• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

/XX/

find "search this thread"
type name of series you want to see discussion about
hit search
yay!
Not everyone says the name of the series when it always talks about it, and having a nicely constructed chronological set of events from a show (like in a thread would be seen) is definitely good to have.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Rinne no Lagrange S2 10:

GhK8Tl.jpg

Yes, Muginami is snuggling her mech. No, it was not played for laughs.

In spite of some really terrible CG, the mech battle between
Dizelmine, Space Tiger, and Madoka
was probably the high point of the episode. Albeit for a brief time, we were treated to a display of honest-to-goodness mecha fisticuffs with machines delivering roundhouse kicks and getting smashed in the back by interlocked fists DBZ-style. It's unfortunate, however, that this was also a consequence of
Dizelmine going comically batshit insane
, ruining pretty much any chance that this show had of having any sort of elegant ending.

About the aforementioned CG:

*vomits*

Another fairly jarring use of CG occurred during a scene in which the shockwave from an explosion kicks up an enormous cloud of dust that engulfs Kamogawa and blows in the windows of buildings. Look at the windows in this scene:

One would expect that CG wall of smoke and dust to come billowing into the hallway at the moment that the windows smash. I mean, given the nature of what is occurring, physics would kind of dictate that this has to be what happens. Instead, though, the 2D plane of dust just keeps looping on its reel outside of the broken windows as if the direction of the shockwave runs parallel rather than perpendicular to that face of the building. It's a brief scene, but it looks really awful in motion and is just another example of the ugly little cost-cutting shortcuts that have plagued Lagrange S2.

cajunator

Banned
Not everyone says the name of the series when it always talks about it, and having a nicely constructed chronological set of events from a show (like in a thread would be seen) is definitely good to have.

True, but I was just tlaking about how its done in this thread. It works decently as long as people actually mention the name of the show. To be honest I find it kind of annoying when they use some play on the title or whatever that doesnt make it immediately obvious what they are watching. I have been guilty of doing it too because its kind of fun but I can see how trying to refer to those posts would be difficult.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
We can talk about older shows we've just been watching here too right? I've been in catch up mode.
Yeah, these seasonal threads are really just a catch all for anime talk. It is kind of nuts, though, that we plow through them so fast.

/XX/

True, but I was just tlaking about how its done in this thread. It works decently as long as people actually mention the name of the show. To be honest I find it kind of annoying when they use some play on the title or whatever that doesnt make it immediately obvious what they are watching. I have been guilty of doing it too because its kind of fun but I can see how trying to refer to those posts would be difficult.
Exactly! Trying to find previous impressions from someone like Señor Mr. Reg-chan-sama is a nightmare!

Stoof

Just finished Fate/Zero and man was that a fantastic show. My thoughts aren't coherent enough right now to write a decent review, so I'll just say 10/10, will watch again. (Too bad the box sets are so expensive... T_T)

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Oh god another crappy sea...

Er actually this season is pretty good, From the New World, Psycho-Pass (yay Gen!), Robotics;Notes (Will at least try 10 episode, thanks to Steins;Gate), JoJo's Bizzare Adventure, Chuunibyou, Gintama....

Err... actually, this is one amazing season, should be fun to watch and look forward to weekly releases. I should seriously consider coming back.

I loves the feeling of looking forward for a show, and ended up to be another penguin drum.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Just finished Fate/Zero and man was that a fantastic show. My thoughts aren't coherent enough right now to write a decent review, so I'll just say 10/10, will watch again. (Too bad the box sets are so expensive... T_T)

Nice! Glad you liked it.

cjkeats

Yes this is the general anime thread. Well most of the time anyway.

Awesome, I already had half a post written up then I got scared to post. lol

Yeah, these seasonal threads are really just a catch all for anime talk. It is kind of nuts, though, how fast we plow through them/

I've been noticing that too, Anime seems to go faster than regular TV. I usually watch 3 or 4 regular TV seasons a year, but can go through 3-4 different Anime in a week. More interesting I guess.

Chocolate 10

Oh those delicious tears. Also, where's the blood after punching a mirror?

But, blah. This show is running deep into drama and I don't really care too much about it. Even the election is full of drama so whatever.

At least, the show is still showing how ridiculous the school and its system is.

cajunator

Banned
We can talk about older shows we've just been watching here too right? I've been in catch up mode.

Sure. no problem with that!

It is definitely great. Well worth the purchase. The price is definitely a little steep though.

Chocolate 10

But, blah. This show is running deep into drama and I don't really care too much about it. Even the election is full of drama so whatever.

At least, the show is still showing how ridiculous the school and its system is.
It just occurred to me. Does this show have any relevance to The Chocolate War?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Pretty easily the best show so far this year. I've found it really hard to enjoy anything else this year just because it's not Fate/Zero.

cjkeats

I've been continuing on my journey of catching up with stuff I've missed over the years. During the last few weeks I've watched:

Haruhi Suzumiya
The whole thing, both seasons and the movie. Loved it. I watched it in chronological order, as I felt it would be too confusing in the broadcast order. Endless Eight was a drag, but the movie awesome. The movie was a perfect example of what you do when making a movie of a franchise if you ask me. It continued on with the series, and ends with it all back to normal like it never even happened so if the series wants to it can go on. I'd be down for more Haruhi any day.

Next is where I get into this whole "harem love triangle" kick:

Myself ; Yourself
I love a good twist. This was good for delivering all kinds of "wait, what?" character developments.
Asami
was probably the most out of no where thing for me.

School Days
Oh boy. I kept seeing this pop up on everywhere, but still mananged to go in spoiler free and I'm so glad I did. What a roller coaster. I don't even want to dwell on it, people who watched it know the brand of crazy it is.

Rumbling Hearts
Meh. Nothing to write home about. Not even sure how I ended up watching it, but I was left indifferent.

With the exception of "Don't fuck your sister", AKA NakaImo, which I caught up with by episode 10, this season will be my first time watching an Anime weekly. I'm planning on watching "Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!", and I'm not really sure what else.

While I wait I'm going to tackle Clannad, Hyouka and maybe one of the Fate/ series. Is it a problem to start with Fate/Zero? I know it's a prequel, but sometimes you need to see the rest first to get it.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
5 days late T_T

Well... they're probably under contract and they also want to maintain subscriptions. It makes sense. They do this all the time.

I've been continuing on my journey of catching up with stuff I've missed over the years. During the last few weeks I've watched:

Haruhi Suzumiya
The whole thing, both seasons and the movie. Loved it. I watched it in chronological order, as I felt it would be too confusing in the broadcast order. Endless Eight was a drag, but the movie awesome. The movie was a perfect example of what you do when making a movie of a franchise if you ask me. It continued on with the series, and ends with it all back to normal like it never even happened so if the series wants to it can go on. I'd be down for more Haruhi any day.

Myself ; Yourself
I love a good twist. This was good for delivering all kinds of "wait, what?" character developments.
Asami

School Days
Oh boy. I kept seeing this pop up on everywhere, but still mananged to go in spoiler free and I'm so glad I did. What a roller coaster. I don't even want to dwell on it, people who watched it know the brand of crazy it is.

Rumbling Hearts
Meh. Nothing to write home about. Not even sure how I ended up watching it, but I was left indifferent.

With the exception of "Don't fuck your sister", AKA NakaImo, which I caught up with by episode 10, this season will be my first time watching an Anime weekly. I'm planning on watching "Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!", and I'm not really sure what else.

While I wait I'm going to tackle Clannad, Hyouka and maybe one of the Fate/ series. Is it a problem to start with Fate/Zero? I know it's a prequel, but sometimes you need to see the rest first to get it.

I can see where your tastes lie. Hmm.... I recommend you start with Zero. It's fine if you don't see Stay Night. Trust me.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Chocolate 10

The show was about drama since day one though. lol

It just occurred to me. Does this show have any relevance to The Chocolate War?
You know, reading the synopsis, if the anime/VN wasn't so idiotic, it could actually be making a comment about the role of cliques in high school... so maybe there was some inspiration there, however remote. lol
Certainly chocolate is used as a political tool in the animu. lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Haruhi Suzumiya

Myself ; Yourself
Asami

School Days

Rumbling Hearts

I'm glad my title for the anti-sister-fucking show is catching on. lol

And you know, between School Days and Myself; Yourself, I'm not sure which is crazier. I suppose School Days has the ending, but M;Y is fucked up in its own right. :p

Also, you should have skipped most of Endless Eight if you were just watching it on disc!

DiGiKerot

5 days late T_T

It's in line with the none-Satellite broadcasts in Japan, though, isn't it?

I don't think it's unreasonable to hold off these things a few days to be inline with when most of Japan gets it (as long as it's not weeks like iM@S was on Crunchy for the US), but I guess it does mean they'll probably lose half their audience to fansubs.

School Days
And people say there is no god. :')

I haven't seen Fate/Stay Night, but general opinion around here seems to be that watching Fate/Zero and never touching another piece of the Fate universe is the best way to go about things.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

I haven't seen Fate/Stay Night, but general opinion around here seems to be that watching Fate/Zero and never touching another piece of the Fate universe is the best way to go about things.
But then you don't get Saber in a maid outfit or whatever.

cajunator

Banned

He seems to have taken School Days rather well.
Would have loved to see a meltdown reaction. But oh well.

I would definitely recommend sticking to Fate Zero. You dont really need to know much else about the FATE universe to enjoy it. I did enjoy Fate Stay night but it is definitely a MASSIVE step downward from Fate Zero. If you hadnt watched it beforehand, dont bother watching it now. youll just be disappointed.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Haruhi Suzumiya
The whole thing, both seasons and the movie. Loved it. I watched it in chronological order, as I felt it would be too confusing in the broadcast order.
Poor choice.
School Days
Great choice.

/XX/

Man, the list of important names for this episode animation of From the New World is impressive! It reminds me of the 'Imaishi effect'; having good connections among other animators seems to be the one of the most important thing in that industry, to obtain results (more cheaply, perhaps).

Pooya

maybe one of the Fate/ series. Is it a problem to start with Fate/Zero? I know it's a prequel, but sometimes you need to see the rest first to get it.

start with Fate/Zero and then stop right there, nothing else exists. if you like to know more about it go read Fate/Zero light novels. that's it. nothing else exists, remember that! talking from experience here.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh, speaking of staff-whoring - I guess I should ask since I do this every season. Are there any shows this season that are:

1) directed by SatoJun
2) written by Yoshida
3) starring Kobayashi (where is Ginga? Dead? :()

cajunator

Banned
start with Fate/Zero and then stop right there, nothing else exists. if you like to know more about it go read Fate/Zero light novels. that's it. nothing else exists, remember that! talking from experience here.

Oh no. More exists. More definitely exists >_>
Fate stay Night is ok to watch if youl ike Saber or Ilya because both are very cute in it. Still not worth it though because you have to witness Shirou.

DiGiKerot

The original work (the Fate/Stay Night visual novel) is fine as long as you have a tolerance for that kind of thing, it's actually pretty great if you can stick at it and have the required mindset. The problem is that the story arcs, each of which can take a good 15-20 hours to read, get successively better. Whilst I'm kind of partial to Unlimited Blade Works, most of the awesome stuff does happen in Heavens Feel.

Though Fate/Zero does kind of spoil some of Heavens Feels twists straight out of the gate.

The Fate/Stay Night anime does to some degree as well, though they wait until mid-season for that. Whilst I don't hate the show as much as others (I think the OST is pretty good!), it's certainly completely lacking the gravitas and depth of Fate/Zero, and it's also lacking it's production quality, and it's good adaptation sense. It's not even a particularly great version of Fate/Stay Night, let alone particularly great anime on it's own.

Unlimited Blade Works is pretty much just a completely incoherent highlight reel of the story path from the game, which does at least have some pretty fight animation if naught else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom