• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Minsc-

Well I will stick with it, but jesus they could have made the first episode a bit more exciting. It's meant to be the hook for God's sake.

And you lot are really hyping it up. This better not be E3 levels of false hype.

From what I observed School Days is like that forbidden drug. You know you should avoid it, you know it'll mess with your mind. The lure however is too strong and you can't avoid flying in to the light.

Some of us went and spoiled the plot to our selves. We avoided an experience which others who have wish they could. However, we also miss an experience. What would it have been like? We'll never know.

The choice is in you.

Edit:

If you are going all the way, marathon it now. Get it over quick.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Wait, you don't know the ending? I figured everyone in here did already. Gonna be awesome to see your reaction.
Apart from some big names I haven't really follow anime until very recently.

There's a flash version that us UK plebs can watch, at least.
The Anime Network (whoever they are) were trying to prevent me from seeing this? People have been sentenced to death for lesser crimes than that.

Saya is an entertaining schlocky horror read but it's not really well written. It's full of typical VN things like misogyny and random sex.

I disagree. Nearly everything, including the sex, has a purpose, and it only drives home the point of how unnerving and fucked up everything is that's going on. I'd say it adds a ton to just how horrifying the whole "altered perception" thing is, Saya being by far the best work I've seen using that kind of story.

I do have some complaints about it, but overall I think it's pretty well written.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
From what I observed School Days is like that forbidden drug. You know you should avoid it, you know it'll mess with your mind. The lure however is too strong and you can't avoid flying in to the light.

Some of us went and spoiled the plot to our selves. We avoided an experience which others who have wish they could. However, we also miss an experience. What would it have been like? We'll never know.

The choice is in you.
I watched School Days already spoiled on it and still found it to be an incredibly engaging show. The payoff doesn't really work without the build-up surrounding it. It truly is the Oedipus Rex of the medium.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
<Zeroth> Any score below 39 at famitsu translates as "not enough moneyhat" random sex (or unbelievable romances leading to sex), disgustingly bloated writing often in dire need of editing (don't writers get paid by the line or something?), bad art.

Generally speaking.
Are there no politically correct entertainment mediums left these days?

What is the world coming to?

yami4ct

Misogyny, random sex (or unbelievable romances leading to sex), disgustingly bloated writing often in dire need of editing (don't writers get paid by the line or something?), bad art.

Generally speaking.

Misogyny is a huge problem in a lot of "nerd focussed" media, for lack of a better term. Video games and anime in general both suffer greatly from it. Just look at the Major's outfit in GitS:SAC or any of the female character designs in One Piece. It can get a bit overwhelming at times. Video games are as bad or worse. Visual Novels are particularly guilty of it, but it's a problem that needs to be solved across the board.

Can't really refute this as I haven't played the game myself but I've never heard anyone, before you, speak bad of it.

The writing in Saya no Uta is effective at accomplishing its goals and doesn't fall prey to the usual big flaw in VN writing of being needlessly wordy. It's just that the goals it wants to achieve are rather distasteful and its agenda anti-human. In that way, it's kind of like Blood-C.

jbug617

Banned
What season does the Funimation releases of One Piece cover? I'm thinking about just jumping in a buying a couple of the collections.

Jarmel

Banned
The writing in Saya no Uta is effective at accomplishing its goals and doesn't fall prey to the usual big flaw in VN writing of being needlessly wordy. It's just that the goals it wants to achieve are rather distasteful and its agenda anti-human. In that way, it's kind of like Blood-C.

That's actually kinda funny and very much Urobuchi.

yami4ct

God, after last night's experience, I don't know if that description makes me want to play it or avoid it like the plague.

Stoof

What season does the Funimation releases of One Piece cover? I'm thinking about just jumping in a buying a couple of the collections.

The Collections go up to 205 which is right after the end of the Skypeia arc, and the Voyages are at 217 right now.

jbug617

Banned
The Collections go up to 205 which is right after the end of the Skypeia arc, and the Voyages are at 217 right now.

Honestly trying to buy this series is confusing. I don't know where to start but I guess collections 1-8 is the starter kit?

Narag

One Piece 43

Well that's that. Eat shit, Arlong.
Luffy trusting Nami with his hat was a nice touch given how much it meant to him.
Another visual touch I like in general is when he's drawn with that slight definition in his arms as his design looks so much better than normal. :lol @ the marine's long distance communication too

wonzo

Banned
The Gyrozetter ED is up on YouTube. It is indeed incredible as advertised.
amigara.png

Stoof

Honestly trying to buy this series is confusing. I don't know where to start but I guess collections 1-8 is the starter kit?

I hope I can explain this right. Funi started releasing the Voyages first, and they had about 13 episodes in each, and then like a year to a year-and-a-half ago they started selling Collections from the beginning which usually have about 26 episodes, or essentially bundles 2 Voyages. Collections 1-8 is the same as Voyages 1-16. So it's cheaper to buy the Collections if you're starting out now. It just might be a bit before they release Collection 9 since they pretty much caught up to the Voyages.

Gilgamesh

From the New World - 01

Best game of 'telephone' ever!

Loved the opening scene. Disturbing stuff. As a huge Lost fan, I'm a sucker for being teased with mysteries, so I'm really looking forward to seeing how the plot threads unravel.

Guys, I started watching Space Brothers the day before yesterday.

I'm now 20 episodes deep and there's no turning back. What have I done?!

OTL

It's SO GOOD.

jbug617

Banned
I hope I can explain this right. Funi started releasing the Voyages first, and they had about 13 episodes in each, and then like a year to a year-and-a-half ago they started selling Collections from the beginning which usually have about 26 episodes, or essentially bundles 2 Voyages. Collections 1-8 is the same as Voyages 1-16. So it's cheaper to buy the Collections if you're starting out now. It just might be a bit before they release Collection 9 since they pretty much caught up to the Voyages.

So basically they are running two dvd series at the same time (Voyages and Collections), the content is the same but just in different packaging.

I just seen on Amazon and they have a couple of Voyages coming out and those releases will probably be part of the Collection series later on.

Stoof

So basically they are running two dvd series at the same time (Voyages and Collections), the content is the same but just in different packaging.

I just seen on Amazon and they have a couple of Voyages coming out and those releases will probably be part of the Collection series later on.

Yeah, the Voyages will be coming out first and then most likely followed by Collections a few/several months later if they continue with them. So the Voyages are for the people that want it then, and the Collections are for people who can wait a while, at least that's how I see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom