• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FACT : Entire Russian Olympic team not banned from Rio

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I'm not surprised in the slightest. I fully expected this outcome. Those spineless toadying execs. It's shameful really.

Kid Ying

Zika is not going to stop human reproduction. It lasts a few weeks

So yes it seems there is some fear mongering
Not even a few weeks. I had it and it lasted five days maximum. It itched a lot aaaand that's about it.

Of course i wouldn't tell any women that is pregnant or plans to be soon, but for any other case it's fine.

Zika is not even the focus on News here anymore.

Koren

I'm just wonder because this was the very first time I heard anyone speaking fearfully about Zika.
Depends on your "fearfully"... A friend of mine is pregnant, and there was a couple warnings about possible zika risks in southern France. I think they've changed theirs plans for their summer holydays trip. Not because of "fear", but just to be cautious...

I imagine Russia doesn't bother doping its athletes that are not contenders (the vast bulk of the athletes) due to the risk of getting caught, and those athletes having less incentive to keep quiet.

If there are any such athletes -- and doping is pervasive at EVERY level of athletics -- those athletes are not being wronged here, because they never would have qualified for the Olympics in the first place.

NewDust

I think the decision is pretty fair. A blanket ban seemed a little over the top.

Yeah, I'm genuinely surprised by the overall disappointment of this decision. Not all Russians are dopers and you can be assured they are going to be tested to hell these olympics.

The rule of just banning Russians with a history of dope, and not all athletes which have been found guilty of doping, is what upsets me. (and no, I'm not Russian)

kmfdmpig

I'm just wonder because this was the very first time I heard anyone speaking fearfully about Zika.

Rory Mcilroy, definitely not American, withdrew from the Olympics because of it.

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/16414738/rory-mcilroy-withdraws-olympic-games-amid-zika-fears

This has a list, and many are non-Americans.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/0/rio-olympics-which-athletes-have-withdrawn-over-zika-fears/

Yeah, I'm genuinely surprised by the overall disappointment of this decision. Not all Russians are dopers and you can be assured they are going to be tested to hell these olympics.

The rule of just banning Russians with a history of dope, and not all athletes which have been found guilty of doping, is what upsets me. (and no, I'm not Russian)

Having doping state sponsored, and hidden using government spying agencies and finding proof of it is a bit of a game changer. That's quite different from an individual athlete or trainer going that route, although both should be treated seriously.

Kid Ying

Depends on your "fearfully"... A friend of mine is pregnant, and there was a couple warnings about possible zika risks in southern France. I think they've changed theirs plans for their summer holydays trip. Not because of "fear", but just to be cautious...
And they have every right to do so. As someone who lives in Rio, i wouldn't tell any pregnant women to travel here. I don't know anyone else who had Zika, but a risk is a risk.

For people in normal conditions though? I think it's okay. The chance of getting Zika is already slim and even if they got it, nothing will change in their lives.

And about the water: Some places are good, some places are not. The places where people are going to swim are okay, the rowing places are not good, but nothing awful. Sailing places are bad.

Wow I thought for sure they were getting banned since all the news outlets and everything were talking about it like it was a sure thing.

Lenz44

Banned
If your government is using your spy agencies and other secretive upper tier government agencies to cheat on such a wide level, don't be shocked if you aren't allowed to go to the Olympics. Don't go blaming the IOC. If Russia wasn't cheating on such a grand scale this wouldn't have happened. The clean Russian athletes can get pissed at their government and their doping syndicate.

It's like when Penn State got the sanctions from the Sandusky fallout and people said it wasn't fair. The program is getting punished, so it doesn't happen again.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think the decision is pretty fair. A blanket ban seemed a little over the top.

You had state-sponsored doping. The entire system is corrupt. It's a lot like why the NCAA punishes programs and not athletes for serious transgressions. There is no institutional control (in this case, there was institutional SUPPORT for it!).

It's unfair to the clean athletes, sure.

Zaph

Good to hear. The Olympics will be better with their participation.

image.php

MIMIC

Banned
You had state-sponsored doping. The entire system is corrupt. It's a lot like why the NCAA punishes programs and not athletes for serious transgressions. There is no institutional control (in this case, there was institutional SUPPORT for it!).

It's unfair to the clean athletes, sure.

Well I think it would have been justified if the affected sports programs were banned.

NewDust

Having doping state sponsored, and hidden using government spying agencies and finding proof of it is a bit of a game changer. That's quite different from an individual athlete or trainer going that route, although both should be treated seriously.

Oh I'm not saying it isn't quite different, but I have difficulty with sanctioning athletes "guilty until proven innocent".

My solution would have been to allow the placed athletes, but not under the Russian flag. And of course have them rigorously tested.

Shiggy

This was to be expected, as said earlier. Bach is in bed with Putin.

Cannot wait for more coverage by Hajo Seppelt who uncovered all of this initially.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom