• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FACT : Entire Russian Olympic team not banned from Rio

Status
Not open for further replies.

jelly

I would laugh if the FSB outed all the other drug cheats and dodgy deals in other countries as revenge. Russia are blatantly bad but there is no doubt loads of others. Watch your back unfortunately for the IOC etc.

Women are dying from mutated yeast infections now, you're saying zika won't ever mutate? We still know little about the disease, and it seems they're relying on the mosquito population to not be as huge in the mean time. We have no clue what will happen when the different cultures of germs from all over the world go there.

The dumbest argument I have heard.

The common cold could mutate. OH NOES!

WTF is a "germ culture"? You do realize that germs interbreeding to form superbugs only happens in your imagination right?

Zika is a serious issue, but this type of stupidity when discussing it doesn't help.

doby

Russia are so sloppy. They got carried away and someone blew the whistle, it was only a matter of time.

SJRB

Gold Member
A bit late for that, considering the Olympics start in like a week.

Not to mention the substitute teams who have no time to prep.

Not to mention the substitute teams who have no time to prep.

What "substitute teams"?

In most events countries are limited to a certain number of slots per event, and the number doesn't increase if fewer countries attend.

It does suck for Russian athletes (the clean ones anyways) to be strung out this long.

Should ban the games from Rio

Far too late for that and even if it occurred it would have little to no positive impact.

1. Most things are already paid for. The money is gone... there would be no savings.

2. Most of the athletes are in no-money sports. Canceling it now would just screw over their entire careers.

3. This time of year is relatively bad for mosquitoes and it isn't expected to be a huge risk.

It isn't happening. So why do we feel the need to pollute the thread with the discussion when it isn't even really relevant to the topic?

mclem

I do feel sorry for the individual athletes, many of whom may be completely clean and blameless (I daresay there's a number of low-profile events that aren't big enough for the government to care about; I suspect there's no state-sponsored slalom canoeist doping!)

There is a 'country', "Independent Olympians" - that competes under the Olympic flag, and strikes me as a useful loophole to not exclude such athletes.

- and when I look up the details on Independent Olympians, I discover that that loophole is indeed in place: although not actually accepted for many people

Hyun Sai

I'm in an island touched by the Zika.

Unless you're a pregnant woman or in a so weakened state that catching a cold could kill you, there is nothing to worry about.

think they are talking about events where Russian team will be excluded so next team in line from whatever highest country that missed the slot by 1 would be bumped up

like gymnastics: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_gymnasts_at_the_2016_Summer_Olympics

male team qualified. would be bumped out. Romanian male team would be bumped up.

same for female, which would bump up Australia.

Ah. I suppose that makes sense, but will probably only affect a handful of events.

I couldn't believe this is an actual thing and googled it. 'Abortion doping', what a world...

Unsurprisingly, there's no consensus on how common it is. Some say it's completely unfounded, other's claim it's an actual worldwide athletic phenomenon.

It was very common in USSR from what people told me in my time in russia and it had very dark implications (underaged gymnast being more or less raped by their trainers, same for ice skaters etc..) because it was in USSR and for the glory of sports there were never any records nor complaints. Hell, crime and serial killers weren't even acknowledge back then

MikeDown

Banned
That is a shitty think for the IOC to do. It's not far to the athleates that are clean. And then we wonder why there is a divide between the West and Russia, it is because of shit like this.

That is a shitty think for the IOC to do. It's not far to the athleates that are clean. And then we wonder why there is a divide between the West and Russia, it is because of shit like this.

...or the government could just.... you know... not cheat?

If the athletes who are wrong want someone to blame, they can blame their government.

Due to the extent and sophistication of the doping program there is NO WAY for the IOC to determine who is innocent or guilty in the country as far as athletes go.

Then they should blame their own country for cheating. Line has to be drawn somewhere and I fully support banning a country if that country actively has their athletes cheat.

doby

Rumors are very mixed, sources now say there won't be an automatic ban and instead will leave it up to the relevant sport federations. Basically passing the buck.

Press conference due in around 35 minutes for official announcement.

kmfdmpig

It's hard to imagine that many athletes would be clean when they represent a country that goes to such lengths to systematically cheat. It seems like it would be hard for a Russian athlete to simply say "no thanks" given how much focus and state directed effort was put into this cheating program.

1o5nh4i.gif
Amazing.

It's hard to imagine that many athletes would be clean when they represent a country that goes to such lengths to systematically cheat. It seems like it would be hard for a Russian athlete to simply say "no thanks" given how much focus and state directed effort was put into this cheating program.

I imagine Russia doesn't bother doping its athletes that are not contenders (the vast bulk of the athletes) due to the risk of getting caught, and those athletes having less incentive to keep quiet.

Arc

It wasn't fair for the NFL to suspend Tom Brady for something disproved by science yet here we are. Life isn't fair.

kmfdmpig

I imagine Russia doesn't bother doping its athletes that are not contenders (the vast bulk of the athletes) due to the risk of getting caught, and those athletes having less incentive to keep quiet.

Good point. I should have said "relevant athletes" as you're right that there would be no point (even for a callous and corrupt regime) to have someone ranked 85 in the world cheat so that they could be 72 instead.

Oriel

The 'woe is me' persecution complex coming from Russia Today will be off the scales. Popcorn time.

And yeah, fuck Putin.

MikeDown

Banned
...or the government could just.... you know... not cheat?

If the athletes who are wrong want someone to blame, they can blame their government.

Due to the extent and sophistication of the doping program there is NO WAY for the IOC to determine who is innocent or guilty in the country as far as athletes go.
Doping isn't mutually exclusive to Russia, in the United States there are various sponsors & coaches push their athletes into various types of doping. No question that Russia's state sponsored doping program is wrong and isn't fair to other clean athletes that are competing, but to a ban a 300 plus team is overkill. There is no need. The decision isn't based on rationality, it is based on geopolitics and is meant as a big fuck you to Russia. Which unfortunately is what the Olympics have kinda always been about.

Kifimbo

Doping isn't mutually exclusive to Russia, in the United States there are various sponsors & coaches push their athletes into various types of doping. No question that Russia's state sponsored doping program is wrong and isn't fair to other clean athletes that are competing, but to a ban a 300 plus team is overkill. There is no need. The decision isn't based on rationality, it is based on geopolitics and is meant as a big fuck you to Russia. Which unfortunately is what the Olympics have kinda always been about.

State-wide doping is also "based on geopolitics".

oti

Banned
So now they have 12 days to greenlight EVERY RUSSIAN ATHLETE before the games start? Have fun, I guess.

What's up with everyone thinking this Olympics will be disease ridden?

Is it just americans who are obssessed with viruses?
I haven't seen anyone who actually gives a shit about Zika in europe(maybe the UK).
But fearmongering about viruses seems to be particularly present in american media.

doby

I hope president of the IOC gets booed to fuck at the opening ceremony. Watching the news channels on reaction to the decision highlights just how absurd the whole thing is.

Liamario

Banned
Corruption and cowardice, nothing more. Nobody realistically expects anything different and the world continues to pretend everything is ok and fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom