• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is how I feel about this.

I do think he needs to be stopped but once civilians are being killed the army has lost the high ground and it's just awful for everyone as it'll just give Erdogan an excuse to crack down on the "problem" elements.

Basically. The coup will lose even more support and a secular Turkey will be even further out of reach.

Because their leaders told the protestors to attack the military. :(

Which is really fucked up and I would be a little more sympathetic if the casualties were the result of self defense. But whats the justification of jets shooting civilians?

This is an unfortunately common dilemma now: support the military or support a democracy that has turned authoritarian?

Get FUCKED Erdogan. You did this, nobody but you are to blame for this shitfest.

wamberz1

Erdogan channeling darkseid right now
L5zJvPV8i4SAp72XZZoVs6bCzTSLynaAp1rHmw5anNvUVK5MYmTCL6LjeGSauq2Ek4mBm9TDO3BeCSYrzExh2TDviViGrcjf-g1tCMeTesI8XWxwCUVK309c40eAUs9DNw

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
This was done by a very small fraction of the Military. If it was done by the whole army you wouldnt be able to watch these livestreams right now.

So this "small" fraction of the army was allowed to fly jets all over the place, while the rest of the army just sat back and did nothing? You buy that? It seems like someone (Erdogan) is already happy that the Almighty has given him this gift of an uprising.

The coup should have happened years ago before the great Erdogan purge. This is too little, too late now that he appointed his cronies to be heads of the military.

Blablurn

The Int'l Spectator @intlspectator

BREAKING: Erdogan says traitors in military are taking orders from Pennsylvania, where opposition leader Gulen is based

DarkestHour

Banned
So this "small" fraction of the army was allowed to fly jets all over the place, while the rest of the army just sat back and did nothing? You buy that? It seems like someone (Erdogan) is already happy that the Almighty has given him this gift of an uprising.

I agree. It is very fishy. The whole thing.

espher

But whats the justification of jets shooting civilians?

I keep seeing this and I don't doubt it happened at this point (esp. as things went on) but I kind of wish there was more than reasoned speculation about this. Like, I'm surprised jets are apparently taking shots but there's been minimal fight from infantry on the ground?

Crazy theory: Erdogan calls up the 'coup' plotters and tells them 'thanks bros, you've given me the power to destroy the Republic, high five'. Seems to have wanted this from the start.

Everything about this Coup sounds strange,
If it was staged then Erdogan is about to do something that he couldn't without his own version of 9/11

Some stuff from Erdogan, per translator being shown on MSNBC

These people will punished in the harshest way.
Uprising is a gift from god to help us clean out the military of this gang.
Something about meetings concerning the army coming up, these people were afraid of what decisions would be made in those meetings.

Per the person translating, yes.

Wow this is suspicious as hell. Seems like he got exactly what he wanted.

Fuck.

Klyka

Banned
How are the coup soldiers using tanks and jets and helicopters without anything opposing them except civilians with flags and police officers with handcuffs?

How does that make sense?

The Int'l Spectator @intlspectator

BREAKING: Erdogan says traitors in military are taking orders from Pennsylvania, where opposition leader Gulen is based

Of course he is. He has to destroy any chance of Gulen disrupting his power.

I highly doubt a 75 year old man in fucking Pennsylvania managed to orchestrate a large scale military coup.

that you need to educate yourself on turkish elections before saying Erdogan was democratically elected

I think the people of Turkey right now are educating the world with millions in the ground fighting the coup unarmed. Just sit back, relax and enjoy their bravery.

Oriel

2016: Establishment of the Islamic Republic of Turkey, new Iran style Islamic Guards Corps on the way to replace the army.

If they aren't already EU officials in Brussels should be shredding all documents relating to Turkey's accession to the EU right about now.

kirblar

The Parliament rocket attack is the thing that really sticks out - it's such a blatantly dumb and self-destructive thing to do if you're actually trying to do a coup. :-/

How are the coup soldiers using tanks and jets and helicopters without anything opposing them except civilians with flags and police officers with handcuffs?

How does that make sense?

Conspiracy theories are starting to make more sense now. Erdogan sounds like he planned this from the start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom