• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Wait... What? No way...

Way.

iBiRDPrxvfoCn.gif

Branduil

I dunno, Usui was just as "enigmatic". He just wasn't "wacky" about it in the way that Haru is. It just popped up a red flag anyway.

I still think KnT is the perfect shoujo of course, mostly because of the grounded nature of the Kazehaya/Sawako relationship (he's just a guy that is nice. He doesn't need to be super smart or super athletic or hunky), so anything that veers off from that is going to niggle at me in some way. lol

Kimi ni Todoke might be the perfect shoujo if someone edited it down to about 12 episodes.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Legend of the Galactic Heroes 041
I'm sorry, no, what the fuck is going on in the middle? Is there a supernova or a black hole impeding their passage? And if so, what about the outside? It doesn't seem to be guarded by the Alliance. Are they enclosed inside a gigant asteroid cluster? Radiation? I mean what?

This episode also marks the moment when Lohengramm
goes from idealistic but swift dictator to full-on jerk arse son of a bitch.
Oh, what the fuck was up with people recognising other people while inside a car driving opposite ways and going at full speed?
I hadn't noticed the tender movement of her himecut in that gif 'til now. Truly gorgeous.

Thoraxes

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun - 01

This show is super cute, so i'm going to watch it. I also like both main characters so that's that.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Well, any character in a fictional work is qualified to be a character by virtue of existing.
Yeah but the characters in Hyouka are actual good characters that feel like real people.

The fact that a show with such characters can exist and people will still write those things off... I don't even know. Anime fans.

Branduil

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun 1

I'm a bit hesitant to say "this is great" at this stage. Perhaps because, unlike Kami-sama Hajimemashita, this didn't do anything to exceed my expectations or put a new spin on anything. It's an attractive and entertaining show, don't get me wrong, and with a lesser team behind it it wouldn't have been as attractive and entertaining, but there isn't that "spark" of originality that I might have been hoping for. I'll definitely watch more, though, and I think my opinion on the show will improve as the cast expands.

Incidentally this is kind of how I felt about Kimi ni Todoke as well - a solid adaptation, but not an exciting one.

I'm also not entirely sure what to make of Shizuku - her feelings about Haru seem to vacillate from scene to scene without much consistency for dramatic purposes. I will, of course, reserve judgement on her until a few more episodes have passed.

So, you're saying she's a teenager?

Branduil

Yeah but the characters in Hyouka are actual good characters that feel like real people.

The fact that a show with such characters can exist and people will still write those things off... I don't even know. Anime fans.

But it's slice of life, that means character development can't happen.

Thoraxes

Just because they were believable (which I recognize as good, and a good achievement for anime) doesn't mean that everyone enjoyed their personalities, end-loaded development, or their outcome though.

This is just a matter of opinion though.

fertygo

That silhouette looks like fairy in Jinrui.

You're right, Chitanda is like one of those crazy gossip reporter in the real life.

Btw, I like Hyouka and its chara :(

Branduil

1. Shizuku was hardly instantly receptive to the bizarre nature of Haru's actions, quite the opposite.

2. Concerning your second sentence, I would not consider her a mere "plot device" (I don't know what that would even mean in this context), but I will say - and I can speak with some personal experience about this - that loners are often by nature passive people. Shizuku in particular has created her own insular world of academics that she's lived in for most of her life; she's not going to turn around and suddenly be taking bold, confident actions in a social life that's been thrust upon her.

That scene was the point where I realized what a good job the voice actress was doing in portraying her.

The voice acting was noticeably good throughout the first episode.

Horizon s2 end

Seriously one of the most intense airship battles I have ever seen. Where was this kind of insanity in Skies of Arcadia? We need a sequel so it can be as crazy as this. Great end to a great season. The first 5 minutes or so is one of the craziest sequences ever. Everyone should watch it, context or not. It's like a big sign saying "this is fucking anime!" plastered on that little series of events.

I think I liked this season more than the first one. It was easier to discern just what was going on in the story, or at least that's the way I saw it. Not as much confused me, and the stuff that did wasn't anywhere near the same level as some of the weirder stuff in season 1 like Tori and Horizon's little contradiction back and forth. It was by no means simple, but it's much more reasonable world-building just in general.

Action was great too. Great animation, great choreography (probably equal to season 1), even a few good strategies. Visually awesome in many ways. The sense of scale was also great.

I liked how each side was sympathetic enough to actually make the audience conflicted in regards to who to root for. Tres Espana, particularly Segundo and Juana, were given some pretty nice development that was absent from the first season for the armada. Prior to that, they were just an evil empire to us.

Now season 3 when?

Uchip

Banned
I am a boring person myself. I'd make Oreki look outgoing.

Most people are boring anyways.

Realistic characters in a realistic setting isn't my idea of endearing, sorry
I can see the appeal when its a medium full to the brim with awful stock characters, though.

Branduil

Haha, I quite liked that. I thought it was funny the first time I saw it and she does it again. Along with what I mentioned it my review, it maybe wasn't really great quality or anything but it did have a lot of those nice little touches, yeah.

It really has nice editing from shot to shot. Kaburaki put a lot of thought into his storyboards and how each shot connects to the next. It helps keep the episode easy to follow even with the large amount of time being covered.

BluWacky

So, you're saying she's a teenager?

That's not what I mean. What I mean is that I think Haru is a character who acts consistently given what we know about his personality from this first episode, but I didn't feel Shizuku was. The main thing that bothered me was her reaction once Haru came to school; she'd basically just tried to ignore him, which seemed a bit odd to me.

Branduil

That's not what I mean. What I mean is that I think Haru is a character who acts consistently given what we know about his personality from this first episode, but I didn't feel Shizuku was. The main thing that bothered me was her reaction once Haru came to school; she'd basically just tried to ignore him, which seemed a bit odd to me.

You've never acted differently with a friend when you're alone than when you're at school among all your peers?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I've talked to pizzaroll on skype. He's definitely boring compared to me!

My e-personality and rl one are pretty similar. I'm more formal depending on the situation though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom