• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uchip

Banned
I've talked to pizzaroll on skype. He's definitely boring compared to me!

My e-personality and rl one are pretty similar. I'm more formal depending on the situation though.

you play games from what sounds like a kindergarten
thats pretty out there!

BluWacky

You've never acted differently with a friend when you're alone than when you're at school among all your peers?

She doesn't care about her peers. She doesn't relate to anyone - Shizuku is portrayed as an ice queen (hence the bunny rabbit scene).

Regardless of the above, I'm not doing a very good job of explaining why I found this odd, so I apologise. I think it's more in terms of "pacing" her mood changes - probably as a consequence of this being a manga adaptation. I can understand the start of, say, the second chapter of the manga opening with Shizuku finding Haru irritating at school, when you've had a week's break since the previous scene. But slipping into it after a few seconds felt "off" somehow.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Legend of the Galactic Heroes 042
5ISibl.png
Julian is pretty moé alright. And that fashion sense is outrageous.

Magi hype continues to build. Lovely Mor cover on this week's Shonen Sunday with shots of the anime in the background.

The manga guide book just released as well, perfect timing as per the usual.

It's hard to go to any book store right now without being flooded with Magi. Hell, there was a separate manga magazine next to SS with a Magi cover for some reason.

mAcOdIn

Not really. there were a couple of times she barely wanted anything to do with the guy. she nearly ran away from him for good. Her actions seemed pretty understandable given how strange the guy is originally.
What?
well, see the scenes after
Haru punched her in the face
. It was the only real moment she was the active person but just to show that she was wrong to quit the friendship because of this accident.
The first episode was about to install a relationship where Haru has his (violent) quirks and a Shizuku who needs to learn to deal with them.
What?

I think too much anime's been watched between the two of you where Haru is no longer considered too weird by the end of the first episode and it's the girl that has to deal with the guy's violent tendencies.

Other than that, I thought it was an amusing enough show, will probably continue to watch it.

Haru really is fucking weird though, I mean, really weird. He basically acted like he'd never been to school before in his life despite:
a) going to school pretty much since he should be able to remember up until the point he was suspended
and
b) going to that school up to his suspension
so why the fuck is he acting like it's some kind of damn alien environment?

Haru really is fucking weird though, I mean, really weird. He basically acted like he'd never been to school before in his life despite:
a) going to school pretty much since he should be able to remember up until the point he was suspended
and

He was suspended on the first day of high school. Also, he skipped out on pretty much all of middle school.

mAcOdIn

He was suspended on the first day of high school. Also, he skipped out on pretty much all of middle school.
Huh? I thought it was the first day that he didn't show up and he got suspended later, figured he had to actually be at school to be able to hit someone at the school and since he wasn't at the opening ceremony then, whatever.

And I'd need to see clarification on what skipping out on "most" of middle school mean, even if he went a fourth of the time that's still a lot of damn time at school, surely there's attendance laws or something in Japan, right?

Firemind

I think your reaction to Haru is understandable, and I'm honestly surprised more people haven't felt that way. I don't personally find him annoying, but when I read the manga I could definitely see aspects of his behavior that people could take offense to.

While I get the impression Haru is a colossal twit, I'm giving him the benefit of doubt for the time being. I did do a double take when he punched her in a fit of rage, but he may just be misunderstood and actually has a heart of gold! As for Shizuku, she's your average student striving for academic excellence. Somewhat selfish, apathetic and overall not sociable. No, I'm not exactly enamored by the two main characters yet, but that's perfectly fine. They're supposed to be flawed characters in an increasingly growing relationship. That's what makes for interesting shoujo characters, unlike Kimi ni Todoke.

OceanBlue

What?

I think too much anime's been watched between the two of you where Haru is no longer considered too weird by the end of the first episode and it's the girl that has to deal with the guy's violent tendencies.

You can tell by the OP imagery, where she puts a leash on him, and most of the development in this episode that this is the direction they're going, whether it's weird or not. As far as shoujo goes, I'm pretty sure the idea of taming a wild man is kinda popular. I'm sure there's a good shounen analogy but I'm too tired and braindead right now to think of one...

Well, it's just speculation on my part. To be honest, I haven't experienced a lot of shoujo romances. Also, I haven't read the source so I could be wrong. Others here would know more than me.

duckroll

What?

What?

I agree, Haru is pretty weird. It's a bit hard to excuse not just his violent nature, but how he also seems oblivious to how disturbing his constant sexual harassment is. But, I think his total lack of social graces and awareness is part of what the show is about.

and

Well to be fair....

a) He could have gone through his previous schools with no friends, or maybe he moved here from somewhere else. I dunno, but this is his first year at high school and it's still a new environment for him.

b) He was suspended on the first day at at school after beating some bullies up. He has never showed up for class ever.

Wait what? That just makes him WEIRDER. :/

Huh? Haru is a cardboard joke character. And it's the "job" of the shojo mc to turn him into a handsome guy.
There is no way you can describes Haru as real character in episode 1.

Steroyd

You can tell by the OP imagery, where she puts a leash on him, and most of the development in this episode that this is the direction they're going, whether it's weird or not. As far as shoujo goes, I'm pretty sure the idea of taming a wild man is kinda popular. I'm sure there's a good shounen analogy but I'm too tired and braindead right now to think of one...

Well, it's just speculation on my part. To be honest, I haven't experienced a lot of shoujo romances. Also, I haven't read the source so I could be wrong. Others here would know more than me.

I'd say she's already got a "leash" on him, he's been following her like a little puppy ever since she spoke up for him.

mAcOdIn

I agree, Haru is pretty weird. It's a bit hard to excuse not just his violent nature, but how he also seems oblivious to how disturbing his constant sexual harassment is. But, I think his total lack of social graces and awareness is part of what the show is about.
No way, everything's weird about him. Sneaking around school like he's Solid Snake, bouncing around in his desk like a lunatic, he's well beyond what a reasonable socially awkward fictional character should or even could be, he essentially is just a joke character.
Well to be fair....

a) He could have gone through his previous schools with no friends, or maybe he moved here from somewhere else. I dunno, but this is his first year at high school and it's still a new environment for him.

b) He was suspended on the first day at at school after beating some bullies up. He has never showed up for class ever.
Lots of people are saying this, I'll concede, the show did say first day of school I just found it hard to follow as he wasn't there for the ceremony, which I assume would be at the start of school, and then later got expelled, so I figured the line was wrong but I guess he could have showed up late and got in a fight on school grounds before actually attending any class.

Also, I have to remember that some people, most I guess, do seem to treat the later years of school as different where I myself didn't so I have trouble relating to some "split" between high school and any "school" before it, to me it was all the same shit.
Huh? Haru is a cardboard joke character. And it's the "job" of the shojo mc to turn him into a handsome guy.
There is no way you can describes Haru as real character in episode 1.
I never said he was a real character.
Nope. Not really. And kids don't get held back in Japan either.

It's part of what enables the hikkikomori phenomenon.
Why are we so oppressed here?

OceanBlue

Oh! I just realized a good analogy. There's one airing this season: Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo.

Although that wasn't exactly what I meant when I first said it, it's similar.

Well he's supposed to be weird!

Lots of people are saying this, I'll concede, the show did say first day of school I just found it hard to follow as he wasn't there for the ceremony, which I assume would be at the start of school, and then later got expelled, so I figured the line was wrong but I guess he could have showed up late and got in a fight on school grounds before actually attending any class.

The way I understood it is that he showed up, got in a fight, and then left before the opening ceremony started. The scenario you describe is also possible, of course.

cajunator

Banned
Madoka Spoilers~

This is actually something that I thought was pretty obvious from very early on in the series given Madoka's role. I don't understand why people's jimmies were getting so thoroughly rustled by
Madoka not contracting.
I mean, half the reason Sayaka existed was so that
someone could become meguca since Madoka clearly wasn't.

I don't mean this in a "yeah I called it :smugface:" way, but in a "a year later, my balls are still chuffed from having to listen to people whine about
Madoka not contracting
" kind of way.

So what you're saying is that you have smug, happy balls?

Welcome to the NHK 5

This is suprisingly good lol.

Yeah, it really is a great show. It gets a lot darker than you might expect too. It also explores some messed up life situations outside of just Sato.

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun - 01

This show is super cute, so i'm going to watch it. I also like both main characters so that's that.

Shizuku is completely and utterly hnnnngh to the max.

Welcome to the NHK 07

puripuripurii lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7asrTH3gII

Well to be fair....

Haru just comes across as purposefully fucked up as much as possible to make his transformation to a suitable love interest all the more significant and interesting. Hes an obvious exaggeration and Im pretty certain 99% of people wouldn't go near him if he was real.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
There are talented writers working in the anime industry, but it doesn't appear that the industry can support a writer only interested in working good material in the long term. There's a lot of work, but most of it is kinda bad. As a writer, if you want to survive, it looks to me that you either have to have another real job (writing novels, being a playwright, writing for games/VN, officer worker, Lawsons clerk, etc :p) or you have to take on a bunch of work where you will have to compromise on quality/subject matter, and just basically work for hire.

I think that Kuroda, Aikawa, Enokido, Ohnogi, Yoshida, Sato, etc are all capable writers. Capable as in, they understand literature, have good foundations in screenwriting, and are able to do good work if they are matched with a capable director and work on the right subject matter. But to make ends meet, it is unrealistic to expect a writer to pick and choose only projects which they're good at or which interests them. So they "turn into shit" being forced to work on stuff outside their comfort zone, and just writing stuff which pay the bills, or being forced into production schedules which don't result in the best outcome.

Urobuchi is a very interesting writer. I like him a lot, and I'm a huge fan of his works. But it has come to my attention that some people consider him a bad writer. Looking into these opinions and considering the facts have led me to a conclusion. Urobuchi is a writer who does not aim higher than what he deems necessary for a given topic. He is a pulp writer who is more interested in delivering a tight and coherent experience that fits nicely into the concept being sold to an audience, and he is more interested in "pandering" to the satisfaction of the audience and managing expectations very neatly, rather than having something particularly profound or meaningful to say.

And thinking about this led me to realize that the reason I like his form of writing is that for mainstream anime these days, I feel this is exactly what I want and need from it. When there is a solid production behind a concept which I find appealing, the last thing I want is for the creators to be "too smart" and try to out-think the audience, or make their characters so philosophical that they become parodies of themselves. I just want what I was promised, and if there is foreshadowing and teasing of stuff, I expect those to be deliver in the proper proportion that the show is suggesting.

Saya no Uta, Madoka, Fate/Zero, these all fall perfectly under this category. Nothing is promised but under-delivered, if you expect the story to "go there", it will, because if it hints at it, it will deliver. If it isn't going to "go there", it will not suggest it to begin with. The endings are also major game changing events, which walks the fine line between feeling conclusive, and also being bittersweet. Urobuchi also tends to specifically write in moments in the endings which show that the characters who survived or won something "earned" it in some way. This reinforces the audience's satisfaction with how "watertight" the entire story is, and it feels more conclusive and cohesive as a whole.

My point is that I don't think it matters to me that Urobuchi doesn't "aim high" because the important thing for me is that so far when he has been seriously involved with a project, he doesn't "miss the goal". And while he doesn't aim high, he also tends to write in very interesting genres which don't really exist much anywhere else these days. Even something like Blassreiter isn't common at all, and in the hands of a better studio and director, it could have been something really special. His most "generic" work to speak of would be Phantom of the Inferno, and only because Bee Train went out of their way to water the entire "girls with guns" genre down year after year from Noir onwards. When Bee Train stopped, so did that genre.

tl;dr: I dunno... if you didn't bother to read all that text I spent time typing... FUCK YOU!!! Lol. :)

That's a very interesting and well thought out analysis. I like this type of writing too, because it's more focused and concise.

sonicmj1

No way, everything's weird about him. Sneaking around school like he's Solid Snake, bouncing around in his desk like a lunatic, he's well beyond what a reasonable socially awkward fictional character should or even could be, he essentially is just a joke character.

I'm working in a school right now. Those things aren't that unbelievable. It's the whole package of incredible strength, complete social awkwardness, and idiot-savant genius that stretch the boundaries for me. But I don't care that much.

There usually aren't any classes the day of the opening ceremony. I figured he skipped that day, and got expelled on the first day of classes.

And I'd need to see clarification on what skipping out on "most" of middle school mean, even if he went a fourth of the time that's still a lot of damn time at school, surely there's attendance laws or something in Japan, right?

I have a student who I've only once ever seen in class. Through out her entire first year in middle school, I only had her in class once.

Take that as you will. I'm talking about Japan of course.

Anyway, I caught up to Space Brothers tonight and fuck, guys. So many feels.

cajunator

Banned
I have a student who I've only once ever seen in class. Through out her entire first year in middle school, I only had her in class once.

Take that as you will. I'm talking about Japan of course.

Anyway, I caught up to Space Brothers tonight and fuck, guys. So many feels.

I know. It makes you want Mutta to succeed sooooooooooo badly.

cajunator

Banned
He might, who knows?
Theres a good bit of the show left. no telling what direction it will go.
Its actually a weird sort of show. It airs during actual daylight hours and is a long running series, but not shounen. Its a strange beast.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
We all know how it will end. Mutta will come close to giving up, then Hibito will die in a tragic accident giving Mutta the motivation he needs to go all the way to Mars.
I have a hard time picturing it being even remotely morbid like that when it's so approachable by a wide audience. I also don't feel like that would add much to the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom