• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bother, his family and the entire workforce of the company he works for is going to be evacuated the next couple of days. They've had news of something happening next weekend and the company doesn't want to take any chances with its workforce.

TURKEY: Deputy PM says country to suspend European Convention on Human Rights for a while - @CNNTURK_ENG

Welp. Sounds like the next three months will be interesting...

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
My bother, his family and the entire workforce of the company he works for is going to be evacuated the next couple of days. They've had news of something happening next weekend and the company doesn't want to take any chances with its workforce.

Any source for this. My wife's friend and her family are going out there this Monday.

Metal B

Why do middle east countries tend to fall into the hands of dictators?
A lot of people hate each other their and some stupid european in the past, throw country lines without take the fact to account. So those countries only seen to work, if someone is stronger than the other and then suppresses the remaining groups. Of course, as soon as another group gets more powerful, it's payback time. It's a cycle of hate, wrong proud and poor people (which are always easy to manipulate) with nothing much to lose.

The middle east, like many other parts of the world, were as advance (and in some points even ground breaking) and had similar chances like the rest of the world. But we european fuck them up (I blame mainly the UK in the old days and Russia and the US in the last century).

In other words it is very complicated and most people don't even know, why they hate each other to begin with or the reasons are extremely trivial today.

Kabouter

The middle east, like many other parts of the world, were as advance (and in some points even ground breaking) and had similar chances like the rest of the world. But we european fuck them up (I blame mainly the UK in the old days and Russia and the US in the last century).

Europeans didn't fully dominate the region in post-Islamic conquest times until after WW1, and hadn't made significant strides that far before then, yet the Middle East wasn't exactly the most developed or the most stable part of the world by that point anyway.

Nere

A lot of people hate each other their and some stupid european in the past, throw country lines without take the fact to account. So those countries only seen to work, if someone is stronger than the other and then suppresses the remaining groups. Of course, as soon as another group gets more powerful, it's payback time. It's a cycle of hate, wrong proud and poor people (which are always easy to manipulate) with nothing much to lose.

In other words it is very complicated and most people don't even know, why they hate each other to begin with or the reasons are extremely trivial today.

Yeah it is the west's fault again, you really think the middle eastern countries have no responsibilities for their current state?

Snwaters

TURKEY: Deputy PM says country to suspend European Convention on Human Rights for a while - @CNNTURK_ENG

Not surprising:

Cn1jtlJWIAAhfhc.jpg

State of Emergency declaration was a big deal for a reason.

Shiggy

Dear Erdogan, do you mind taking the German Erdogoons and give us some of your political opponents? We can also do a two-for-one deal.

Metal B

Yeah it is the west's fault again, you really think the middle eastern countries have no responsibilities for their current state?
I didn't say, that the European are responsible for the hate. I said, the countries were created by them and those people at the time, didn't think things through. The middle east could have solved their problems them self, but a constantly circle of hate doesn't allow them.
Sadly no leader ever said "Maybe we should stop hating each other and say, that we all were asshols at one time. Let's move on."

spekkeh

Banned
Not surprising:

State of Emergency declaration was a big deal for a reason.

Actually the amendment below that specifically states that bodily integrity still holds.

Of course we know that doesn't mean shit with all the soldiers currently being tortured.

oti

Banned
Dear Erdogan, do you mind taking the German Erdogoons and give us some of your political opponents? We can also do a two-for-one deal.

Pro Asyl already expects a wave of Turkish refugees fleeing the country and coming to Germany. Them clashing with Erdogan supporters here could be quite dangerous. Although I don't know how far they would go.

I didn't say, that the European are responsible for the hate. I said, the countries were created by them and those people at the time, didn't think things through. The middle east could have solved their problems them self, but a constantly circle of hate doesn't allow them.
Sadly no leader ever said "Maybe we should stop hating each other and say, that we all were asshols at one time. Let's move on."

Europe started the idea of modern nation states but it has been adopted by the rest of the world.

It's each state's own responsibility to figure out a working government and system of check and balance. Look Iran didn't follow the western modern exactly and they figured out something working by themselves.

nynt9

Europeans didn't fully dominate the region in post-Islamic conquest times until after WW1, and hadn't made significant strides that far before then, yet the Middle East wasn't exactly the most developed or the most stable part of the world by that point anyway.

Like Kabouter said, the decline of the Middle East happened before the west became a part of the equation. The Ottoman Empire was large but not well run and it ran itself to the ground.

Out 1

To be fair, from 1517 to 1989 the Arab world (minus Oman) was defined entirely by decisions made in Constantinople, London, Paris, Washington and Moscow. this does not apply to Turkey, but is still worth mentioning.

nynt9

To be fair, from 1517 to 1989 the Arab world was defined entirely by decisions made in Constantinople, London, Paris, Washington and Moscow. this does not apply to Turkey, but is still worth mentioning.

"Constantinople" by that time was already called Istanbul (since 1453) and was the seat of the Ottoman Empire until WW1 and it was also where the caliphate and thus the head of the Muslim world was. It's not an outside source.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood

Why not quote the whole tweet? :/ İt says "like France" at the end. That said, why are countries who are in a state of emergency doing this?

Out 1

"Constantinople" by that time was already called Istanbul (since 1453) and was the seat of the Ottoman Empire until WW1 and it was also where the caliphate and thus the head of the Muslim world was. It's not an outside source.

I would write Istanbul, but outside of the empire the city was known as Constantinople up until 20th century. So it makes sense to use that name in this context

Despite being Sunni Muslim and adopting the title of Caliphs, the Ottomans were foreign invaders and nothing will change that.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Why not quote the whole tweet? :/ İt says "like France" at the end. That said, why are countries who are in a state of emergency doing this?
France suspended human right?

You might be mistaking it with SoE, which France have imposed but due to terrorism actions they can't seem to control, while this was over before it even began in Turkey and is not the same IMO.

The reasoning for the two are widely different.

CNN Türk ENGGeverifieerd account
‏@CNNTURK_ENG
#BREAKING Turkish Deputy PM says TR to suspend European Convention on Human Rights for a while like France did

The CNN Turk tweet. I don't remember reading about France suspending the ECHR though.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Idk but they are doing their own fair share of harassing citizens in the name of counter-terrorism.
If by harassing you mean breach of privacy then yeah.
But they are getting flak from everyone for imposing those rules and still not being able to stop them.

But I've yet to see France jail 1/3 of their juridical system and more.

While it was renamed in 1453, it was still called "Constantinople" by many Europeans until after the Turkish War of Independence as I see from western sources in my thesis on the Ottoman entry into WW1. German, British, and French foreign ministers continually called it Constantinople including the British and German Press. Most Turkish sources do always call it Istanbul like Ahmed Djemal's Memoirs.

So I guess it was based on perspective until Ataturk changed the language and capital.

Also I think the influence of the Great Powers played a large role on their actual dissolution, during which there were tons of reforms made to save the empire.

G.ZZZ

The middle east and the ottoman empire were mostly free of the west's influence until they lost the first world war and became subjugated by the allies. They were in extreme decadence way before that, and lots of countries like albania and bulgaria declared independence autonomosly from the ottoman empire with basically no repercussions.

There's a reason the ottoman empire was called the ill man of europe and the revolution of the young turks happened.

To call the zone advanced as the rest of the west is disingenous. A big part of the motivations of the young turks was to modernize the country and end its decadence. The country had 0 Km of rails when england had 6000 and austria 800. The inauguration of the Orient Express had to take a boat to actually end in Instanbul because there were no rail to connect the city to anywhere.

Tugatrix

So if Erdogan decides to promote death and concentration camps, he would legally have the right to do so, now that he suspended human rights.

This is nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom