• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I would say more people are aware of F/Z outside of anime cliques like this thread.

I'm only going by its seeemingly-explosive popularity on MAL. The site is never a good barometer for judging a show's quality, but popularity may be another matter. I really have no concrete evidence arguing for or against any show.

Time to get some good old fashioned voter suppression in place.

Gentlemen, start your alts.

Jex

Frankly, those kind of threads aren't going to gain traction even outside the 'Community' space of this forum, and it is depressing seeing the state of some topics because of that... like the one for tsu ri ta ma. On the other hand, all those good impressions lost on the 'frenziness' of posts generated in here is sad as well. Not entirely sure what is better...

Some of those threads do catch on, when the show in question managed to tap into the right audience of 'retired' anime fans that exist all across NeoGAF - see the Madoka thread.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I laughed out loud at work when it clicked what you were talking about.
Hehehe. You know, it's a name that could apply to so many animes... including M;Y!

I think Myself; Yourself lays it's crazy on kinda thick, while School Days is just a train wreck in slow motion.
God, I wish Cross Days was animated. Then that would be quite literal. lol

I watched Haruhi on Crunchyroll, and I consider that arc to be abusive towards my bandwidth cap. Some where in that arc I lost track what episode I was on, so I think I missed one or two anyways, and I didn't care enough to make sure.
Yeah, there's absolutely no reason to watch all of Endless Eight on demand unless you're doing it for academic reasons or you are pacing your watching of the show like you would if it were airing live (and even then, that doesn't actually replicate the original experience). Like a sporting event, it's something that isn't worth watching once you know the result.

fertygo

I think her personality (what of it we get to know in Zero that is) and her behavior changes quite a bit. that's my impression at least.
Urobuchi write he basing on her SN figure, how that could happen.

Her brickhead is just more contrast with dumbass master (UBW Saber is the best)

Jex

It's why I've always been against voting for "...of the Year" threads as soon as November.

Well those things are always going to be plagued by recency bias whatever you do. Heck, it's just a popularity content anyway, so I don't really care!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well those things are always going to be plagued by recency bias whatever you do. Heck, it's just a popularity content anyway, so I don't really care!
Can I start running attack ads?

"Sword Art Online recently said women have a natural defence against 'legitimate rape'. Is this the anime that you want to vote for?"

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Only six out of ten spots for my AotY are locked. If Fall, in all its infinite hype, can't give me four more that I believe with total conviction are worthy...uhh, well, it's not like it will have been a bad year or anything.

Is first time really an accident and not a coincidence?

"co".

Jex

Can I start running attack ads?

"Sword Art Online recently said women have a natural defence against 'legitimate rape'. Is this the anime that you want to vote for?"

No, it's a little too early for that. However, if we DID have a "best anime of the year thread", which I imagine we will, then I think we should have little "For this show" and "against this show" pieces to go with every anime.

The only problem is - everyone would fight over who gets to write the "against this show" for SAO and E7: AO!

Wait. What's that? I'm not familiar with this....

It means making it harder for certain people to vote because they don't vote the way you want. Like certain states passing voter ID laws this year to make it harder for poor people to vote in the upcoming election.
/PoliGAF

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Only six out of ten spots for my AotY are locked. If Fall, in all its infinite hype, can't give me four more that I believe with total conviction are worthy...uhh, well, it's not like it will have been a bad year or anything.

"co".

What are the six?

Jex

I see MadPierrot has spent a good part of the day watching Rinne S2. My only question is: why?

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I hate SAO, I hate the fact that it's dumb otaku wish fulfilment nonsense that barely holds itself together to form anything of a plot. I hate the fact that it feels like the show was designed by ticking boxes, rather than trying to tell a real story.

More than anything I hate the fact that it's incredibly popular, that so many people are so devoid of taste they mistake pyrite for gold. That anyone would call it "the smartest anime" and not burst out laughing immediately afterwards. That anime ranking lists would contain it, high up with real shows that could rival the best of live action. That newcomers would be told to step into it's world of mediocrity and have their standards forever poisoned by the sweet poison of a power fantasy.

SAO is a bad show, and you should probably feel bad if you think otherwise.

I like you.

Jarmel

Banned
No, it's a little too early for that. However, if we DID have a "best anime of the year thread", which I imagine we will, then I think we should have little "For this show" and "against this show" pieces to go with every anime.

The only problem is - everyone would fight over who gets to write the "against this show" for SAO and E7: AO!

I call the one against AO.

Pooya

Urobuchi write he basing on her SN figure, how that could happen.

Her brickhead is just more contrast with dumbass master (UBW Saber is the best)

well, SN has a very different mood to it than Zero, because of immature, stupid characters. still I feel it's a bit inconsistent between the two. Shirou, Saber relationship is really... uh. I agree, UBW has a better Saber.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
What are the six?

It's a secret to everyone.

I see MadPierrot has spent a good part of the day watching Rinne S2. My only question is: why?

Misguided loyalty to something long dead.

also a nasty bug so good anime is wasted on me in my half-delirious state anyway. I'm mopping up Bimbougami after I'm done with this. Pray for my safety.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Deconstructing the Kotaku SAO Review

I certainly agree that we haven't been shown much about the roles people have to take in the game mostly because we don't see much from anyone outside of front line. For example, we're not told why someone would stay in the first town when apparently there's no restriction once a floor is cleared to move on up. If towns are safe it wouldn't matter what level you are. If the Army really is a bunch of dick as shown why would you just go up to level 2? Obviously something is keeping them there but we're not told what. Talking of the first town, the children being in an "orphanage" is about the closest the show has gotten to showing us what happens to those who can't fight.

And as for the relationships. If the show didn't tell us two years had past I wouldn't be surprised if people assumed only weeks had past with the way some characters interact.

I'm surprised he actually liked the show in the end because his expectation of what it should be delivering are astronomically higher than what it actually does.

kayos90

It's a secret to everyone.

Misguided loyalty to something long dead.

also a nasty bug so good anime is wasted on me in my half-delirious state anyway. I'm mopping up Bimbougami after I'm done with this. Pray for my safety.

I'm not everyone you pierrot.

Dresden

I hate SAO, I hate the fact that it's dumb otaku wish fulfilment nonsense that barely holds itself together to form anything of a plot. I hate the fact that it feels like the show was designed by ticking boxes, rather than trying to tell a real story.

More than anything I hate the fact that it's incredibly popular, that so many people are so devoid of taste they mistake pyrite for gold. That anyone would call it "the smartest anime" and not burst out laughing immediately afterwards. That anime ranking lists would contain it, high up with real shows that could rival the best of live action. That newcomers would be told to step into it's world of mediocrity and have their standards forever poisoned by the sweet poison of a power fantasy.

SAO is a bad show, and you should probably feel bad if you think otherwise.

lol

You guys get huffy over the silliest things. It's like you weren't there when the generic tasteless shit for anything gets popular.

kayos90

I call dibs on SAO

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
School Days
Oh boy. I kept seeing this pop up on everywhere, but still mananged to go in spoiler free and I'm so glad I did. What a roller coaster. I don't even want to dwell on it, people who watched it know the brand of crazy it is.

Yep! Now if only Cross Days got some attention...

Chocolate 12

EPnzU.jpg

You climb over a barbed wired fence and all you get is a cut on your face?

Stuff happens, the election is somewhat resolved or really glossed over, who cares. After all the drama bombs of the last episode, I really stopped caring about anyone in this show anymore.

Well besides all the random new people, the hero keeps bumping into.

The show started off strong or at the very least decent. I enjoyed the whole election aspect and the sheer ridiculousness of the school. but when the drama started invading everything turned into trash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom