close racing, so it was quite nice to have a bit more of a crazy night. My highlight was wrecking Lucius in Brazil and bringing out the Safety Car! :D

What is the name of your best friend from childhood? youtube wants to know before it'll let me log in

Orgun

Absolutely gutted that I missed last night :(

Staab I should hopefully have the game redownloaded tonight if you want to try and finish our next co-op race this evening.

Lucius86

Banned
Some really good racing tonight guys. Me and Lucius hit a few more times than I would have hoped (all my fault though)

Proof right there kids I am awesome.

More proof I am awesome.

Had a really good race at Suzuka and Brazil tonight!

I was fucking stupid so I pitted on the second lap of safety car...

Good fights with Lucius in the rain at Spa, Speech at Brazil and quite a number of people on Suzuka.

Even more proof I am just plain awesome.

Proof you and Crumbs are twats.

That is what we all found out last night ladies.

Lach

So a few questions to the pros since I keep lacking 1-2 seconds per lap and keep spinning.

1. The way I approach a turn is: Breaking, going off the break before steering (or I'd lock up), going into the apex rolling (little breaking/accelerating if needed), slowly start applying throttle when coming out as to much will result in spinning. [edit] Forgot to pose a question so: Is this more or less correct?

2. Would softer breaks prevent me from locking up when breaking/steering at the same time?

3. What settings do you guys use on your steering wheels (angles, linearity, deadlocks etc.)

Lucius86

Banned
So a few questions to the pros since I keep lacking 1-2 seconds per lap and keep spinning.

1. The way I approach a turn is: Breaking, going off the break before steering (or I'd lock up), going into the apex rolling (little breaking/accelerating if needed), slowly start applying throttle when coming out as to much will result in spinning. [edit] Forgot to pose a question so: Is this more or less correct?

2. Would softer breaks prevent me from locking up when breaking/steering at the same time?

3. What settings do you guys use on your steering wheels (angles, linearity, deadlocks etc.)

I'm still shy on raw pace compared to some here (unlike 2010, where I was at the front most of the time) - but yes, you need to prepare the car going into the corner moreso than ever now. If you have the wrong line, speed, and direction going in, you will be slow braking, not maximise apex speed and you will be later on the throttle exiting a corner.

Slow down for the corner first, then turn in, keeping the same speed, then only apply throttle when you know you won't need to take it off. Jackie Stewart school of training I try to learn from.

Be careful applying throttle on the exit with the wheel turned. I think this is something I am still struggling with, but you will easily spin out if you accelerate too early. Be gradual with the acceleration.

Locking brakes is a mixture of too high a braking pressure applied by yourself, braking too late and also car setup. Try cadence braking - pump the brake pedal so you don't put 100% force all the time. Remember the brake pedal is analogue :)

For steering wheel, I have everything at 0%, and make sure the steering wheel override is correct.

F1 2011 is not a sim, but it isn't an arcade game either, so a mixture of the above will help.

Orgun

So the IceMan is back in F1 and he's at Renault....Staab did you know this beforehand? We are driving for Renault and your nickname ingame is IceMan.

You downshift quicker than the car brake. It's different to what I do, but not necessarily wrong.

Ahh yeah. I find it easier to do it quickly because I can count them better, I suppose. I occasionally downshift one too many times because of it, but not a lot.

It's probably not the best way to do it, but it works for me.

Ahh yeah. I find it easier to do it quickly because I can count them better, I suppose. I occasionally downshift one too many times because of it, but not a lot.

It's probably not the best way to do it, but it works for me.

I've got to a point where I gear shift without counting, that's why it seemed a bit strange to me.

Like I said, it's not wrong. Just different.

Staab

So the IceMan is back in F1 and he's at Renault....Staab did you know this beforehand? We are driving for Renault and your nickname ingame is IceMan.

Damn right son, I'm so psyched about Kimi's return, haha gooooo iceman !!

PS: I'm not sure at what time I'll be on tonight but if I am, I will be on steam and we can continue our CO-OP session.

Hardan, Phleg, ctw0e, Speech

What are your nationalities? Cheers :) Kyaw and I are going to do the pre-league post soon, need to know.

Edit: I got Hardan, ctw0e and Speech's from your XBL profiles :)

Manik

I'm still shy on raw pace compared to some here (unlike 2010, where I was at the front most of the time) - but yes, you need to prepare the car going into the corner moreso than ever now. If you have the wrong line, speed, and direction going in, you will be slow braking, not maximise apex speed and you will be later on the throttle exiting a corner.

Slow down for the corner first, then turn in, keeping the same speed, then only apply throttle when you know you won't need to take it off. Jackie Stewart school of training I try to learn from.

Be careful applying throttle on the exit with the wheel turned. I think this is something I am still struggling with, but you will easily spin out if you accelerate too early. Be gradual with the acceleration.

Locking brakes is a mixture of too high a braking pressure applied by yourself, braking too late and also car setup. Try cadence braking - pump the brake pedal so you don't put 100% force all the time. Remember the brake pedal is analogue :)

For steering wheel, I have everything at 0%, and make sure the steering wheel override is correct.

F1 2011 is not a sim, but it isn't an arcade game either, so a mixture of the above will help.

Cheers Lucius, that's actually a really big help! I'm in a similar position - Just not 100% confident in the car; knowing when to brake, turn in, re-apply throttle to do it without ending up spinning horribly. Hopefully it'll all come together with some practice.

In the meanwhile, if any of the regulars have any hints or tips they'd like to share, I'm all ears!

race-1---australiajfcp8.png

The 2011 FIA season may be wrapped up, but that was only the warm-up for the NeoGAF F1 2011/2012 League. Although Lucius86 was well and truly the Sebastian Vettel of our previous league, with a bigger grid and nine new drivers it's going to be closer than ever. Rumour around the paddock is that Lucius wasn't confirmed to be signed up to the 2011/2012 championship until last week! Have the new DRS and KERS system been too much for the defending champion to master or will he start the league where he left off last year?

Whereas political turmoil delayed the start of the FIA championship, technical issues are to blame for the late start of the league. Several teams have had issues getting to races, preventing their cars from mysteriously falling apart and the lucky ones whom did have a working car suffered poor performance. Thankfully, the extended R&D period has allowed each manufacturer to "patch up" their issues and we're assured that all 16 cars will make it to the grid at Melbourne. Unfortunately, one issue that made was by this patch was communication. Many drivers have complained that the communication system to other drivers and the pit wall has been disrupted since the patch, so this year teams have decided on using Mumble for voice chat. Details on Mumble can be found here.
Please note: All radio messages are being recorded and the most erotic may be broadcast on the TV broadcast.

Due to anti-European bias from the American and Austrialian drivers in the previous league, this year the teams have been decided randomly since team orders and racism are strictly banned within the league. The results of the draw can be seen in the table below.

Following the unpopular choice of the "Legard League" name last year, the organisers have looked back to the founder of the NeoGAF league and dedicated it to the user Leunam. Leunam has recently faced claims that he's abandoned the NeoGAF league due to increased popularity in the "Off-topic" forum and a higher paycheck from the FIA, however despite this controversy the organisers felt it was important to recognise the founder of the league. "Alliteration is always good and it was either him or Lucius, so you know, we were put between a rock and a hard place," one organiser was quoted as saying in the tabloids after a twelve hour binge.

teamsdye1u.png

schedulevscff.png

• Saturday December 3rd, 4:30GMT
  • Qualifying will take place immediately before the race.
  • All drivers are asked to get to the paddock 10 minutes early.
  • A Steam chatroom will be open before, during and after for all drivers and groupies.
  • Top three drivers are asked to attend the press conference after the race for brief questions.
  • Please ensure you have fellow participants on Games for Windows Live, the official sponsor of the NeoGAF league.

Please note: Due to the delayed start, the rest of the calendar for the league is not yet decided. The full schedule should be arranged by the next race.

Special thanks:
Kyaw for the graphics.
Helios for the cheques.

Mad_Ban

Really nice intro FV! Is there any recap of last season available?

Won't be able to make it onto the Mumble. Keep on experimenting with different settings and I just keep getting booted off. :(

I'll be talking to myself in the GFWL/in-game chat most likely over the hour and a half we're racing. :p

No real recap, I'm afraid, other than this video I made of our general 2010 stuff.

Most of the good racing in that clip comes from the league races :p Last year was the first time, though, so if this league goes well which I hope it will I'm sure I'll put together a nice recap of it :)

I encourage as many people to record as possible! We had about 4 people doing it last year and it was great. The more the merrier.

Shaneus

What's the best way to record?

PS. I hope I can finally put my demons behind me regarding the performance of this game on my rig. 30fps will have to do, hopefully it doesn't affect my starts. Depending on the overhead, I'll try and record as well, but can't make any promises.

AcridMeat

Banned
That gif/preview. Good work fellows. We've come a long way in a little over a year eh?

What's the best way to record?

PS. I hope I can finally put my demons behind me regarding the performance of this game on my rig. 30fps will have to do, hopefully it doesn't affect my starts. Depending on the overhead, I'll try and record as well, but can't make any promises.
I know most (all?) use Fraps. Test it out beforehand.

As for the frames, I have a shit connection so I always get the lights out last. :)

Top Bottom