• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Shounen Jump adaptations are almost by definition kids' shows. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy it if you're outside that demographic, but that's generally the target audience.

yami4ct

Honestly, I don't really need the blood in a shonen action show like One Piece to get enjoyment from the battles. Honesty, I extra don't need it in One Piece because of how light hearted it is.

If I still watched Bleach, I may have been bothered. It's darker tone fits blood more. Still, I'd have way bigger problems with that show than blood vs no blood.

Shounen Jump adaptations are almost by definition kids' shows. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy it if you're outside that demographic, but that's generally the target audience.

Here we have to distinguish between Jump adaptations that air during the day and those that air during the night. When you're airing at 1 in the morning like Kuroko's Basketball, you're not really targeting little boys anymore.

Maedhros

I've noticed it a little. Scenes where you would use to see a full cut on someone's arm, for example, sometimes now just have a red scuff. There's still blood in some of the more impactful scenes, like when someone gets shot. Overall, less blood doesn't really bother me much.

Man, someone gets impaled by a trident on the most recent arc and just two or three drops of blood show on the scene. It's so ridiculous that I can only laugh.

That reminds me that I still have to watch the most recent episode.

Branduil

Here we have to distinguish between Jump adaptations that air during the day and those that air during the night. When you're airing at 1 in the morning like Kuroko's Basketball, you're not really targeting little boys anymore.

I suppose not. How many Shounen Jump adaptations air at night?

Technically, all shounen adaptations are kid shows. That includes Death Note, Deadman Wonderland, Apocalypse Zero, Hunter x Hunter, etc.

yami4ct

Man, someone gets impaled by a trident on the most recent arc and just two or three drops of blood show on the scene. It's so ridiculous that I can only laugh.

That reminds me that I still have to watch the most recent episode.

Honestly, I can see why it would bother you, but it just doesn't matter for me. Blood in the grand scheme of things is such a minor part of interesting action that I didn't even notice when it started disappearing. It took someone pointing it out for me to see the difference.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I'm not. Watching kids shows is perfectly fine and I've watched a few myself, I'm just saying... it was always a kids show.

Oh, well if you're just going by the strict definition of "shounen", that's fine.

I think that my definition of "kids' anime" is horribly warped due to watching so many shows for actual small children.

Nafe

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun or My Little Monster: Episode 1

UYjSR.jpg

I thought the first episode was okay but wasn't wowed to the degree of most of AnimeGaf

For the first episode of this show, I quite liked the look and design of the backgrounds presented. The use of the bright colours was quite eye pleasing and I liked how some of the shots had lines running through the frame to give it that sort of brush stroke type look. It reminded me somewhat of another Brains Base show, Sengoku Collection(some of the screencaps I saw anyway), in that respect and the colours reminded me somewhat of the show Tsuritama. I also quite liked the shows opening with it's combination of visuals, colours and song.

I like the character designs(which I think is the first time Tomohiro Kishi has been character designer for a show?) and how expressive the characters were and all the facial reactions that were on display. While the animation wasn't maybe of sakuga type quality, I did like that the characters were quite vibrant and active in their motions. I think the seiyuu really do a great job getting into the shoes of their characters and making their thoughts and emotions really come across pretty well. I'm wondering if this is somewhat what Haruka Tomatsu will sound like as Mor in Magi?

I'm not really familiar with many of the shoujo shows people here in the anime thread have mentioned and many people have expressed they felt the pacing was nice but usually in comparison to those shows which they felt were too slow. Maybe it's because I can't use those shows as a reference but for me the pacing in this first episode felt way too fast. In terms of a general flow of scenes so as to keep the audiences attention and not have things get boring, I thought the job there was handled well but in terms of the characters relationship, that is what I felt was too fast. It honestly makes me wonder how the pacing will be held in future episodes.

Haru and Shizuku's relationship didn't feel believable or realistic to me. It just felt so fake and many of the more emotional scenes didn't carry and weight to them and just fell flat for me. The scene of Haru's
confession for example. The way it came across where, the characters had just met and someone was nice to him and now all of a sudden he loves her. She even points this out to him but he says he loves her anyway and will just humour her and make some more friends to convince her
. It just comes across like such an artificially contrived relationship, he likes her just "because". In that scene I really just saw Haru as an actor and heard him say
"I love you because that's what it says here in the script"

In terms of the comedy I suppose Shizuku is supposed to be the straight man where Haru is supposed to be the funny man but honestly I felt Haru was often more annoying than funny. It has already been pointed out by Dresden but I too came to a similar conclusion of comparing this show to Tsuritama not only for the visual display but the fact of that there exists another character named Haru who, at least by initial impressions anyway, is coming across as pretty annoying. I was a bit abrasive in the beginning towards Haru in Tsuritama because his queries could come across as pretty blunt and tactless but the Haru in this show will often beat up or threaten characters with little provocation. Just with Shizuki alone he
blindside tackles her and questions her in a threatening manner while squeezing her arms as a first meeting, blindside grabs her and threatens her(that rape joke was really unnecessary and kind of soured the random cardboard box joke just after a bit for me), when she simply tells him to calm down and leave the teacher alone, he grabs her by the collar and threatens to punch her.
He actually wonders why he doesn't have any friends?

He's so random too that it kind of really ticked me off honestly. Something like the scene at the fast food place where Shizuku mentioned that the guys he thought were his friends were just using him and she'd rather be alone that be with the kind of people like that. He then
spills his drink on her and calls her a bad person!
My reaction was the same as her's. Apparently he wants to live in his own little bubble of ignorance where people use him as their tool and puppet while calling them his friend and anyone who makes him aware of this reality is a jerk! I was glad she did what she did as a reaction.

The next day then you see
he stopped giving the guy some money as if realizing Shizuku was right and even helping her just afterwards out of a fight
He does this a couple more times with things such as her views on wanting to study, it just came across as kind of annoying where he would get all mad at her and then the next day accept it as if it was no big deal. It might have been the result of the pacing but it just kind of rubbed me the wrong way honestly.

Overall I like all the visual designs and voice work but the characters relationship doesn't really work for me and Haru just came across as kind of an annoying jerk in this first episode but maybe my views will change as the show continues as I came to like the Haru in Tsuritama.

While it may be watched and enjoyed by people of all ages, its primary target audience is children, as is the case for all Sunday morning cartoons.

I think he's trying to make a distinction like this. Let's compare it to the ESRB. Daytime Jump adaptations could be something like the E rating, while kid shows would be something like EC. Late night shounen could be E10-T.

Maedhros

Honestly, I can see why it would bother you, but it just doesn't matter for me. Blood in the grand scheme of things is such a minor part of interesting action that I didn't even notice when it started disappearing. It took someone pointing it out for me to see the difference.

It detracts from the enjoyment. Also, like I've said, that's not the only problem I have with the recent episodes... most of them are so dragged... they could animate everything into 5 minutes but they overstretch the episode a lot.

yami4ct

Technically, all shounen adaptations are kid shows. That includes Death Note, Deadman Wonderland, Apocalypse Zero, Hunter x Hunter, etc.

Hahahahahahaha. That show. Man, how is that even shonen? I hate to be the guy constantly hating things, but that show was just not good. Only reason I watched it was because it was right before Casshern Sins on Toonami.

Hunter x Hunter is an interesting thing to talk about as well. It skirts the line in a really strange way. The story and characters all seem tailor made for kids, yet at times it get's way darker than most shows on the air. Like the
Phantom Troupe raid on the auction

Kagami

Regarding KGNE , I did end up buying the series during my Keyshit collecting days.
Its typically melodramatic but I didnt think it was boring.
I think it's watchable as a stand-alone thing, but I felt like it didn't add any experience that wasn't better experienced in the game (and with prettier artwork).
The big thing was, in the game, the protagonist's motivations are clear because you're constantly exposed to his internal monologues and navel-gazing...... Why am I feeling deja vu?

too much of the story is told through internal monologues and naval gazing, it's not something that would translate to an anime.

Oh...

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Better no blood than terrible blood. I'll never forget the several years of black blood I had to endure in Bleach. They should have just started having everyone end their sentences with "de geso" and be done with the farce.

Hahahahahahaha. That show. Man, how is that even shonen? I hate to be the guy constantly hating things, but that show was just not good. Only reason I watched it was it was right before Casshern Sins on Toonami.

Hunter x Hunter is an interesting thing to talk about as well. It skirts the line in a really strange way. The story and characters all seem tailor made for kids, yet at times it get's way darker than most shows on the air. Like the Phantom Troupe raid on the auction

It's a term that ultimately means nothing, at least to the west. Every single shounen manga has at least a few series that would easily fall under a significantly higher rating in the US. Then there's stuff like Champion Red and Shounen Champion, which have series that are essentially guro.

yami4ct

Better no blood than terrible blood. I'll never forget the several years of black blood I had to endure in Bleach. They should have just started having everyone end their sentences with "de geso" and be done with the farce.

You had to endure Bleach. You deserve a medal for that . I'm still reading the manga at this point. Really don't know why. I'm too far in to quit now.

I'm also started and am still reading Deadman Wonderland. I don't even know why. The anime left me hanging and I always feel the desperate need to finish what I start. I really should stop that.

Articalys

I think Medaka Box may be the only late night WSJ show. There's other night ones like Gintama, but that's in prime time I think.
If you want to get technical, the upcoming JoJo's Bizarre Adventure anime is WSJ material airing at night, but then again the parts being adapted are stuff that was serialized in the late 1980's.

I suppose not. How many Shounen Jump adaptations air at night?

I'm not sure of the exact number, but some have. Medaka Box is one. Death Note aired at night, though since it aired on NTV it was aimed at a more mainstream audience than most late night shows. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure will be another - the series has moved into Ultra Jump now, but the parts the anime will be adapting ran in WSJ.

survivor

Banned
Moyashimon Returns 9

Awesome episode.
Drunk Haruka
made an appearance even though it wasn't that long. I wonder if that thing is a recurring gag in the manga right now. Regarding the events of the episode
Haruka really didn't seem her usual self and got rather embarassed very fast. No more whipping :(
As for Marie, I still don't understand why
she doesn't want to take over the business. She said she wants to explore the world but that just seems bullshit to me. I guess she doesn't want to embarrass her dad? I don't know, I just couldn't really relate to her problem that much.

If you want to get technical, the upcoming JoJo's Bizarre Adventure anime is WSJ material airing at night, but then again the parts being adapted are stuff that was serialized in the late 1980's.

I'm not sure of the exact number, but some have. Medaka Box is one. Death Note aired at night, though since it aired on NTV it was aimed at a more mainstream audience than most late night shows. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure will be another - the series has moved into Ultra Jump now, but the parts the anime will be adapting ran in WSJ.

I don't want to count Jojo in this since it was serialized during a very different, more lenient time. Since becoming seinen, it hasn't really gotten anymore questionable in content. The anime will most likely be taking that into account and be aimed at adults/fans that grew up with the series.

Maedhros

I'm more sensitive to these things, probably. It just bothers me a lot, specially when early episodes didn't have these problems at all.

It started to really bother me on Marineford arc.
When Whitebead was supposed to have half of his face burned. Even the holes on his chest were poorly... made the whole arc totally underwhelming, specially when it's really good on manga form.

Oh well, at least I still can re-watch Ennies Lobby. If it wasn't the VA's I would drop the anime without any regrets.

Haru and Shizuku's relationship didn't feel believable or realistic to me. It just felt so fake and many of the more emotional scenes didn't carry and weight to them and just fell flat for me. The scene of Haru's
confession for example. The way it came across where, the characters had just met and someone was nice to him and now all of a sudden he loves her. She even points this out to him but he says he loves her anyway and will just humour her and make some more friends to convince her
. It just comes across like such an artificially contrived relationship, he likes her just "because". In that scene I really just saw Haru as an actor and heard him say
"I love you because that's what it says here in the script"

I think your reaction to Haru is understandable, and I'm honestly surprised more people haven't felt that way. I don't personally find him annoying, but when I read the manga I could definitely see aspects of his behavior that people could take offense to.

I don't think the series means to endorse everything he does - he's supposed to be a clueless, raging beast that Shizuku has to tame. Hence the image of her having him on a chain that's in the OP and the manga volume covers. He has serious problems with social interaction and Shizuku is the one who teaches him how to behave. By doing so, Shizuku is brought out of the shell that she's erected for herself, and they are both able to start making friends. I think that's the author's intent, at least.

As far as your specific point here, (vague spoilers for succeeding manga chapters I suppose),
as will soon become apparent, Haru's "I 'love' you" statement was said rather thoughtlessly and frivolously, and he didn't actually think through what his statement meant and how it would be interpreted. As a side note, I think this is contains an unfortunate truth about relationships - as males, we're prone to say and do things which females take much more seriously than we do, which leads to all kinds of destructive misunderstandings. In Haru's case hasn't gone to school at all, has little to no social experience, most people avoid him - so when Shizuku actually pays attention to him, he's overwhelmed and overreacts in an extreme manner, taking cliches he's picked up from romance literature and acting them out on her. So if his statement sounds fake, it's because it kind of is - he doesn't really 'love' her in the way she thinks.

If it's any comfort, Haru does tone down as the manga progresses.

Uchip

Banned
It's a term that ultimately means nothing, at least to the west. Every single shounen manga has at least a few series that would easily fall under a significantly higher rating in the US. Then there's stuff like Champion Red and Shounen Champion, which have series that are essentially guro.

Hunter x Hunter feels closer to the adventure genre not unlike Fullmetal Alchemist
the fights are short and sweet, its moody, and a lot of the time its not even about fighting

yami4ct

One Piece 399
I usually wouldn't talk about another episode so quickly, but I really want to speak to how awesome the additions of Kid and Law are. Oda has finally injected the series with something it desperately needed since day 1, a real, threatening group of rivals. Sure, we're told Shanks, Whitebeard, Blackbeard, etc. are all trying to become Pirate King as well, but all of them have either felt like villains or just forces of nature. Here, we're given two people on about Luffy's level, who aren't set up as immediately hostile. I'm sure it will be ages before anything with these guys comes to fruition, given One Piece's slow macro story telling, but just having them there is great.

Hunter x Hunter feels closer to the adventure genre not unlike Fullmetal Alchemist
the fights are short and sweet, its moody, and a lot of the time its not even about fighting

I would call it a semi-standard battle shounen. There's definitely prominent fighting and arcs that are straight up fighting, but there's also arcs that do their best to go against and even deconstruct the formula like the Chimera Ant arc.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Joshikousei - 12 [END]

Not bad, not bad at all.

The characters were likeable and each had their own shtick that was addressed on a normal basis. The most prevalent being Ayano's lovey dovey moments with her boyfriend, that would end violently by Yuno, Eriko, and Akari's ever growing jealousy and envy. It's a joke in itself that Ayano is treated poorly as she basically traded places with their friend Kyoko; who was also a victim of their jealously whenever boys were involved until she eventually
dumped hers in either the 4th or 5th episode (the same time where Ayano just got hers).

While on the topic of humor, some if it could be pretty raunchy at times. An example of this was when
Yuno was showing Eriko how to pee into a sample cup during their physical, only to hear Eriko yell in frustration that her cup was overflowing. Another time was when Eriko was insinuating that a stray hair on a pair of safety scissors was Yuno's pubic hair
. But it was those kind of moments that made it so fun to watch. It's rare to see girl humor of this kind, and it's something I'd certainly be up to watching more of if only to balance out the male humor present in the majority of shows.

Sayaka and Nao provided the yuri. They didn't appear as often as I had hoped, but when they did show up they certainly delivered.

It's a fun, silly show. I'd recommend it to anyone willing to go the distance for that extra yuri, or is interested in seeing some dirty girl humor that most guys probably haven't considered before.

One Piece 399
I usually wouldn't talk about another episode so quickly, but I really want to speak to how awesome the additions of Kid and Law are. Oda has finally injected the series with something it desperately needed since day 1, a real, threatening group of rivals. Sure, we're told Shanks, Whitebeard, Blackbeard, etc. are all trying to become Pirate King as well, but all of them have either felt like villains or just forces of nature. Here, we're given two people on about Luffy's level, who aren't set up as immediately hostile. I'm sure it will be ages before anything with these guys comes to fruition, given One Piece's slow macro story telling, but just having them there is great.

Fun fact: the Supernovas were made up on the spot when an editor told Oda the Sabaody arc felt too boring/plain.

yami4ct

Fun fact: the Supernovas were made up on the spot when an editor told Oda the Sabaody arc felt too boring/plain.

Than Oda has the best editor ever. Also, man does Oda have a great imagination to create these guys on the spot. The Supernovas are what this series has needed for quite some time.

survivor

Banned

Sabaody arc without the supernova? Thank god Oda had a good editor at the time. I just couldn't imagine how terrible the arc would have been without the
supernova showing their awesome powers and Kizaru coming in to own them.
By far one of the best moments in the entire series.

Than Oda has the best editor ever. Also, man does Oda have a great imagination to create these guys on the spot. The Supernovas are what this series has needed for quite some time.

Apparently he drew the names up, incorporated them into the story, and knew exactly how they would fit into the bigger picture in future developments, all within 3 hours. The dude is ridiculously talented.

cajunator

Banned
I cannot quote on gaf mobile very efficiently so Ill just say to Nafe that what Hosanna said is what I also think about Haru.
Hes supposed to be extremely superficial and blurt out whatever he feels like.
He's socially ignorant of what a relationship even means so if he says he loves her, it is probably the only word he is familiar with to describe how he feels.
He is way too primitive to actually feel that way and mean it at this point.
So really, its not a rushed relationship, there is NO relationship yet.

Stoof

Too bad these extra scenes weren't that good anyway. Also, no blood makes it look like a kids show. Why did Toei banned blood on their anime anyway?

One Piece wasn't so bad until Saobondy... it was actually quite good. Even my brother, who's not to keen on anime but really likes One Piece noticed the drop in quality.

When did they remove blood? I just looked up some Marineford clips and there was still blood.

EDIT: Nevermind, I guess you meant reduced, which I can see that.

From the New World 1

This was an incredibly beautiful first episode. The cinematography was top notch as was the animation. It did a fantastic job at setting the mood of the piece with the opening scene of the modern day. Really I can't say enough nice things about it.

yami4ct

Apparently he drew the names up, incorporated them into the story, and knew exactly how they would fit into the bigger picture in future developments, all within 3 hours. The dude is ridiculously talented.

That's almost too insane to be true. Wow. Dude must just have the entire world of One Piece running around in his head at all times.

Kubo can't keep a single battle straight for a dozen chapters. Oda can write up 11 characters and know where they fit in 3 hours.

Nafe

I think your reaction to Haru is understandable, and I'm honestly surprised more people haven't felt that way. I don't personally find him annoying, but when I read the manga I could definitely see aspects of his behavior that people could take offense to.

I suppose I'm like Shizuku near the end of the episode where she says
"I don't hate you Haru".
He just had a bad first impression with me. It's not like he's totally devoid of laughs either. I actually made a mistake in my earlier post as their first encounter was
Haru jumped out the window when he saw Shizuku
which I admit was kind of funny in it's randomness and Shizuku's natural reaction to complement that. The violence just before that where he beat up a guy for
losing at an arcade game and getting the character killed
was kind of funny.

I don't think the series means to endorse everything he does - he's supposed to be a clueless, raging beast that Shizuku has to tame. Hence the image of her having him on a chain that's in the OP and the manga volume covers. He has serious problems with social interaction and Shizuku is the one who teaches him how to behave. By doing so, Shizuku is brought out of the shell that she's erected for herself, and they are both able to start making friends. I think that's the author's intent, at least.

Yeah, I didn't take things too seriously as far as the violence went, as I figured it was supposed to be more just played for laughs as more of a slapstick humour type thing. The restaurant scene I think was the only part that maybe really actually kind of ticked me off and
the quick rape joke
. I've seen similar hotheaded characters whom I've found to be funny before but Haru just didn't come across as funny to me this time. I didn't want to be too hard on Haru as I mentioned, as I wondered if what you mentioned here was what the author was going for and Haru would gradually calm down and make more friends and such as the story progressed.

As far as your specific point here, (vague spoilers for succeeding manga chapters I suppose),
as will soon become apparent, Haru's "I 'love' you" statement was said rather thoughtlessly and frivolously, and he didn't actually think through what his statement meant and how it would be interpreted. As a side note, I think this is contains an unfortunate truth about relationships - as males, we're prone to say and do things which females take much more seriously than we do, which leads to all kinds of destructive misunderstandings. In Haru's case hasn't gone to school at all, has little to no social experience, most people avoid him - so when Shizuku actually pays attention to him, he's overwhelmed and overreacts in an extreme manner, taking cliches he's picked up from romance literature and acting them out on her. So if his statement sounds fake, it's because it kind of is - he doesn't really 'love' her in the way she thinks.

If it's any comfort, Haru does tone down as the manga progresses.

Ah okay, that kind of makes me feel better maybe,
more misunderstandings yay! haha

No, but seriously, you make a good point there and I guess I took
the female point of view there and took him seriously. It was kind of hard not to when Shizuku tells him he's misunderstanding his feelings and he says he wasn't. In one way that's kind of annoying still as it sounds kind of like at the restaurant where she tells him something and she's right and he just ignores her only to realize it later that she's right.

Oh well, I'll see how it plays out and take it from there I suppose.

I cannot quote on gaf mobile very efficiently so Ill just say to Nafe that what Hosanna said is what I also think about Haru.
Hes supposed to be extremely superficial and blurt out whatever he feels like.
He's socially ignorant of what a relationship even means so if he says he loves her, it is probably the only word he is familiar with to describe how he feels.
He is way too primitive to actually feel that way and mean it at this point.
So really, its not a rushed relationship, there is NO relationship yet.

Haru's character still seems kind of strange to me though. Was he supposed to be home schooled before entering high school? How did he get so smart? I ask this because it comes across as a weird contrast to Shizuku who is supposed to be similar to him in that she has no friends due to being distant to others due to prioritizing studying. She has no problems understanding how to interact with others though, for example
she could see those guys were just using Haru.
She may not be very good at it in practice but at least she understands things whereas Haru is so completely clueless and she becomes the one to instruct him. Is part of his back story how he became so socially clueless in the first place?

Dead

well not really...yet
That reminds me, who would you guys consider the best scriptwriters currently working? I'm only aware of the shit ones (Yoshino, Okada-bot, and Aikawa) and Urobuchi. They have to do an exception job one way or another in order for me to remember them.

Edit: Forgot Dai Sato but he hasn't really done much.
All the main ones I would hold in pretty high regard have either fallen off the planet or just haven't been getting major shows off the ground. Keiko Nobumoto, goddess of animu writers, is forever retired IIRC, I cant remember the last thing Chiaki Konaka did. Dai Sato has pretty much been slumming it since Ergo Proxy bombed, Ichiro Okouchi lost all of his credibility with Code Geass...

Yoji Enokido i think is pretty consistent. For the shit people give Star Driver, I think its a far better show than Melody of Oblivion ever was. Then there are people like Hiroshi Ohnoghi, who has been around for so long, he has his name attached to some really good stuff, but also some pretty bad shit too, hes another dude who doesn't cut it as a script supervisor, but works well under someone else.

If you want an extremely inconsistent writer look no further than Yosuke Kuroda, tied to some shows that I really love, but has also writtern some TRUE shit bombs, and hes a dude that usually writes all the scripts for a show hes in charge of.

tldr: Keiko Nobumoto COME BACK!!!!!

firehawk12

Subete no aware

For the first episode of this show, I quite liked the look and design of the backgrounds presented. The use of the bright colours was quite eye pleasing and I liked how some of the shots had lines running through the frame to give it that sort of brush stroke type look. It reminded me somewhat of another Brains Base show, Sengoku Collection(some of the screencaps I saw anyway), in that respect and the colours reminded me somewhat of the show Tsuritama. I also quite liked the shows opening with it's combination of visuals, colours and song.
Glad it isn't just me. lol

I think that's the first time I've seen Hawaii 5-0 gif'ed!

Joshikousei - 12 [END]

Not bad, not bad at all.

The characters were likeable and each had their own shtick that was addressed on a normal basis. The most prevalent being Ayano's lovey dovey moments with her boyfriend, that would end violently by Yuno, Eriko, and Akari's ever growing jealousy and envy. It's a joke in itself that Ayano is treated poorly as she basically traded places with their friend Kyoko; who was also a victim of their jealously whenever boys were involved until she eventually
dumped hers in either the 4th or 5th episode (the same time where Ayano just got hers).

While on the topic of humor, some if it could be pretty raunchy at times. An example of this was when
Yuno was showing Eriko how to pee into a sample cup during their physical, only to hear Eriko yell in frustration that her cup was overflowing. Another time was when Eriko was insinuating that a stray hair on a pair of safety scissors was Yuno's pubic hair
. But it was those kind of moments that made it so fun to watch. It's rare to see girl humor of this kind, and it's something I'd certainly be up to watching more of if only to balance out the male humor present in the majority of shows.

Sayaka and Nao provided the yuri. They didn't appear as often as I had hoped, but when they did show up they certainly delivered.

It's a fun, silly show. I'd recommend it to anyone willing to go the distance for that extra yuri, or is interested in seeing some dirty girl humor that most guys probably haven't considered before.
So what's next? You're kind of at the limit of modern girl's school/yuri anime now. lol

(Finish Best Student Council!)

Yeah, I didn't take things too seriously as far as the violence went, as I figured it was supposed to be more just played for laughs as more of a slapstick humour type thing. The restaurant scene I think was the only part that maybe really actually kind of ticked me off and
the quick rape joke
. I've seen similar hotheaded characters whom I've found to be funny before but Haru just didn't come across as funny to me this time. I didn't want to be too hard on Haru as I mentioned, as I wondered if what you mentioned here was what the author was going for and Haru would gradually calm down and make more friends and such as the story progressed.

Like I said, I think your reaction is natural, and I myself would likely be less tolerant of Haru if I ran into him in the real world. The author certainly could have toned him down a bit from the start, and perhaps the series would be better for it. But I do think that, like the other Haru in Tsuritama, he's meant to be somewhat frustrating in his blindness to other people's feelings and his impulsive nature, and Shizuku reacts accordingly, liking some aspects of him, but disliking others and not afraid to tell him so.

Ah okay, that kind of makes me feel better maybe,
more misunderstandings yay! haha

Heh, well (Vague manga spoilers, sort of)
from what I've read of the manga, it doesn't really rely on the kind of dumb misunderstandings that shoujo romance is known for. Shizuku and Haru are willing to be frank with each other. I haven't read all of it though, so that could change down the line.

Oh well, I'll see how it plays out and take it from there I suppose.

Yeah, I think next week should make the direction of the show clearer.

Haru's character still seems kind of strange to me though. Was he supposed to be home schooled before entering high school? How did he get so smart? I ask this because it comes across as a weird contrast to Shizuku who is supposed to be similar to him in that she has no friends due to being distant to others due to prioritizing studying. She has no problems understanding how to interact with others though, for example
she could see those guys were just using Haru.
She may not be very good at it in practice but at least she understands things whereas Haru is so completely clueless and she becomes the one to instruct him. Is part of his back story how he became so socially clueless in the first place?

I don't want to go into specific spoilers, but these questions do get addressed later on.

Branduil

My Little Monster 1

I'm going to have to start calling them Based Brains instead of Brains Base if they keep making shows with such great art direction. The post-impressionistic background art with large flat swathes of color is really a delight to look at. The color design for the characters does a great job of complementing it as well.

Even though it's somewhat different in tone from Kimi ni Todoke, there are still some marked similarities, in both Kaburaki's matter-of-fact presentation of humor, and the subject matter of socially-challenged individuals desperate for friendship. The animation isn't particularly flashy, but that doesn't mean it's bad; far from it, some of the little touches are really nice, like the way Shizuku skitters away from Haru when she's perturbed.

They also managed to fill the episode with a surprising amount of content. Some people have mentioned problematic editing, but the only place I feel you can make that complaint is when
Haru shows up at school and a month suddenly passes.
I found the editing to be pretty good overall, with some effective uses of cuts, like when
Haru pours his drink on Shizuku
. I also really liked this transition shot from a visual standpoint:

Overall it was a thoroughly enjoyable first episode, though I do hope they deal with Haru's disturbing violent tendencies at some point. Also, Shizuku is pretty cute in that girl-next-door kind of way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom