• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

OceanBlue

Seriously, Yamakan wouldn't have made an OP this bad. ;_;

Bring back Yamakan!

KyoAni's departure from dancing OPs/EDs was a rite of passage signalling KyoAni's entrance into adulthood. You don't just go back! Even if the show is about chuunibyou!

First From the New World and now this. These delaycasts seem like a bad idea.

I wonder why they do them. Is it for contracting issues with whatever station that they're in business with? Do they have to wait so they don't broadcast it before a certain station does?

Jex

I'll be the one to bring the bad news.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaRmIOOKLE0

This is the real OP for the KyoAni Crazy Girl anime. I'm sorry guys. It's really disappointing. In terms of concept and composition, this is one of the worst OPs KyoAni has ever done. Which... seems in line with the vibe for the show itself so far. :/

Stupid, uninspired, lazy, bland. >_<

Well that looks remarkably ugly. The big white spaces are extremely distracting.

I don't quite get the 'seizure' comments though.

Jex

I wonder why they do them. Is it for contracting issues with whatever station that they're in business with? Do they have to wait so they don't broadcast it before a certain station does?
It's got to be contractual, CR understand the importance of having shows at as soon as possible after the Japanese airing to deter fansubbers.

BluWacky

Do you suffer from motion sickness at all? It's a very similar feeling to that for me. Maybe it's a personal failing but I can't take in the whole of the image of the Chuunibyo OP at once - my eyes flick to track the image as it flicks from side to side, and in doing this it makes me feel sick.

I am very prone to motion sickness, though, so I can appreciate that it might not affect other people as much as it does me.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
KyoAni's departure from dancing OPs/EDs was a rite of passage signalling KyoAni's entrance into adulthood. You don't just go back! Even if the show is about chuunibyou!

I know... ;_; I just don't want to accept that.

Well that looks remarkably ugly. The big white spaces are extremely distracting.

The constant quick flickers between shots really were headache inducing.

Maybe it's not so bad on a bigger screen? (am on my phone)

This is the real OP for the KyoAni Crazy Girl anime. I'm sorry guys. It's really disappointing. In terms of concept and composition, this is one of the worst OPs KyoAni has ever done. Which... seems in line with the vibe for the show itself so far. :/

Rather nauseating, this was :/. Will still watch and just skip the op.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
First From the New World and now this. These delaycasts seem like a bad idea.

I can only guess that the producers want more money than CR is willing to payy for an actual simulcast, so this is some sort of compromise. It's not ideal, but better than nothing, I think we can all agree.

It's a brilliant ruse by KyoAni to get viewers to cover up one of their eyes during the OP in order to simulate the protagonist's eyesight.

It sounds like that is seriously Ishihara's plan - it's supposed to be difficult to watch with both eyes, so you only watch it with one eye. Not his greatest idea. Oh well!

duckroll

Crazy Girl Anime - Episode 1

I made it through 14 minutes of the episode. Can't stand a minute more of this. The best thing I can say about the actual show is that it's not as bad as the OP. But the premise is kinda stupid, I don't find any of the jokes funny, and I don't like the direction of the show at all. It is clearly not for me, so I'm bailing out now. Dropped.

Jex

I can only guess that the producers want more money than CR is willing to payy for an actual simulcast, so this is some sort of compromise. It's not ideal, but better than nothing, I think we can all agree.

At least the money's going to the right place.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

How the mighty have fallen. :(

to be fair, it wasn't like Hyouka's OP was particularly inspired, but at least it wasn't pumped full of uncharacteristic fanservice and irritating cuts.

Sadly, this show really seems to be following the footsteps of Haruhi, not surprising due to the director, but disappointing since Haruhi was a terrible show.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

I made it through 14 minutes of the episode. Can't stand a minute more of this. The best thing I can say about the actual show is that it's not as bad as the OP. But the premise is kinda stupid, I don't find any of the jokes funny, and I don't like the direction of the show at all. It is clearly not for me, so I'm bailing out now. Dropped.

I'll still be watching the first episode to determine my own thoughts on the show, but of what you watched, how similar or dissimilar would you say it is compared to Haruhi?

Jarmel

Banned
I normally don't repeat posts but since this was more of a PSA and mine got buried, Madoka tickets on Sunday for NYC are up for sale now.

DiGiKerot

I guess Magi is on Crunchy in the US and AoD in the UK.

-edit- And that teaches me not to read the thread properly.

So, err, that Chu2 OP. Certainly want to remind us that they made Haruhi once, don't they?

duckroll

I doubt that's true. It probably has nothing to do with money. Magi is a big Aniplex shounen series like FMA and Blue Exorcist. Guess what, those were delaycasts too. :p

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...to-stream-2009-fullmetal-alchemist-on-april-9

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/pre...t-to-be-simulcast-on-hulu-ann-and-crunchyroll

This is nothing new. From the New World is NOT a delaycast. It is a simulcast with TV Asahi's terrestial broadcast. The CS Asahi broadcast is on satellite only.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Do you suffer from motion sickness at all? It's a very similar feeling to that for me. Maybe it's a personal failing but I can't take in the whole of the image of the Chuunibyo OP at once - my eyes flick to track the image as it flicks from side to side, and in doing this it makes me feel sick.

I am very prone to motion sickness, though, so I can appreciate that it might not affect other people as much as it does me.

That's my issue as well--certain types of motion can induce dizziness and headache for me, the foremost example being rapidly blinking or flickering lights or images. I don't have epilepsy to my knowledge, but it makes me extremely uncomfortable all the same.

duckroll

I'll still be watching the first episode to determine my own thoughts on the show, but of what you watched, how similar or dissimilar would you say it is compared to Haruhi?

It's not really much like Haruhi at all. It's more like some personal story about a guy who was childish as fuck hoping to make a fresh start as a "normal dude" in a new school. But he keeps running into this crazy girl who is still childish as fuck, and she brings out his hidden tendency to be attracted to the same kind of dumb shit (pretending to be a superhero, making stupid poses, shouting stupid catch phrases, etc). They try to play it all up with a lot of physical comedy but none of it works for me. I just think they're stupid and childish, and I'm not interested any of it. Not funny.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Yes, he storyboarded and directed Nichijou's OPs. Its EDs were handled by assistant director Taichi Ishidate.

That was the first thing that came to my mind too.

I really dislike these disorienting OPs... I can understand the intentions behind them, but the simple unpleasantness of watching them does far more harm, I imagine. OPs like Nichijou and Baccano also feature fast cuts, but they're linked in a manner that makes them easy to follow, they have the appearance of smooth transitions as opposed to jerkiness.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I doubt that's true. It probably has nothing to do with money. Magi is a big Aniplex shounen series like FMA and Blue Exorcist. Guess what, those were delaycasts too. :p

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...to-stream-2009-fullmetal-alchemist-on-april-9

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/pre...t-to-be-simulcast-on-hulu-ann-and-crunchyroll

This is nothing new. From the New World is NOT a delaycast. It is a simulcast with TV Asahi's terrestial broadcast. The CS Asahi broadcast is on satellite only.

Thanks for the info! I wonder if it's Aniplex's or CR's decision to delaycast it then?

It's not really much like Haruhi at all. It's more like some personal story about a guy who was childish as fuck hoping to make a fresh start as a "normal dude" in a new school. But he keeps running into this crazy girl who is still childish as fuck, and she brings out his hidden tendency to be attracted to the same kind of dumb shit (pretending to be a superhero, making stupid poses, shouting stupid catch phrases, etc). They try to play it all up with a lot of physical comedy but none of it works for me. I just think they're stupid and childish, and I'm not interested any of it. Not funny.

I suspect the target audience for this show is people who indulged in these kind of dumb fantasies as a teenager and have some nostalgic fondness for that time.

In contrast, I wonder what's up with the OP and ED for Chuunibyou.
I mean, the ED isn't quite as hideous as the OP, but it's definitely unremarkable.

We all have our bad days.

duckroll

I suspect the target audience for this show is people who indulged in these kind of dumb fantasies as a teenager and have some nostalgic fondness for that time.

I look forward to there being an anime one day pandering to my nostalgic fondness for my teenager days where I would spend weekend nights at LAN cafes with friends playing Counterstrike. Could be a massive hit. Or not.

Jarmel

Banned
You really should, it's one of my favorite anime. Brain's Base took some very unconventional decisions in making it, and I think it really payed off and elevated it above the source material.

Baccano was actually a show that I didn't like initially but the more I watched it, the more I fell in love with it. It's definitely something that could have fallen apart very easily but some tight directing kept it together.

Branduil

I look forward to there being an anime one day pandering to my nostalgic fondness for my teenager days where I would spend weekend nights at LAN cafes with friends playing Counterstrike. Could be a massive hit. Or not.

Reki Kawahara presents

GUN ART WORLD

fertygo

Buzzkill :(
Maybe I will find it funny tho, its anything like Okabe and Kurisu from Steins; Gate antics? (If you know anything about it)

Shame to know its guilty pleasure at best.

duckroll

Reki Kawahara presents

GUN ART WORLD

It needs to be accurate to the era too. Which means the game actually has a dozen or so maps, but yet everyone still only plays the same 3 ones. After the first 12 episodes, they don't even bother anymore and it's just de_dust all the way! Lol.

Jex

I'm getting some negative vibes from this review. I guess I really shouldn't be surprised - there's only a few KyoAni works I actually enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom