• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FACT : Entire Russian Olympic team not banned from Rio

Status
Not open for further replies.

atr0cious

Just the typical media fearmongering indocrination working as intended.
This makes no sense, the global medical community is begging for funding to fight something that could effectively stop human reproduction, and its fear mongering? Not to mention the places they're supposed to swim is literally sewage.

Yiazmat

Aliya Mustafina is coming for you IOC.

Aliya-Mustafina-290x290.jpg

I was about to post this same picture lol

They cannot ban the queen! We need some russian gymnastic tears at the olympics, but not like this.

sangreal

This makes no sense, the global medical community is begging for funding to fight something that could effectively stop human reproduction, and its fear mongering? Not to mention the places they're supposed to swim is literally sewage.

Zika is not going to stop human reproduction. It lasts a few weeks

So yes it seems there is some fear mongering

how in the world does this relate to that? you are one sick person, because doping is exactly the same as child abuse, for fucks sake
Think about the analogy and come back and post. If what you got out of that is that child abuse is equivalent to sports doping, go back and read again.

A blessing in disguise, low key. I can't believe how many athletes, particularly rich and successful athletes, are willing to risk catching that Zika for a gold medal. FOH.

Its sad that Rio is in such poor shape. I wish things were better there, the athletes don't deserve those terrible conditions. And most certainly the people that live there in the first place.

Zika is not going to stop human reproduction. It lasts a few weeks

So yes it seems there is some fear mongering

Exactly. There is a lot of misinformation about Zika in here. It isn't a permanent thing, can be easily prevented from spreading, and the vast majority of people won't even know that they contracted it at all. Symptoms don't manifest in most individuals and pass within a short period of time.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

STOP. HUMAN. REPRODUCTION.

No, it's not fear mongering at all. You're right, I'm sorry.

kmfdmpig

The medical experts most likely to have a good grasp on the risks, the WHO, don't recommend cancellation or moving the Olympics.
They say that the risk is "very low", so I think that saying that it is fear mongering is fair.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-36532935

Based on the responses in this thread it seems that people have absolutely no idea what zika is... Kind of sad state of the media. The only job they are good at is scaring people... No wonder that Trump has chance of becoming a president.

Lol. Did tou just watch Children of men or something?

Savitar

Considering the state of Rio and everything coming out of there being banned might be a huge blessing in disguise.

kmfdmpig

Based on the responses in this thread it seems that people have absolutely no idea what zika is... Kind of sad state of the media. The only job they are good at is scaring people... No wonder that Trump has chance of becoming a president.

The media in the US is terrible with this type of thing.
Bird flu
Ebola
and Zika were all massively overstated as threats to all of us.

atr0cious

STOP. HUMAN. REPRODUCTION.

No, it's not fear mongering at all. You're right, I'm sorry.
Women are dying from mutated yeast infections now, you're saying zika won't ever mutate? We still know little about the disease, and it seems they're relying on the mosquito population to not be as huge in the mean time. We have no clue what will happen when the different cultures of germs from all over the world go there.

Probably a good idea. While there is no way to completely stop doping, state sponsored cheating should be treated with a scorched earth response.

Shiggy

I seriously doubt that they will ban the entire Russian team. Bach and some other higher ups are in bed with Putin and have tried for months to avoid banning the entire Russian team.

There was also that incident when the entire under 18 hockey team had to be replaced because of failed drug tests. Kids made to take drugs, gg wp

This.

Gotta love the gaf doping defense force. Ignoring the dramatic negative health effects on athletes and that if they are allowed many countries WILL use them on kids just to win.

....but no. PED's should be legal because we cannot stop everyone. Same moronic argument that gun control opponents use. "We can't stop all guns so we shouldn't even try."

Leopold

I remember some American tourists buying Nestle bottled water to shower in Rio some years ago, as they were afraid of catching diseases.

So you can see how far american exceptionalism and media fearmongering managed to warp their views.

Acorn

This.

Gotta love the gaf doping defense force. Ignoring the dramatic negative health effects on athletes and that if they are allowed many countries WILL use them on kids just to win.

....but no. PED's should be legal because we cannot stop everyone. Same moronic argument that gun control opponents use. "We can't stop all guns so we shouldn't even try."
In the bork lesnar pissing hot threads there was a few saying ufc should drop screening and turn into Mutant Fighting Championship essentially.

El-Suave

I'd ban every sport where even a single name popped up. A complete ban would cause too much political tension though outside of sports.
Edit: Basically ban them all but offer them something to save face, even if they probably don't deserve it.

Nivash

Women are dying from mutated yeast infections now, you're saying zika won't ever mutate? We still know little about the disease, and it seems they're relying on the mosquito population to not be as huge in the mean time. We have no clue what will happen when the different cultures of germs from all over the world go there.

We don't know much about Zika because it's a fairly benign disease outside of the increased microcephaly risk, which was in turn hidden by the high infant mortality rates in the poor countries it has been active in since forever. Also, it's not some kind of apocalyptic risk: there have been increases in the rates of babies born with microcephaly by over 400 % in areas of Brazil with Zika, true, but we're talking about an increase from 0.6 to 2.8 out of 10.000 live births. From a societal perspective, it's negligible.

And to counter some of the more common misconceptions:

- No, it doesn't stay in you forever. It stays for what looks like a few weeks. After that you are likely immune.

- Current findings suggest no transmission route beyond sexual from male to female and by mosquito bite, and only during the weeks you are a carrier. We also don't know the actual transmission rate, just that it's possible.

- There have been concerns about Zika mosquitoes jumping a plane and spreading to other countries that way, but that could happen anytime. It has nothing directly to do with the Olympic Games.

As always: ignore the media, read what the CDC and WHO say instead.

https://www.cdc.gov/zika/

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/zika/en/

You also have a misconception about mutations. Viruses mutate randomly according to their inherent mutation rate, it's not affected by the presence of other pathogens. Also, there's no reason to think that mutation will make it more dangerous. Mutations are random and will lean towards traits over time that make the virus more competitive, yes, but increased virulence is not one such trait. Mutations are also limited to the size and existing traits of the virus: they can't be too drastic because the virus needs the traits it already has. Dramatic changes in behaviour is extremely uncommon because of this, and complete transformations are borderline impossible.

http://www.virology.ws/2016/04/14/zika-virus-like-all-other-viruses-is-mutating/

You want something to freak out about? Check out global antibiotic resistance. Prevailing patterns suggest that we will be unable to treat many dangerous bacterial infections in just a few decades, possible sooner. We're heading back to the times when even healthy people could die suddenly from a small nick or from something that looked like a cold. Now that's an ongoing and seemingly unstoppable global medical apocalypse in the making.

atr0cious

We don't know about Zika because it's a fairly benign disease outside of the increased microcephaly risk, which was in turn hidden by the high infant mortality rates in the poor countries it has been active in since forever. Also, it's not some kind of apocalyptic risk: there have been increases in the rates of babies born with microcephaly by over 400 % in areas of Brazil with Zika, true, but we're talking about an increase from 0.6 to 2.8 out of 10.000 live births. From a societal perspective, it's negligible.

And to counter some of the more common misconceptions:

- No, it doesn't stay in you forever. It stays for what looks like a few weeks. After that you are likely immune.

- Current findings suggest no transmission route beyond sexual from male to female and by mosquito bite, and only during the weeks you are a carrier. We also don't know the actual transmission rate, just that it's possible.

- There have been concerns about Zika mosquitoes jumping a plane and spreading to other countries that way, but that could happen anytime. It has nothing directly to do with the Olympic Games.

As always: ignore the media, read what the CDC and WHO say instead.

https://www.cdc.gov/zika/

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/zika/en/

You also have a misconception about mutations. Viruses mutate randomly according to their inherent mutation rate, it's not affected by the presence of other pathogens. Also, there's no reason to think that mutation will make it more dangerous. Mutations are random and will lean towards traits over time that make the virus more competitive, yes, but increased virulence is not one such trait. Mutations are also limited to the size and existing traits of the virus: they can't be too drastic because the virus needs the traits it already has. Dramatic changes in behaviour is extremely uncommon because of this, and complete transformations are borderline impossible.

http://www.virology.ws/2016/04/14/zika-virus-like-all-other-viruses-is-mutating/

You want something to freak out about? Check out global antibiotic resistance. Prevailing patterns suggest that we will be unable to treat many dangerous bacterial infections in just a few decades, possible sooner. We're heading back to the times when even healthy people could die suddenly from a small nick or from something that looked like a cold. Now that's an ongoing and seemingly unstoppable global medical apocalypse in the making.
Is the defect rate just because of their region in relation to the mosquitos? I'm more worried about the unique opportunity that is the olympics. If it was just another day, I'd be worried but not really. But we have people from all over the globe headed to a budding virus' breeding grounds. Olympics are fuck fests, amd I don't think canceling the olympics in an impoverished country that can't even handle it to begin with, is fear mongering. Well aware of the anitbiotic thing, it's where the mutated yeast infections are coming from, since it's bred in hospitals, apparently incurable at the moment.

Don't think any of the athletes are pregnant

You are wrong comrade. First week of pregnancy are big boost to female metabolism. Very good performance increase. Lots of female athlete try to have tons of sex right before sport events for this reasons.

Olympic village are huge Orgy towns

Joni

It is necessary, but I'm certainly going to miss some performers.

You are wrong comrade. First week of pregnancy are big boost to female metabolism. Very good performance increase. Lots of female athlete try to have tons of sex right before sport events for this reasons.

Doesn't that usually happen because there are thousands hot people cooped together in a small town right after their performance?

Nivash

Is the defect rate just because of their region in relation to the mosquitos? I'm more worried about the unique opportunity that is the olympics. If it was just another day, I'd be worried but not really. But we have people from all over the globe headed to a budding virus' breeding grounds. Olympics are fuck fests, amd I don't think canceling the olympics in an impoverished country that can't even handle it to begin with, is fear mongering. Well aware of the anitbiotic thing, it's where the mutated yeast infections are coming from, since it's bred in hospitals, apparently incurable at the moment.

The defect rate is based on the difference between regions recently hit by Zika compared to others that haven't been hit yet, yes. The actual, stable rate is likely much lower. The population is naive in the microbiological sense of the word; because there have been no previous infections no one is immune - in a generation or so the rate will most likely drop sharply, because many more women will have been infected as children and adolescents and achieved immunity by the time they're pregnant.

And as for the fuckfest, that's a problem for the fuckfesters that they can avoid by using condoms - something they should be using anyway in order to avoid much scarier STDs than Zika.

Antibiotic (and in your case, antimykotic) resistance is a special case. It's a monster of our own making. We've literally bred it into existance by overusing antimicrobial agents to the point that we've forced the pathogens to evolve into forms that can handle it. We couldn't have done a better job if we tried to engineer the resistance. However, it has nothing to do with Zika, Ebola or other viral diseases, they don't face the same forced evolution.

Zaph

I couldn't believe this is an actual thing and googled it. 'Abortion doping', what a world...

Unsurprisingly, there's no consensus on how common it is. Some say it's completely unfounded, other's claim it's an actual worldwide athletic phenomenon.

Good on the IOC if they have the balls to go ahead with this. Can't help but feel bad for the athletes who will miss out though. I'm sure there are a fair few of them who don't dope, or were coerced into it by coaches.

For me, track and field is as tainted as the Tour de France now. Every time I see a great performance, I can't help but wonder if PEDs are involved. I find it hard to believe Bolt is clean, but it would be awful for athletics if he was caught.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom