• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2011 |OT| Not bad for a number 2 game

Great video! I'll upload mine tonight... although hopefully we'll have more footage tonight for me to tack on to the end of it!

So nice to have a fun track after the last two! Reminds me of all the hours we pumped in to practice for the first league.

Mad_Ban

Great video! I'll upload mine tonight... although hopefully we'll have more footage tonight for me to tack on to the end of it!

So nice to have a fun track after the last two! Reminds me of all the hours we pumped in to practice for the first league.

I'm game for tonight! Feel like I'm finally clicking with the wheel. Just need to practice a looot on getting the power down.

It's really interesting watching your videos and comparing your steering to mine. You seem to be very smooth and flowing whereas I seem to "on-off" it.

Mad_Ban

Great vid James!

Shame I had to go out shopping with the housemates :( I'm getting an F1 craving after watching that video.

kharma45

Cheers Phleg :) I got a decent amount of action again today.

Without getting too much of an ego I must say I did enjoy my overtake on Foli at 1:16 or so.

Mad_Ban

That was a belter and even he knows it :p

I honestly think you stand a very good chance at leading the race from the start, assuming you don't get hit...... or blocked into the pit :p

Haha, I think my "ohh very nice" tells you I agreed!

Edit: Yeah, about that pit lane line on the first corner, I don't like it one bit, haha. I've been swiped a few times when people have gone into the pit lane then back on to the track. I think we should agree to stick to the actual track.

Lucius86

Banned

Edit: Yeah, about that pit lane line on the first corner, I don't like it one bit, haha. I've been swiped a few times when people have gone into the pit lane then back on to the track. I think we should agree to stick to the actual track.

Gentleman's agreement? I support this.

You boys are getting in too much practice for my liking. Glad I have Good Friday to practice and teach you all who is boss.

kharma45

That was a belter and even he knows it :p

I honestly think you stand a very good chance at leading the race from the start, assuming you don't get hit...... or blocked into the pit :p

Thanks for the kind words but I can't see me getting that high :p Chances are I'll qualify second last as per normal but make 2-3 positions off the start, if I can get up to third or fourth I'd be happy. Plus sticking to the track instead of using the pits means my advantage from the start will be negated a bit.

Yeah I thought it'd bring up some... issues and I admit it is a bit of a dodgy move as I did swipe Phleg once doing it from the start which since it was at low speed I luckily got away with.

If we practice tomorrow I'll stick to the track, hopefully I can resist the temptation of the pit lane as it does work for me when overtaking at the start, hence why I did it and got away with it most of the time (and it gave me a lot of space too), although if it means anything I wouldn't be as aggressive in the race as practice but I'll try to stick to the track tomorrow if we practice!

I don't have issues with people go in to the pit lane to defend etc on tracks where it integrates with the straight (like in Hungary, where I always went to the extreme right to defend) but that's just a matter of crossing the line when nobody is exiting. I think it looks a bit silly when three cars go from the line over those huge raised kerbs because they're raised for a reason! I know it's narrow in to that first corner but that's the fun of it, just like with Monaco. It's hard enough spotting your braking zone and keeping an eye on the cars around you without wondering if someone has legged it in to the pit lane! If those kerbs weren't there I wouldn't have much of an issue with it, but it feels like leaving the boundary of the track to me personally.

kharma45

I don't have issues with people go in to the pit lane to defend etc on tracks where it integrates with the straight (like in Hungary, where I always went to the extreme right to defend) but that's just a matter of crossing the line when nobody is exiting. I think it looks a bit silly when three cars go from the line over those huge raised kerbs because they're raised for a reason! I know it's narrow in to that first corner but that's the fun of it, just like with Monaco. It's hard enough spotting your braking zone and keeping an eye on the cars around you without wondering if someone has legged it in to the pit lane! If those kerbs weren't there I wouldn't have much of an issue with it, but it feels like leaving the boundary of the track to me personally.

Totally get where you're coming from :) just got to make sure that everyone else before the race knows not to use it too and abides by the rule.

Mad_Ban

Yeah I thought it'd bring up some... issues and I admit it is a bit of a dodgy move as I did swipe Phleg once doing it from the start which since it was at low speed I luckily got away with.

Aaaah so THAT'S why. :p I just assumed Mumble was asking you to hit me haha. Will be so glad to get my controller + mic back on friday. Gonna stick to the wheel for the time being though.

kharma45

Nope it was my own stupidly that meant I careered into your from the start, wasn't thinking right as I hadn't started from that side of the grid before and my first instinct around Valencia was to get tight to the right hand side of the track.

I thought you were doing pretty well with the wheel Phleg, didn't think you'd switch back to the controller.

I'll upload my other stuff tonight, but this is what I love about Valencia:

So close!

Side-by-side and I had absolutely no idea where he was. You can see from James' perspective I had quite a bit of room because he was leaving me space, but I didn't know that so I was hugging the wall as much as possible because I didn't want to wipe him out. This was by far the highlight of the night for me.

I only got F1 recently but I must say the AI is really good especially for Karthikeyan, he acts like a rolling chicane in the game just like he does in real life. Haha :)

kharma45

I'll upload my other stuff tonight, but this is what I love about Valencia:

So close!

Side-by-side and I had absolutely no idea where he was. You can see from James' perspective I had quite a bit of room because he was leaving me space, but I didn't know that so I was hugging the wall as much as possible because I didn't want to wipe him out. This was by far the highlight of the night for me.

I was scared of running into your down that straight as I didn't know where you were either down that straight, had to get on the brakes early for the corner in case I caused a fuck up.

Nicely done video btw! :)

kharma45

It's doing that to me too, not sure whether it's the video or YouTube.

If it's not fixed itself by tomorrow morning I'll try and re-upload all the bits again.

kharma45

Bollocks I've just re-encoded it all ha :(

At least I didn't waste my time uploading it! Just glad it's working now for everyone to... enjoy, especially with Crumbs' soundtrack.

Edit - Still not working perfectly for me, gonna re-upload.

Yen

Just had an amazing race at Spa, in the wet. I had a 4 stop strategy, everyone else was on 3. I was third with about 5 laps to go and caught up with my teammate Vettel with a lap to go but thought I was going to run out of fuel before I could catch him. Decided to "Schumacher" him on the final chicane. He was out of the race, I had a penalty. Turns out I had enough fuel to pass him. :*(

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Okay guys so a very generous person just gave me this game. I'M FINALLY IN!

I have some immediate thoughts and questions.

First off, the performance on this is WEIRD. I'm on a Phenom X4 955, a 5850, and 8GB RAM. I get 45-55fps no matter what. If I set everything to ultra, the average goes down a bit but the highs and lows are the same. If I go to low settings on everything, it keeps the normal average and the highs and lows are the same. If I go to DX9 mode it rides the average a bit higher, but the highs and lows are the same. If I play in 720p instead of 1080p, nothing changes at all.

WTF is up with that? DiRT games easily run 60fps as long as I don't totally max everything.

Aside from that, I will be playing on a 360 controller. Any recommendations on settings?

Do we still meet up at regular times? Add me on Steam

Added ya :) I suggest you practice for a week or two before joining our league because you're going to want to find your pace etc. Especially since tomorrow we're racing on a very tight street circuit!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Man, I suck in cockpit mode. I either play it way too safe or end up flying off the road. Can't get a sense of tension like I do in chase cam.

I don't see your pending request in Steam? My GFWL is danielion

Lucius86

Banned
Okay guys so a very generous person just gave me this game. I'M FINALLY IN!

I have some immediate thoughts and questions.

First off, the performance on this is WEIRD. I'm on a Phenom X4 955, a 5850, and 8GB RAM. I get 45-55fps no matter what. If I set everything to ultra, the average goes down a bit but the highs and lows are the same. If I go to low settings on everything, it keeps the normal average and the highs and lows are the same. If I go to DX9 mode it rides the average a bit higher, but the highs and lows are the same. If I play in 720p instead of 1080p, nothing changes at all.

WTF is up with that? DiRT games easily run 60fps as long as I don't totally max everything.

Aside from that, I will be playing on a 360 controller. Any recommendations on settings?

Do we still meet up at regular times? Add me on Steam

If you want to get in on the league, start practising now with everything off bar auto gears - that's what we force for the league, and although the start may be brutally harsh, you will end up a better driver for it.

We do have a few controller players, and one of them is Phleg
who should win the league this year, but don't tell him I said that
, so don't worry about potentially being slower.

I would recommend getting to grips with it first before joining the league though - it may be worth watching some of our vids to get a grasp of the competition level and banter we have.

I use cockpit mode because it's the most realistic for me - but some prefer t-cams. One or the other I would recommend.

Also, added you :)

race-bannern0j29.png

iIHwYZhIm00HS.gif

Last week in Instanbul the ex-champion Lucius86 proved his pace is still there once again as he went on to dominate the race and fight off the best advances of Crumbs and Phleg. With the gap never more than 3.5 seconds, fans were on the edge of their seat to see who would be victorious, but the experience of the 2010 champion came through in the end as he crossed the line ahead of the #2 Welshman.

Defending champion Foliorum had a tough race weekend, with his qualifying being compromised by newcomer Quiche, twice, and then two unfortunate incidents during the first lap with Kharma and Staab which sent him straight to the pits and the back of the pack. Despite an extra pit stop under his belt the Red Bull driver pulled out an aggressive drive that got him back in to position. The team weren't happy that all radio contacted ceased after the first lap due to concentration, however, as they could not instruct the champion to ram Lucius as they usually do.

Replay videos show that Istanbul was also the first race of the league where every single driver had an exciting and competitive race. After the shambles of Malaysia and China, faith in the second NeoGAF F1 2011 League has been restored for the battle on the streets of Valencia today.

current-driver-standiaoi3h.png

current-constructor-ssejiu.png

I didn't have my headset on so I didn't know what happened on the track as much as I usually do for these write-ups... sorry!

Mad_Ban

Think todays race belongs to Crumbs and Lucius. Me and street circuits aren't best friends and it's taking time to get used to the wheel (excuse #2029).

Is it worth it getting a wheel (looking at the G27)? Reading through this thread it seems like anyone who has switched to one from the controller goes slower and hates it.

Top Bottom