• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Facebook |OT| The Social Network

bob page

brotkasten said:
It looks like everyone from the Verge hates it, which means the podcast today is going to be awesome. :lol
They never liked Facebook to begin with, so nothing new here.

Ben Parr:
So, Facebook has a lot more to announce in the next few weeks. This is just the first half of the #f8 story.

Enco

Timeline beta nowwwww!!

Roll out over new few weeks.

Open graph as timeline is rolled out.

A few apps get open graph early.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
MarkMclovin said:
You have kidnappers as friends?
I think the issue on FB has always been the weird pressure to add people since it's a reciprocal system. You ding someone you're basically saying FU. So people wind up caving and then sharing with and reading from people they hated in high school, colleagues they barely knew from old jobs years ago, etc. Not that there aren't ways to get around this, but very few people are even tech-savvy enough to properly use those. Doesn't help that FB is always messing around with privacy settings too and defaulting people to maxshare.

@futurepaul: "Yeah, he's cute and interesting and funny and all, but I'm just not that into his Timeline."

I can totally see it.

ecurbj

giga said:
When you're trying to predict things that will likely never happen, yes.
leaving.gif

Korey

MarkMclovin said:
You have kidnappers as friends?
You wouldn't know they're a kidnapper until they kidnap you. Even then you might not know because you'd be blindfolded. And by then it's too late to wonder what if you hadn't used that Nike+ Facebook GPS app that maps your exact jogging pattern and schedule

AstroLad said:
I think the issue on FB has always been the weird pressure to add people since it's a reciprocal system.

I agree that it used to be, but as I add more and more content personal to me, I wonder if so-and-so should have access to that.

This year is the first time I have started to delete people. If I haven't talked to you in years or if I feel that I don't know you enough for you to know a lot about me, then I'll delete you.

If people are tech-savvy enough to put their lives up onto FB, then they should also know how to adjust their privacy settings.

Enco

MarkMclovin said:
I agree that it used to be, but as I add more and more content personal to me, I wonder if so-and-so should have access to that.

This year is the first time I have started to delete people. If I haven't talked to you in years or if I feel that I don't know you enough for you to know a lot about me, then I'll delete you.

If people are tech-savvy enough to put their lives up onto FB, then they should also know how to adjust their privacy settings.

Great move, setting people up to reveal even more about themselves, gather all their data together, analyze and PROFIT, I'll probs be deleting fb anyway if I dislike the changes

bob page

kaskade said:
So no iPad app what the fuck?
Yeah, this is perhaps what I'm most disappointed about. An iPad version is already in the damn app, Facebook, why don't you just unlock it already?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
JonathanEx said:
Oh sure, I wouldn't describe what they're announcing is necessarily bad, they've done some UI work for once, but that doesn't mean I'd want to use any of it ever.

obviously they didn't design every part of facebook to be used by every single person. each part of facebook appeals to a particular need that may only be present in 20% at the current time. the point of developing these new UIs is so that if it grows or becomes necessary to have in the future, they already have it.

they have to innovate otherwise they get left behind. Google+ may have scared them a little bit into launching some features early, but I don't think anyone can pretend they didn't have a majority of these features planned out for the past year or two.

page designs come and go as per usual, so they probably only really decided to do something new the past couple months. they're really not hard to make new profile designs quickly.

Xrenity

brotkasten said:
You know, the iPad isn't a mobile device. It's more like a computer and computer can access Facebook through the browser.

Makes sense, right?
They've said they're working on it.

esquire

Has waited diligently to think of something to say before making this post
kaskade said:
So no iPad app what the fuck?

Does Facebook use Flash, Javascript or something else? I would think their main issue with an iPad app is that it would change the way FB already works (and they'd probably want you to just visit their site through the browser anyway).

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
GG-Duo said:
Some sites are already starting to use Facebook and Twitter as the only way to sign-in to the app. In the future I'm sure there will be apps which will force you to be social.

so then create a dummy account that no one you know can see and isn't connected to you. its not that hard to figure out.

Korey said:
So don't use it unless you're not afraid of getting kidnapped/stalked? Great feature!

you mean great web site. THAT'S WHAT FACEBOOK IS TO THE VERY CORE. if you dont want to even have anyone know anything about what is going on with you you shouldnt even have a facebook to begin with!

Korey said:
You wouldn't know they're a kidnapper until they kidnap you. Even then you might not know because you'd be blindfolded. And by then it's too late to wonder what if you hadn't used that Nike+ Facebook GPS app that maps your exact jogging pattern and schedule

Haha, well at least we'll know where your body has been dumped!

bob page

giga said:
iPad app probably won't be out until Timeline ships.
Hopefully they delayed it to add some sort of Timeline functionality. If it's the same as the crappy regular mobile version, though, I'll be pretty disappointed and will keep on using the web version.

bob page

Vega said:
has anybody been able to click the timeline sign up button yet?
I clicked it when they launched that Timeline splash page. Once I clicked it, I got a popup saying I'll be notified when it's available.

giga

This is damn good design. They have some really talented guys up there. After this ships and people get used to it, we'll all look back at our old profiles full of wall posts and status updates and think to ourselves how we ever lived like that.

cover2.jpg

NK8F1kruMU0.jpg

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Timeline....

wait a second... the last thing I want in the world is for people to cruise my past. Who the hell loves their past? Who wants to show it to people? It's like a credit report or something.

Do not want. (but admittedly maybe I don't get it yet... I didn't watch the F8 conference).

esquire

Has waited diligently to think of something to say before making this post
giga said:
This is damn good design. They have some really talented guys up there. After this ships and people get used to it, we'll all look back at our old profiles full of wall posts and status updates and think to ourselves how we ever lived like that.

https://www.facebook.com/images/profile/timeline/marketing/cover2.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]https://s-static.ak.facebook.com/rsrc.php/v1/yt/r/NK8F1kruMU0.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I can see how Facebook might suck if you are a social outcast or you have boring friends.

giga said:

I'm not so keen on the massive photo at the top. Sure some people will have a really nice banner, but the average profile is likely to look a little crappy

Vega

I gotta say, my timeline is gonna be dull as shit. I don't get to world travel like the Facebook execs do. :'(

jtb

Banned
BocoDragon said:
Timeline....

wait a second... the last thing I want in the world is for people to cruise my past. Who the hell loves their past? Who wants to show it to people? It's like a credit report or something.

Do not want. (but admittedly maybe I don't get it yet... I didn't watch the F8 conference).

It's like Facebook is now, I think. You share as much or as little as you want. So, you can add stuff in the present (books, movies, etc.), without necessarily going back in time and filling in the gaps. That's what I got out of it, at least.

bob page

Poor Google+ team... they were struggling hard to keep up as it is, and after the past few days of Facebook updates, they're miles behind again.

Mr_Zombie

You can get access to "Open Graph" if you're a facebook developer.

esquire said:
I can see how Facebook might suck if you are a social outcast or you have boring friends.

I have just few pictures on my profile and I've been tagged only once.
My new profile page will look so empty :(

jtb

Banned
Mr_Zombie said:
I have just few pictures on my profile and I've been tagged only once.
My new profile page will look so empty :(

likes, status updates, check-ins, etc.... unless you absolutely never use your Facebook, I think you'll be fine.

Marius_ said:
Its always been.

So are they really getting rid of the wall? I dont see it

I'd assume not, the wall is a major driver of traffic based on the usage patterns I see. That said I'm curious as to how it fits in with the timeline; during the presentation it certainly came across as being your new profile. I'd guess that they are separated somehow in the new iteration.

giga

Awww yeah.

hZwxt.png

Developers: go to the developer portal and then start using open graph in your app. Then you'll get that notification in your profile.

Top Bottom