• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2012 |OT| 2011 + 1

My old 5850 couldn't max the game out in DX11. My 6950/2500k can though.

Hum... I guess some of the DX11 features tax the cards. Well, even if you turn those down... It's not much of a difference is it? They're nice on Dirt 2 and 3 but from what I always saw they don't really make F1 games look that much better. Correct me if I'm wrong!

Hum... I guess some of the DX11 features tax the cards. Well, even if you turn those down... It's not much of a difference is it? They're nice on Dirt 2 and 3 but from what I always saw they don't really make F1 games look that much better. Correct me if I'm wrong!

They're nice bells and whistles, but no, even without it maxed on PC you're getting an experience infinitely superior to the console versions :)

Anyone with modern hardware should pick it up over the console version.

Is that the actual price? (console)

You can (or could, I dunno now) get it for £20 on PC at SimplyGames and it's been as low as £25 on other sites for consoles.

Some Codemasters games are part of "AMD - Future is Fusion" initiative, and are better optimized for Radeons.

I feel nerf is still appropriate.

The original tagline and reasoning behind why there is such a performance difference is due to GCN. The second graph down shows the GTX 5xx getting whipped as well by the old 6xxx which isn't GCN.

PC gayman, man :(

That's pretty shitty. Then again, as someone with an AMD card, it's kinda nice to have the advantage in just one series :p Nvidia usually have moneyhatted everyone!

DieH@rd

Banned
That's pretty shitty. Then again, as someone with an AMD card, it's kinda nice to have the advantage in just one series :p Nvidia usually have moneyhatted everyone!

Yeah.

Codemasters and Edios [Square Enix] are in the AMD camp. Last Deus Ex game was heavily optimized for AMD.

DieH@rd

Banned
Formula 1 Game @Formula1game
We're still awaiting an update regarding the demo on Steam. As soon as we know more we'll let you know, thanks for your patience!

Ok, they replied my tweet about the game availability on stores:

Formula1game
@ccassol It should be up on Amazon and other retailers. Steam will be available very soon :)

Wes

venison crêpe
@Formula1game - 17 minutes ago

We're still liaising with them to get it online, will let you know of any further developments.

DieH@rd

Banned
5 mins ago:

Formula 1 Game @Formula1game
We're expecting the demo to arrive on Steam within the next 2-3 hours. We're really sorry about the delay and thank you for your patience.

:-/

Well, I live in Brazil, so it's 05:48PM here. I'm still at work, so hopefully I'll be able to download the demo as I arrive at home (about 08:30PM). Will post my impressions if that happens.

NHale

First impressions with my DFGT: It feels like complete shit. Default settings and the game seems completely broken. For example on a straight I just need to turn a little bit to complete lose the car. It's better with the controller than with my DFGT.

I used the same wheel in F1 2010 and F1 2011 and never had any problems (even on default), now it's unplayable.

Lee Mather making excuses on twitter about having to tune the settings is not enough. You are the developer, you should tune the settings, you can't let this be the 1st experience people will have with the demo/full game. Crapmasters clearly lived to its nickname.

EDIT: Even after tweaking a little bit the wheel feels inconsistent at best. Sometimes it works like it should, others it feels like I'm playing SHIFT or SHIFT 2. And now I discovered that on PS3 the game has sound issues with my Wireless Headset. Sometimes when downshifting it skips the audio (first game that has this kind of problems). I never thought I would say this but F1 2011 compared to this demo was perfect.

By the way the sound is definitely improved but what they did to KERS sound is just unbelievable. It's something I would expect from a Need for Speed Nitro game not a supposed authentic F1 game.

kharma45

So can we conclude releasing the demo was a bad move then? :lol I thought them putting one out might've been a sign of faith in their product but it seems Codies have really fucked up.

NHale

The understeer on slow corners while playing with the DFGT is unbelievable. And from what I'm seeing on their forums most people on wheels are complaining about the same thing.

F1 2010 and 2011 with a wheel felt great "out of the box". After 1 hour with the demo I can't be consistent unless I'm extra careful (driving on dry like it was wet) and brake very early because even if I brake where I should the car will understeer no matter what. It doesn't feel like the game has any physics, it feels like the game decides if "Entering speed on corner > X then Understeer"

With the PS3 controller the game controls better but it still has the same problem of losing control on straights if you touch on the analog stick to turn.

The understeer on slow corners while playing with the DFGT is unbelievable. And from what I'm seeing on their forums most people on wheels are complaining about the same thing.

F1 2010 and 2011 with a wheel felt great "out of the box". After 1 hour with the demo I can't be consistent unless I'm extra careful (driving on dry like it was wet) and brake very early because even if I brake where I should the car will understeer no matter what. It doesn't feel like the game has any physics, it feels like the game decides if "Entering speed on corner > X then Understeer"

With the PS3 controller the game controls better but it still has the same problem of losing control on straights if you touch on the analog stick to turn.

I just want to check, you are not trying to steer while your foot is on the brake, right?

NHale

So their 'improved' physics has ruined the game for wheel users?

Unless someone can find a wheel setting that fixes the problems, the DFGT experience is clearly inferior to what I had on F1 2010 and F1 2011. It's no where comparable because out of the box those games were great while F1 2012 is unplayable.

First thing I did with the game was play the Season Challenge as Maldonado at Monza. You gain control on the main straight at high speed and as soon as I gained control I crashed into a wall because I slightly pushed the wheel to the left to get to the racing line. If that is not broken "out of the box" I don't know what is. The best example is SHIFT 2 handling, this is how F1 2012 feels with the DFGT on default settings.

I just want to check, you are not trying to steer while your foot is on the brake, right?

C'mon now, I'm not stupid.

NHale

So apparently Gobo Games (who?) had a very active role developing F1 2012. They worked on this game for the entire year and their twitter account implies they were the main developer for this game. No wonder this is a complete mess and PR forgot about this game...

After playing F1 2010, 2011 and 2012 back-to-back, there is no doubt in my mind that something was dramatically changed that made the DFGT unusable in this game. It was also depressing to see that the same kerb in Abu Dhabi that caused "magic spins" in F1 2010 has the same effect in the F1 2012 demo.

Will wait for the PC Demo and further impressions from people with wheels because right now I'm still refusing to believe that my experience with the demo is what they think a DFGT user should have.

Fuckkk I hope you just have warped hands or something...

:(

I wish too. Or that the PS3 version has a terrible bug that causes DFGT wheel to be completely broken in the demo. Unfortunately driving the 3 games on the same circuit with the same wheel and only having massive problems with F1 2012 demo just leaves the possibility of the PS3 version being shit.

Gobo Games' Facebook account has a lot of F1 2012 stuff on it and their Twitter talks of a "project" they can't talk about.

Codies handing this off to a C tier team this year? :\

From Facebook:

Gobo Games
August 31
Today is our last day working on the game-that-we-can't-announce-that-we-have-been-working-on-for-the-last-year.

You'll be able to buy the game in all reputable game stores on 21st September on Xbox360, PS3 and PC.

And Codemasters are publishing it.

Can you guess what it is?

Edit: I just made this - http://community.codemasters.com/t5...le-did-they-play-in-the-game/m-p/52820#U52820

NHale

They definitely worked on the game, the question is what was their role and what was Codemasters Birmingham doing for the last 12 months. At least we know Gobo Games developed Champions Mode.

Mmmmmmm. F1 2012 - Champions Mode. I wonder which developer worked on that new feature? http://fb.me/1QLIDuO2L

Right now I don't even care about Gobo Games, I just want to try the PC demo and see if the DFGT works or not. Because if it's the same mess as I'm experiencing on the PS3, I'm afraid we're in for a treat tomorrow.

Top Bottom