• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soma

I heard it's basically all battles, though. Are they more interesting than in Gurren Lagann? I heard there is no real "hero" and "enemy" so that sounds cool, at least.

It's actually a lot lighter on the action than something like Gurren Lagann. Lots of dialogue, inner monologues, and story/character developments. I recently marathoned the show with a friend who watched it for the first time and he loved it despite it being fairly depressing at times.

Magi 1

Other then the ED song being bad and the fact they condensed like 7 chapters of plot into one episode I thought it was a great/promising start. Love the OP

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
It's actually a lot lighter on the action than something like Gurren Lagann. Lots of dialogue, inner monologues, and story/character developments. I recently marathoned the show with a friend who watched it for the first time and he loved it despite it being fairly depressing at times.

Sucks to be Kariya bro.

BluWacky

Brief impressions of things I didn't comment on before:

JoJo

This was ace - very silly but lots of fun. Loved the sound effects.

Magi

I enjoyed this a lot - sorry, manga lovers! This is my SAO, turn-off-your-brain-and-enjoy-the-ride kind of thing - an action adventure romp with great artwork and animation.

K

Oh god, this should be so much better than it is. So much money thrown at it, so little of interest to me actually produced. An irritating main character surrounded by more boring looking and sounding characters, and all that flash to disguise the emptiness of the script. I wanted to like this :(

The colour is much more tolerable when watched on a TV, incidentally, than on a computer screen. It still makes my eyes water, but it's not as awful.

Code Breaker

I shouldn't have liked this so much, I was supposed to have worked superpower shounen like this out of my system in about 2005 or so. I guess I'll never learn. A good female lead really helps here. What was up with the dog animation, though?

I really dislike the character designs, though - I didn't like them in Samurai Deeper Kyo, either. Boy, that dates me...

Maedhros

Code:Breaker

It seems that this is the fujoshi/DTL show of the season with K... at least it is cool. Definitely more watchable than Arcana Famiglia. I'll keep an eye on it, maybe some cool shit can happen.

EDIT: So Brazil... you know OTP's will never happen in One Piece, right? There will be no romance on it, except for their romance for adventure.

Code Breaker

I shouldn't have liked this so much, I was supposed to have worked superpower shounen like this out of my system in about 2005 or so. I guess I'll never learn. A good female lead really helps here. What was up with the dog animation, though?

I really dislike the character designs, though - I didn't like them in Samurai Deeper Kyo, either. Boy, that dates me...

How is she a good female lead?
She was kind of overpowered and then got herself caught, beat up, and needing to be saved by Ogami Rei. When push came to shove she failed to perform. And worst, isnt she like dead?

Ultimadrago

One Piece - Water 7 + Enies Lobby Arcs (220-325)
Also known as My Nakama Can't Possibly Be This Awesome

Man Brozil, you're single-handedly taking me back to my high school days like a time machine.

Opening 7 is great aswel.

1333829505765lal5.gif

BluWacky

How is she a good female lead?
She was kind of overpowered and then got herself caught, beat up, and needing to be saved by Ogami Rei. When push came to shove she failed to perform. And worst, isnt she like dead?

Of course she's not dead, she's the second most heavily featured character in the OP!

I don't see how she's overpowered just by being good at judo and popular for being pretty. It makes a change from the pointless, ordinary-clutz girls that litter so many shounen series.

She got herself caught, beat up and needing to be saved - yes - but she took a stand against the G-Falcons and held her own for most of the fight, only getting her ass kicked because she wanted to help the dog. While the gender politics of shounen dictate that she must get saved by the male lead, she's far more interesting than most other characters of her type.

Reknoc

Code Breaker

Man that dog.

Glad you liked it. It really is the pinnacle of shounen in many ways.

As for whether things get better or not, that's obviously going to be based on you. As far as the manga is concerned, there's a later arc that is incredibly well-regarded and some say is ahead of Water 7. The anime on the other hand, kind of messes it up in the pacing department. You might not notice if you don't read the manga though.

The next arc is very hit or miss, but the ones that say it's hit say it's REALLY hit. Similar to Skypiea in that aspect.

Edit: I'm talking next canon arc. The next one in the anime is filler which is pretty eh. It has its moments I guess.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

Water 7 - which I eventually learned to describe as
the largest introductory arc ever
- was basically an emotional rollercoaster. Right at the beginning you get
Aokiji leaving Robin and Luffy for dead,
and that surely sets the tone for the events to come. When the crew reached the water metropolis, I was a bit weirded out by how chill those first episodes were... But then
Usopp Vs. Luffy
happened. The limits of nakamaship were tested, and I said "goddamn" out loud.

------
During the
sea train chase mini-arc,
Oda made us remember a couple of things:
1 -
Sanji is a badass.
2 -
Luffy and Zoro are gods. WHAT THE FUCK DID THEY DO TO THE AQUA LAGUNA, man.

... But Enies Lobby was oh so much better.

Man, dat opening. DAT OPENING.

The fact that they
managed to invade the island was awesome enough, but when all six of them stood on the rooftop facing the tower with CP9, Robin and Franky... I never thought I could manage that big of a smile. And then comes freaking Sogeking and burns the goddamn flag downaadisudanirjefwdisjpofiwefomdfs

- All of the fights were amazing. All of them.
Yes, even Franky x Fukuro. Hell, I think Zoro x Kaku was the worst of the bunch, and it was fantastic. There were so many mindblowing moments all around. Luffy's first Gear Second against Blueno. Chopper's legitimately scary transformation. Nami's fight. Sanji's molten lava legs. The sakuga in Luffy x Lucci. Then Gear Third... And finally Lucci going down Crocodile style³. Wooooooow. Hell, even when no one was fighting there were amazing moments, like Usopp sniping everyone on the bridge.
-
Franky (I'm spoiling his name because I found out not everyone knows who joins the crew in this arc, and that's kind of mindblowing)
was awesome.
What a bro, man. If I wasn't such a huge a Luffy x Robin shipper I'd totally jump on the old guy x old lady OTP boat.

What a ride, man. The humor, the tension, the epicness - Oda and Toei nailed everything. This show can't possibly get better than this. And don't tell me if it does or does not - I'm in for life anyway.

To this day the fight between
Luffy and Usopp
has been one of the most amazing and emotional scenes I've witnessed in One Piece.

I lost my shit when
Sanji used his new technique "Devil's leg"
. He's my favorite character, so to see him finally get a godlike move made me so damn happy.

I had no idea you were a
LuffyxRobin
shipper. Till the day I die I'll support
SanjixRobin
. That whole
train chase
was great for me in that regard. :D

Sword art online . 14

Finally got the time to watch this episode .. some light shortcuts here and there but it was mostly as expected ..

I'm honnestly glad they skipped the boss and animated the final duel

It was much much better than expected considering all the reaction i read today
nDj1Yl.jpg

Beautifull

Code Breaker

I'm afraid you'll be disappointed if you think Sakurakouji is a good female lead right now.

Articalys

Magi: The labyrinth of magic 1

that face

I've read through the first handful of chapters of the manga, and this seems like a pretty pragmatic adaptation of them to get things moving faster, changing up a ton of character interactions. No idea how it will pan out in the long run but it was fun to watch, and the action in the last third or so of the episode was nice. Will look forward to more.

/XX/

Well, Robotics;Notes and the true end of Steins;Gate (kind of spoiler)
share the same Divergence Ratio
. Maybe the movie is a prologue for Robotics;Notes.
Hmmm...
could it be related to Nae's presence on ROBOTICS;NOTES then? Is she like a 'key link' on this new movie?

Of course she's not dead, she's the second most heavily featured character in the OP!

I don't see how she's overpowered just by being good at judo and popular for being pretty. It makes a change from the pointless, ordinary-clutz girls that litter so many shounen series.

She got herself caught, beat up and needing to be saved - yes - but she took a stand against the G-Falcons and held her own for most of the fight, only getting her ass kicked because she wanted to help the dog. While the gender politics of shounen dictate that she must get saved by the male lead, she's far more interesting than most other characters of her type.

After some anime have had dead characters in the OP like right from ep 2 be dead, I guess I didnt think to imagine that she could be alive, I mean he burnt her pretty well.

Sometimes when I'm watching this show I realize that it's so good I could just die.
you could die , but if you do , you won't be able to see the rest ...so don't die yet !!
What a ride, man. The humor, the tension, the epicness - Oda and Toei nailed everything. This show can't possibly get better than this. And don't tell me if it does or does not - I'm in for life anyway.

Only the devil would spoil one piece

Magi 1

This was a great, highly enjoyable episode. Since I'm not exactly aware of how much it deviates from the source material, I thought the manner in which the characters were introduced and how the setting was developed was excellent and very effective in building intrigue. I love the purely adventurous feel this has.

The story is very interesting so far, and the Arabian setting is fantastic. Aladdin was great throughout, particularly in his comedic moments, such as when he was
eating the watermelon
or whenever he indulged
his perverted side
, which happened quite often. As such, the humor, for the most part, worked well, save for a few moments, but this is hardly a significant criticism. I'm really looking forward to see how the characters develop. Alibaba is likely my favorite character at this point, as he provides an occasionally contrasting personality to Aladdin's usually comedic self, and I thought Yuki Kaji, a VA I don't particularly like much of the time, did a terrific job voicing him.

The few moments of action were suitably exciting and very well animated. As such, my favorite scene was the final one, as
Alibaba and Aladdin, with the assistance of Ugo, rescue Morgiana and the little girl from being eaten by the hyacinth
. This entire sequence was extremely enjoyable, and the large scale was impressively portrayed.

The production values are superb, particularly the animation, highlighted especially during the
final hyacinth sequence
. Sagisu's music was probably the best technical element of the show, as it illuminates the atmosphere necessary to evoke a familiarity with the unique setting. The direction was solid, though slightly lessened by the inconsistent pacing, although developments flowed much more fluidly in the latter half. I really liked the lighthearted tone that was used throughout the introductory episode, since, I'm sure, that will dissipate a bit as the story develops. As for the character designs, they were decent, but largely unremarkable.

The OP is really good, particularly the accompanying visuals. However, the ED song, by comparison, was terrible and rather jarring, since it doesn't mesh with the tone of the show at all.

All in all, Magi is thoroughly impressive and very promising so far, as it combines an engaging narrative with an excellent setting and likable characters, thus creating a rather satisfying mixture. The preview looks quite interesting, as I assume it begins the first
dungeon
arc, and hopefully brings
Morgiana into the group

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Magi] - 1

- The storytelling felt a little bit disjointed.

- Some of the humour wasn't really to my liking.

- Alibaba came to a dramatic realisation about himself by the end of the episode, but I didn't feel like there was any build up to this important moment. Perhaps it was paced better in the manga because here is felt unearned.

- Why didn't they just overpower everyone from the start?

- Why did no-one try to rob Aladdin when they saw what he had?

- The ED track is just awful.

- Ricebowls.
Soooo I was right? hu hu hu

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sukitte Ii Na Yo 1

QpBmyl.jpg

I find it funny how love at first sight is always depicted the same way in anime. Gotta love that "shocked" expression.

fAcPTl.jpg

Also, is this a drawn desk or a CG desk? I can't tell. Like, it seems to have a real reflection on the surface... but you can't do that with 2d art, right?

So anyway, after completing the Shoujo trifecta, I'm not sure where I stand. Tonari has the pedigree, Sukitte is basically directed like an indie art film, and Kamisama seems to have a relationship dynamic that seems to differ from the norm, so they each have their own appeal.

As for Sukitte itself, beyond how it looks, the story seems to be playing itself like a more standard version of KnT... so I don't know how much I can stand the standard boy saves girl junk that plagues the genre. I mean, at least Sawako was allowed to solve her own problems
without having to call her white knight to rescue her in the very first episode anyway.

I guess I'll keep watching to see where this goes.

Sukitte Iinayo or Sukinayo 01

I'll do my best to not compare this show with any of the other two shoujos this season.

So, this show is basic shoujo 101. Unpopular girl suddenly meets super popular guy, he falls for her and thus starts this show and stuff.

It feels slow. Well at the first half of the episode. But, it does pick things up, the characters aren't bad. They establish at least the girl's motive and why she hates her classmates. I like the comedic moments of the show, it works well. Things work, even though it's pretty plain, it still seems decent enough to keep watching.

wonzo

Banned
I'm glad that Ixion Saga DT seemed to turn out pretty well. :bow brains base :bow

Little Busters - What's GAF's opinion of this? Looks incredibly generic and boring, with annoying characters all over the place.
Little Busters! 1

lb1.jpg
lb1a.jpg
lb1b.jpg
lb1c.jpg
lb1d.jpg
lb1e.jpg

I'm glad that they showed us just how stupid the main characters are in the first few minutes with this little montage, it certainly helps set my expectations and reminds me I'm watching a Key adaptation where everyone is incredibly mentally deficient and that this show is certainly no exception. Welcome to Little Busters!

lb1f.jpg

The character designs leave much to be desired (as the OP shall demonstrate), the humor feels like it's trying way to hard to be funny and ultimately falls flat and the dead eyes are forever watching. The real carnival of stupid hasn't started just yet but when it does... oh boy. Let me just say that this has potential to be the most hilarious Keywreck yet if the plot synopsis on Wikipedia is anything to go by!

lb1i.jpg

wouldn't be a key anime if the protagonists didn't have a tragic past

lb1j.jpg

yet another shining example of how unfunny this is

lb1k.jpg

it's even got an incredibly lazy PV featuring sprites from the games. clearly pandering to the indie dweeb demographic

All in all, this has fairly dull animewatch and I'll have to give this 2 out of 5 toei dead eyes

littlebusterstoei.png
littlebusterstoei.png
littlebusterstoeibw.png
littlebusterstoeibw.png
littlebusterstoeibw.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom