• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fake GAF 2014: Welcome to the Sahara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuckie

Oh and a question for native speakers of English.

In Holland we don''t really have a term for 'suspension of disbelief'', however people who love movies often knows what it refers too. So with mates I do use it.

How do you say in English that you didn't like a movie because shit happened outside the borders of said suspension. Like for instance in Avengers 2, hawkeye beats the crap out of the Hulk.... and I have a hard time believing it.

'' Man, I hated Avengers two because....."

Thanks in advance hehe

In Holland we don''t really have a term for 'suspension of disbelief'', however people who love movies often knows what it refers too. So with mates I do use it.

How do you say in English that you didn't like a movie because shit happened outside the borders of said suspension. Like for instance in Avengers 2, hawkeye beats the crap out of the Hulk.... and I have a hard time believing it.

Thanks in advance hehe

"It was unrealistic" is the first thing that comes to mind

AcridMeat

Banned
"Hawkeye beating up the Hulk was far too heavy of a load on the suspension bridge of belief in my gray matter. So much so the cables gave way."

NinjaBoiX

Thanks in advance hehe
Jumped the shark?

Wazzy

Banned
I'm feeling jittery right now. I think it's the coffee. I've been drinking it so much lately ever since I went back to drinking it in the morning. I'm also at work. :(

AcridMeat

Banned
I don't think jumped the shark works in that context.

Wazzy go have a race with the desk chairs in the back aisles.

edit2 : nothing to see here I was right the first time mUAHAHAA

NinjaBoiX

I don't think jumped the shark works in that context.

Wazzy go have a race with the desk chairs in the back aisles.
Wow, I just read the wiki page. I always assumed it was a point where a TV show or movie broke the suspension of disbelief, but apparently it's when it reaches a creative nadir.

The more you know eh?

Edit:

Wikipedia said:
Jumping the shark is an idiom created by Jon Hein that was used to describe the moment in the evolution of a television show when it begins a decline in quality, which is usually a particular scene, episode, or aspect of a show in which the writers use some type of "gimmick" in an attempt to keep viewers' interest. Its name is taken from a scene from a fifth season episode of the sit-com Happy Days when the character Fonzie jumps over a shark while on water-skis.[1][2][3]

The usage of "jump the shark" has subsequently broadened beyond television, indicating the moment when a brand, design, or creative effort's evolution declines.

Chuckie

Chuckie

Wow, I just read the wiki page. I always assumed it was a point where a TV show or movie broke the suspension of disbelief, but apparently it's when it reaches a creative nadir.

The more you know eh?

Broke the suspension.....thats what I was looking for

AcridMeat

Banned
Olympic Hockey <3

Czechs and Sweden playing right now....Hertl would be playing if not for Dustin Brown :(
I'm amazed Jagr is still playing. I remember my best friend in elementary school, who was Czech, going nuts over him in elementary school.

Sweden has a pretty good team but Russia and Canada are so damn stacked.
Welp. Staying an extra 3 hours at work since no one showed for their shift. I hate getting off late. :(
Daaaamn that sucks. This was always my biggest fear when I would do radio shows. Since my shift was either 12-3:30 or 3:30-6, if someone didn't show up it means I would actually pass out on air.

Though this should definitely justify using a broom as an oar and rowing around in a desk chair to help customers the rest of the day.

Acid08

Banned
I'm amazed Jagr is still playing. I remember my best friend in elementary school, who was Czech, going nuts over him in elementary school.

Sweden has a pretty good team but Russia and Canada are so damn stacked.

Russia's D and goaltending are questionable. Canada's biggest weakness is goaltending. US doesn't have as much top end talent as Canada but they at least don't have KHL players. I think it comes down to Canada and US in the gold medal game again.

AcridMeat

Banned
I was saying they were stacked, but obviously still don't compare to a team led by PAVELSKI DA GAWD&#8482; and his sidekick Kessel.

Even if they do have to play the weeny Kesler.

Wazzy

Banned
Though this should definitely justify using a broom has an oar and rowing around in a desk chair to help customers the rest of the day.

Yeah it sucks. I'm supposed to hang with BB tonight(or at least I think I am) and now I have to move the hangout about 30 minutes-hour later.

Wazzy

Banned
Damn Dragonz, that Halcyon Wave remix has been my jam for the past couple days. It's sooooo good.

IHRIcOm.gif

NinjaBoiX

I'll add Twin Peaks to the list Robo, god knows when I'll get around to it though! I have so much to be getting on with movies/TV/game wise. I'm drowning in the stuff!

First world problems.

I'm playing Hitman Absolution at the minute, it's my first Hitman game and I'm having a blast! It's so much fun formulating a plan and then executing it like a ninja. ;)

I have the HD Trilogy to play too, but I hear Blood Money is the only one worth my time. We'll see.

Just bought Hotline Miami too (£2.40!), I'll probably be done with my backlog just in time for the PS5. :/

I'll add Twin Peaks to the list Robo, god knows when I'll get around to it though! I have so much to be getting on with movies/TV/game wise. I'm drowning in the stuff!

First world problems.

I'm playing Hitman Absolution at the minute, it's my first Hitman game and I'm having a blast! It's so much fun formulating a plan and then executing it like a ninja. ;)

I have the HD Trilogy to play too, but I hear Blood Money is the only one worth my time. We'll see.

Just bought Hotline Miami too (£2.40!), I'll probably be done with my backlog just in time for the PS5. :/

hotline miami is the bee's knees! great soundtrack too. can't wait for the sequel *O*
plus you're so going to fall in love with audrey once you watch twin peaks. I guarantee it

NinjaBoiX

NinjaBoi you better have watched Twin Peaks by the time you've made it to the states or that's all your vacation here will be.
I think I can squeeze it in before next year fella! I'll prioritise it as I respect you guys opinions. My mate John has been on at me for years to see it!

I'll start it ASAP you guys, that's a promise innit.

NinjaBoiX

Delicious post all around ninja, here's a song by The Mighty Bop.
Cooler than a polar bear's toenails mate, one of the better covers of that tune that I've heard.
goddess *-*
Indeed.

Sexy lady + geeky specs + bed sheet = Ninj twinge

More tunage:

Kojak - Art To Breathe (DJ Vas mix)

"If you talk to the average teenager of today and ask them what it is about music that they like, the first thing they'll say is, 'the beat'."

DrM

Redmond's Baby
damn, my eyes are so sore after work in the office (till 5th of April) that I cannot even watch TV :|

NinjaBoiX

Ninja's going to America?

Can I come?
tumblr_lntc6tzjyl1qbgfne.gif

;P

Yeah man, I'm going to hang out and have a boogie with ma boi Acrid at some point next year. I want to see San Fran and the states in general, I've never been.

It's early days yet, just a plan at the minute. But if you genuinely want to go, I don't see why not!

tumblr_lntc6tzjyl1qbgfne.gif

;P

Yeah man, I'm going to hang out and have a boogie with ma boi Acrid at some point next year. I want to see San Fran and the states in general, I've never been.

It's early days yet, just a plan at the minute. But if you genuinely want to go, I don't see why not!

Haha, was only joking. Plus I'm gonna have forgotten by tomorrow anyway >_>

Sounds awesome though.

Also I need more confidence in my songwriting ability. I watch videos of people playing in bands and every now and then I get stressed out being like "Welp, never going to be able to write as many songs anywhere near the awesomeness of those, might as well not bother". But I really want a band :C

NinjaBoiX

Hotline Miami is batshit crazy! Really hard too but super satisfying. The OST is indeed bonza trab, harsh electro FTW.

I do have a minor headache though, probably a bad choice of game to ease my suffering!
Two moon junction yo!
What, is this a movie I should watch?
Haha, was only joking. Plus I'm gonna have forgotten by tomorrow anyway >_>

Sounds awesome though.
Haha, I figured as much! I was like, "but we IRL bro's and stuff, you're just an internet bro at the minute." I didn't really know what to say as it would be as much Acrid's decision as mine, but I hate ignoring posts addressed directly to me. It's rude. :/ You cheeky monkey you!

Anyway, what instrument do you play? Are you any good? I used to play piano as a kid, I can't really play anymore though. I've messed about with Reason in the past but that shit is complex!

Also, howling winds and torrential rain up here, I love going to sleep with all that going on outside. I find it soothing.

Windam

Scaley member
The lab finished 46 minutes early. :'D

Also, do you get someone who's just a friend a gift for Valentine's Day? I'm gonna take her to see Frozen and then dinner, so is a gift even needed? Halp me FakeGAF, you hopeless romantics!

damn, my eyes are so sore after work in the office (till 5th of April) that I cannot even watch TV :|
get glasses!
Hotline Miami is batshit crazy! Really hard too but super satisfying. The OST is indeed bonza trab, harsh electro FTW.

I do have a minor headache though, probably a bad choice of game to ease my suffering!

haha I can imagine. dat whole crazy eighties vibe though <3 pure bliss. you should watch drive to really get in the mood. works sooo well together :3

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
The lab finished 46 minutes early. :'D

Also, do you get someone who's just a friend a gift for Valentine's Day? I'm gonna take her to see Frozen and then dinner, so is a gift even needed? Halp me FakeGAF, you hopeless romantics!

If it's not a Valentine's date, then you don't get her a gift...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom