• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2011 |OT| Not bad for a number 2 game

race-banner18rno.png

The first round was difficult on the teams as a series of technical errors meant that only half the cars managed to reach the chequered flag. Foliorum Viridum took advantage of the misfortune of others by not only scoring his first league podium, but also victory. Controversy after the race broke out though as several complaints were filed to the stewards about the hosting of the match, with some bitter rivals such as Lucius86 suggesting Foliorum created the technical errors to get an advantage. The stewards found no evidence of foul play, however a new host was found for this weekend to ensure any concerns of cheating were squashed.

Just as Jenson Button faced an armed attack in Brazil last year, the F1 2011 league was shocked this week to hear that defending champion Lucius86 was burgled this week in his London home. Although the driver is fine, his driving equipment was among the many things stolen and as such there is a permanent free seat available in the Red Bull car for any subs who are interested. His teammate Stop It was quoted as saying that he wishes Lucius "all the best" but admits that "I did pay the buggers to beat him up as well. If you need a job done right..."

current-driver-standi9co4f.png

current-constructor29o5w.png

No drivers were free this weekend for a walk around the track with our pundits, however ctw0e was kind enough to demonstrate a new technique for tackling the first corner in Free Practice:

learnhowtocanadad9kyp.gif

Some say this new approach could say up to 0.3s on the first sector. Who will be man enough to try it in the race?

schedulevscff.png

• Saturday December 10th, 16:30GMT
  • Qualifying will take place immediately before the race.
  • All drivers are asked to get to the paddock 10 minutes early.
  • A Steam chatroom will be open before, during and after for all drivers and groupies.
  • Top three drivers are asked to attend the press conference after the race for brief questions.
  • Please ensure you have fellow participants on Games for Windows Live, the official sponsor of the NeoGAF league.

Thanks again to Kyaw for images!

Omiee

race-banner18rno.png

The first round was difficult on the teams as a series of technical errors meant that only half the cars managed to reach the chequered flag. Foliorum Viridum took advantage of the misfortune of others by not only scoring his first league podium, but also victory. Controversy after the race broke out though as several complaints were filed to the stewards about the hosting of the match, with some bitter rivals such as Lucius86 suggesting Foliorum created the technical errors to get an advantage. The stewards found no evidence of foul play, however a new host was found for this weekend to ensure any concerns of cheating were squashed.

Just as Jenson Button faced an armed attack in Brazil last year, the F1 2011 league was shocked this week to hear that defending champion Lucius86 was burgled this week in his London home. Although the driver is fine, his driving equipment was among the many things stolen and as such there is a permanent free seat available in the Red Bull car for any subs who are interested. His teammate Stop It was quoted as saying that he wishes Lucius "all the best" but admits that "I did pay the buggers to beat him up as well. If you need a job done right..."

current-driver-standi9co4f.png

current-constructor29o5w.png

No drivers were free this weekend for a walk around the track with our pundits, however ctw0e was kind enough to demonstrate a new technique for tackling the first corner in Free Practice:

learnhowtocanadad9kyp.gif

Some say this new approach could say up to 0.3s on the first sector. Who will be man enough to try it in the race?

schedulevscff.png

• Saturday December 10th, 16:30GMT
  • Qualifying will take place immediately before the race.
  • All drivers are asked to get to the paddock 10 minutes early.
  • A Steam chatroom will be open before, during and after for all drivers and groupies.
  • Top three drivers are asked to attend the press conference after the race for brief questions.
  • Please ensure you have fellow participants on Games for Windows Live, the official sponsor of the NeoGAF league.

Thanks again to Kyaw for images!

can i fill in?

Kyaw

Actually, I was pitting on my normal lap.

It showed 'pitstop' in the car status area, so I pitted.

Goddamn Ferrari pitting.

Staab

Good race yo.
Kinda sad there was a SC, started on primes and was taking good care of my tyres, could've made a 3stopper work and gained some positions.
Looking forward to seeing some footage of all the incidents!

Juicy Bob

How was your experience with the SC? Did it work like it was supposed to or did any of you have any issues with it? I've not had a SC period online since 1.02 was released.

AcridMeat

Banned
How was your experience with the SC? Did it work like it was supposed to or did any of you have any issues with it? I've not had a SC period online since 1.02 was released.

It seemed like it was broken at first because it was moving dead slow with all of us there, but it was actually waiting on phleg to pass the backmarkers before it set off normally. So yes it worked properly.

Orgun

I'll have some footage up tomorrow with the entire SC period in, although its currently sitting at 12 minutes long! Gonna have to trim some footage, had too many great scraps with Speech :)

Juicy Bob

Thanks guys. I run an F1 2011 series elsewhere and have been hesitant to use the Safety Car, as much as I'd love to, because I wasn't sure whether the online issues with it had been fixed post-patch.

Lach

Fun race. Was about the pace I had expected of me and thanks to safety car I was only 1 lap behind. I didn't change the race strategy in the beginning so I kept getting prime tyres. I couldn't be bothered trying to find out how to tell them to use option.

Sorry Acrid, that I couldn't deliver a nice battle to a fellow kobayan, I just messed up when it counted.

AcridMeat

Banned
Fun race. Was about the pace I had expected of me and thanks to safety car I was only 1 lap behind. I didn't change the race strategy in the beginning so I kept getting prime tyres. I couldn't be bothered trying to find out how to tell them to use option.

Sorry Acrid, that I couldn't deliver a nice battle to a fellow kobayan, I just messed up when it counted.

I felt bad because as I was saying that you ran off and spun. :(

Orgun

It's like Koby is having a conversation with himself :)

Footage ended up being 18 minutes long, this is gonna take awhile to upload!

Got disconnected (again) the same second the race started :/

I don't know if it's the game, the host or something on my end. I have a 200Mbit download/100Mbit upload connection so that shouldn't be a problem. I've opened all the required ports and I've no problem playing other games such as Battlefield 3 etc. online where I normally get a ping between 5 and 20 (if the server is located in Europe).

I'm not going to give up yet since I love this game but if I never will be able to go through a complete race this season I don't see any reason to bother in the future.

/sad Kobaya

Mad_Ban

Footage ended up being 18 minutes long, this is gonna take awhile to upload!
Nice! I'm quite looking forward to seeing your footage.

Also, when we were behind the safety car I couldn't accelerate until the backmarkers passed the safety car.

Manik

I was the first guy behind the safety car (and one of the backmarkers) and every time I tried to speed up, or accidentally got ahead of it, it would autobrake me and tell me to slow down.

Bizarre :/

Lach

Yeah I think I panicked a bit :)
I also tried to go to the limit with the tyres to safe a stop (as I was mostly on primes anyway), but that worked about as well as it did for Sauber in Hungary.

Orgun

I don't know if it's the game, the host or something on my end. I have a 200Mbit download/100Mbit upload connection so that shouldn't be a problem. I've opened all the required ports and I've no problem playing other games such as Battlefield 3 etc. online where I normally get a ping between 5 and 20 (if the server is located in Europe).

I'm not going to give up yet since I love this game but if I never will be able to go through a complete race this season I don't see any reason to bother in the future.

/sad Kobaya

Ah that sucks dude, I think you were the only person to disconnect this time :( You don't have any mods installed that would mess with the game do you?

Here is my video 17:41

It was originally over 20 minutes but some fast and loose editing got it down a bit, it was still 2.89GB though! Just left it uploading overnight.

Shaneus

Oh, I briefly had a crack at the benchmark after my PC upgrade, and the thing fucking smashed it. i5-2500K in crossfire, GPUs hardly went over 50% but the CPU cores were nudging 100%. Proof of a very poorly coded game, but at least I'm finally hitting 60fps now!

Speech

/sad Kobaya

Have you tried hosting any games yourself, maybe we should try connecting to you next time and see how it goes?

f0rk

Ah that sucks dude, I think you were the only person to disconnect this time :( You don't have any mods installed that would mess with the game do you?

Here is my video 17:41

It was originally over 20 minutes but some fast and loose editing got it down a bit, it was still 2.89GB though! Just left it uploading overnight.

I don't mean to be a dick but isn't the corner cutting, particularly when chasing someone, pushing it a bit here?

I guess you didn't see this post!

Orgun that qualifying lap was a belter, even with you smacking the wall, haha. So fast! I don't think he did too many bad corner cuts, they're to be expected over a race of that length and the really bad ones he either lost time or slowed down to give back position.

You also downshift at the end of the long straight about as fast as I do, so I feel bitter about my car exploding now! -_- Haha.

I'll send Kyaw the images now and I'll probably have the post-race post up tomorrow.

Mad_Ban

At Canada you have to expect a little bit of corner cutting because the track lures you into doing it for a good time, and I've found you pretty much have to skirt the limits if you want a good lap time there.

I'd be concerned if it was the top of eau rouge, seeing as the game flat-out refuses to give you a penalty if you go straight on. :p

Orgun

I don't mean to be a dick but isn't the corner cutting, particularly when chasing someone, pushing it a bit here?

I never cut any corners intentionally, it would always be because I f*cked up my brake points, got a wheel on the grass or to avoid a collision (like with phleg/speech at the wall of champions). If I gained an advantage I would lift off for a few seconds but most of the time it cost me anyway.

Kyaw worked fast so here you go:

race-banner18rno.png

qualifying-resultswh6i9.png

race-resultsyn096.png

current-driver-standi6u5rb.png

current-constructor-sb45ci.png

I think we can all agree my connection probably fucked our first race - sorry about that! At least we know that Speech is an infinitely better host so we hopefully won't have any connection worries in the future.

Christmas break now until January, which is quite sad because I'm really enjoying it. I hope everyone will be back in the new year for Spa, but I'm definitely going to be up for some casual races over the holidays :)

Orgun

Kyaw worked fast so here you go:

http://www.abload.de/img/race-banner18rno.png

[IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/qualifying-resultswh6i9.png

[IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/race-resultsyn096.png

[IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/current-driver-standi6u5rb.png

[IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/current-constructor-sb45ci.png

I think we can all agree my connection probably fucked our first race - sorry about that! At least we know that Speech is an infinitely better host so we hopefully won't have any connection worries in the future.

[b]Christmas break now until January[/b], which is quite sad because I'm really enjoying it. I hope everyone will be back in the new year for Spa, but I'm definitely going to be up for some casual races over the holidays :)[/QUOTE]

Or...we could just end it now and oh..oh look I would win! :)

Great work with the result graphics guys. Btw, what do the bars next to our names mean? I'm guessing the purple is fastest lap?

Kyaw

It would be just simpler to put the text in colour but then it would look too bright/dim.

Gold, Silver, Bronze are self explanatory.
Green means you've finished the race.
Black means DNF/DSQ or DC.
Purple is fastest lap.

Orgun

It would be just simpler to put the text in colour but then it would look too bright/dim.

Gold, Silver, Bronze are self explanatory.
Green means you've finished the race.
Black means DNF/DSQ or DC.
Purple is fastest lap.

Thought that might be the case.

Anyways, if you guys want to race sometime just drop me a message on steam.

Top Bottom