• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Facebook |OT| The Social Network

Dragon

Banned
Jill Sandwich said:
Eddie.gif

Yeap, time to leave the party and head off into the lonely G+ wilderness.

It's pretty soulless. G+ is such a good idea, but it sucks people are so invested in fb.

Korey

Having a GPS map of your Nike+ run on Facebook is a creepy new stalker tool

Stream dropped under 100k viewers with this new guy talking. And he's covering stuff Zuckerberg already talked about.

Angry Fork

This stuff is sounding kind of scary to be honest. Like this is the beginning of everything being connected everywhere. 10 years from now (or much less) people will be walking around with this kind of shit hard wired into them and everyone will know everything about each other (or be able to look it up within seconds). I could see that being alluring for some people but I don't think I'm ready to jump on board with shit like that yet.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
you guys realize that you can probably not be sharing things you don't want to share anyway. if you dont want to have your nike+ run mapped on facebook...THEN DONT CONNECT IT TO FACEBOOK! duh!!!111!

also, if you think you have creepy friends then unfriend them. or add them to some list where they can't see your personal shit

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Darth Pinche said:
This all sounds like things advertising and marketing execs will love, to sell us shit rather than anything that I will find useful.
@AntDeRosa: If I was a direct marketer, this #f8 would be blowing my mind right now. Profiling on steroids.

Tapiozona

Banned
davepoobond said:
you guys realize that you can probably not be sharing things you don't want to share anyway. if you dont want to have your nike+ run mapped on facebook...THEN DONT CONNECT IT TO FACEBOOK! duh!!!111!

also, if you think you have creepy friends then unfriend them. or add them to some list where they can't see your personal shit

BUT I WANT TO BITCH AND MOAN AT CHANGE!!! It's a free service which costs me no money and I of course know more about evolution and design of a social network better than any of those shitty programmers over at facebook.

edgefusion

RoadHazard said:
I "follow" loads of interesting people on G+, so no, that's not what it's about. My stream is always full of new content. It's just presented in a much cleaner way.

I don't understand this about G+, everyone says it's "cleaner" and "simpler" but it's exactly the fucking same as Facebook only it uses colour more sparsely. In what way is it presented "cleaner"? Because looking at G+ and Facebook status updates (or photo, video updates) side by side they are identical. They basic layout of the site is identical.

davepoobond said:

Oh sure, I wouldn't describe what they're announcing is necessarily bad, they've done some UI work for once, but that doesn't mean I'd want to use any of it ever.

Considering the majority of my posts are music links, any further integration of that would be great, especially with something like Spotify.

But no auto-play.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
mightynine said:
Considering the majority of my posts are music links, any further integration of that would be great, especially with something like Spotify.

But no auto-play.
This.

ecurbj

Here we go: http://t.co/U2gHFmpW

Facebook is now a Myspace in the making. Sad day for original Facebook users that like the standard work that made Facebook popular. Now its going the same route that sunk Myspace.

Fuck man...

GG-Duo

davepoobond said:

Some sites are already starting to use Facebook and Twitter as the only way to sign-in to the app. In the future I'm sure there will be apps which will force you to be social.

davepoobond said:

But I want people to know how dedicated and disciplined I am once or twice a month!

ecurbj said:

Facebook is now a Myspace in the making. Sad day for original Facebook users that like the standard work that made Facebook popular. Now its going the same route that sunk Myspace.

Fuck man...

Are you even watching the keynote? It's exactly the same, but with new features. The main page is the same, people profiles will change but you ain't going to get autoplaying music and all that shit.

ecurbj

MarkMclovin said:
Are you even watching the keynote? It's exactly the same, but with new features. The main page is the same, people profiles will change but you ain't going to get autoplaying music and all that shit.
It will only be a matter of time before people request that autoplay option dude.

"oh it will be so much better when someone visits my page they can automatically listen to my favorite song! Like Facebook!!"

Geez...

bob page

ecurbj said:

Fuck man...
Are you serious? Facebook is a FREE service. Yet they are a business that has to cover 750 million people. Would you rather have ads plastered everywhere?

And I'm pretty sure that's not what sunk Myspace. It was their failure to innovate and adapt to change, which is exactly the opposite of what Facebook is doing right now.

Enco

bob page said:
Are you serious? Facebook is a FREE service. Yet they are a business that has to cover 750 million people. Would you rather have ads plastered everywhere?

And I'm pretty sure that's not what sunk Myspace. It was their failure to innovate and adapt to change, which is exactly the opposite of what Facebook is doing right now.
Same people who said facebook would be over within a year of going public.

Or that it'll be dead when the design changed.. every time it changed.

ultron87

ecurbj said:
It will only be a matter of time before people request that autoplay option dude.

"oh it will be so much better when someone visits my page they can automatically listen to my favorite song! Like Facebook!!"

Geez...

I'm pretty sure the people at Facebook are smart enough to never implement such a thing.

giga

ecurbj said:

Geez...
So…you're talking out of your ass?

Tapiozona

Banned
bob page said:

Ding Ding. Well said.
People just love to bitch about new things.

ecurbj

samus i am said:
This is why I never defriend my ex's

They won't.
I have a few already on it. The main reason some won't because they will say to themselves "oh no, another social networking site? I'm not making another one. I just made a Facebook."

ecurbj said:

Geez...

But you won't see anything like that on the status wall. The most you will get, is a ticker saying that ***** is listening to ****.

That's it.

Not only that, but it's customisable.

Korey

davepoobond said:

So don't use it unless you're not afraid of getting kidnapped/stalked? Great feature!

Enco

I think this update is encouraging the removal of non friends on facebook.

If you only have close friends/family on there, it can be pretty great.

Top Bottom