• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

There are lots of practical and stylistic reasons for it. Making a film in CG means you have a full 3D camera to play with, along with actual full 3D environments. This makes a huge difference in what you can actually achieve in turns of direction. There's nothing wrong with wanting to have those tools to make a film with, and also wanting it to have a hand-drawn look. The tools are function, the visual look is artistic. It's not either or.

I'll concede that there are certain types of scenes that might require 3D models, but I see nothing in the vast majority of the shots in that trailer that requires the use of 3D models, so they might as well use traditional animation for the vast majority of scenes, because it would actually look good.

duckroll

I'll concede that there are certain types of scenes that might require 3D models, but I see nothing in the vast majority of the shots in that trailer that requires the use of 3D models, so they might as well use traditional animation for the vast majority of scenes, because it would actually look good.

The animation is not produced in 2D though, so the point is void. It is produced by Sanzigen, which is a CG animation studio. The intent is to make a CG film in 2D style. The fact that some of it doesn't look great is a failing on execution, but the intent is not flawed. This is not a hybrid film where they are choosing what to scenes to use CG for and what scenes to use 2D for.

There are lots of practical and stylistic reasons for it. Making a film in CG means you have a full 3D camera to play with, along with actual full 3D environments. This makes a huge difference in what you can actually achieve in turns of direction. There's nothing wrong with wanting to have those tools to make a film with, and also wanting it to have a hand-drawn look. The tools are function, the visual look is artistic. It's not either or.

Yeah, I would say a couple scenes in the 009 Re:Cyborg trailer actually do make good use of a 3D camera and environments - flying through the street at 00:56 or the pan at 1:14, for instance. If it had better 3D animators, it would probably have worked out.

Branduil

The animation is not produced in 2D though, so the point is void. It is produced by Sanzigen, which is a CG animation studio. The intent is to make a CG film in 2D style. The fact that some of it doesn't look great is a failing on execution, but the intent is not flawed. This is not a hybrid film where they are choosing what to scenes to use CG for and what scenes to use 2D for.

I disagree. Intentions can be flawed by not taking into account reality, in this case the reality that their CGI cel-shaded characters are going to look bad and nowhere near the level of decent traditional animation in a majority of scenes.

I have no idea what these are. Is this some kind of bad TV shows?
Honey Boo Boo is the story of the Human Thumb, her daughter and their incredible daily lives!
tumblr_mapc9qV5Fp1rumk5wo2_500.gif

4a1.gif

duckroll

Yeah, I would say a couple scenes in the 009 Re:Cyborg trailer actually do make good use of a 3D camera and environments - flying through the street at 00:56 or the pan at 1:14, for instance. If it had better 3D animators, it would probably have worked out.

The more projects studios like Sanzigen work on of this nature, the more they will improve. Revenue and fame generated from having more prolific work will also attract better talent to such studios. This is one reason why I feel very strongly that while we should not give a free pass to bad 3D animation, it should be fair to support the spirit of the work, and give praise when it is earned.

3D animation is not some gimmick offspring industry which is going to break down and go away just because some people don't like it. It's here to stay, and it would better for everyone to be supportive of the growth and optimistic about raising standards with time, rather than be immature and silly about it.

duckroll

I disagree. Intentions can be flawed by not taking into account reality, in this case the reality that their CGI cel-shaded characters are going to look bad and nowhere near the level of decent traditional animation in a majority of scenes.

When you say majority of scenes, does this suggest that you have already seen the movie, and are objectively stating it as such? Is that the reality?

Branduil

When you say majority of scenes, does this suggest that you have already seen the movie, and are objectively stating it as such? Is that the reality?

I'm suggesting that their trailer editors are probably not incompetent and did not deliberately choose the worst scenes to showcase. I think it's fair to judge their work by what they've chosen to show us. It's possible I'm wrong, just not very likely.

The more projects studios like Sanzigen work on of this nature, the more they will improve. Revenue and fame generated from having more prolific work will also attract better talent to such studios. This is one reason why I feel very strongly that while we should not give a free pass to bad 3D animation, it should be fair to support the spirit of the work, and give praise when it is earned.

3D animation is not some gimmick offspring industry which is going to break down and go away just because some people don't like it. It's here to stay, and it would better for everyone to be supportive of the growth and optimistic about raising standards with time, rather than be immature and silly about it.

I'm not complaining about 3D animation in this case. I'm complaining that they're attempting to ape a different medium which 3D isn't terribly well-suited to ape.

Also, I'm fairly sure our message board posts aren't going to affect to their success in any measurable way.

I love traditional 2D animation and hope it never dies, but I certainly am not antagonistic towards 3D. I will give credit to 009 Re:Cyborg for looking better than CG anime has looked in the past, and I certainly hope Sanzigen will continue to improve with experience.

I do think that disappointment in this particular case is very understandable, however, as looking at the trailer you can't help but think how much better much of it would look if it were 2D.

duckroll

I'm suggesting that their trailer editors are probably not incompetent and did not deliberately choose the worst scenes to showcase. I think it's fair to judge their work by what they've chosen to show us. It's possible I'm wrong, just not very likely.

I don't think it is unreasonable to consider that a good portion of the movie will be action set pieces, and not people standing around posing or talking, but giving away all the action pieces in the trailer would be a pretty dumb thing to do.

Another thing to consider: this is a 3D film, as in stereoscopic. I think that was a pretty major practical reason for Kamiyama wanting to do this film in full CG, especially after his post-conversion experience with Solid State Society, which was mostly hand-drawn.

I do think that disappointment in this particular case is very understandable, however, as looking at the trailer you can't help but think how much better it would look if it were 2D.

I dunno about that honestly. After all the recent shit Oshii and Kamiyama put out in "2D" under the Production IG label, I wonder if it would make much difference at all. :p

duckroll

What "recent shit" are you referring to?

Solid State Society, Eden of the East, Sky Crawlers, Musashi. They all have super annoying pale-zombie-looking character designs, I really can't stand looking at them much, and all the major action is heavily augmented with CG anyway. In fact, the blend just makes stuff stand out more sometimes.

Jex

You mean like the possibilities of another Eden of the East movie? Lol.

Lord no, those were clearly TV episodes copied and pasted into a movie, I'm talking about, well, any other series he's done for Production IG. Moribito and Stand Alone Complex, which are mere TV shows, look better than this.

Instro

Binbougami END

Crazy, a real deal 2D car chase scene! And then a fight scene on top of moving 2D cars, even crazier!

Narag

Where's the Urda guy to save Japan's CG moviemaking?? I know his stuff doesn't look the best but body language and character movement felt right.

duckroll

Lord no, those were clearly TV episodes copied and pasted into a movie, I'm talking about, well, any other series he's done for Production IG. Moribito and Stand Alone Complex, which are mere TV shows, look better than this.

Solid State Society actually looked worse than the TV show. Maybe he just isn't cut out for directing movies. :p

Jex

Solid State Society, Eden of the East, Sky Crawlers, Musashi. They all have super annoying pale-zombie-looking character designs, I really can't stand looking at them much, and all the major action is heavily augmented with CG anyway. In fact, the blend just makes stuff stand out more sometimes.

At the very least Sky Crawlers side-steps this problem by drawing a hard line between CG scenes and 'traditional' scenes.

I see. I haven't seen any of those except Solid State Society, which was so long ago that I can't really remember what it looks like.

duckroll

I see. I haven't seen any of those except Solid State Society, which was so long ago that I can't really remember what it looks like.

I'm not saying they look BAD mind you, just that I feel the traditional "big guns" at IG tend to favor this art style on their characters which kinda lends well to CG designs anyway, while not being all that appealing in 2D to begin with. Plus, Kamiyama's movies have all kinda sucked, so this isn't some new low for him, in fact, if it focuses on more action and Sanzigen does a good job, it might even be a more enjoyable movie than his last batch.

Jex

It only really takes 1 or 2 great shows to make a good season, so this season has promise but tbh I'm not that optimistic. Chuunibyou seems like it's gonna be really really marmite, and when that goes sour the rest of the season will have to do a lot to bring up the average impression as a whole.

I don't know about that, even the worst seasons in living memory manage to get scrape through with one good show, so understand that definition every season would be good. Now, five or more good shows? Now we're on to something!

Jarmel

Banned
I'm not saying they look BAD mind you, just that I feel the traditional "big guns" at IG tend to favor this art style on their characters which kinda lends well to CG designs anyway, while not being all that appealing in 2D to begin with. Plus, Kamiyama's movies have all kinda sucked, so this isn't some new low for him, in fact, if it focuses on more action and Sanzigen does a good job, it might even be a more enjoyable movie than his last batch.

I've actually just finished watching it as the final bit to my GITS week(I burned my entire week watching everything). The CG is a problem throughout the franchise except the first movie. In fact it's a problem with IG as a whole in that they don't use CG properly.

Branduil

I don't think it is unreasonable to consider that a good portion of the movie will be action set pieces, and not people standing around posing or talking, but giving away all the action pieces in the trailer would be a pretty dumb thing to do.

Another thing to consider: this is a 3D film, as in stereoscopic. I think that was a pretty major practical reason for Kamiyama wanting to do this film in full CG, especially after his post-conversion experience with Solid State Society, which was mostly hand-drawn.

Well, it wouldn't necessarily be impossible to do a stereoscopic film with traditional animation, just look at the Studio 4C and SHAFT Kid Icarus shorts. But really, if he wanted to do 3D that badly, I think he should have chosen an aesthetic more fitting for the medium.

I mean, for a recent example, just look at the .hack//The Movie trailer. The designs have a clear anime feel, but it's shaded and animated in a way that takes advantage of computer-generated animation's strengths. I don't think it's the best-looking thing ever but it sure looks a whole lot better than that 009 Re:Cyborg movie.

Jarmel

Banned
*Sigh* I wasn't really going to do my GITS writeup but since we're talking about the show anyway...

I really am lazy.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I've actually just finished watching it as the final bit to my GITS week(I burned my entire week watching everything). The CG is a problem throughout the franchise except the first movie. In fact it's a problem with IG as a whole in that they don't use CG properly.
Innocence does have some rough looking CG in places but I wouldn't say it's a problem because it's one of those rare anime things where CG is necessary due to the amount of three dimensional movement and camerawork.

Jex

So I guess it's about time.

From top to bottom:

From the New World
Gintama
Magi
Pyscho Pass
Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!
Zetsuen no Tempest
Jo Jo's

Status
Not open for further replies.