• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ouran does this to some extent as well (like with pointing hands specifically), but it's pretty great, and given that it has source material to work off of, I don't know how much work he personally did in adapting it.

He did write all the episode scripts himself. Though his idea for the anime-original ending was not so good.

He should really move on, though. Do something cool like FLCL again.

Redline was something different, though I don't particularly care for that script either.

I agree also can anyone gif. that scene in my little monster anime where haru gets inside the cardboard box as he tells the shizuku
to follow him home??
:D

Someone earlier in the thread posted a GIF of it, so I'll just link that here:

NAM1P.gif

OceanBlue

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun 1

Haha, in the beginning, I was thinking, "Mmm... this is definitely a shoujo."

I tend to like slower-paced anime, so I feel as if the pacing went by a little too quickly. As a whole I feel satisfied, but I don't feel as if any scene felt especially important to me. It was as if, by the end of the episode, someone had told me a quick summary of who each character was.

Maybe what I'm expecting and what the anime is trying to do are different, and it feels weird to me since I'm used to a much slower pace. The introduction for the main characters is out of the way. I think that was the most important thing for me to take away from this episode.

I am being overly negative. I liked this episode a lot more than my post would suggest. The characters so far are nice. The jokes were chuckle-worthy. The animation is pretty good and everything is pleasing to the eye. It's just that, while everything was done pretty well, that's all I really think about it by the end.

I think the biggest problem is that I ended up watching this with huge expectations. Maybe it needed to be a harem instead. :D

Penguindrum 16
Most memorable quote yet: "I like my men like my first cup of tea; first sipped by me" or something.

The whole thing with Sahei Natsume was so silly and hilarious. The random english speaker made me laugh so much and then just the lines Natsume said were so rediculous. However the lady's line, although she despises him, how odd for her to adopt his mannerisms.

Best part:
The whole ordeal with the blowfish and poison and her deal and the grandfather coming back to life through Mario and then the train with Sanetoshi and Kanba, mindblowing, unexpected, and just unforseen.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

I said something about liking the fact that Shizuku was good at calculus but then got scared that people would think I was implicitly perpetuating the stereotype that girls are bad at math, hahah. Can't be too careful.

It's only one episode. :)

You can see the genesis of KnT in the OVA, which is why I wasn't surprised when I saw that the director of the OVA worked on select episodes of KnT. I'm sure there was some influence by the KnT somewhere anyway.

I doubt there was influence per se, since the Hiyokoi short was made after the first season of Kimi ni Todoke. But its director, Norihiro Naganuma, not only worked on selected episodes of Kimi ni Todoke but served as its assistant director, and is serving in the same role on Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun. So it's not surprising if there are similarities between the three.

I said something about liking the fact that Shizuku was good at calculus but then got scared that people would think I was implicitly perpetuating the stereotype that girls are bad at math, hahah. Can't be too careful.

That's what you were concerned about? Being a bit too sensitive there, methinks. (But then I'm the same way, so I can't judge.)

Necrovex

One Piece 227

I have decided to finally start on the Water 7 arc after taking a year hiatus from the show (because of the Skypeia arc). The latter half of this episode made me feel really excited to see the next episode, which I am going to watch after this post.

New eniemes, a new story arc, and an arc that is highly praised by Anime-Gaf. This better not let me down like the former arc did.

Those shipwrecked people are going to die after a week. You don't tell a group of people to walk to an island, which will take four days, without some a compass.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
So what's next? You're kind of at the limit of modern girl's school/yuri anime now. lol

(Finish Best Student Council!)

I have no idea. Best Student Council is breathing down my neck but I'm trying my best to ignore it as long as I can. Here's what I'm thinking of watching:

Kanamemo (because I don't think there ever will be a stream to finish it, no problem!)
Kashimashi Girl Meets Girl (already 2, maybe 3 episodes in)
Uta Kata
Mouretsu Pirates (it's tagged with Shoujo Ai so we'll see)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I doubt there was influence per se, since the Hiyokoi short was made after the first season of Kimi ni Todoke. But its director, Norihiro Naganuma, not only worked on selected episodes of Kimi ni Todoke but served as its assistant director, and is serving in the same role on Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun. So it's not surprising if there are similarities between the three.

That's what you were concerned about? Being a bit too sensitive there, methinks. (But then I'm the same way, so I can't judge.)
Hrm, must have gotten my timelines wrong. I thought it came before for some reason. Then the influence is in the other direction. Either way, they're pretty similar and it's worth watching!

You know, one thing I thought about - does that mean directors aren't really attached to studios? Need to make a shoujo? Hire these two guys because they're good at it!

So sexist! :p

I have no idea. Best Student Council is breathing down my neck but I'm trying my best to ignore it as long as I can. Here's what I'm thinking of watching:

Kanamemo (because I don't think there ever be a stream to finish it, no problem!)
Kashimashi Girl Meets Girl (already 2, maybe 3 episodes in already)
Uta Kata

Kanamemo has that yuri couple I guess. I don't remember it being particularly good or bad.
Moretsu Pirates has that one stupid yuri arc. lol

(And finish BSS! lol)

What are you guys doing to me.... this is like some sort of... reeducation.
Don't worry, that's all there is!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
One Piece 227

I have decided to finally start on the Water 7 arc after taking a year hiatus from the show (because of the Skypeia arc). The latter half of this episode made me feel really excited to see the next episode, which I am going to watch after this post.

New eniemes, a new story arc, and an arc that is highly praised by Anime-Gaf. This better not let me down like the former arc did.

Those shipwrecked people are going to die after a week. You don't tell a group of people to walk to an island, which will take four days, without some a compass.

You're in for a ride.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Kanamemo has that yuri couple I guess. I don't remember it being particularly good or bad.
Moretsu Pirates has that one stupid yuri arc. lol
(And finish BSS! lol)

From what I remember of Kanamemo I enjoyed it.

Hopefully that yuri arc in Mouretsu Pirates is looooong.

I'll try to continue BSS.... at some point. ;_;

Nisemonogatari 7 - 8

The writer of the story must do more action writing One of the things that was really nice was the Araragi v his sister fight, comical yet really nice looking and intense. Kaiki conversations are really good even though it always leaves me way confused
all those lies I just lose track of what he is even after, and I guess I felt like Araragi just confused, was there or was there not a flame bee?! Ill miss him and hope he returns in some form.

For eight, Araragi is truly a genius mastermind of a brother. The choice of the game was fantastic and just the entire
Toothbrush
idea and scene, his expressions and faces all throughout, really cool. Really its just an experience I dont think I will ever forget, just so intense. If only other brothers in other series could do the same, a great prompt for fanfics.

Pooya

Nisemonogatari 7 - 8

For eight, Araragi is truly a genius mastermind of a brother. The choice of the game was fantastic and just the entire
Toothbrush
idea and scene, his expressions and faces all throughout, really cool. Really its just an experience I dont think I will ever forget, just so intense.

......right,
toothbrush wincest
is something you'll never forget! oh boy, you should be ashamed :\

Nafe

Heh, well (Vague manga spoilers, sort of)
from what I've read of the manga, it doesn't really rely on the kind of dumb misunderstandings that shoujo romance is known for. Shizuku and Haru are willing to be frank with each other. I haven't read all of it though, so that could change down the line.

Okay, that's good to hear. I had actually read some comments from people where
they mentioned they found it refreshing that both of the characters were more direct with each other in contrast to the usual shoujo character types.

I don't want to go into specific spoilers, but these questions do get addressed later on.

Okay, that's good to hear. Based off of first impressions, it kind of seemed like both of them should be aware or neither of them should be aware and it would be kind of a blind leading the blind type of thing as they tried to figure things out.

My Little Monster 1
I'm going to have to start calling them Based Brains instead of Brains Base if they keep making shows with such great art direction. The post-impressionistic background art with large flat swathes of color is really a delight to look at. The color design for the characters does a great job of complementing it as well.

Yeah, I am really liking the visuals in this show. I know people have already expressed their opinions about Sengoku Collection but I kind of want to check out those few highlighted episodes more now.

The animation isn't particularly flashy, but that doesn't mean it's bad; far from it, some of the little touches are really nice, like the way Shizuku skitters away from Haru when she's perturbed.

Haha, I quite liked that. I thought it was funny the first time I saw it and she does it again. Along with what I mentioned it my review, it maybe wasn't really great quality or anything but it did have a lot of those nice little touches, yeah.

They also managed to fill the episode with a surprising amount of content. Some people have mentioned problematic editing, but the only place I feel you can make that complaint is when
Haru shows up at school and a month suddenly passes.
I found the editing to be pretty good overall, with some effective uses of cuts, like when
Haru pours his drink on Shizuku
. I also really liked this transition shot from a visual standpoint:

Well, I've already mentioned my displeasure with Haru's character there but I do agree with you that
the look of the descending sparkles coming down followed by the ripple of drink on her tray and then her shocked expression, was quite powerful visually. Then the follow up with the music pick up and her hurling her drink back at him!(I would have reacted the same honestly)

I also quite liked that shot! Aw, I really should have put a few more pictures into my impressions like I initially thought :(
The show really does deserve it in my opinion. Next time then.

Overall it was a thoroughly enjoyable first episode, though I do hope they deal with Haru's disturbing violent tendencies at some point. Also, Shizuku is pretty cute in that girl-next-door kind of way.

Agreed with this here.

You know, I think people who liked Tonari should check out the HiyoKoi OVA.

It's too bad that never went to full series.

Okay, I'll have to look this one up. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Mr. Fix

One Piece 399
I usually wouldn't talk about another episode so quickly, but I really want to speak to how awesome the additions of Kid and Law are. Oda has finally injected the series with something it desperately needed since day 1, a real, threatening group of rivals. Sure, we're told Shanks, Whitebeard, Blackbeard, etc. are all trying to become Pirate King as well, but all of them have either felt like villains or just forces of nature. Here, we're given two people on about Luffy's level, who aren't set up as immediately hostile. I'm sure it will be ages before anything with these guys comes to fruition, given One Piece's slow macro story telling, but just having them there is great.

The structure of characters in OP really is something, especially when Oda manages to make the fans actually care about the side characters.

Also, where's the JoJo animu thread?!

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
The structure of characters in OP really is something, especially when Oda manages to make the fans actually care about the side characters.

Also, where's the JoJo animu thread?!
Isn't there a MANGAF OT already?

Necrovex

One Piece 228

The first half of this episode, oh god, so good. I am excited to see some of the end-fights that will occur in this arc.

Anyway, One Piece continues to do a solid job in changing tones. One moment, it is serious, and then the other, it is joking around. Though, I always enjoy the former more. Smart, serious Luffy shall always be my favorite Luffy.

And I forgot how tsundre Chopper can be.

Lain

Horizon S2 Ep. 12-13

That's how you end a such a great battle, with risky stunts in aerial fights.
There is something about the whole battle that I really liked, and that is the detail spent on it as well as mostly no lone hero jumping out of the woodwork to save the day, which made the fights actually exciting and meaningful to be shown.

I started calling this show the best show of summer before it even aired. Now that it's ended, I maintain that it's the best show of summer. Funny, exciting, nice looking, with the ability to not take itself seriously but knowing when and how to make the more serious stuf actually stand out.

I want a third season like right now. The wait is going to be annoying.

From the New World 1 (rewatch)

Was planning to just check out the OP but went ahead and rewatched the whole thing. Satoru still makes me laugh and really brightens things up.

The song is really nice and I love the fireworks.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I could never tell if Shaq was actually laughing or making that guy look like an asshole.

Either way this image made me feel guilty.

It's not my joke!

cajunator

Banned

Kanamemo (because I don't think there ever will be a stream to finish it, no problem!)
Kashimashi Girl Meets Girl (already 2, maybe 3 episodes in)
Uta Kata

Uta Kata is pretty interesting.
It has the Kiddy Grade art style which is kind of unique as far as anime goes.
Mouretsu pirates is hard sci fi at first so be aware that it takes a while to get going. Plus its not really focused on shoujo ai.

Horizon S2 Ep. 12-13

That's how you end a such a great battle, with risky stunts in aerial fights.
There is something about the whole battle that I really liked, and that is the detail spent on it as well as mostly no lone hero jumping out of the woodwork to save the day, which made the fights actually exciting and meaningful to be shown.

I started calling this show the best show of summer before it even aired. Now that it's ended, I maintain that it's the best show of summer. Funny, exciting, nice looking, with the ability to not take itself seriously but knowing when and how to make the more serious stuf actually stand out.

I want a third season like right now. The wait is going to be annoying.

Yeah I like how Horizon splits most of all the battle moments among everyone and, at least this season, its not just one lone hero. Hopefully an S3 and S4 is planned for 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom