• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2012 |OT| 2011 + 1

I thought previously that was a problem with GFWL. Isn't this using Steam now?

Yep.

I had a message come up about my save files not matching up with the Steam cloud, so i downloaded the one from the cloud, went to load my profile up and was met with a 'corrupt save' message.

Having a quick look on the game's Steam forum, it seems I'm not the only one and it doesn't matter if you get the save message and continue with locally stored data or data from the cloud - if you've got the message basically your save is corrupt.

Lima

Got balls deep into the setup this night on Barcelona.

We are at race 5 in the co-op championship and I want need my first win now.

I now have a setup where I can pull off a 1:20 in qualifying. It is eating through the tires fast though so I am not sure how many stops I need for the race.

Ha this game is fun.

Shaneus

I thought previously that was a problem with GFWL. Isn't this using Steam now?
Yep.

I had a message come up about my save files not matching up with the Steam cloud, so i downloaded the one from the cloud, went to load my profile up and was met with a 'corrupt save' message.

Having a quick look on the game's Steam forum, it seems I'm not the only one and it doesn't matter if you get the save message and continue with locally stored data or data from the cloud - if you've got the message basically your save is corrupt.
There were save problems and there were online problems. People (I guess, including Codemasters) blamed GFWL. So, the only thing that's changed (almost literally) between 2011 and 2012 is the platform, that's moved to Steam.

And, surprise surprise, there's still save problems and still online problems. One common denominator.

I think the only good thing about moving to Steam (it seems now, at least) is they're no longer locked to the "three patches" GFWL thing that MS have in place. But you shouldn't need more than that in the first place... except, Codies do.

DSc

I love the OP's avatar.

image.php

Can't do it. It's too broken. I wanted to believe it would just be the driving model that's crap but as the days have past the bugs have become apparent. Shaneus may gloat at this point.

Hi, I recently bought F1 2012 and due to the broken online mode and extreme bugs I would like to request a refund. I would barely call the game playable in its current state.

I live in the UK and believe I am eligible under the Distance Selling Regulations 2000 Act - http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2000/2334/contents/made

Thank you in advance.

Just like real life.

However, you guys shouldn't complain about this because it's not real. Codemasters PR Guru, Mr. Andy Gray, says if it something wasn't mentioned in reviews then it's not true. Invisible walls were not mentioned so they are not true. Deal with it.
Of course it's not true. They are invisible, how could you prove their existence? :p

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.

Wow, Codemasters, wow.

I can't wait for Hood to explain THAT one as an "intended change", making PC players unable to play after a while, after all, when you reach the heady heights of rank SEVEN, you've clearly played enough online.

Staab

FV is like a woman in that regard: mood swings and all...
Make up your mind already, we knew and told you it was shit 1week from release son !

dubc35

It's hilarious how much CM manages to screw games up. After the 3 fps ps3 effort last year I had no intentions on buying 2012.

Lima

Damn son DAT McLaren.

We decided to restart our season and switch to the McLaren. Well at least we get in Q3 now.

We did 5 races. ALL of them had wet sessions, 3 of them started wet.

Bahrain was the worst. It was a fucking nightmare. You could barely see the track.

I even looked up Bahrain's weather data and it never rains in the months when the GP is taking place there.

PS: Ah I see that Steve Hood already mentioned this via twitter and it will be changed in a patch.

The way F1 is going:

Codemasters make 2009, but limit it to wii due to wanting to get more done.
Codemasters make 2010, game is fun and good but lacks things, little buggy in areas.
Codemasters improved to make 2011, game has more bugs but also big improvements, sloppy in areas.
Codemasters hands over the code to a B-team to work on 2012, changes up the wazoo and removal of already included features for stupid reasons, trolls fanbase.
-
Codemasters release 2013 and wonder why no one is buying it and why the fan base is halfed
-
Codemasters stop making yearly F1 games, official reason being that the genre is drying up and blame it on the fans.

Bahaha. In case no-one saw the OP (again):

Best OP ever

Jamesways

The way F1 is going:

Codemasters make 2010, game is fun and good but lacks things, little buggy in areas.
Codemasters improved to make 2011, game has more bugs but also big improvements, sloppy in areas.
Codemasters hands over the code to a B-team to work on 2012, changes up the wazoo and removal of already included features for stupid reasons, trolls fanbase.
-
Codemasters release 2013 and wonder why no one is buying it and why the fan base is halfed
-
Codemasters stop making yearly F1 games, official reason being that the genre is drying up and blame it on the fans.

Ah, so you're familiar with what Capcom did to the MotoGP franchise?

I'm trying to drive without the assists, so how can I prevent brake locking? I'm trying like hell, but to no avail.

Also, is this game's multiplayer region locked? I'm trying some online matches, but it seems there's only a few of them, all hosted by people in the same region as me. Coincidence? How is it possible a game like this to have only 3 or 4 online lobbies open?

TJP

Ah, so you're familiar with what Capcom did to the MotoGP franchise?
You didn't enjoy MotoGP 10/11? That's the last game I ever send to you 8)

Similarities between the MotoGP franchise to the F1 franchise is the second game - MotoGP '10/'11 - is way better than the first effort, much like F1 2010 vs F1 2011. The physics/gameplay ideology is similar too (not a 'hardcore' simulation) but without the bugs of Codemasters F1 games.

MotoGP '09/'10 was the game that shat on fans because Capcom knew better (and lied about releasing a sim that was better than GP 500 and SBK 2001), sales of the second & far superior game suffered as a result. Codemasters are seemingly repeating the same problems in each release & now the fanbase are finally pushing back.

I'd like to know why the 'professional' reviewers never encounter a single issue with save games, invisible walls, exploding engines and the other issues people are reporting here and elsewhere on the internet.

DD

I'm trying to drive without the assists, so how can I prevent brake locking? I'm trying like hell, but to no avail.

Also, is this game's multiplayer region locked? I'm trying some online matches, but it seems there's only a few of them, all hosted by people in the same region as me. Coincidence? How is it possible a game like this to have only 3 or 4 online lobbies open?

Break hard and release it slowly. You have to think that your car is like a bathtub full of water. If you accelerate, the water goes back; if you turn right, the water goes left; if you go left, water goes right; if you break, water moves ahead.

When you break, most of the car's weight goes to the front, so if you are going for a slow turn after a long straight, try to move the breaks balance to the front (and remember to break hard and release it slowly) for a better performance. If you a going for a mid speed turn, maybe you should move the breakes bias for the rear, since you are going to start to turn while breaking, and the car's weight goes one sided, wich makes the inner tire to lock, because there's not much weight over it.

The way F1 is going:

-
-

Best OP ever
No way F1 2011 was more bugged than 2010... o_O

Shaneus

Similarities between the MotoGP franchise to the F1 franchise is the second game - MotoGP '10/'11 - is way better than the first effort, much like F1 2010 vs F1 2011. The physics/gameplay ideology is similar too (not a 'hardcore' simulation) but without the bugs of Codemasters F1 games.

MotoGP '09/'10 was the game that shat on fans because Capcom knew better (and lied about releasing a sim that was better than GP 500 and SBK 2001), sales of the second & far superior game suffered as a result. Codemasters are seemingly repeating the same problems in each release & now the fanbase are finally pushing back.

I'd like to know why the 'professional' reviewers never encounter a single issue with save games, invisible walls, exploding engines and the other issues people are reporting here and elsewhere on the internet.
My guess is that they're playing them as reviewers and not as gamers. Play the game, but casually (ie with a controller), give the career mode a little bit of a go (but don't understand why a 10-race season is a bad thing) and marvel at how the "YDT" (that in no way reflects what a REAL F1 YDT comprises of) makes you feel like a real driver.

Oh, and comment on how great the UI looks. You know, despite the UI looking fantastic in 2012 and pretty amateurish in 2011, at least it served a purpose and actually made you feel like you were a part of the paddock and the F1 circus in general. 2012 (From the demo) makes you feel like you're one of the guys in lab coats who tests the strength of carbon fibre.

BTW What was the MotoGP that was on the original Xbox and had the "dengdengdeng" mode in it? I want to play that again!

Jamesways

Oh Shiiiii...

Of course I liked it! But you hit the nail on the head, the strange decisions they made with 09/10 (the 3 lap max, tryign to nab the casual fan, etc) really hurt the series and divided the fans. By the time the much improved 10/11 came, most of the fans went back to the older games or SBK.

And now the license sits ideal, and we'll wait years for another MotoGP game.

I'd hate to see that happen with F1 here.
I know I'm not supposed to say it, but I'm really enjoying the 360 version with a controller. Sounds like you PC guys got screwed bigtime. That's really too bad.

I liked 2011's UI. I really liked being in the caravan and the whole paddock setup before getting into the track. I even liked the fact they showed you the session info in the monitor. Now they show it to you on a full screen. Little touches like these were great. Sure, my load times have gone from 3 minutes (yes, 3) to 15 seconds, but I didn't mind it in 2011.

What's up with the shadows in this game? High shadows gives me the worst shadows I've seen in a game since 2005. DISGUSTING. Anyone else getting this? Shadows are 2048 on mine, I tried 4096 and it did nothing. Wow... They look awful. Specially wheel shadows on the track.

TJP

BTW What was the MotoGP that was on the original Xbox and had the "dengdengdeng" mode in it? I want to play that again!
Climax AKA Black Rock AKA many employees of Playground Games made the MotoGP games for console and PC back then. Frankly, I didn't enjoy these games but a lot of people loved them and the powerslide to victory gameplay. I was more interested in GP 500 and SBK 2001.

Of course I liked it! But you hit the nail on the head, the strange decisions they made with 09/10 (the 3 lap max, tryign to nab the casual fan, etc) really hurt the series and divided the fans. By the time the much improved 10/11 came, most of the fans went back to the older games or SBK.

And now the license sits ideal, and we'll wait years for another MotoGP game.
If the Capcom US forums where to be believed at the time, all MotoGP fans were never happy with any game except GP 500. MotoGP '10/'11 was a very good sim-cade game that nearly everyone ignored because of the debacle that was '09/'10 prior to the free DLC. The MotoGP licence is in limbo and will be for quite some time as you noted. If Milestone do a good job with WRC 3, I'd like to see them take another shot at a MotoGP game. PiBiSo has a very exciting project going (GP Bikes) but who knows when the final game will be released as the guy has quite a few ongoing projects. The a perfect world, PD would release another bike game too.

I know I'm not supposed to say it, but I'm really enjoying the 360 version with a controller. Sounds like you PC guys got screwed bigtime. That's really too bad.
Nothing wrong posting you're having a great time with the game. Outside of one corrupt save thanks to Steam cloud save not syncing with the save on my HDD, I've had no issues and I'm having a ball with F1 2012 too. The caveat is that I've not played F1 2012 online.

Shaneus

Climax AKA Black Rock AKA many employees of Playground Games made the MotoGP games for console and PC back then. Frankly, I didn't enjoy these games but a lot of people loved them and the powerslide to victory gameplay. I was more interested in GP 500 and SBK 2001.
Yeah, the main reason I liked it was because it reminded me of Hang On ;) I seem to remember a very simmy game on the Xbox as well that I liked, but can't for the life of me remember what it was.

If I was to hunt down a decent cycle game on PC, what would I look for? Could be a fun diversion.

Don't know if it's a bug or not, but this happened to me today. I was on a co-op championship session. Wet weather on qualify, so I configured my car accordingly. Then, we moved to race and had clear weather, but the game refused to let me reconfigure my car settings. I was stuck on a dry race with rain setups. The result? With too much downforce, my car wasn't fast enough and I struggled in the race to finish in 20th place. Ridiculous.

Is there any rule in this season that prevents something like this? I assumed that, since it was not raining anymore, I would be able to at least change some configurations. But that was not the case :(

TJP

If I was to hunt down a decent cycle game on PC, what would I look for? Could be a fun diversion.
Anything by Milestone 8)

SBK Generations is the latest effort by Milestone and it's four SBK games released (SBK'08, '09, SBK X and SBK '11) rolled into one game. Ignore the reviews on Metacritic as these reviewers wouldn't know their elbow from their anus; most experts demand shiny graphics and easy gameplay. SBK has okay graphics and mostly realistic physics making the game a real challenge on full sim mode with the AI set to their maximum level.

Anyone read an ETA on a patch for the issues uncovered thus far in F1 2012?

Cheers.

Addnan

Don't know if it's a bug or not, but this happened to me today. I was on a co-op championship session. Wet weather on qualify, so I configured my car accordingly. Then, we moved to race and had clear weather, but the game refused to let me reconfigure my car settings. I was stuck on a dry race with rain setups. The result? With too much downforce, my car wasn't fast enough and I struggled in the race to finish in 20th place. Ridiculous.

Is there any rule in this season that prevents something like this? I assumed that, since it was not raining anymore, I would be able to at least change some configurations. But that was not the case :(

I think that falls under parc ferme rules. Can't make significant changes once qualifying has started.

Shaneus

I'm *pretty* sure that's a bug... remember seeing someone mention it on the official forums.

Anything by Milestone 8)

SBK Generations is the latest effort by Milestone and it's four SBK games released (SBK'08, '09, SBK X and SBK '11) rolled into one game. Ignore the reviews on Metacritic as these reviewers wouldn't know their elbow from their anus; most experts demand shiny graphics and easy gameplay. SBK has okay graphics and mostly realistic physics making the game a real challenge on full sim mode with the AI set to their maximum level.

Anyone read an ETA on a patch for the issues uncovered thus far in F1 2012?

Cheers.
Thanks for that! And I'm not sure about an ETA for a patch. I remember one came out for 2011 fairly quickly, but that's because it was for bugs they knew about when they went gold.

Yeah, they fucking did that. Arseholes.

I think that falls under parc ferme rules. Can't make significant changes once qualifying has started.
Yes, teams will sometimes gamble on their setup in qualifying in preparation for a wet/dry race. So, if the forecast for the race is heavy rain, you probably don't want to go on a low downforce setup in qualifying, as you will be stuck with that same setup for the race.

It doesn't work that way in F1 2011, which annoys me but it sounds like they have corrected it for 2012.

Top Bottom