• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sword Art Online 09:

AEBG6l.jpg

huh?

Common sense prevails as
Kirito and Asuna get the fuck out of the boss room
. And yet,
several people manage to get killed anyway
. I suppose the moral to this is that even if you're not making bad decisions, other people will inadvertently drag you into their bad decisions.

Oh look, it's the plot device of
holding one's true power back for vain reasons. Starburst Stream was so plot-motivated that they couldn't even find a good way to justify it in-universe. IT WAS JUST THERE IN MY SKILL LIST ONE DAY. All due credit to Kirito for ultimately doing the right thing and saving his friends, but when he said after the fight that other people knowing about his skill would be inconvenient for him, I can't believe that that held any weight whatsoever against the Sachi flashbacks and whatnot in the midst of the fight, if even for a moment. You just don't gamble with your friends' lives!

jbug617

Banned
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun 2

While Shizuku is suppose to be the star of the show, I really enjoy the antics of Haru. Haru fight for the chicken was funny. They introduced two new characters and can't wait to see what happens when they all interact with each other.

For the record
Haru let it be known that he would "totally do Shizuku". Also girls eat a lot

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun 02

Another really good episode. It was all nicely done, adapted really well the two new characters and everything still looks amazing.

For the record, this episode covered the entire third chapter. Quite impressive that they covered less material but it still feels just as equally paced as the first episode.

Scratch

so I've never gotten into the shoujo genre before, but I figure that hopping on now couldn't hurt.
right?

but out of curiosity, what makes shoujo appealing for dudes?

What'd be the difference.

(the concept with female aladdin does look like a somewhat different story)
With limited knowledge of the story (not seen ep 1) A female version of Aladdon would, to me, become instsntly unrelatable, uncool, and possibly be like most other female characters in anime and most likely approach overpowered damsel in distress status stealing attention from Alibaba, which is no good, really just the same issue as genderbending main male protagonists

/XX/

Girls und Panzer - 1

http://www.abload.de/img/13497154406842ddum.gif

holy fuck!

- dat first person tank action scene
- many lovely little animations
- good soundtrack
- dead eyes and zombie walk moe
- cute girls eating sweet things
- power of friendship
- and the holy fucking very last scene

The show delivers on all fronts.
Yeah! The rightful return of enjoying a series along /ak/!

A shame I don't play World of Tanks, though... derails, man!

Jex

The Madhouse/Marvel collaboration isn't over: a direct-to-DVD film Iron Man: Rise of Technovore, directed by Hiroshi Hamasaki (Texhnolyze, Shigurui), is due out next year.

I feel...conflicted about this. Hiroshi Hamasaki is a cool director and I really like the atmosphere that he created, but very little of worth has come out of this Marvel/Madhouse collaboration.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Sword Art Online 09:

Common sense prevails as
Kirito and Asuna get the fuck out of the boss room
. And yet,
several people manage to get killed anyway
. I suppose the moral to this is that even if you're not making bad decisions, other people will inadvertently drag you into their bad decisions.

Oh look, it's the plot device of
holding one's true power back for vain reasons. Starburst Stream was so plot-motivated that they couldn't even find a good way to justify it in-universe. IT WAS JUST THERE IN MY SKILL LIST ONE DAY. All due credit to Kirito for ultimately doing the right thing and saving his friends, but when he said after the fight that other people knowing about his skill would be inconvenient for him, I can't believe that that held any weight whatsoever against the Sachi flashbacks and whatnot in the midst of the fight, if even for a moment. You just don't gamble with your friends' lives!

The problem is if people found out about
Dual Skills
people would bug him about it, get jealous, and bad things could end up happening. He wanted to avoid that. Granted it's a stupid reason but it's not some cop-out that you make it out to be.

Stoof

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun 2

I was worried after the first episode that the quality of content would drop off a bit, so I was pleasantly surprised when it continued to deliver. The pacing still felt great and I just hope it doesn't slow down in the coming weeks. The animation is still great, the facial expressions and full face blush work, and I'm really digging the music in this episode. We got new guy and new girl this episode, along with Rooster-kun. I can't wait to see more character interactions with all the new characters because that's one of this anime's strongest points. I also didn't expect
Shizuku to tell Haru she loved him already, but now it looks like we'll get to see her smile more.
All-in-all, another awesome episode.

Jex

[Giant Robo] 5 - 7

extend.gif

Kaei.gif

FitzkaraldtheFABULOUS.gif

MaskDoki.gif

...and the like. See what I mean about the lack of mecha action? Sure is a misleading title.

Orlandu84

I didn't get the chance to post yesterday, but here are my impressions for what they're worth:

1. Why did they cut out the cool boss fight?! Things were just getting interesting when the last episode ended. Such a great opportunity wasted.
2. Why was Kirito the only who noticed about Heathcliff? He may be very observant about attacks, but Kirito is not that super deductive about human actions. More importantly, most people loose focus after being exhausted - as he was from the boss fight.
3. Paralysis = you can't move. Anything. Anywhere. Anyhow.
4. I hate deus ex machina, especially when it makes characters weaker. Instead of moping around and then becoming a ghost after Asuna's death, Kirito could have just as easily become enraged and died in a suicidal attack.
5. If the writing degrades any more, I will not be able to watch this show anymore.

Jex

Ixion Saga 1

This didn't really remind me of Gintama at all. Gintama didn't invent 4th-wall breaking straight men.

That being said, I like this. It's funny Will keep watching.

I'm totally in agreement with you on this, cosmicblizzard. It doesn't seem particularly Gintama-esque to me, even if there were numerous sequences where the straight-man explained how wacky everything was. I don't know if I will continue watching it though when there are so many other things to see.

I will say that it was far more entertaining than it had any right to be, considering the premise: an average male suddenly gets sucked into a fantasy world which leads to them getting caught up in some epic adventure. The 'comedy twist' manages to breathe some life into this stale concept but I don't know how well it will do long-term.

/XX/

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sword Art Online 10:

oh man, I was laughing uncontrollably when
Kirito lost his hand
thinking that
it was gone forever and that he was going to have to play permanently gimped after finally achieving his dual wield skill
. Ah, to think of what could have been.

So much for Kirito
honoring his promise to stick with the Blood Knights, although I'd say fuck it too if one of my guildmates tried to PK me on my very first guild outing. Everything about the psychotic Kuradeel plot was just awful but I've stopped expecting more nuanced drama from the show at this point so whenever something like this happens I just sit back and laugh through it

The problem is if people found out about
Dual Skills
people would bug him about it, get jealous, and bad things could end up happening. He wanted to avoid that. Granted it's a stupid reason but it's not some cop-out that you make it out to be.

Kirito's actions aren't a copout but the way in which he
received his new power
was. He just has his priorities mixed up.

Fortunately, episode ten retroactively made the non-explanation a little more bearable due to
Heathcliff also having a unique skill, meaning that it IS actually game mechanics at work and not a deus ex machina

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Sword Art Online 10:

oh man, I was laughing uncontrollably when
Kirito lost his hand
thinking that
it was gone forever and that he was going to have to play permanently gimped after finally achieving his dual wield skill
. Ah, to think of what could have been.

So much for Kirito
honoring his promise to stick with the Blood Knights, although I'd say fuck it too if one of my guildmates tried to PK me on my very first guild outing. Everything about the psychotic Kuradeel plot was just awful but I've stopped expecting more nuanced drama from the show at this point so whenever something like this happens I just sit back and laugh through it

Kirito's actions aren't a copout but the way in which he
received his new power
was. He just has his priorities mixed up.

Fortunately, episode ten retroactively made the non-explanation a little more bearable due to
Heathcliff also having a unique skill, meaning that it IS actually game mechanics at work and not a deus ex machina

It was more meaningful in the LN. Just saying.

survivor

Banned
My Little Monster 2

Natsume is a good addition to the cast and I already like her a lot especially after the post ED scene.

I'm totally in agreement with you on this, cosmicblizzard. It doesn't seem particularly Gintama-esque to me, even if there were numerous sequences where the straight-man explained how wacky everything was. I don't know if I will continue watching it though when there are so many other things to see.

I will say that it was far more entertaining than it had any right to be, considering the premise: an average male suddenly gets sucked into a fantasy world which leads to them getting caught up in some epic adventure. The 'comedy twist' manages to breathe some life into this stale concept but I don't know how well it will do long-term.

I don't want to stretch the "It's like Gintama!" comparison too far or anything, but I did think the irreverent writing, the trolling twists, the pervasive perverted humor, and the line delivery of the voice actors reminded me of the style of comedy I've seen in Shinji Takamatsu's other shows.

I do agree that I'm not sure how long the show will be able to hold up, especially over 24 episodes (game companies just love throwing money at Brains Base, don't they?), but I'm going to keep watching as long as it's as entertaining as this first episode was.

Probably all gone and buried :(

Well, just looking at the linked ANN profiles, here's what they've been up to this year:

Ai Yokoyama: key animation on Hunter X Hunter and Btooom!
Katanao Akai: lots of animation on Gundam Age
Minami Yoshida: key animation on Hunter X Hunter and Btooom!
Shinya Segawa: animation director on Tsuritama
Mika Yamamoto: key animation on Zetman

duckroll

Are any of those young prominent animators you listed some time ago as working on that series still around in MADHOUSE, or not busy anywhere else?

Ai Yokoyama was the most prominent young Madhouse staff to get a big gig in X-Men. She's apparently still there.. kinda. She did animation for the Btooom! opening, and an episode of HxH.

Kenichi Shima got his first animation direction gig as an assistant AD on one of the X-Men episodes, and he's the animation director for the Persona 4 Arena animation scenes. So he's still there.

Many of the other younger animators who got prominent positions on the show like Katanao Akai, Mika Yamamoto, Tomoyuki Niho, and Shin Wakabayashi aren't Madhouse internal staff, so they've been doing other stuff. Akai and Yamamoto seem very active in Sunrse, while Wakabayashi recent did a storyboard for an episode of Mysterious Girlfriend X. I don't think Niho has been doing much, and I'll be surprised if he gets to do a storyboard again. Lol.

Edit: hosanna covered some of the others, thanks!

Grzi

Magi - 01

I finally got around to watching this and I am very pleased. Yeas they changed it up a bit and rushed the beginning but I don't mind, the really good stuff is yet to come anyway.
The show looks really amazing, I hope they can keep this kind of quality for the more important scenes until the end, the animation was done so well, definitely one of the prettiest (if not THE prettiest) first episodes of the season.
The character designs really shine here, it's like they were made to be animated.

I loved it.

Damaged

Don't post in her much at all but you all put me onto Sakamichi no apollon recently and I loved that (was a big bebop fan so the fact its from the same person helped). Are there any new shows out of that sort of quality? I already have From the new world on my list so anything other than that I guess :)

I should also add I'm not above watching the likes of K On! or Hyouka either.

Don't post in her much at all but you all put me onto Sakamichi no apollon recently and I loved that (was a big bebop fan so the fact its from the same person helped). Are there any new shows out of that sort of quality? I already have From the new world on my list so anything other than that I guess :)

You into shounen action? If so, watch JoJo and Magi.

Jex

Prediction: this line of your post will draw more attention than your request for suggestions.

You're looking just for shows that started this season? Out of what I've seen, besides From the New World I'd most recommend Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun.

Grzi

Watch Tsuritama, it aired in the same season as Apollon (even in the same programming block) and deals with some similar themes (in a different way though) but it turned out to be a much better show.

I'd say Hyouka is better than Apollon too, Fate/Zero as well, but that's like a completely different kind of show. All of those shows are from this year.

Damaged

Aw, fuck it.

Crap, knew I would offend somebody here somehow, what did i do wrong :(

You're looking just for shows that started this season? Out of what I've seen, besides From the New World I'd most recommend Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun.

Just figure it saves people recommending a load of shows I may have seen, dont want people to have to go to too much effort :)

Watch Tsuritama, it aired in the same season as Apollon (even in the same programming block) and deals with some similar themes (in a different way though) but it turned out to be a much better show.

I'd say Hyouka is better than Apollon too, Fate/Zero as well, but that's like a completely different kind of show. All of those shows are from this year.

I actually really enjoyed Hyouka, will give Tsruitama a go thanks

K is a pretty quality anime worth checking out ah and Blast of Tempest too.

I wouldn't miss Tsuritama and Hyouka from this year.

This season is just beginning so I am careful with recommendations a couple of weeks (and episodes) in the opinions will soldify.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

Sakamichi and Bebop really aren't similar shows, so it's kind of hard to tell what you're looking for (other than that it has to be good).

Are you looking for shows only from this year or season? How much have you been keeping up with anime since Bebop? I really need more information to work with. :(

Anyway, simply limiting it to this season, Tonari No Kaibutsu-kun and JoJo both had very strong opening episodes.

a lot of pretty boy with explosion shows this season.

And this might be sacrilege, but the SAO 14 fight reminded me of the final fight in sword of strangers for some reason T_T.

duckroll

Do you think a 22 episode cop anime about a dystopian future which is a mix of Minority Report and Ghost in the Shell sounds exciting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom