• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2012 |OT| 2011 + 1

Staab

Do you mean full simulation as in damage, or tyre + fuel simulation? If it's the latter, how did you do this?

I meant damage and realistic rules, yeah not tyre and fuel simulation (they're not there)
AI is set to Legend as well and Hamilton (who is on Pole) is doing 1:22's.

Jibbed

Here's my impressions pasted over from FastestSector, I'm done with this demo.

Jibbed said:
McLaren felt pretty understeery in the YDT then, just moving on to the race with the Williams now. Give me 5 and I'll know what's what.

Edit: Fuck.

First of all, the brakes are completely screwed (I hope to god it's some setting issue). They refuse to lock up until about 30m before the corner, and then you just have massive amounts of understeer. The car will not turn in.

High-speed is ok, and I actually quite like the responsiveness of the car at speed. Minimal steering input is needed, so I guess some of the heavier-handed folk might be struggling to keep the thing square.

Edit 2: Fuck this.

Understeer is pissing me off, it seems like either..

A. The front wheels refuse to turn after a certain point, or..
B. Codemasters let some idiot set the car up for the demo.

Edit 3: I know what this is now.

The rear of the car is WAY too planted. It's literally impossible to get it to slide, and because of this, you're given no quarter at the front end. There's no way to fine-tune setup so I could be wrong, but I think it's this.

It's a combination of all the downforce being at the rear end, and the brakes being shittier than last year. If the downforce levels really are so ridiculously out of balance (eg. 0% front, 100% rear), then this could be why the brakes are shit.

I've got the wheel settings nailed so it's nothing on my end.

Dilly

Banned
How?!

Yeah, controller users seem to be having a blast whereas wheel users are fucked. What are you using Dilly?

G25. Did you only change linearity in the wheel settings? With saturation at 0, it's undriveable for me. I have it at 30.

I mean, there's a bit of understeer but I really wouldn't call it a problem since it's using default setups.

Mad_Ban

Compared to 2011 at default setups, it's fucking atrocious.

And as for it being only a wheel issue (getting worse), it really isn't. The pad experience is a lot worse and it seems to only really be the CM apologists over on the official forums who don't mind it. It's a clear step down and I'm really not fucking happy with it at this point.

_machine

I really dig the presentation and feel of high production values even though the graphics feel a bit flat and lifeless. But then I tried driving and holy hell the brakes are really something else. The weird and somewhat unexpected and unsaveable slides I can pretty much tolerate, but the brakes really ruin everything.

I haven't tried the previous games, but the pad controls felt pretty decent, but definitely behind CM's other games.

The 360 demo picks up the wireless racing wheel as a device in it's options, but man it's terrible when the car is moving fast you just over steer into walls if you are a little clumsy.

I tweaked some settings, i'll post them when I get a good feeling on the wireless wheel.

*edit* seems like there is nothing much you can do about the wireless wheel, set everything to 0 and steeling deadzone to 2% (which is 3 by default) seriously comparing the speed wheel to the ingame wheel, about 2 degrees of my movement is 10 to the game, fuck sake pad play it is this year.

I'm also understanding the brake hate more now also, this is about the 4th time i've ran the monza race and i'm overshooting all the fast corners using the wheel.

Dilly

Banned
The 360 demo picks up the wireless racing wheel as a device in it's options, but man it's terrible when the car is moving fast you just over steer into walls if you are a little clumsy.

I tweaked some settings, i'll post them when I get a good feeling on the wireless wheel.

*edit* seems like there is nothing much you can do about the wireless wheel, set everything to 0 and steeling deadzone to 2% (which is 3 by default) seriously comparing the speed wheel to the ingame wheel, about 2 degrees of my movement is 10 to the game, fuck sake pad play it is this year.

Again, saturation at 30 gives a 1:1 ratio with my wheel to ingame.

Here's my first drive in the demo using my DFGT, tried to drive it like 2012 and got my quali lap invalidated at the first corner and got DSQ'd in the race

http://youtu.be/3mT-uUcJoO4?hd=1

Understeer galore too.

Your racingline and braking points are way too inconsistent. You're just taking too much speed into corners.

I do agree that the brakes lack strength, braking points in this game are 10-30m too early.

Again, saturation at 30 gives a 1:1 ratio with my wheel to ingame.

I tried that, it just amplifies how much steer I give it to 3 times as much, at least it feels like that.

There is also a lovely wireless bug, the game does not calibrate the wheel after driving out the box or at the start of the running qualifying lap, thus if you don't tip the wireless wheel a bit then recenter it, you go shooting off to the side lol

kharma45

Your racingline and braking points are way too inconsistent. You're just taking too much speed into corners.

I do agree that the brakes lack strength, braking points in this game are 10-30m too early.

Braking is rubbish in the game as is handling, my 2011 driving isn't perfect but compare that video to our community night on Sunday (ignore the random piss filter)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gki-teJTE88

Night and day between how easy it is to drive 2011 and how much of a mess 2012 is.

Braking is rubbish in the game as is handling, my 2011 driving isn't perfect but compare that video to our community night on Sunday (ignore the random piss filter)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gki-teJTE88

Night and day between how easy it is to drive 2011 and how much of a mess 2012 is.

Ultimately, 2011 was more FUN regardless of anything else. That's the biggest kick in the balls to me. I want fun. It's not fun to drive these cars.

Orgun

Haven't tried the demo yet but from what people are saying...pCARS and rFactor 2 are lookin mighty fine right now.

I guess I'm adaptable then. Except for the brakes, those are just plain wrong.

It's not about being adatpable. I can drive a fast lap in the game, but to do so I need to drive in a way which is completely dull and feels wrong compared to 2011. I can brake at 200 instead of 150, I can take it slower in to some corners than I'm used to, etc etc, but as a series which has never been full on sim and more about the thrill of F1, it doesn't entertain me.

F1 2011 captured the feeling of what I imagine it's like to be a great F1 driver. It was challenging enough to not feel like an arcade game, but lenient enough that you could really attack the track and have fun doing so. Here I feel they've gone for a more "authentic" experience and have failed at making it anywhere near to a sim, and most importantly, failed to make it anywhere near fun to drive in comparison to last year.

Edit: Glad to see you agree about the brakes.

Dilly

Banned
It's not about being adatpable. I can drive a fast lap in the game, but to do so I need to drive in a way which is completely dull and feels wrong compared to 2011. I can brake at 200 instead of 150, I can take it slower in to some corners than I'm used to, etc etc, but as a series which has never been full on sim and more about the thrill of F1, it doesn't entertain me.

F1 2011 captured the feeling of what I imagine it's like to be a great F1 driver. It was challenging enough to not feel like an arcade game, but lenient enough that you could really attack the track and have fun doing so. Here I feel they've gone for a more "authentic" experience and have failed at making it anywhere near to a sim, and most importantly, failed to make it anywhere near fun to drive in comparison to last year.

Edit: Glad to see you agree about the brakes.

Except for the 4 wheel drifts in fast corners in F1 2011, those weren't fun at all.

I get what you're saying, but I don't find it less fun. Everything just is a bit slower compared to last year.

Also, regardless of this discussion, the track cut detection that's still not up to standards is not defendable at all.

DieH@rd

Banned
I just played the demo on G27 [had to add linearity and sens]

- crazy understeer
- slow brakes
- random penalties
- no ability to play monza with anything other than williams

:-/ After the demo..... I immediately fired up Project Cars and drove Formula A around Monza to calm down a bit.

Megasoum

Banned
Woke up thinking about that this morning lol...

2320213-brianf1.png

:-/ After the demo..... I immediately fired up Project Cars and drove Formula A around Monza to calm down a bit.
If the cars handled like the Formula A in pCARS I'd be all for them going for a more realistic model. Now there's a car that feels more authentic and is still fun to drive.

pCARS needs to get MP soon at this rate...

I should really go back to 2011, I am only a few races in and didn't give it enough attention because of the launch day faults it had, I can easily skip 2012 and look at 1000/1000 2011 this year no problem.

Thanks codies, your demo has done wonders to my wallet.

Wes

venison crêpe
Crikey your steering is so unerratic compared to mine. Going to have to have a major fiddle around with my settings
before I blame my own drivin.g

paischtu

Neo Member
Wow I actually liked the demo? It seemed to be much more optimized for PC when comparing it to 2011 where I got Bluescreens and max. 30 fps. o:

kharma45

Crikey your steering is so unerratic compared to mine. Going to have to have a major fiddle around with my settings
before I blame my own drivin.g

Yeah with the wheel the slightest adjustment is a big weave in the game for me :\

LMAO. Broken port so far.
Game starts in window mode, alt + enter does not get the game into fullscreen, nor there is an option in the graphic settings to choose between fullscreen or windowed. I can't choose any resolution above 1280x1024.

GG Codies. I'm sure I'm in the minority with these issues, but I very, very rarely come across issues with games, much less when it's stuff as this one.

I'll play it later when I know of a fix for this.

Megasoum

Banned
LMAO. Broken port so far.
Game starts in window mode, alt + enter does not get the game into fullscreen, nor there is an option in the graphic settings to choose between fullscreen or windowed. I can't choose any resolution above 1280x1024.

GG Codies. I'm sure I'm in the minority with these issues, but I very, very rarely come across issues with games, much less when it's stuff as this one.

I'll play it later when I know of a fix for this.

Every single games using the EGO engine (except Dirt 3 I think?) had the stupid bug that puts the game in windowed mode when you alt-tab. They never fixed it in like 7 years...

Every single games using the EGO engine (except Dirt 3 I think?) had the stupid bug that puts the game in windowed mode when you alt-tab. They never fixed it in like 7 years...

Yep it happened every once in a while to me. But I could go to fullscreen. I also have the 'slow keyboard' syndrome in which in all EGO Codemasters' games, when I alt tab and write something with the keyboard, my input appears delayed on screen. So if I write 250 characters without stopping, I have to watch for 30 seconds as all the letters are written on screen at a constant, slow as hell pace. I never understood this one. But I could live with this one.

DD

Didn't play the demo yet, but are you considering the fact that the amount of downforce increases at high speeds, so that would explain the oversteer on high speeds and the understeer at low speeds?

kharma45

Didn't play the demo yet, but are you considering the fact that the amount of downforce increases at high speeds, so that would explain the oversteer on high speeds and the understeer at low speeds?

True but it feels like the cars have 0 mechanical grip at times.

DD

True but it feels like the cars have 0 mechanical grip at times.

Hmm, I need to try it. Would do that yesterdey, but thanks to Slowpoke Steam and a different time-zone, I couldn't. Will do that today as soon as I get home. People are saying that it reminds more the handling of F1 2010 than 2011's, and I'm happy with that, since I think that the 2011's handling is a little too lightweight.

Dibbz

Just tried the demo on PC. I really don't understand the hate. I thought people were saying this has gone back to 2010 type handling when it actually seems it gotten even tougher than 2011. Cars actually understeer now which is great. Shame the AI still sucks ass though. Will probably get it in a sale or something down the line because it's not worth day one with AI that let's you through on any turn regardless of who has the racing line.

Oh and the graphics are a big step up from what I am used to seeing on the PS3. The rain looks so good.

Top Bottom