• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Facebook |OT| The Social Network

edgefusion

bob page said:
Poor Google+ team... they were struggling hard to keep up as it is, and after the past few days of Facebook updates, they're miles behind again.

That's what you get when all you can manage is a wholesale rip-off with a few sideways innovations.

renitou

AstroLad said:
I think the issue on FB has always been the weird pressure to add people since it's a reciprocal system. You ding someone you're basically saying FU. So people wind up caving and then sharing with and reading from people they hated in high school, colleagues they barely knew from old jobs years ago, etc. Not that there aren't ways to get around this, but very few people are even tech-savvy enough to properly use those. Doesn't help that FB is always messing around with privacy settings too and defaulting people to maxshare.
Having a backbone and some common sense, for example.

Feep

Banned
giga said:
This is damn good design. They have some really talented guys up there. After this ships and people get used to it, we'll all look back at our old profiles full of wall posts and status updates and think to ourselves how we ever lived like that.

cover2.jpg

NK8F1kruMU0.jpg
Facebook redeemed. This is fucking awesome, and demolishes the current layout.

Entropia

No One Remembers
It really does just look like a Facebook skin on MySpace with inclusions of various app/features that Facebook has.

kaskade

I actually really like the layout, especially seeing how it is there. I know people are going to hate it in the beginning but it is an improvement.

saelz8

giga said:
Awww yeah.

hZwxt.png

Developers: go to the developer portal and then start using open graph in your app. Then you'll get that notification in your profile.
I'm not seeing it.

Nvmind, got it.

GCX

The new profile page looks trillion times better than the current one.

I mean just go to your profile and look at that total disaster of graphic design.

saelz8

I'm in.

Says - Your timeline goes live on Thursday, September 29, 2011. So, no one can see the change, also everyones profile is still vintage.

jtb

Banned
the only thing I don't like about the timeline (and it looks fucking beautiful and powerful) - is that it looks like this marks the end of the wall? :(

giga said:
Awww yeah.

hZwxt.png

Developers: go to the developer portal and then start using open graph in your app. Then you'll get that notification in your profile.

oh wow.

really takes a lot of work to make it as pretty as the examples.

Welcome to Your Timeline - Developer Release
Your timeline currently features your top photos and posts. Right now, only you can see what's here. Take a tour and star, hide or add whatever you want. Then click Publish Now or wait until your timeline goes live on Thursday, September 29, 2011.

there ya go, guys.

giga

the walrus said:
the only thing I don't like about the timeline (and it looks fucking beautiful and powerful) - is that it looks like this marks the end of the wall? :(
No, your wall is still there. Just imagine the little boxes on the left and right as wall posts instead of photos.

Also, you don't have to use the banner (they call it the "cover" photo) if you don't want to.

IceCold

esquire said:
I can see how Facebook might suck if you are a social outcast or you have boring friends.

Right.... you are aware that a lot of people who are super active on facebook do so because they are insecure and want to give the illusion they are having an awesome life right?

edgefusion

How is the new profile "messy" or "confusing" exactly? It's a timeline guys, come on. Chronological order going backwards and all that.

TDLink

Giga: Where exactly do you enable the Timeline functionality? I have added Open Graph to my app but I am not getting a notification or anything.

EDIT: Scratch that, just now showed up for me.

Radec

That is gorgeous.

And :lol at those people who think it is myspace-ish. You guys are trying too hard.

Also, I visited Friendster earlier, and wow, It doesn't even resembles to the old friendster a few years back. It looked like a casual game forum or something.

I love the banner idea. Might actually get me to use my Facebook and personalize it more. My only worry is ease of use and whether this is going to be a cluttered mess six months down the road.

artist

Banned
TDLink said:
Giga: Where exactly do you enable the Timeline functionality? I have added Open Graph to my app but I am not getting a notification or anything.

EDIT: Scratch that, just now showed up for me.
How did you add the Open Graph app?

Xrenity

Like the timeline in a personal log kind of way... Not sure yet if I want everybody to see it.

And the left/right thing is kind of weird.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Just looking at the pictures of timeline, and going back to my profile now, it already makes my now profile look ancient, can't wait to get a hold of this, and the top banner part is great.

ultron87

I love how the banner lets you personalize your page without giving people the option to ruin the slick design with some shitty background or something.

Enco

ultron87 said:
I love how the banner lets you personalize your page without giving people the option to ruin the slick design with some shitty background or something.
And hopefully they never let you add backgrounds (don't think they would).

Anyone not a dev got it?

hyp

tbe grid format is definitely looking like the myspace of today. can't say i dig it, but facebook is definitely pushing me away as a user.

Radec

ultron87 said:

true.

I hope it stays that way.

saelz8

DMPrince said:
using it so far. unsure what to make of it.
I don't like it.

The design doesn't jive with the News Feed. The formatting of past posts is splotchy. It's almost as if it was designed to be primarily a photo blog.

I can't help but feel a lot of space is wasted.

TDLink

Feep said:
Wait, how did you guys get Timeline active? When I signed up, it just said "Coming Soon".

Facebook Developers can access it now.

irfan said:
How did you add the Open Graph app?

It is an option on the left side of your developer app dashboard after you select one of your apps.

Korey

edgefusion said:
How is the new profile "messy" or "confusing" exactly? It's a timeline guys, come on. Chronological order going backwards and all that.
It's chronologically spread over two same sized columns. It's hard to read. Imagine a book where each paragraph are in alternate columns

You think this is easier to read than your current feed of one column? https://www.facebook.com/about/timeline

Feep

Banned
What does being a Facebook developer entail? Can I just hit sign-me-up, somewhere?

Edit: Apparently I am a Facebook developer, from a long time ago, just messing around. How can I activate Timeline?

Fireblend

Banned
Korey said:
It's hard to read. Imagine a book where each paragraph are in alternate columns
I read through House of Leaves. I can handle this.

Anyway though, it's a stupid comparison. These are scraps, loose comments, pictures from your last outing. Mostly unrelated and therefor hardly an appropriate comparison.

bob page said:
Once again, you're forgetting what mySpace looked like:

kNJOZ.png

How are they in any ways similar? Saying that is like saying all websites look similar.

6a00d83451b36c69e20133f2ffb065970b-800wi.jpg

this was also my space. YOU can pick bad user front page

Maddog

Feep said:
What does being a Facebook developer entail? Can I just hit sign-me-up, somewhere?

Edit: Apparently I am a Facebook developer, from a long time ago, just messing around. How can I activate Timeline?

By reading the posts in this thread.

Feep

Banned
Maddog said:
By reading the posts in this thread.
(shrug) I assumed there was another way to activate it, as hitting the button on the public page didn't give me immediate access. Apparently you need to have a published app, or something.

No need to be a dick.

Top Bottom