• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reuters: BREAKING: Turkey will have a state of emergency for three months to tackle Gulen movement - President Erdogan

I can't wait to see all the democracy that will happen behind that smoke screen.

I mean how is this not seen as a coup in itself, it's just ridiculous at this point.

Pomerlaw

Turkey will soon announce an alliance with North Korea.

Come on Russia, we want to know what you think of all this. Are Erdogan and Putin back to being buddies?

It means Erdogan is reaffirming his massive hate-boner for Gulen and his movement; Erdogan will attempt to utterly stamp out Gulen's influence in the country over the next 3 months.

I don't understand, him and Gulen were good buddies until they fell out.... do you hate someone that much that this is the extent you go to?

Turkey will soon announce an alliance with North Korea.

Come on Russia, we want to know what you think of all this. Are Erdogan and Putin back to being buddies?
They never were. The enmity between Russia and Turkey is more than 200 years old (there is a reason why Turkey was willing to join the NATO in the 50s) and Erdogan is a huge thorn in the sides of Putin's sphere of influence in the Middle East (particularly Syria) and he is becoming a bigger threat by the minute. Shooting down that jet didn't help either.

Well, if he manages to purge the entirety of the political system, the education system, the military and the police, I don't see how anyone, even the people, could stop him. It's rather hard to get rid of a dictatorship that controls everything, particularly police and military. It's not like he had any issues with the police shooting protestors in the past, it won't get any better now. He knows the economy will suffer, that's why is doing a Hitler in 1933 right now.

That's still not the most stupid thing a dictator can do. IMO the most stupid thing Erdogan has done was pissed off Russia/US/Europe at the same time. Who is he going to borrow money from to prop up the economy? Certainly not China.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Was watching his speech to the nation live. As İ already stated, the dude is scared about an economic collapse. Half his speech was about that everything was going to be alright with the economy and that S&P are just trying to mess with Turkey. His call out sounded weaker then in the past. Heck he took the time to call out a credit rating agency at a speech about a failed coup attempt, that says enough. Let's see what Fitch and Moody's are going to do.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Russia in this is very interesting. Putin visited Greece just a few weeks ago. Both nations are Othodox. I saw some commentators saying Greece would be Putin's way back into Europe, but now with this whole Turkey situation who knows what will happen.

Serbia has always been there.

Shiggy

Was watching his speech to the nation live. As İ already stated, the dude is scared about an economic collapse. Half his speech was about that everything was going to be alright with the economy and that S&P are just trying to mess with Turkey. His callout sounded weaker then in the past. Let's see what Fitch and Moody's are going to do.

It's a well known fact that the rating agencies are controlled by Gulen (for Russian readers: they are controlled by George Soros).

That's still not the most stupid thing a dictator can do. IMO the most stupid thing Erdogan has done was pissed off Russia/US/Europe at the same time. Who is he going to borrow money from to prop up the economy? Certainly not China.
Nowhere, the coup and especially his reaction fucked the future of an entire economy in 5 days.

The state of emergency in the next three months wont bring any benefits either.

As I predicted, S&P and Moody's already lowered Turkeys ranking.

He tried to make peace with Israel and Russia just a few weeks ago in an uncharacteristic wider outreach considering how he pissed the later off.

e:

Russia has closer ties to Greece than it does with Turkey but Russia was using Turkey as a medium for their gas pipeline into Greece/the EU. The sanctions kinda hurt Greece in that respect, but with Turkey's EU ascension gone, that potentially makes Greece a more valuable ally than Turkey. Unless Turkey drops out of NATO in which case Russia is interested in their geostrategic position.
Russia already has a comparable geostrategic position
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-31632259

orochi91

So where are the receipts that any of this is actually necessary?
He's convinced that Gulen is behind everything.

Consequently, he's targeting Gulen's base of support, which is probably why he also went after judges and police officers, since AKP think that Gulen has influence over them.

Honestly, he's gonna look dumb as fuck if the USA rejects the evidence Turkey provided them, regarding Gulen's alleged involvement in the coup.

oti

Banned
Question for TurkeyGAF: I've seen claims of Gülen running a "parallel society" in Turkey. But what does that mean exactly and how is that possible?

More like going insane laughter than enjoying myself laughter.

It's like a bad dream. It never ends.

And the threats just keeps pouring out of him. I don't even know anymore.

Mans clinically insane.

He's a dick head for sure.

What are the chances we see another Egypt here?

He can't think by doing this he's not just creating more pissed off people

Tecnniqe

Banned
He's a dick head for sure.

What are the chances we see another Egypt here?

He can't think by doing this he's not just creating more pissed off people
Well his Erdodrones still march to their graves for the man and as long as he "strong arms" the west he's gonna be a hero.

No matter what the west do he wins.

NATO is also becoming a joke when it comes to turkey, as he is continually threatening other alliance members and ignoring everyone but himself. That's not how the alliance and any defensive alliance works.

Well his Erdodrones still march to their graves for the man and as long as he "strong arms" the west he's gonna be a hero.

No matter what the west do he wins.

NATO is also becoming a joke when it comes to turkey, as he is continually threatening other alliance members and ignoring everyone but himself. That's not how the alliance and any defensive alliance works.

Is it bad that I want the Turkish economy to go in the shitter?

Nothing gets people motivated for change when the dollars start drying up.....I mean, look at him cave to Putin

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Question for TurkeyGAF: I've seen claims of Gülen running a "parallel society" in Turkey. But what does that mean exactly and how is that possible?

İt means that Gülen infiltrated important positions like judges, prosecuters, police chiefs, generals, üniversity deens, politicians, bankers etc. With the purpose of carrying out Gulen 's policies and not the governments. Hence parallel... meaning a parallel powerstructure alongside the government.

How did this happen? Good question, they started in the 70's, so pretty slow i guess. lol

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
So where are the receipts that any of this is actually necessary?

You question the Sultan's words? I am sorry that is none of my business. It is after all a democracy, and you are free to express your opinions :)

*Calls 1-800-Rat-On-Your Neighbour Hotline*

"Hello, Sultan?! I found one of those Gulenists you've told us to keep a lookout for!"

sflufan

Banned

From wikipedia's article on the "parallel state":

Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has used the term "parallel state" (or "parallel structure") to describe followers of Fethullah Gülen who occupy senior bureaucratic and judicial positions, which have been accused of attempting to bring down Erdoğan's government. This is in contrast to the meaning of the term initially coined by Paxton, and instead resembles the term "state within a state." Gülen's Cemaat movement, which has a large presence within Turkey, has allegedly been involved in limiting the power of the Turkish Armed Forces through the Ergenekon trials and the Sledgehammer case while allied with Erdoğan. Following the 2013-14 protests against Erdoğan's government, the Cemaat Movement turned against Erdoğan, who thus labelled them as a "parallel state." Erdoğan has blamed Gülen's followers on orchestrating the 2013 government corruption scandal.

oti

Banned
İt means that Gülen infiltrated important positions like judges, prosecuters, police chiefs, generals, üniversity deens, politicians, bankers etc. With the purpose of carrying out Gulen 's policies and not the governments. Hence parallel... meaning a parallel powerstructure alongside the government.

How did this happen? Good question, they started in the 70's, so pretty slow i guess. lol

From wikipedia's article on the "parallel state":

Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has used the term "parallel state" (or "parallel structure") to describe followers of Fethullah Gülen who occupy senior bureaucratic and judicial positions, which have been accused of attempting to bring down Erdoğan's government. This is in contrast to the meaning of the term initially coined by Paxton, and instead resembles the term "state within a state." Gülen's Cemaat movement, which has a large presence within Turkey, has allegedly been involved in limiting the power of the Turkish Armed Forces through the Ergenekon trials and the Sledgehammer case while allied with Erdoğan. Following the 2013-14 protests against Erdoğan's government, the Cemaat Movement turned against Erdoğan, who thus labelled them as a "parallel state." Erdoğan has blamed Gülen's followers on orchestrating the 2013 government corruption scandal.

I see. That makes the purge make a lot of sense to his followers.

orochi91

Much of that "parallel society" stuff revolves around the perceived notion (by the AKP) that Gulen's followers have infiltrated high-level positions in the government/society and is attempting to dismantle Erdogan's regime.

Now, however, analysts believe Mr. Gulen’s sympathizers in the judiciary and police are behind a series of corruption investigations threatening to overwhelm Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Gulen's followers, who were often clean-shaven, Western-educated, and English-speaking, defied the stereotypes of Islamists in Turkey during the 1990s and early 2000s, which some analysts believe allowed them to enter the judiciary and police without attracting the attention of the secularist establishment.

Leaked video footage of one of Gulen’s sermons from 1999 laid out this strategy explicitly:

“You must move in the arteries of the system without anyone noticing your existence until you reach all the power centers,” he said. “You must wait until such time as you have gotten all the state power, until you have brought to your side all the power of the constitutional institutions in Turkey.”

Gulen's movement also ran the the country’s highest-selling newspaper, Zaman. Coupled with the support for the movement among some unversity campuses, AKP believe that Gulen's influence permeates a sizable portion of Turkish society, hence the parallel state/society fear-mongering.

Erdogan and Gulen worked together to topple the secular regimes, but since then they've turned on each other.

I didn't realize that this barbarian Erdogan had seized the last remaining churches in Diyarbakir back in Late March/Early April.

Disgusting. Everyone who supports this lunatic is a terrible person.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Could still happen...

Aren't there a lot of salty people the world who hate on Ataturk for eliminating the Caliphate? I remember as kid being told in a mosque gathering that Kamal had no legal authority to eliminate the position of Caliph. So I suppose Erdogan taking the mantle would be an Islamist wet dream.

I hope they have more and better plans

PMM8awI.jpg

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
I see. That makes the purge make a lot of sense to his followers.

Not only his followers. Everybody in Turkey knows about Gulen's presence in society. Only it's not exactly clear how big that presence exactly is. Nobody knows who is what, hence the big scope of the purge. Like they know a tumor is growing somewhere in the arm, but they don't know where. So they cut of the entire arm.

But the thing is, the primary reason Gulen was able to get hold on so many important positions was because the AKP needed them to battle the Kemalist army (see Sledgehammer/ Ergenekon case). So they turned a blind eye to Gülen for like 10 years and coorperated with them. Heck they even got ministers posts and the two "Gülen" judges of the supreme council who just got booted were also appointed by an AKP president (Abdullah Gül). So the AKP helped them in power. Before that governments always tried to battle that movement, the reason why Gülen had to flee to the US.

Lastly the generals who got jailed in 2012 because of Gülen/ AKP are now back in power. You can't make this shit up.

Conflict News said:
UPDATE: #Turkey's President Erdogan - "All of the viruses within the armed forces will be cleansed" - @BBCBreaking
Source
Erdogan's rhetoric is getting nicer by the minute.

You can find that part of the speech in this video. Lots of cancer mataphors being thrown around.

Also according to the BBC:
BBC World News said:
Recep Tayyip Erdogan said citizens should not have "the slightest concern with regards to democracy, rule of law, fundamental rights and freedoms".
Source
I find this as cynical as it gets.

Zips

Are the newly released generals the old secular ones? I have trouble imagining anyone being released after prison terms as having any great loyalty to Erdogan at least.

Would be hilarious in a way if the first thing they did upon being released were to plan and enact their own coup, recognizing the mess Erdogan has made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom