• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2011 |OT| Not bad for a number 2 game

Megasoum

Banned
SunhiLegend said:
ibyl1wM1PKcwel.gif

Ugh...just noticed that there is no water spray behind the Safety Car...now I can't unsee it.

Samiad said:
I love this image, but I don't think I've ever seen the guys in 2nd and 3rd EVER be so happy for the winner!

It'd be awesome if they did the whole post-race interview with their helmets on.

Lucius86

Banned
Samiad said:
I love this image, but I don't think I've ever seen the guys in 2nd and 3rd EVER be so happy for the winner!

Button in the background looks particularly awkward.....

Hold on, that's me winning a gaf race. There's the explanation.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Bungieware said:
I was thinking of saving up some money and getting this wheel + stand:

http://www.fanatec.de/webshop/new_e...id=99&osCsid=155472757cf22017c703ee07d1fc9e26

Has anyone used this wheel or the stand? Does it have paddle shifters? Alternative suggestions are welcome. I know there's a wheel thread, but I'd like to know the opinion of you guys that play F1.

I've heard that Fanatec wheel is really good. I use a Logitech G27 with F1 2010 and it's brilliant. I can definitely vouch for that. If you can afford the Vision Racer rig to go along with either the Fanatec or Logitech wheels, it certainly looks the part and is worth the investment IMO. The paddles add greatly to the immersion if you play with the manual gear option enabled.

Here's my setup running F1 2010 (with the G27 + VR3):

DSC02877.jpg

DSC02885.jpg

Orgun

MoGamesXNA said:
I've heard that Fanatec wheel is really good. I use a Logitech G27 with F1 2010 and it's brilliant. I can definitely vouch for that. If you can afford the Vision Racer rig to go along with either the Fanatec or Logitech wheels, it certainly looks the part and is worth the investment IMO. The paddles add greatly to the immersion if you play with the manual gear option enabled.

Here's my setup (the G27 + VR3):

<deleted>

Edit: Should I be posting pics of wheels/setups in here? Or is this thread purely for game related content? Sorry if I broke any rules there.

Post away imo, it's a sweet setup :)

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Wow according to the Gamesradar review, there's visible marbles that build up off the racing line and you can even modify the fuel mix. Is it next Thursday yet? Getting F1 2011 and the Singapore GP in such close succession is going to be brilliant.

It's a good time to be a virtual racer GAF :)

I would add the rest of your gamertags to the OP but I'm too busy fapping over that dev diary. Sorry.

Looks utterly incredible. I'm so glad I'm playing Deus Ex: HR right now otherwise I'd just be sitting in darkness waiting for it.

Edit: Just finished adding the new gamertags and the list of PS3 players is getting quite impressive. I want to see if ye console peasants can do a good league!

Lucius86

Banned
MoGamesXNA said:
Wow according to the Gamesradar review, there's visible marbles that build up off the racing line and you can even modify the fuel mix. Is it next Thursday yet? Getting F1 2011 and the Singapore GP in such close succession is going to be brilliant.

It's a good time to be a virtual racer GAF :)

Both of those elements were confirmed in the build me and Stop It played back in July now. The fuel mix you can alter between 3 settings, and it is possible to run out of fuel (not to a standstill, but to the point where your engine performance is ridiculously bad).

Next weekend is going to be an immense few days.

I'm just watching some of the in-game stuff that's on Youtube now that Staab linked and it looks so much better. The most noticeable improvement for me? The car sounds.

Dommel

Bungieware said:
I was thinking of saving up some money and getting this wheel + stand:

http://www.fanatec.de/webshop/new_e...id=99&osCsid=155472757cf22017c703ee07d1fc9e26

Has anyone used this wheel or the stand? Does it have paddle shifters? Alternative suggestions are welcome. I know there's a wheel thread, but I'd like to know the opinion of you guys that play F1.

I ordered that exact same set a while ago. Very happy with it. It has button shifters and a stick shift (which i never use). You can order a set of paddles to screw onto the buttons but I've yet to do that as the buttons do a good job (they're large square ones, hard to miss).

It's a great wheel and I've been using it with GT5 & F1 2010. In my opinion for that price it can't be beat because of the included wheelstand.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Lucius86 said:
Both of those elements were confirmed in the build me and Stop It played back in July now. The fuel mix you can alter between 3 settings, and it is possible to run out of fuel (not to a standstill, but to the point where your engine performance is ridiculously bad).

Next weekend is going to be an immense few days.

That's brilliant, I'm glad the Codies took the time to add that in. The significant sound engine improvements and handling upgrades alone would have been enough for me this year. It's nice to see these new features and depth added to only the second iteration of the game. If they remain this dedicated to next year's release, I'll be buying that on day one as well.

By next week, it might finally be time to retire Microprose GP2 for good ;)

Edit:

JuicyBob: I totally agree. That was the first review that I read and it's been the best read so far. It hit on all the points and details that were important. He's clearly a fellow hardcore F1 fan.

Gah... is it next week yet?

Dommel said:
I ordered that exact same set a while ago. Very happy with it. It has paddle shifters and a stick shift (which i never use).

It's a great wheel and I've been using it with GT5 & F1 2010. In my opinion for that price it can't be beat because of the included wheelstand.

How's the stand? The one thing that's putting me off a little is the price. It's £50 cheaper on the US website as well :/

Juicy Bob

I actually enjoyed the Hungaroring in F1 2010. It may not be best track in the dry in real life but considering you can overtake more easily in the game I thought it was quite an enjoyable track. DRS won't hurt this year either.

amar212

Orgun said:
Eurogamer 8/10

Havent read it yet myself.

Not really a fair review.

Despite the lack of telemetry is obvious, it shouldn't be pronounced as such negativity. This review is a clear showcase how many reviewers does not get their teeth into game they're playing.

F1 2011 truly captures the essence of F1 driver career and it does it perfectly. This review does not highlight the vast improvement over Career mode, where all improvements inside the engine - physics, tire physics and improved AI - can finally create a truly immersive universe of actual F1 racing. Of course, in order to have such experience player have to except a challenge - going with really *bad* teams such as Lotus, HRT or Virgin and slowly climbing up the tier. And with AI set on Hard and all Realistic options, it is not an easy task.

With settings of the actual races catered towards realism (with true-to-life no assists, minimum of 20% length for race and AI set to Hard - most crucial) every Practice session in the Long GP Weekend - especially those with corresponding Team Challenges which determines evolution of the car - becomes a small time-trial playground and exercise of downforce and times other drivers are doing.

Same with Qualifying sessions, where you really have to shave that 0.500 of time you can achieve with crappy Lotus without KERS in order to catch the time of damn Maldonado and fulfill the team request of qualifying for the 20th or above.

Same for the Race, where objective goal of 18th or above can quickly become a nightmare due to unexpected DRS malfunction and inability to keep pace with low-tiered cars on the back of the grid. All above with great help of new Race Director feature which allows to observe actual compound used by other drivers and such.

Review also does not highlight inclusion of new Proving Ground mode and Time Attack races, which are great content-wise edition in line of Great Driver Challenge from original F355 Challenge game or Driving Licenses as seen in Gran Turismo series. I know how all races of Time Attack are not available in review-code, but 6 initial races provides a pretty good overview of challenges to come, while inclusion of separate leaderboards for both Time Trial and Time Attack races will be very honored by "core simulation crowd" - probably more than inclusion of telemetry in the 2011 game where you actually have a virtual mechanic who prepares a car for the upcoming race. In my book it will - in short.

I can understand the lack of emphasis on multiplayer options - because servers are not up yet - but it is really not fair to forget to talk about prospect for MP section with all new inclusions, especially for more demanding drivers. Having KERS, DRS, tire compounds, penalty system, safety car, weather dynamics and improved pit-management in MP races... no other game in genre at this point can even come close with such options. F1 2011 blows all competition in that area.

I don't know... that review is certainly lacking in both form and essence and does not present F1 2011 in the right light. In my book, F1 2011 is shaping to be one dream game for every automotive enthusiast. This review - despite positive last sentence - does not do full justice for this wonderful game and makes it look just above average. Which is absolutely not true and not right.

He asks this question and gives this answer:

Can it do enough to establish a yearly franchise, an exercise that's normally the reserve of publishers with a little more clout?

F1 2011's answer to that particular question is, sometimes, not too convincing.

I say it is total opposite. F1 2011's answer to that particular question is - it can. Will it succeed - that will not be measured by anything else but sales. However, this game deserves a praise in every area that this review either downplays for reasons I can't understand (bashing a career mode fro example) or does not even recognize as strong point of the game (everything I said above).

Shame, because Eurogamer is very influential and review like this will put the wrong picture about F1 2011 into eyes of thousands of its readers.

Going by the Eurogamer review, sounds like they've done next to nothing to improve the career mode (beyond slight tweaking of contract negotiations and downgrading the agent to emails).

Xun

I'm starting to side with the PS3 version at the moment, but I'm still holding out a bit longer before I make the decision.

It's a painful decision to make. :(

This is why modes like Gymkhana were thrown into dirt 3, having a solid racing game is just not enough any more and you need gimmick events to get that 9/10 or above, plus you really need to be an f1 fan to see everything codemasters have done and tweaked in 2011 down to the new tyres and how each AI driver races.

Orgun

Juicy Bob said:
I actually enjoyed the Hungaroring in F1 2010. It may not be best track in the dry in real life but considering you can overtake more easily in the game I thought it was quite an enjoyable track. DRS won't hurt this year either.

The first 6 corners of Hungaroring are some of my favourite to race on, infact I just love that entire track. For me, the only track that tops it is Spa.

Lucius86

Banned
Orgun said:
The first 6 corners of Hungaroring are some of my favourite to race on, infact I just love that entire track. For me, the only track that tops it is Spa.

Mate, we all know Valencia is the king of all the tracks.

Juicy Bob

Lucius86 said:
Mate, we all know Valencia is the king of all the tracks.
Again, I actually really enjoyed Valencia on F1 2010. :p I can't wait to see how it drives like with the new handling model, Pirelli tyres, KERS and DRS.

Lucius86

Banned
Juicy Bob said:
Again, I actually really enjoyed Valencia on F1 2010. :p I can't wait to see how it drives like with the new handling model, Pirelli tyres, KERS and DRS.

Ok, now you are just weird (coming from the man who loves Monaco).

amar212

Bungieware said:
So have you got the game then?

Yes, I usually tend to sustain from descriptions said above if I can't say it from personal experience. PS3 code, played exclusivelly with G25, full-simulation settings, Hard AI and Long Race Weekends.

Juicy Bob

Lucius86 said:
Ok, now you are just weird (coming from the man who loves Monaco).
Monaco is God-tier. I'm also a big fan of Singapore, Silverstone and Interlagos. But the absolute best track to drive and race on in any F1 game is Melbourne. No question about that whatsoever. Done more laps around Melbourne virtually than any other track in any game, ever. Can't wait to do even more.

Lucius86

Banned
Juicy Bob said:
Monaco is God-tier. I'm also a big fan of Singapore, Silverstone and Interlagos. But the absolute best track to drive and race on in any F1 game is Melbourne. No question about that whatsoever. Done more laps around Melbourne virtually than any other track in any game, ever. Can't wait to do even more.

There I can agree with you. Melbourne is quite simply an awesome track. There is a reason we are kicking off the season there.

Fixed1979

Holy shit, lots of stuff happened while I was sleeping. Unfortunately I'm at work and can't watch any of it...

I'm now officially done with 2010, played a little bit the other night while I was sleepy and didn't do so hot. Figured I may as well wait another 4 days to play 2011 as enough has changed that each track will end up playing a little differently anyway.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Diablohead said:
This is why modes like Gymkhana were thrown into dirt 3, having a solid racing game is just not enough any more and you need gimmick events to get that 9/10 or above, plus you really need to be an f1 fan to see everything codemasters have done and tweaked in 2011 down to the new tyres and how each AI driver races.

^ This x10. It does make me wonder what kinds of reviews a similarly improved F1 2012 would get. If they just improve upon the core fundamentals as Codemasters seem to have done with F1 2011, I'm assuming that they'll get an ever decreasing review scale. It'll all come down to it looking 'essentially the same' as the previous version to the casual gamer/uneducated reviewer irrespective of drastic changes under the bonnet (which the hardcore community -like us- massively appreciate).

This isn't anything new I guess but it makes it difficult to place any trust in reviews for the racing genre to be honest. Regardless, Codemasters should be celebrated for producing another great F1 sim that seems to have touched on a lot of features new to the genre that the hardcore crowd will definitely be appreciative of (the flexible aero surfaces spring to mind...wow).

I've just watched a couple of the new Gamespot videos up on YT and it looks amazing. The weight transfer looks fantastic and the gear change sound effects seem spot on. sogood.gif

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
There's some great videos up on YouTube now. Here's 30 minutes of high quality F1 2011 PC gameplay: here

VVV Mars VG: I'm hanging out to see your F1 2011 videos mate, your racing game coverage is always of triple-A quality. Do you have an ETA on your Monza race etc?

Orgun said:
Orgun when we were playing the other night:

"What track is this?"

Five corners later...

"Oh, Hungaroring!"

Maikrobi said:
Some new F1 2011 videos including gameplay and stuff

F1 2011 vs. F1 2010 (PS3)
I just raced that track in the wet on my 360 earlier today, 2011 makes it look worse so far :S

2011's clouds should not be like that, not under 100000's of floodlights

*edit* have to say pc version looks hot (if you ignore the bad clouds) needs gamma 0.8

Xun said:
I'm starting to side with the PS3 version at the moment, but I'm still holding out a bit longer before I make the decision.

It's a painful decision to make. :(

I've seen a lot of interest to the PS3 league, we might actually have a full grid this year.

mxgt

Banned
MoGamesXNA said:
There's some great videos up on YouTube now. Here's 30 minutes of high quality F1 2011 PC gameplay: here

VVV Mars VG: I'm hanging out to see your F1 2011 videos mate, your racing game coverage is always of triple-A quality. Do you have an ETA on your Monza race etc?

Heavy rain looks crazy hard to drive in

Top Bottom